AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-06-13, 20:34   Link #1
Metropolisforever

Torrents Disappearing?

There are certain torrents that used to be on AnimeSuki, but seemed to have disappeared. I'm NOT talking about the anime that became licensed. I'm talking about anime that is still listed, but doesn't show up.

For example: Glass Mask (1984) is still listed on AnimeSuki, but, when you click on it, it says "No torrent links found." What's up with that? I searched the web for subtitled Glass Mask torrents, but all I could find was a terrible-quality download with tiny, burned-in subs. Bagi, the Monster of Mighty Nature used to be on AnimeSuki, but, once you click on it nowadays, it says "No torrent links found.", so you have to search the Internet for it if you want to download it. I've noticed this happening with SEVERAL anime. Why? Are the links AnimeSuki uses becoming inactive, and nobody is replacing them?
Old 2010-06-13, 21:46   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Given that these are really old anime, that's not entirely surprising. And vanishing animes are nothing new. I've watched a bunch of other series go away as well when other groups disbanded or vanished, and their links stopped working, and nobody stepped up to replace them. Of course, on anime that old, what are the chances you'll actually find any raws to process? Once an anime is about 3-5 years old, unless it's hugely popular, the raws will tend to vanish from existence, generally preventing the creation of new subs.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 01:20   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Given that these are really old anime, that's not entirely surprising.
Seems like over engineering it. So what if the links are old and broken? Everything that's broken can be fixed, as long as you don't destroy it.

Can we have confirmation that this is intentional? and not caused by other circumstances.
Old 2010-06-14, 01:55   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolisforever View Post
Are the links AnimeSuki uses becoming inactive, and nobody is replacing them?
More than likely that is the case. AnimeSuki is merely an index site that links the torrents from other sites, so if those sites aren't updating those links, then I would presume this kind of thing would happen.

To be honest, I'm just guessing here. Anyone who works on the torrent site for AnimeSuki (Site staff, or GHDpro himself) might be able to shed some light.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 02:48   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Yes, this is done intentionally to keep the database clean. A few dead links here and there are nothing to worry about, but if all dead links stayed on the site they'd make up nearly 50% of all links displayed on the site:

#type
13739Normal/Active
20838Licensed
1122Removed by request
254Hidden for other reasons
40Disabled by staff (fake/v2 out etc)
11840Dead
36"Torrent recently died" (still on site, but greyed out)

Though maybe for the v3 site it might be nice to add a "Show dead links" option, especially as it already shows magnet links (though torrents typically have to be reasonably popular for magnet links to work well).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 02:57   Link #6
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I just checked both series and the links we have are dead. Until we can find or are provided with new links there's not much we can do about it. It's inevitable that links will go dead, especially for older and/or lesser known titles. We have no control over the status of sites outside of our own, but we do our best to keep things as up to date as possible.
Old 2010-06-14, 03:13   Link #7
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Implementing displaying dead torrents in the v3 beta site was easier than I thought, so it works already.

In the search, dead links are now displayed (greyed out, but still clickable if you want, plus magnet links provided):
http://beta.animesuki.com/search?q=glass+mask

On the series page for Glass Mask (1984) the "No torrents found" message now has a "show dead links" link:
http://beta.animesuki.com/series/Glass_Mask_%281984%29
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 15:21   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Given how magnet links universally identify the target via its hash (ie. content) rather then location, the term "broken link" is not even all that valid anymore.