AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-03-17, 12:13   Link #1
dowxp

Exclamation Free Internal Dump FTP's for Fansubbers

3/30/2009

Basically the offer is still up, though now, it is possible to have joint dumps for those who need to share files between two groups.

dedicated ips are available to established groups. with a dedicated ip, you can administer the ftp account directly using g6's admin interface. create multiple accounts with different users, permissions, and directories, etc ..

http://www.g6ftpserver.com/manuals/en/ (part 5)

contact me only through email- dowxp@downloadanime.org
---------------------------
2007-08-31 at 09:46.

I have [a lot of space] for any fansub (or manga) groups who are needed space for Raws, QCs, Encodes, Tc's, edits, Etc. This ftp is not to be used for distro purposes nor is it to be used for release "archiving." There are no space limit and no bandwidth limitations. AFAIK, as long as each group keeps their ftp clean and only transfers what is needed, neither space nor bw should be a real concern for me. The basic rule is: anime only, no warez, mp3s, moves, etc or you may find your account inactive and wiped.

fansub ftps are on a 12x500gb RE2 promise Raid5 on a 100m cogent line.

If still interested, contact me on rizon @ dowserver. you have to be an established fansub group with at least *some* releases.

Please delete thread if this is not allowed.

edit: i forgot to add that SHS is also hosted, though vincent told me everyone hated shs.

--

contact me at dowxp@downloadanime.org

Last edited by dowxp; 2009-03-30 at 10:25.
dowxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 13:47   Link #2
jsnut2
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to jsnut2 Send a message via AIM to jsnut2
sounds interesting I always release hot fresh Hentai series right from the oven
jsnut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 15:42   Link #3
LytHka
Banned

Sounds great for people who need a dump, but what do you want in return?
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 16:11   Link #4
dowxp

Nothing really. just op # access and compliance with the rules.
Old 2006-03-17, 16:15   Link #5
dowxp

Oh I should also mention that I can also provide free anime hosting on the same box provided you have a domain name. Must be anime fansub related. box is the same as the ftp, but the main disk is 15k scsi, not the maxlines.
Old 2006-03-17, 16:56   Link #6
Access

In the old days we would always be careful of offers like this and it was standard practice to insist that, if the dump was not a trustworthy source within the group, PGP or some other type of strong and secure encryption (and typically authentication also) be used to secure any sensitive files. Of course this will make it impossible to identify the actual content on the server, whether it is legit fansub stuff or non-anime stuff expressly prohibited. How does one intend to verify the nature of files stored? Would such inter-group protections be permitted?
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 17:45   Link #7
dowxp

hrm, if that much security needs to be used to secure a QC check, i would hate to work within that group I'm still not really understanding your question.

"identify the actual content on the server?" -> isn't that what the filename is for?
"inter-group protections be permitted?" -> all accounts are jailed to their home directory. there is no shell. so technically groups can't see each other ... :O
Old 2006-03-17, 20:09   Link #8
Access

It's not just QC checks a dump stores, it's, well I'm sure you know -- timed and translated scripts, raws, pre-release test encodes, encoding specifications, etc. Stuff most groups want to keep under wraps.

Filenames can be deceptive, it isn't necessarily what it's labelled as. Warez, mp3s, other illegal stuff could masquerade as legit if filenames are to be relied upon.

Even if accounts are locked to their home directory, security comes down to how much you trust the admins and the server software. In the past (ie. serv-U) it only took something like a simple "cd ..." to confuse the server and make it do something it shouldn't do. Even though these problems have been fixed, it makes you wonder what other simple security flaws are out there and just haven't been "found". Even a software-perfect server is only as trustworthy as the people who run it.
Old 2006-03-17, 20:23   Link #9
Kaunteya
Blondes Inc.

So, we have here a kind soul that helped community already a lot and extends his kindness over to you. All that you can think of is how to exploit it malevolently? It shows how sad fansubbers today are...

dow, don't let this get you down!
Kaunteya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 20:27   Link #10
VincentRPG
Fansubber

Dow's been providing FTP dumps for anime for years, I think he has a pretty good track record of being a great host and not letting fansub politics get to him.

He was quite fair when anime-keep/Conclave split. He sat down with both parties and figured out what was who's , and make sure the others had no access to it.
VincentRPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 20:55   Link #11
Access

Sure I'm just more cautious than most, being around for a long time and having seen all the stuff that's gone on over the years kinda does that to you. I've seen things, scripts stolen by other groups and then used to blackmail groups into dropping series or stalling releases, releases never made because the group leader thought the show was 'too girly' and feared a negative fan response, dirty wars that broke out b'cos one encoder "stole" another's settings, groups spying on other groups and infiltrating each other to "steal" this and that, hacking servers for access or DDOS attacks, IRC bot wars, just about everything. Please don't take it personally, generally these things have come to pass and the scene is much more friendly between groups now; but for me it's still second nature to be careful and use secure computing practices.

