AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-03, 12:19   Link #1
Kakkou
Tch.

Devil Survivor [Manga]

Official announcement.

Well, I figured I may as well make a thread for this to bring more attention to it (and avoid turning the Persona 4 anime thread into a DS discussion thread).

It's set to begin serialisation in Monthly Shonen Sirius, the same magazine as DS character designer Suzuhito Yasuda's Yozakura Quartet, from the 26th of May onwards.

The artist will be Satoru MATSUBA, who doesn't seem to have done anything but a shonen manga called Warasibe that ended in 2009.

If you're wondering why now after all this time, it's because Yasuda's editor ended up playing and clearing Overclocked despite not being much of a gamer. He then wanted a manga of it made.

I'm personally considering getting that issue of Sirius now. Shame it'll be monthly, it'll take forever for this to finish. I'm also excited to finally have a name to call the Protagonist other than Nekomimi.

Last edited by Kakkou; 2012-04-03 at 12:49.
Old 2012-04-03, 12:28   Link #2
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
I've never played the Devil Survivor games so it would be nice to know what is going on through a manga. I will be looking out for this.
Old 2012-04-03, 14:01   Link #3
Shadow5YA

Wait, why isn't Yasuda doing the art then? If his editor got involved, then why got also get the artist who was involved with the game too? It's not like Yasuda hasn't done manga before.
Old 2012-04-03, 22:26   Link #4
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Wait, why isn't Yasuda doing the art then? If his editor got involved, then why got also get the artist who was involved with the game too? It's not like Yasuda hasn't done manga before.
It's not often that the original artist ever gets involved with a manga adaptation of a project they're involved in, I think it's part of the whole "media mix" of franchises where they get different people to work on different parts of the franchise's media, perhaps to keep things fresh?

There is also the matter of the artist not being available to commit to an ongoing serialisation. Yasuda still has Yozakura Quartet to work on amongst other projects he's involved in. This year he's been busy illustrating for the the upcoming DRRR!! BD Box and cover song compilation album as well as being the character designer for some Digimon video game.

That said, being a huge fan of him I would be totally ecstatic at the thought of a DS manga by Yasuda himself.
Old 2012-04-04, 08:15   Link #5
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

26th of may eh? Gotta remember this one.

<3 Devil Survivor
Old 2012-04-04, 08:55   Link #6
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
It's not often that the original artist ever gets involved with a manga adaptation of a project they're involved in, I think it's part of the whole "media mix" of franchises where they get different people to work on different parts of the franchise's media, perhaps to keep things fresh?
Well... yeah, that's normally the case, but I was hoping Yasuda would be an exception because he has done manga before. Oh well, doesn't matter now.

Anyway, I wonder what route the manga would follow.
Old 2012-04-04, 09:01   Link #7
Soji

Shadow5YA@ This something I wonder myself. There is no canon ending from what i know. They can chose whatever they want.
Old 2012-04-04, 10:07   Link #8
Shadow5YA

Well, I would consider Gin/Haru's ending to be the truest ending for multiple reasons, but yeah, there is enough freedom to go with any of the endings.
Old 2012-04-04, 10:11   Link #9
Soji

Shadow5YA@ Well I agree with you here. If we want to chose one a canon or true then that one would be the one to chose. But because altus don't say what ending it's the canon one the author can do what ending/route he want.That's was the reason for my line. Still i'm curios to see how they will made the story in manga .there is part of the story /game that i want see more or better more reaction from the characters and the manga can do this if they do good job.
Old 2012-04-04, 11:45   Link #10
Shadow5YA

Well, unless...

Spoiler for Day 4(?):

All of the routes should be the same up until the 7th day. Considering this is a monthy manga, that'll be a long way to go unless they decide to rush things.
Old 2012-04-04, 11:48   Link #11
Soji

Shadow5YA@ Yeah unless that happen.
Well that's true,but i don't mind if they take their time. I know the story,i just curios to see how they will play the story in the manga. And see characters behavior in the manga. And Mc name in the manga and behavior.
Old 2012-04-05, 17:03   Link #12
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
I'm also excited to finally have a name to call the Protagonist other than Nekomimi.
I just call him

Spoiler for MC spoilers:

It's canon, after all.

I'm expecting this to go the Gin Route. Though that does eliminate an Eighth Day arc for it.

Also, what'll make or break this manga for me is if Naoya
Spoiler for Naoya:
Old 2012-04-26, 04:50   Link #13
Kakkou
Tch.

One month away from the start of the manga! That issue of Sirius will come with a reversible Devil Survivor poster featuring Susuhito Yasuda's art on one side and Satoru Matsuba's on the other. This is what Matsuba's art looks like:

It's not as good as Yasuda's but at least he seems to be trying to stick with the original style.
Old 2012-04-26, 05:13   Link #14
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Can't wait for that (I'm playing DS 2 on DS these days)
Old 2012-04-26, 14:12   Link #15
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I must say that it's pretty good...but well, compared to the original artist in which we're usually see then it might feels strange I don't really mind the characters design, but the MC still seems a bit off to me.

Old 2012-05-28, 02:32   Link #16
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

did anyone found the scan or RAW yet?
Old 2012-05-28, 06:26   Link #17
Kakkou
Tch.

I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, which should hopefully be sometime this week.

Here's a look at the cover of the issue while we wait:

Last edited by Kakkou; 2012-05-28 at 06:40.
Old 2012-06-01, 06:16   Link #18
Kakkou
Tch.

So I got my copy of Shonen Sirius yesterday. The double sided poster has Yasuda's Overclocked cover art on the first side and the cover image of the issue on the other.
Sorry about the lousy pics.
Spoiler for posters + colour spread:

As for the manga itself, Nekomimi's name is Kazuya Minegi (峯岸一哉). Matsuba's art is alright but certainly nowhere as good as Yasuda's. I'm not quite fond of the way his faces look like when heads are drawn at certain angles though. They look disproportionate.

First chapter follows the game closely with a few extra bits like showing the victim of the Aoyama apartment incident being attacked. Yuzu's crush on Nekomi- Kazuya is also very apparent from the get go. Some minor difference from the game is that they meet up with Atsurou at Aoyama park where Kazuya briefly sees Naoya at a distance before the summoning program activates. Yuzu still summons a Pixie but Kazuya and Atsurou get an Ogre and Waira instead of Kobold and Kabuso. I'm really curious to see how they win against those for their first ever fight (with no skills and demons!).

Sample pages:

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this but I found it incredibly amusing that Kazuya was shown listening to Eminem through his headphones, "The Real Slim Shady" to be exact. Is this the mangaka's own taste in music showing?

Last edited by Kakkou; 2012-06-01 at 07:58.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:21   Link #19
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

The art is pretty good although it seems pretty stiffs...
Quote:
Yuzu still summons a Pixie but Kazuya and Atsurou get an Ogre and Waira instead of Kobold and Kabuso. I'm really curious to see how they win against those for their first ever fight (with no skills and demons!).
Godlike luck with ogre missing all of his angry hit attacks? I don't know how they're able to beat Waira though >_>;

Old 2012-06-01, 10:37   Link #20
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
The art is pretty good although it seems pretty stiffs...

Godlike luck with ogre missing all of his angry hit attacks? I don't know how they're able to beat Waira though >_>;
If the P4 anime is any indication, they can take liberties with levels and stats.
Closed Thread