AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-01, 15:02   Link #61
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 4:
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 15:06   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Our teacher has us do hiragana puzzles for purposes of torture...

speaking of which, I gave up on waiting for someone to sub this and downloaded the first two raws.... omg - brilliance, like a sweetened puree of AzuDa, PPD, and Mahoraba (the teacher kept giving me Mahoraba sensei vibes ). Sadly, when characters start blistering dialog more than a few sentences at a time I lose the thread but okay.. 90% of the episode I was smiling or laughing just at the imagery, much less the situations (snowfight, assignment tragedy, afterschool study at the kotatsu). And I think its the first time I've seen a snowballfight in front of a bamboo grove... thumbs up.

Hasn't *anyone* owned up to subbing this?
Old 2007-02-01, 15:12   Link #63
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
It seems the theme of 2007 is Comedy with wacky young girls going balls to the wall, and Remakes of old Mecha shows. We've got Manabi, Hidamari, Saint October and on the other front countless reimaginations of and new applications of mecha shows only me and maybe 5 other people I know have heard of. Unfortunately I can't even watch this until I finish Pani Poni Dash or I may end up getting my characters and events mixed up.

This is more to my liking from the screenshots than Manabi Straight with its bizzarly proportioned and pudgy looking high school girls. Plus hopefully no pointless singing just for the sake of selling singles for the voice actors. This seems to be straight to the point in terms of comedy and not about the promoting voice actors as the Manabi Straight seems to be doing. Plus from the clips I've seen I don't like the Manabi characters much at all, especially the main character who is fairly shallow in my opinion and it's to much about look at Manabi she's awesome, LOOK AT HER! I don't like it when certain character's get worshipped by everybody else in a show and are too incredible (The anime version of Suzumiya Haruhi took this to extremes at times making the anime version of the character almost unbearable compared to much more subtle and flawed Haruhi from the novel's narrative). Mostly though the character designs are really just not to my liking. Thus, if I'm going to watch any show with a mostly female cast this year it will be this one.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-02-01 at 15:32.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-02, 16:57   Link #64
paTKany
Aasu Ⅷ

Send a message via MSN to paTKany
Trivia for episode 2:

The newspaper was a Pani Poni reference.
The newspaper which appeared here also appeared in Pani Poni Dash ep24 with the same title 宮田ダム決壊ス (Miyata Dam broken).
paTKany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-03, 18:19   Link #65
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep4 even raises my already fairly high level of satisfaction with this show. I know Gotou Yuuko can sing better than that, so I'm admiring their willingness to sing karaoke-offtune for the sake of sweet comedy. It's the voice acting and the art that do it for me. The newcomer, Asami Kana, really has a wonderful voice. The visual beauty and elegance, and the rhythms of the way they do things visually, are just sugoi. And I am totally in love with the ED, by marble.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-02-03 at 19:03.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 07:51   Link #66
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

hahaha, I finally finished episode 4 summary + thoughts of Hidamari Sketch. Luckily enough, some of the linguistic jokes are caught since they are much simpler.

I do wonder whether I missed out any of them...
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 14:09   Link #67
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ahh where would i be without impz's summary
the statue part was soo random it hurts my laughing organ

edit: ps...no subbers!? *curses* T_T

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS

Last edited by Deathkillz; 2007-02-04 at 14:20.
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 18:29   Link #68
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
I needed two different days to watch these 4 eps. It feels so heavy with just talking that it makes my head hurt and hard to follow. Maybe because it's slice of life (not bad thing actually) with real like characters and situations that it feels boring. I haven't formed emotional bond to any of girls either. Jokes goes over my head maybe I'm not only one . And thats not only thing (only god knows), but Yunos character gives me Princess Sakura vibes (She's so very one sided) from Tsubasa Chronicle as by look and voice that I first thought Yuno was having same VA.
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 20:55   Link #69
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
ahh where would i be without impz's summary
the statue part was soo random it hurts my laughing organ

edit: ps...no subbers!? *curses* T_T
T_T no subbers yet?

I do want to rewatch this with english subs too >_<
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-05, 11:18   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm just bad enough with japanese language that it usually takes a few runs to have the remotest idea what is going on with the dialog heavy sections (and even then I miss most of the punnery). Fortunately, the art and action communicate a good portion of what is going on.
Here's hoping that one or more of our PPD-experienced groups (who've had practice with footnoting and such) pick the show up. Hopefully will get to sit down with ep 4 today at lunch.

edit: okay.. I caught less than a 1/4 of the dialog <sigh> but thanks for the Impz guides. Still a pleasure to watch just for the animation art and the voice acting moe <heh>. Too bad we didn't get more sensei karaoke.... (she was quite a hilarious little innocent tart in ep 3).

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-02-05 at 17:04.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-08, 18:05   Link #71
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 5:
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-08, 19:07   Link #72
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Shintani-Subs have released the first episode - GO SEE~
Old 2007-02-08, 19:33   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

<squeal==little-girl-squid-frequency> .... <scampers off>
Old 2007-02-08, 19:49   Link #74
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

We used the regular version because we wanted to get something out there and using the widescreen raw would've required a complete re-time of all the scripts.

