AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-09-22, 00:01   Link #1581
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

You know I'm pretty good with a bow, except I usually shoot for sport and not hunting or defense.

Also I think the hedgehog's musket idea is pretty clever.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 06:56   Link #1582
Lost Cause

The idea of using black powder rifles for game is a good one, but since we're always needing to resupply/restock our ammunition I don't see why we couldn't use .22s for hunting.
Also I think the manufacture of black powder is relatively simple, it is highly combustible! Which means we could use it for our own IEDs.
I think this topic warrants further discussion!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 13:10   Link #1583
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Yeah, .22's are perfect for small game hunting. I don't see why a small tactical carbine like the Kel-Tec SU-22 wouldn't work. It's also pretty cheap at around $350, which is anywhere from $100 to $200 cheaper than similar tactical carbines. It also only weighs 4 pounds stock, which is pretty nice, too. (I want to get one)
Old 2010-09-22, 16:27   Link #1584
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
The idea of using black powder rifles for game is a good one, but since we're always needing to resupply/restock our ammunition I don't see why we couldn't use .22s for hunting.
Also I think the manufacture of black powder is relatively simple, it is highly combustible! Which means we could use it for our own IEDs.
I dont know much about manufacturing black powder to actually get into a discussion about it But I think SaintessHeart knows alot about it if you read "Homemade Weaponry" in the Zombie Social Group thread
Old 2010-09-22, 17:29   Link #1585
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Black powder is harder to make than it seems, and it fouls up the barrel more than smokeless.

With a little more chemistry equipment like a conical flask, I could whip up nitrocellulose. If only I could find my old high school Chemistry notes....I wrote the chemical reaction in there somewhere that took up the entire of an empty page.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 17:42   Link #1586
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Not to mention black powder is absolutely filthy... you'd be cleaning your weapon continuously just to prevent catastrophic build up.
Old 2010-09-22, 19:53   Link #1587
Lost Cause

I do know that it is highly corrosive as well! But still it could be a viable alternative to using what precious few real explosives we might have. Also the stuff STINKS!! Every time my Uncle touches off his homemade cannon, you can smell it for an hour! So the stuff might be good for distractions too.
But for shooting game the .22 makes more sense, since it's QUIET (compared to centerfire pistols, rifles, and shotguns) and it's easy to learn with. I'll leave the particulars to SaintessHeart!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-09-22, 19:56   Link #1588
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
I do know that it is highly corrosive as well! But still it could be a viable alternative to using what precious few real explosives we might have. Also the stuff STINKS!! Every time my Uncle touches off his homemade cannon, you can smell it for an hour! So the stuff might be good for distractions too.
But for shooting game the .22 makes more sense, since it's QUIET (compared to centerfire pistols, rifles, and shotguns) and it's easy to learn with. I'll leave the particulars to SaintessHeart!
Always leave it to SaintessHeart to cover up the chemistry things
Old 2010-09-22, 21:49   Link #1589
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Always leave it to SaintessHeart to cover up the chemistry things
I am not a chemist. I am just a high school flunkie who did badly in his exams, but somehow manage to score top marks in science practicals.

Guess I am not a theory person.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 22:49   Link #1590
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
My dad has a couple of black powder rifles. I'm not that into them, and won't be including any in my collection. Also, I don't think their accuracy is as good as modern weaponry.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 23:42   Link #1591
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
My dad has a couple of black powder rifles. I'm not that into them, and won't be including any in my collection. Also, I don't think their accuracy is as good as modern weaponry.
musket vs. m16.... M16 WIN
Old 2010-09-23, 10:13   Link #1592
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
musket vs. m16.... M16 WIN
Well it's not just the M16... In terms of accuracy, I'd take any of my rifles over a musket anyday.
Old 2010-09-23, 10:31   Link #1593
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Well it's not just the M16... In terms of accuracy, I'd take any of my rifles over a musket anyday.
it looks frightening in colonial days due to its big boom and smoky effect but NEVER accurate more than 50 yards tho
Old 2010-09-23, 13:44   Link #1594
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I'd take a pistol over a musket, if it comes to that. It's probably more accurate, anyway.

Lead balls have the accuracy of spitwads as far as I'm concerned.
Old 2010-09-23, 14:01   Link #1595
james0246

It's been a good 80 pages (good job all), but I'm thinking a change needs to be made.

What would you (the 7-8 regular posters in this thread) say about turning this thread into a general Apocalypse Survival Thread rather than the specific Zombie-Apocalypse.

It would be very interesting to discuss different survival strategies based on different Apocalypses/Apocalypsi (not the religious ones, though), comparing and contrasting the effects and how humanity would survive (if it would survive). Zombies could still be discussed, but other scenarios would also be presented.

Last edited by james0246; 2010-09-23 at 14:02. Reason: Added emphasis to draw the eye...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 16:58   Link #1596
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It's been a good 80 pages (good job all), but I'm thinking a change needs to be made.

What would you (the 7-8 regular posters in this thread) say about turning this thread into a general Apocalypse Survival Thread rather than the specific Zombie-Apocalypse.

It would be very interesting to discuss different survival strategies based on different Apocalypses/Apocalypsi (not the religious ones, though), comparing and contrasting the effects and how humanity would survive (if it would survive). Zombies could still be discussed, but other scenarios would also be presented.
I would be okay with the change. Either way, as long as we still get to talk about zombies now and then, I'm cool with it.
Old 2010-09-23, 17:13   Link #1597
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:

I dont mind the changes at all
Old 2010-09-23, 19:18   Link #1598
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I would be okay with the change. Either way, as long as we still get to talk about zombies now and then, I'm cool with it.
Agreed. As long as Zombie discussion is not banned from this thread, I'm okay with it.
Old 2010-09-23, 19:23   Link #1599
Lost Cause

Quote:

As long as everybody else is for it, ok. But I'm with Spectacular Insanity on keeping the zombies in it, from time to time!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-09-23, 19:48   Link #1600
james0246

Trust me; I would never do-away with Zombie discussion .

I'm going to change the title now, and add some basic ground rules to the OP:
1) Basic courtesies apply, and try to keep the discussion focused on the topic at hand.

2) All possible Apocalypses/Apocalypsi are allowable, save for Religious themed Apocalypse. If I see Jesus (etc), then you will get warned, infracted, or banned (depending on my mood or the severity of the revelation ).

3) Try to complete one survival discussion at a time (this isn't a stringent rule, just a possible way of keeping the overall conversation on track). It's hard to sustain several different Apocalypses at the same time, so let's try and focus on an individual Apocalypse and how we could potentially survive (points if you can survive without a Gun ).

If anyone wishes to set-up a revolving field of discussion (Plague, War, Natural Disaster, Alien Invasion, Triffids, back to Plague, etc), I would be more than happy to moderate the discussion, and even post the discussion time-table in the OP.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, firearms, survive, zombies