What did he do about the members of anime-keep / Conclave who didn't want to choose sides? Were they forced to choose one side or another, or could they maintain membership in both groups?
Old 2006-03-17, 21:06   Link #12
dowxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access
It's not just QC checks a dump stores, it's, well I'm sure you know -- timed and translated scripts, raws, pre-release test encodes, encoding specifications, etc. Stuff most groups want to keep under wraps.

Filenames can be deceptive, it isn't necessarily what it's labelled as. Warez, mp3s, other illegal stuff could masquerade as legit if filenames are to be relied upon.

Even if accounts are locked to their home directory, security comes down to how much you trust the admins and the server software. In the past (ie. serv-U) it only took something like a simple "cd ..." to confuse the server and make it do something it shouldn't do. Even though these problems have been fixed, it makes you wonder what other simple security flaws are out there and just haven't been "found". Even a software-perfect server is only as trustworthy as the people who run it.
Well if a group is found to go as far as renaming warez file for distribution, i'll be sure to announce it. I think the fansubbing community is moral and trustworthy enough such that when given an ftp account, they will not use it maliciously to cause harm to other groups. True, there are some fansubber hate now and then, but would they to go so far as to hack another groups ftp? I sure hope not.

The ftp runs proftpd and while vsftp is available, i'm too lazy to "upgrade" it. I'm pretty sure proftpd is secure enough for what its task is.

Thanks K(a)unt and Vincent!

Last edited by dowxp; 2006-03-17 at 21:37.
Old 2006-03-17, 21:11   Link #13
dowxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access
Sure I'm just more cautious than most, being around for a long time and having seen all the stuff that's gone on over the years kinda does that to you. I've seen things, scripts stolen by other groups and then used to blackmail groups into dropping series or stalling releases, releases never made because the group leader thought the show was 'too girly' and feared a negative fan response, dirty wars that broke out b'cos one encoder "stole" another's settings, groups spying on other groups and infiltrating each other to "steal" this and that, hacking servers for access or DDOS attacks, IRC bot wars, just about everything. Please don't take it personally, generally these things have come to pass and the scene is much more friendly between groups now; but for me it's still second nature to be careful and use secure computing practices.

What did he do about the members of anime-keep / Conclave who didn't want to choose sides? Were they forced to choose one side or another, or could they maintain membership in both groups?
I'll answer the last part first. It has been a long time since the split, but I was not involved in member partisianship. That and your last question should be answered officially by the akeep\conclave leaders at the time. From what I remember, some members were allowed to coexist in both groups simultaneously.

For your first paragraph, I really hope no one DOS'es the ftp server or I will be very annoyed. So far in the last 2-3 years of FTP hosting, I have not come across fansubbers deleting another fansubbers' FTP. In the end, it is up to the core leadership of the group to give out the password to trusted individuals only. If you cannot publicly give out the password within your op room, maybe that person does not belong there.
Old 2006-03-18, 03:31   Link #14
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Hey sounds like a good deal. When our FTP runs out of bandwith be sure to save a slot for us, Doremi-fansubs.

As for "script stealing", just don't upload scripts on there, only QC raws are needed.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 10:07   Link #15
DeathWolf

to all of you worry boys, dow is a person of trust^^
i doubt he'd do anything like script stealing
Quote:
Projects were shared accordingly to where members went.
Shared projects were for some given to both, and for some put on hold from both group until they got to an agreement.
DeathWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 11:00   Link #16
I EAT BABIES
With Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
As for "script stealing", just don't upload scripts on there, only QC raws are needed.
To each their own. Every group have a different way of doing things. In my group for instance, we always keep scripts on our dump in case someone who was supposed to be timing or typesetting has computer problems and disappears for awhile. That way, we can easily reassign the work. Otherwise you've got to send the script to 2-3 different people just to keep an archival copy.
I EAT BABIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 11:16   Link #17
dowxp

If a group is scared to put scripts on the ftp because of the .001% chance that another group will hack through 4-5 years of ftp development to get to another groups scripts, that group needs to lighten up. RAWR!
Old 2006-03-18, 12:07   Link #18
I EAT BABIES
With Mayo

I did however forget to mention that for groups just starting or with limited resources, this is an extremely kind offer. Not many are willing to give up their precious bandwidth for no other reason that to help people out.
I EAT BABIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 12:31   Link #19
LytHka
Banned

Yes, I agree, especially when their only requests are following their own rules, having meaningless op access in the group's channel and, quite possibly, having their site mentioned in Special Thanks credit.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 13:51   Link #20
Dnous
wut

not every group wants to steal scripts and dont do shit themself -_-. he offers his ftp for as a dump for fansubbing groups to help them out, not for bringing them down by making other groups steal their scripts.
Dnous is offline   Reply With Quote