AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your fav type of anime/manga? (MULTIPLE CHOICE)
Mecha 97 25.06%
Shonen 119 30.75%
Shojo 91 23.51%
Comedy 237 61.24%
Action 170 43.93%
Adventure 140 36.18%
Drama 152 39.28%
Romance 195 50.39%
Fantasy 145 37.47%
Sci-Fi 114 29.46%
Sports 25 6.46%
Harem 77 19.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-08-19, 22:10   Link #161
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
I love me some ERO

It's a main tie between action and comedy genres, action stuff along the lines of Ghost in the Shell, Samurai Champloo, and Hellsing, and comedy stuff along the lines of Haruhi and FLCL...I [i]would[i] count mecha, but I only like so few of them, and I generally watch them because of the action, RahXephon and Eureka Seven being the two...

Shounen like Bleach and Negima come behind that, though I would probably also place that under action in terms of main interest, since I don't call them shounen...

I used to be into romance, but I'm not anymore; I hate the genre, but I'm selective to specific titles like Shuffle! and Suzuka...

Drama may become more dominant if there were more stuff like Death Note...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 04:48   Link #162
emotionless_teenage
mr. nice guy

i watch mostly shounen/shoujo manga,withs some ecchi inside.i also like to watch mecha anime(well,at least,recently).i guess i like all genres of anime
(including the 'reserved for pervs'genre,don't get me wrong)

btw,any guys watching anime with yaoi genre?(or girls watching yuri anime.lol)
emotionless_teenage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 15:21   Link #163
Aikoh

Send a message via AIM to Aikoh Send a message via MSN to Aikoh
I love all boys' comics when it comes to manga titles (which means both seinen and shōnen, though shōnen is my favorite even with all of its usual formulas) but when it comes to anime titles, I tend to lean more towards the comedy genre.
Aikoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 02:42   Link #164
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

A manga with good humor will win.
Old 2009-08-08, 03:38   Link #165
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I enjoy animes the most that have a slightly serious feel to them, so I guess that would be Seinen/Drama/Tragedy stuff. Action/Gunfights/Swordplay don't need to feature, I'm content with a good story and dialogue alone.

After that I enjoy light hearted romance animes (which usually feature comedy).
Old 2009-08-10, 04:18   Link #166
lolitaninja

I'm open to pretty much any genre as long as I like the characters and synopsis. Also, it's got to have at least some comedy or else it would be boring. Good artwork and cool music also help, although they're not as essential as the first two aspects I mentioned.

However, I try to avoid harem shows b/c their all basically the same! One dull, uninteresting guy has a flock of disparate (as well as desperate) girls follow him for no logical reason. It's all getting formulaic and tiring and I crave the quirky and different!
lolitaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 11:46   Link #167
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Humor and rom-com are preferred. Used to find date-sim adaptations interesting but now only if they rework the material substantially (e.g. convert to a triangle (Canvas 2), convert to a straight couple romance (Lamune), convert to an ensemble (KKPR)). The simplistic "serial adventure choose the girl" I find far too lacking anymore.
Romances based on light novels (e.g. Toradora) or manga (e.g. Lov*Com) tend to fare better with me.
The humor can either be 'manzai'-rific (L*S, PPD, GA Art, etc) or 'slice-o-life' (ARIA, AzuDa, Kanamemo, etc).
Old 2009-08-10, 15:47   Link #168
4Tran

I'm an omnivorous viewer, so I watch pretty much any genre with the exception of sports anime and shounen fighting anime. Right now, I'm watching a fair number of sports anime (4 titles), so even that restriction isn't very strong. There are some genres that I like more than others, like comedies, shows with well-fleshed out science fiction and fantasy universes and well-detailed wars. However, I'm also a lot more critical of these kinds of shows as well, and I tend to be unforgiving in the errors of execution. This is especially true of comedy as there are a lot of styles that I'm not too fond of (especially comedy that's overly reliant on parody or that has forced gag elements or that have inappropriate comic timing). That sort of leaves drama as a perennial favorite as I'm a lot less critical of these kinds of shows. I prefer to think of "shoujo" more as a style of storytelling than as a genre, but I tent to prefer shoujo-esque shows over most other styles.

