AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-05-02, 23:17   Link #1
4Tran

Macross Frontier - General Character Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss things related to all the Macross Frontier characters who are not fortunate enough to have a thread of their own. Go ahead and talk about the wonderfulness of Nanase, or how awesome Ozma is, or Klein Klan's antics.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Macross fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter / game talk, there are other threads for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2008-05-05, 12:08   Link #2
vspirit
...huh?

What's up with Michel's funky-looking ears? ...or is it just me?
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 12:18   Link #3
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
What's up with Michel's funky-looking ears? ...or is it just me?
He's a half Zentradi.

So that people wont repeat this question over and over again.

Zentradi has been reconned with pointy ears ever since the Macross Movie.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 11:58   Link #4
vspirit
...huh?

Gee, thanks ever so much. I'm not from the Macross old-school camp. I watched one of the older ones but can't remember which is it (the one with the main character who's into shooting footages with his camera--was that even a Macross?? Or am I mixing it up with Patlabor cos I was watching that at around the same time?) and can't really remember much of it either. And even then, I think I came in somewhere in between in terms of storyline and timeline.

Then came Macross Zero. I had no idea what the background was though I knew there was a very rich one (based on all the terms I could only half make-sense of). I was just happy (and probably too busy) staring at the beautifully animated flight sequences and those pretty, pretty jets (and not to mention the overall HQ art and animation).

It took Frontier to finally shove it into my face enough to make me sit up and learn. -.-;;

I had thought Michel being part-Zentradi might've been the case so I tried to catch glimpses of Ranka's ears but they're never revealed (at least as far as I know). I was already half wondering if the pointy-eared thing was really one. I couldn't find anything concrete to unrefutably support that suspicion of mine. Until now. So yeah, I suppose I really did mean that thanks.

Last edited by vspirit; 2008-05-06 at 12:22.
Old 2008-05-06, 12:15   Link #5
ReddyRedWolf

You're welcome. Oh Ranka is quarter Zentradi.

Now that I've seen Macross 7 again I found that Captain Klein Klan's problem with micronization may not be that unique.

Vividas was pure blooded Meltrandi that was cultured and micloned.

But even by human standards she's a giant woman when micloned.

In Klein Klan's case micronization affects her age.

If Klein Klan is a cultured Meltrandi, meaning she is a clone, her lolification may have something to do with her telomeres.

Telomeres are responsible for aging and cell regeneration. Telomeres mechanism usually limits cells to a fixed number of divisions.

Meaning Klein Klan is the runt of her batch. Poor girl.
Old 2008-05-06, 12:38   Link #6
vspirit
...huh?

LoL. Thanks for that not-so-lil bit of info. ^_^
Old 2008-05-06, 23:33   Link #7
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Speaking of characters, I just made a belated discovery that the voice for Luca, Jun Fukuyama, is also the voice actor for Lelouch Lamperouge in Code Geass...

Mr. Fukuyama is, urm, freakishly good, like Naomi Shindo.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 06:45   Link #8
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Gee, thanks ever so much. I'm not from the Macross old-school camp. I watched one of the older ones but can't remember which is it (the one with the main character who's into shooting footages with his camera--was that even a Macross?? Or am I mixing it up with Patlabor cos I was watching that at around the same time?) and can't really remember much of it either. And even then, I think I came in somewhere in between in terms of storyline and timeline.

Then came Macross Zero. I had no idea what the background was though I knew there was a very rich one (based on all the terms I could only half make-sense of). I was just happy (and probably too busy) staring at the beautifully animated flight sequences and those pretty, pretty jets (and not to mention the overall HQ art and animation).

It took Frontier to finally shove it into my face enough to make me sit up and learn. -.-;;

I had thought Michel being part-Zentradi might've been the case so I tried to catch glimpses of Ranka's ears but they're never revealed (at least as far as I know). I was already half wondering if the pointy-eared thing was really one. I couldn't find anything concrete to unrefutably support that suspicion of mine. Until now. So yeah, I suppose I really did mean that thanks.

you should give Macross Plus and Macross TV series a spin. you can watch it on youtube.

Old 2008-05-07, 06:48   Link #9
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Speaking of characters, I just made a belated discovery that the voice for Luca, Jun Fukuyama, is also the voice actor for Lelouch Lamperouge in Code Geass...

