AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-26, 12:17   Link #41
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Here it is:

BD

5,455 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren Vol.1

DVD
800 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren Vol.1

Total:
6,255 copies.

Now compared to season 1 sales for Vol.1 first week:
16,782 copies

Shichimiya's tears made people reluctant to buy the series and others to cancel the reservations. As expected, Kyoani, you're doing it wrong .
it's unfair compare with first season, the second half of last year and the beginner of this year many animes have low sales, then is expectat not be close to the first season, this season deal pretty good compared with current animes sales, this anime with mikakunin and witchcraft works are doing awesome jobs if you look to numbers from others series as well, this not was a bomb compared with kyoani previous works sales, that numbers are more than enought to ensure a third season.
Old 2014-03-26, 12:41   Link #42
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I'm not sure if the "plot" is the problem here, because considering how went the stalker points prior the first BD results, that trend was already present for quite a while, even before we got the "disappointing episodes".

I believe a lot of circumstances went against Chu2koi Ren

1) Due to its chuuni comedy nature, its "fresh" impression was lost de facto, so of course it will attract far less curious buyers.

2) Due to being a sequel, it is obvious it will not sell as much as the first season (there are VERY few exceptions to this rule, generally very big franchises)

3) Chu2koi S1 was aired on Fall 2012. Chu2koi Ren aired on Winter 2013-2014. What does it imply? Timing of the BD. Chu2koi Ren vol1 is being released during a very very busy time of the year: end of the second semester for high schoolers, exam entrance preparations, many events being scheduled, video games releases etc.
So you have free time and, sometimes, budget being quite limited. Even other big contendants like Mikakunin and Saki barely made to the 5-6K treshold. Only Shingeki final BD could break 10K benchmark, so it tells you a lot how march 2014 was harsh on people more than usual.
So unless you have huge blockbuster like Madoka, Nisemono or LoveLive, sales for winter series are pretty weak in general.

4) Unless I'm mistaken, the first BD of Chu2koi Ren doesn't have any event ticket or record about the seiyuu, unlike the first one that had the latter. This is important since Chu2koi seiyuu weren't exactly known back in S1, so people were way more curious about them, especially Uchida and Sumipe.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2014-03-26 at 13:09.
Old 2014-03-26, 13:58   Link #43
Birdway
Banned

I also think the way the stadd handled the story board or compostion were poorly done.
Old 2014-03-26, 14:01   Link #44
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I won't disagree, since I also believe the composition is sloppy. But that alone doesn't explain this sales slump, and like I said, the stalker points weren't exactly great either, despite it isn't like anything bad happened when this trend occured (around ep 3-4 IIRC).

In general, anime BD volume 1 sales are heavily dependant on the hype, and extra (event tickets etc). I rarely have seen vol 1 sales drastically increased/decreased by the series composition.
It is another story for volume 2 and thereafter, however.
Old 2014-03-26, 15:05   Link #45
Frontier

Though I wonder, what with Kyoani moving towards doing primarily original works, if this drop in sales would deter them from doing a hypothetical season 3 of Chuunibyou?
Old 2014-03-26, 23:18   Link #46
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Though I wonder, what with Kyoani moving towards doing primarily original works, if this drop in sales would deter them from doing a hypothetical season 3 of Chuunibyou?
Probably depends on if they come up with a really good idea for it, what's in future novel volumes when they come (even if they don't really follow them), and what else is in the pipeline. As was noted, sales in general for this season are fairly low, and despite the numbers, this is still one of the top-sellers. It's still probably a safer bet than some random things they could try. But, then again, given that they're publishing the novels as well, there's a lot more in KyoAni's favour than just the BD sales. Medium-good disc sales but a boost in novel and other merchandise sales could still tip the scales.

Also, would echo what Klashikari about second season anime comedies; this sort of sharp drop is actually almost the normal pattern. Comedies seem especially prone to the "new shiny" factor with disc sales. (I personally held off on buying any BDs this season for other reasons, but I suppose I'm one more stat to add to the pile since I did buy the first season.)
Old 2014-04-10, 15:43   Link #47
Gravitas Free Zone

I just got a message from Crunchyroll that my preorder of Chuunibyou S1 was cancelled, because Sentai cancelled production of the sub-only release so they can do a sub+dub release later in the year.

http://sentaifilmworks.tumblr.com/po...chunibyo-other

(Preorder for that is not available yet, pending all the usual details.)

I feel conflicted.
Old 2014-04-11, 15:13   Link #48
Frontier

Are you conflicted over the fact that your order got cancelled, but that now you can get the season 1 release with both a sub and a dub? Or are you conflicted because it'll have a dub now ?
Old 2014-04-11, 20:50   Link #49
Gravitas Free Zone

I'd have been perfectly happy having the sub-only version earlier instead of both later. The Sentai dubs have been serviceable at best, but certainly not things I've gone out of my way to hear.
Closed Thread