The exception to all of the above are SHAFT shows. Nowadays, these get an automatic thumbs-down from me as I find all of their recent works unwatchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Humor and rom-com are preferred. Used to find date-sim adaptations interesting but now only if they rework the material substantially (e.g. convert to a triangle (Canvas 2), convert to a straight couple romance (Lamune), convert to an ensemble (KKPR)). The simplistic "serial adventure choose the girl" I find far too lacking anymore.
There's a lot of truth to this. Simply speaking, the visual novel games are structurally very different from anime, and any production that doesn't take this into account is sort of doomed to mediocrity. As such, it's the works that take the pains to adapt their work so that it functions well with the new medium. In particular, the distilling of multiple story paths into a single branching storyline with the odd side story works much better than trying to portray all of the major elements of all of the paths. The latter usually just leads to muddled storytelling without delivering the payoffs that the stories deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Romances based on light novels (e.g. Toradora) or manga (e.g. Lov*Com) tend to fare better with me.
The humor can either be 'manzai'-rific (L*S, PPD, GA Art, etc) or 'slice-o-life' (ARIA, AzuDa, Kanamemo, etc).
In a similar fashion, I tend to prefer anime either based on novels or that are original works than those based on games or manga. In the case of novel adaptations, this offers the creators a chance to deviate much more in order to accomodate the new format, which generally makes for a smoother transition. Novels are often better written and more open to experimentation than manga or games as well - that they are less prone to the character-archetype trap is a bonus.
Old 2009-08-11, 09:07   Link #169
White Lady
Dryad of death

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning
Send a message via Yahoo to White Lady
My favorites are:Shojo,Romance,Comedy,Horror,and Fantasy
White Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 09:47   Link #170
DidCart

Comedy is the best genre of animes by far!
And I love Mecha too!
DidCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 16:09   Link #171
Bri

Problem with a poll like this is that you can pretty much capture all anime with the genres action, suspense, drama, romance, comedy and psychological.

The rest are for the most part subgenres/themes that combine one or more of the above in a particular setting.

The poll results show that the most universal genres come out on top. Not surprising as you can't like mecha, shonen or harem, without liking any of those universal genres. For example, harem is usually a mix of romance and comedy with a male and several women. Sci-fi can be any of the above in a technological more advanced setting. Fantasy is similar but has magic instead of technology. Mecha is a sub-genre of Sci-fi with robots etc.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 09:10   Link #172
Snickripep
I like MUDKIPZ! :3

I was saddened to see no "Horror" option available.
T.T
Oh well.
I chose drama.
Snickripep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 09:20   Link #173
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
I voted for comedy and romance. Also, I enjoy slice of life.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 10:22   Link #174
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

My favourite are mystery animes, especially those which requires lots of thinking and logic to understand. (Voted for drama becoz it seemed the closest)

Next fav would be humor/horror. a tie here. Quite Bipolar I noe, but its just me.
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 11:21   Link #175
Cipher

Seinen Seinen Seinen...best animes are all seinens..(monster, s&w, gto, dn)..they don't hold back...fornification, murder, violence, corruption, abnormal behaviors---all aspects of realism are included....usually..
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 13:04   Link #176
Patch&Quilt

I like anime from all genre's. But, psychological/fantasy/drama ones are usually of the highest quality imo.
Patch&Quilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 13:11   Link #177
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

I think yuri is covered by comedy. Done.
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 15:44   Link #178
janipani

Best are those that are able to mix many in one, but worst are probably those who fail doing it. It's like this, it is cool, when drama and romance happens while battles and story are developing. Actually drama and romance is just right spices to make battles more interesting and meaningful.

However, if it is actually drama, comedy or romance spiced with little light battles, mechas and others to make it more shonen like. It probably is just too tasteless. Well everything depends on how deeply and seriously those things are adapted to story.

It happens too often, that something very recycled is tried to revive by adding something that happens to be hot at the moment. Like harem comedy at mecha battling universe.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 15:55   Link #179
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
I think yuri is covered by comedy. Done.
I'd say it's comedy, and romance since that how most yuri series handle it. Which happen to be the two genres I like most; though I also like slice of life, and other genres at times, and very very few genres I really dislike[only horror, and heavy gore comes to mind].
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 18:52   Link #180
fer619

Send a message via AIM to fer619 Send a message via MSN to fer619
i like harem animes and anything ecchi
fer619 is offline   Reply With Quote