Mr. Fukuyama is, urm, freakishly good, like Naomi Shindo.

- Tak
Haha! I was actually wondering when someone would mention this tho I'd imagined it'd be in the VA appreciation thread. Oh well, no matter.

TBQH, Luca is more his norm. He even talks more or less like that in real life. Lelouch was a bit of a deviation for him. He said as much in interviews. He was pretty boggled when the director asked him to go as low as he could (OK, 'boggled' was an understatement. He went into full-panicked mode since it was out of the realm of what he normally does before getting told to just do it, being a pro and all).

I've heard him in quite a bit of things pre-CG, and even without pre-knowledge, I've never had a problem with telling when a character is voiced by him. I couldn't tell it was him when I first started watching CG. I suppose at the end of the day, it's all good since it's opened up new pathways for him, career-wise.

He has quite a wide range of tenor voices but as far as low voices go, Lelouch!voice is his one and only. So far, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
you should give Macross Plus and Macross TV series a spin. you can watch it on youtube.
Or Veoh. I guess I'll do that. ^_^ Thanks.

Last edited by vspirit; 2008-05-07 at 07:00.
Old 2008-05-07, 07:13   Link #10
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Haha! I was actually wondering when someone would mention this tho I'd imagined it'd be in the VA appreciation thread. Oh well, no matter.

TBQH, Luca is more his norm. He even talks more or less like that in real life.
Really? Thats what he sounds like in real life, eh?

I guess I found out while I was playing Valkyria of the Battlefield, and heard his voice. I thought I heard Lulu, so I went and checked him up, and HOLY CRAP, he was credited with the role of Luca. I was just as surprised when I found out Naomi Shindo was credited with a certain 'infamous' character with a very feminine Kyoto accent, who, as we know, usually play a more tomboyish role.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 08:09   Link #11
vspirit
...huh?

I've brought it over to the VA thread since it seems like this is turning out to be a full lown VA discussion. It's also in dire need of love, anyway. Look for my reply there, yeah?
Old 2008-05-09, 13:09   Link #12
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Concerning Ozma and Cathy

Spoiler for connecting the dots:
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 13:12   Link #13
Wesley84

How long has Ozma been in the SMS? He used to be UN Spacy right?
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 13:20   Link #14
ReddyRedWolf

Well we know that he was around the destruction of the 117th Research fleet 11 years ago.

Ranka was orphaned and he took her in.

Along the line Ranka begged him to stop piloting. Even if she has amnesia instinctlively she knew he'll get killed out there if kept piloting Valkyries.
Old 2008-05-09, 13:44   Link #15
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
How long has Ozma been in the SMS? He used to be UN Spacy right?
I don't think we have that information yet. It would interesting if he was part of SMS during the expedition tragedy.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 19:01   Link #16
4Tran

While there's nothing clear cut, the way Ranka talked about how Ozma was safe now that he had a desk job implied that he had a pilot job in her memory. Since she thought that he was safe because he was now with SMS, that'd mean that his being a pilot within her recollection was while he was in the NUNS.
Old 2008-05-13, 02:48   Link #17
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Concerning Ozma and Cathy

Spoiler for connecting the dots:
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Cathy entered Miss Macross because of the break up with Ozma, you know as an attempt to restore her confidence which would've taken a hit in the break up. Since it really doesn't seem like the sort of thing she would do usually.. but it was 4 years ago... anyway I'm looking forward to whatever episode they explain their history together...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 09:48   Link #18
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I have a far out speculation that Leon met Cathy at the pageant when she was competing. Hence, why, Cathy threw the dirty look at Leon when he was asking about Ranka.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 20:36   Link #19
aldw

I do think there's a good chance of seeing Ozma and Cathy getting back together before the end of the series, just a hunch.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 22:57   Link #20
Westlo
Lets be reality

The possibility of him getting back together with Cathy imo gives him a much higher chance of survival in Frontier. If it wasn't for the Cathy/Ozma/Leon secondary triangle I would have expected Ozma to bite it around 12-16 and would've had Alto inheriting Strike 1similar to Hikaru/Roy.

Of course they could hook them back up and he could still die which is a good chance of happening if one of the main 3 don't also bite it. I've always felt Ranka was a chance of dying due to how she's connected to the Varja and all but a translated line from a promo increases the chances if it isn't said soon.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote