AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-07-31, 21:08   Link #1
nonexistinghero

Anti Virus expired

My Paid AVG 9 that came with my pc is now expired, and AVG shows my antivirus is turned off and i cant turn it back on if i dont pay for a new license.
I dont want to pay anymore so what free anti virus should i get now? Free AVG or Avira or Avast. Im thinking to go with Avira.
No matter what i choose, i must uninstall everything AVG 9 related before installing new FREE antivirus right?

Actually i think i could turn it back on if i reactivate it and not renew the license, but i assume a FREE antivirus that gets updated is better than an expired paid one that will never get updated?
nonexistinghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 09:13   Link #2
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Doesn't matter much which you pick, I wouldn't pick AVG though
The reason for that is if you have auto detect turned on for USB sticks and all that and this section has been infected (virus infected USB) then AVG does not detect it and I had a lot of trouble with it once cause it had instantly infected my 'puter and AVG noticed nothing only my firewall did.. turned to Avast right after

Remove everything of the licensed anti virus, if you were to go free AVG then you would have to remove it because the licensed is a different program all together with extra functions.

I've never had a paid anti virus, always thought it was a stupid thing to pay for when there are so many good free ones available
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 10:06   Link #3
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

Either get Avira or Avast! Personally I prefer kaspersky internet security, it's the best one available but it costs 60€/$ :X
Old 2010-08-01, 12:05   Link #4
nonexistinghero

thnaks for the help, i went with avira
Old 2010-08-01, 23:04   Link #5
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Get the free version of Avast!. Then use your router firewall and proxy surfing when finding information.

There. All your security problems solved with the least amount of expenditure. Sometimes I wonder why people pay for antivirus and firewall when they can get free alternatives.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 12:13   Link #6
Xion Valkyrie

Only problem with Avira is that the trick to block the pop ups in the free version doesn't seem to work anymore. I thought I had it disabled, but it seems like every time it updates it re-enables it. Oh well.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 20:38   Link #7
nonexistinghero

i chose free avira, but i dont have any popups besides those mandatory megaupload popups when i click DOWNLOAD file, at least i think those cannot be blocked..
Old 2010-08-02, 21:40   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Both avira and avast do pretty good jobs... neither are perfect (nor is any $$$$$ AV software) so its a matter of which user interface you find more enjoyable to work with.

I use Avast along with a number of Firefox extensions and Spybot (all free) on work machines. My network is behind a decently configured router.
Old 2010-08-02, 23:50   Link #9
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I use Avast and it has averted disaster for me several times.
Old 2010-08-03, 01:01   Link #10
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I think that with OP getting his answer all further AV discussion could be better off continuing here
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...t=95723&page=2

otherwise we will have multiple topic running about practically the same subject
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote