AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 25 Rating
Perfect 10 108 70.13%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 17.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 7.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.95%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-16, 11:11   Link #101
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Eden View Post
If it weren't for the glasses this would have been 10/10 - but... meh..
Is Gainax SERIOUS?
It's a homage, just like all the new costumes have been.
Old 2007-09-16, 11:18   Link #102
Tehillusion
Pew Pew Pwn

sorry to ask some noobish question..

1. What is Gainax?
2. what is GAR?

cheers,
TehIllusion
Old 2007-09-16, 11:36   Link #103
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Gainax -
Gainax Company, Limited (株式会社ガイナックス, Kabushiki-gaisha Gainakkusu?) is a Japanese anime studio most well known for the series Neon Genesis Evangelion and its ambitious, experimental works and ambiguous endings.

GAR -
Widely considered to be /a/'s most famous meme. GAR, also spelt Gar or gar, is a term used to describe an anime character that is the epitome of what it means to be manly and badass. Individuals of this standard are as rare as they are awesome, emotionally overwhelming those watching to the point of orgasming in surprise and excitement or sobbing uncontrollably in a flush of admiration.

It has been described as a neologism of the Latin "virtus", an ancient (and forgotten) Roman concept glorifying men who strive for a life of courage, self-sacrifice, cunning, overcoming the impossible and honoring those who die a worthy death. Virtus for the Romans and Greeks was not sexual love (eros), but a deep respect requiring a higher sense of admiration and comeraderie neglected in the modern era.

Originally applied solely to Archer, a character from Fate/stay night, due to the harmony of the two words (Gay for ARcher). Allegedly derived through a typo by an Anonymous expressing love/admiration for Archer after his gutsy last stand in episode fourteen of Fate/stay night. That Anonymous intended to say, "I'm Gay for Archer", but mistakenly typed "I'm Gar for Archer".
Old 2007-09-16, 11:39   Link #104
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Send a message via MSN to Dave1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehillusion View Post

1. What is Gainax?
2. what is GAR?

cheers,
TehIllusion
1. You're seriously asking this?
2. In short: 4chan meme: began when someone wrote: "I'm gar for Archer" instead of "gey". From that time the term GAR evolved quite a bit and now refers to individuals that make any man question his manhood (the best example of GAR is Guts from Berserk).
Old 2007-09-16, 11:40   Link #105
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehillusion View Post

1. What is Gainax?
2. what is GAR?

cheers,
TehIllusion
next time go to the Q & A sticky for something like this, or just use a google search.

ex:
1. Gainax: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainax

2. GAR:http://lurkmore.com/wiki/index.php?title=GAR
Old 2007-09-16, 12:29   Link #106
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

My god. That was epic.

Kittan FTW.

Those two minutes...wow. I'm floored yet again.

And did anyone notice the Gunbuster/Diebuster reference?
Old 2007-09-16, 12:44   Link #107
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyougaElliot View Post
My god. That was epic.

Kittan FTW.

Those two minutes...wow. I'm floored yet again.

And did anyone notice the Gunbuster/Diebuster reference?

Yes. Only everyone in this thread.
Old 2007-09-16, 13:38   Link #108
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon_ View Post
Yeah but Simon's got a nose, remember? The sunglasses must fit on it.
In case you haven't noticed, both shades are impossible to wear anyway.

Logic, reason, etc.
Old 2007-09-16, 14:04   Link #109
Midonin
Last Engage

"My companion's feelings have been etched onto my body! I'll turn this eternal darkness into light! Heaven and Earth! One body, one soul! Chou Ginga Gurren Lagann!

There is no other way to describe what took place here but as epic. King Kittan's last fight, the appearance of CGGL...everything that I could say has been said before, really. Even Boota and his Spiral Tail. I can't believe how impressive CGGL is, and that's not even the end of things. Two more episodes to go...I'll be sad to see G-L end, but I have all my hopes that it goes out with a bang.

10/10, excellent episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
In case you haven't noticed, both shades are impossible to wear anyway.

Logic, reason, etc.
Genome's Head In a Tube said it best - "Theoretical calculations are meaningless when it comes to you guys."
Old 2007-09-16, 14:42   Link #110
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
"My companion's feelings have been etched onto my body! I'll turn this eternal darkness into light! Heaven and Earth! One body, one soul! Chou Ginga Gurren Lagann!

There is no other way to describe what took place here but as epic. King Kittan's last fight, the appearance of CGGL...everything that I could say has been said before, really. Even Boota and his Spiral Tail. I can't believe how impressive CGGL is, and that's not even the end of things. Two more episodes to go...I'll be sad to see G-L end, but I have all my hopes that it goes out with a bang.
Someone translated Ikki toushin as one body one soul? That's not correct.
Ikki toushin is a play on words on Ikki tousen.
It means, the one matching the might of a god (or gods).
The original phrase "ikki tousen", which this made-up word "ikki toushin" derives from, means the one matching the might of a thousand.
Old 2007-09-16, 14:48   Link #111
Midonin
Last Engage

I was going by the subs I was given, and it looks like they weren't QUITE right. Thanks for the correction there.
Old 2007-09-16, 14:52   Link #112
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Kittan - Dare I say that he has reached the epic GAR heights that were once only Kamina's. He shall be greatly missed. ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH~!!
Old 2007-09-16, 15:45   Link #113
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Finally saw it good and proper.