Sorry to anyone who wanted a widescreen release, there will be one eventually.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-08, 20:18   Link #75
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

argh... but eh... perhaps this will increase fan exposure and buzz

Thanks for forewarning us
Old 2007-02-08, 21:02   Link #76
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I like the screenshots where they look so awesomely chibi and have Ditto (The Pokemon) eyes. Hopefully this is a viable replacement for when I'm done Pani Poni Dash, because it seems to have that habit of random chibi that I love so much. Believe it or not the all time champion of random chibi for me was Transformer's Car Robots. Go figure. But ugh, Yuko Goto, ugh is all I have to say. Sigh..... not even going to pretend to hope that I won't hate her character, you've got to have at least one character you don't care for in every series though. Still I doubt she'll take the whole thing down, no one character or voice actor can ruin an entire series by themselves. Plus I've had good experiences with a lot of series done by SHAFT. They are the kind of company you expect nothing from, yet they manage to deliver a solid product almost all the time.

Though anyone notice there's like way to many series with all female casts lately (Teams of 5 or so girls), what is up with that, sure its harmless (though if it becomes a trend it will just be beyond bizarre and frankly pandering to male sexual instincts, which will probably cause a crisis of faith in me so severe that I will say that anime is no longer a market for everybody, but just a select otaku group), but its strange and slightly worrying. I kind of wouldn't mind a major character who is a guy in my modern anime more than every every 5 or so new series. I don't know maybe they want to open up a larger female demographic for a while, another market entirely and that's what its all about. Well, at least it hasn't gotten to the point of trend, it may just be a coincidence, there's probably very little chance of that being the wave of the future beyond my paranoia.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-02-09 at 02:36.
Old 2007-02-08, 21:35   Link #77
Jiji
*Scanlator

Widescreen...no ws...whatever. I was starting to worry that there would be no fansub of this at all. All things considered, I would prefer the BS-i ws, but I'll take what I can get. Big thanks to the Angel Tai for doing this.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-08, 21:45   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@Kaio: that trend has been noticed (repeatedly by my wife) ... that the material in a lot of anime seems to be exceedingly focused on "girl groups". In AzuDa, they covered by having guys in the class occasionally be involved such that you could see that guys *were* in the world though none of the girls had a boyfriend (which they would lament occasionally). Here, although there are male shapes in the class --- its like they don't exist for the girls. The manga material and the anime are tending to over-cater to an audience which appears to want a "girl only" story.... which tends to further diverge expectations from reality.

I don't particularly want to see "all male" shows -- but it really isn't that hard to create a few male characters to add to the mix and show that male-female *friendships* can exist. I could go on a soapbox about the expectations crisis between males and females in Japan but thats a derail.

All that said, Hidamari Sketch is still gold and I'm anxious to see how the subtitles match up to my 'raw guesses' at dialog.
Old 2007-02-08, 22:10   Link #79
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
But ugh, Yuko Goto, ugh is all I have to say. Sigh..... not even going to pretend to hope that I won't hate her character, you've got to have at least one character you don't care for in every series though. Still I doubt she'll take the whole thing down, no one character or voice actor can ruin an entire series by themselves.
This Yuko Gotou isn't your standard Squeek-tan voice (Mikuru Asahina, Nanami Konoe). It's a voice far more calm and mature than those, more so than Kaede Fuyou was.

Except for when Sae needles at her for fun and she goes crazy. >_>

She doesn't have enough lines to ruin the show anyway, the majority of them belong to Yuno and Miyako.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-08, 23:31   Link #80
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
@Kaio: that trend has been noticed (repeatedly by my wife) ... that the material in a lot of anime seems to be exceedingly focused on "girl groups". In AzuDa, they covered by having guys in the class occasionally be involved such that you could see that guys *were* in the world though none of the girls had a boyfriend (which they would lament occasionally). Here, although there are male shapes in the class --- its like they don't exist for the girls. The manga material and the anime are tending to over-cater to an audience which appears to want a "girl only" story.... which tends to further diverge expectations from reality.

I don't particularly want to see "all male" shows -- but it really isn't that hard to create a few male characters to add to the mix and show that male-female *friendships* can exist. I could go on a soapbox about the expectations crisis between males and females in Japan but thats a derail.

All that said, Hidamari Sketch is still gold and I'm anxious to see how the subtitles match up to my 'raw guesses' at dialog.
No, I just figure since there are males in the real world, they should exist in the anime world too. I don't think I could watch an all male show either as it would feel just as weird and as far as I know its never happened either and with good reason. I just want to get inside the heads of some of the studio execs as lately some of their choices for material have been bizarre at the very least. I swear its like every other month I'm out of the loop for almost every aspect of life and nobody cares what I'm interested in and then the next month its all about my interests in games, anime, TV etc. and I have to hear about how much my shows suck.

Let's just keep on improving though with shows like Hidamari Sketch that combine comedy with slice of life without taking themselves too seriously (Like Haruhi tried to do but failed because the audience took it too seriously for some reason I'm not too sure of). At least it feels like they are trying to make these shows more interesting for my demographic. If there going to do the all female cast, at least they're making efforts to make it fun instead of soap operaish.

I don't no how long I can go with Manabi Straight the other all girl show though as it doesn't seem to have a plot and nothing about it is particularly funny or hilarious except for some of the character quirks, which have already gotten old. I honestly think I'm done with that one, but I know people will eat it up in its simplicity, but simple series are just not for me unless they are entertaining in some way like Pani Poni Dash. Worst of all though is that the series seems to be going the famous people angle that some Hollywood movies do when they are worried the series can't hold its own weight in plot so they get a bunch of top faces to do the parts in an effort to draw in more people.

Also thank god Yuko Goto has mixed it up a bit because that voice could get really annoying.

Tags
comedy, school life, seinen, shaft, slice of life