Kittan's development in this episode is ASTOUNDING, holy wow. He had a fudgeton of elaboration in the first half and it culiminated in the latter half. I think folks can stop with the, "Kittan's a cheap imitation of Kamina" from now on - he himself pretty much admitted that and Yoko objected with the contrary.

Methinks that, "super dense space turns into an ocean!" stuff wasn't needed at all. I understand it was Leeron's attempt to understand the situation, but it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, I'd have rather him not try to work out the mechanics at all. Space is the seperation between objects, the presence of nothing, it shouldn't have a form whatsoever. If he was referring to "outer space" I suppose dark matter could take on a liquid form at sufficient pressure but dark matter has the ability to convert spiral energy into "raw" energy?

...yeah, that whole segment was confusing, though badarse. Anyone got some ideas on what to make of it?

And no logic, reason, etc. remarks please. Just humour me.
Old 2007-09-16, 16:06   Link #114
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

reason,kick, curb etc.

That's all the logic you will ever need. Ever.

Spoiler for .:
Old 2007-09-16, 17:15   Link #115
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

Hey, I just wanted to make sure. You'd be surprised by the things people miss sometimes. =p

Two more episodes left. I'm feeling really sad and a bit nostalgic now. Still, Kittan definitely got the moment he deserved, and I'm glad Yoko objected to his statement.
Old 2007-09-16, 17:17   Link #116
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
yeah, that whole segment was confusing, though badarse. Anyone got some ideas on what to make of it?
it was all just so they could have a giant robot rise out of water in the middle of a typhoon. no more, no less. 0_o
Old 2007-09-16, 18:10   Link #117
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Sorry, I have to ruin the fun of booting logic around for now.

Well, the space where they are fighting isn't really space as we know it - it's an alternate universe that the Anti-Spirals created as a trap. So giant ocean of Spiral Doom makes perfect sense to people who sail in flying planet-sized Mt. Rushmore-looking ships and attack with hands and feet...that have faces in the joints, fingertips and toes...
Old 2007-09-16, 18:39   Link #118
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
it was all just so they could have a giant robot rise out of water in the middle of a typhoon. no more, no less. 0_o
As I said, there shouldn't have been any explanation, then. There are some weird stuff in this show that we can pass off for cosmetic or awesome effect, like the Daiganzan's visible shells, sweat-drops, the green Getter Rays spiral energy or Kittan's eyes. Those kinds of issues aren't plot-centric, they're just there to look cool.

The sea is a whole different issue, it was the focus of this episode and the writer's "logical" explanation isn't enough. Too much was explained, leaving little up to the imagination, but the explanation doesn't make much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Well, the space where they are fighting isn't really space as we know it - it's an alternate universe that the Anti-Spirals created as a trap. So giant ocean of Spiral Doom makes perfect sense to people who sail in flying planet-sized Mt. Rushmore-looking ships and attack with hands and feet...that have faces in the joints, fingertips and toes...
Is it really an alternate dimension, or just a place far away? The trap seemed like what an Interdictor Cruiser from Star Wars did - used gravity well projectors to pull people out of "hyper-space" and prevent them from getting to their destination. It would seem to me Simon and the Great Gurren Gang were en route to the Anti-Spiral homeworld and got pulled into this space by the Anti-Spirals.

I like the explanation of it being an alternate world were classical and contemporary physics don't apply, but Leeron's explanation still bugs the heck out of me because he calls the area "space", but clearly it's something else because it converts spiral energy into more of the sea. It's not simply "super dense space", and even then, woudln't super dense space go solid, as in singularity? I'd imagine it to be difficult to stay in liquid form.
Old 2007-09-16, 18:48   Link #119
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

I think that it's more logical for super dense "space" to go liquid first before solid. Space is pervasive in nature, so only gases and liquids are the more reasonable media to have that property. Yeah it sounds like hogwash but after you compress something like "space", a liquid space seems more probable than solid space. I mean if Simon can punch a hole into a different dimension, how is different from the Anti Spirals compressing space with anti spiral properties into an ocean? It's all bull crap entertainment anyway.
Old 2007-09-16, 18:54   Link #120
U<3Anime
Boo!

O MAN, EVEN BOOTA IS GAR!!!!! He's my new hero :3. Seriously, why ganaix have to give kittan a kiss of death. I kind of find it sily that they are doing the same thing again. Yoko is cursed! Looks like she can never fall in love with anybody lol