AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-02, 03:50   Link #1101
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yes, Nanoha is a pure homage to Gundam and the original main character Amuro Ray.

The White Devil was a title Amuro gained from the enemy for being terribly strong in a white Mobile Suit, the Gundam. The way Nanoha fires mega beams is something like Gundam as well.

But the most obvious reference was the pyramid trap + 5x Starlight Breaker from 5 separate 'Rising Bits', its exactly what Amuro's final Gundam, the Nu Gundam does.

In fact, starting from Nanoha A's, every single character they designed is a reference to some mecha character and Super Robot Wars. The show's creators are Super Robot Wars fans.

Fate and her Zanba, the things she yelled executing a Zanba Breaker and stuff, are straight from Zengar Zombolt of SRW.

Vita was a straight homage to Gaogaigar, Gigant Form? Even bigger?

And remember her fighting those cubes in her final fight? Why do she have to fight a bunch of cubes? Its because Gaogaigar did it in his final fight.

Subaru is also a Gaogaigar reference.

If you like all the amazing beams and explosions, know that they are from the mecha genre.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-03-02, 05:07   Link #1102
Tormenk

Pure homage? Didn't the White Devil thing started in A's after Nanoha's rooftop fight with Vita? There was none of that in the first season at all.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2009-03-02, 05:11   Link #1103
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Pure homage? Didn't the White Devil thing started in A's after Nanoha's rooftop fight with Vita? There was none of that in the first season at all.
I think that has started when people has started to compare Nanoha to Gundam, so in the middle of the first season

Just to make sure, but the title of White Devil has never appeared in the series only in fanart/fanfiction no
Old 2009-03-02, 05:14   Link #1104
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Yea, that's why I put starting from Nanoha A's.

Of course Nanoha and her family was their ownselves from Triangle Heart, but in Nanoha A's everything changed to pure mecha homage.

Old 2009-03-02, 05:26   Link #1105
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
I think that has started when people has started to compare Nanoha to Gundam, so in the middle of the first season

Just to make sure, but the title of White Devil has never appeared in the series only in fanart/fanfiction no
That's pretty early to join the dots.

And yes the title is purely attached by the fandom, though StrikerS came close to validating that title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Yea, that's why I put starting from Nanoha A's.

Of course Nanoha and her family was their ownselves from Triangle Heart, but in Nanoha A's everything changed to pure mecha homage.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Though your opening line is quite misleading. As in "Nanoha was created as a homage to Amuro" that kind of meaning. Those who don't know better would definitely take that at first value so yeah lol.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2009-03-02, 05:39   Link #1106
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yea actually I should rearrange, but I'm lazy

Though the beam spam used back in Nanoha S1 is obviously mecha styled.

Old 2009-03-02, 05:41   Link #1107
Miles Teg

Quote:
That's pretty early to join the dots.
But I have (finally) watched the first Gundam series because of that and that was before the start of A's.

The first time I have seen the title of White Devil attached to Nanoha was when she was fighting Fate for the second time with the "I will kick your ass and after that you will listen to me" (but that was perhaps only in the Gundam fandom).
Old 2009-03-02, 05:42   Link #1108
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Beamspam doesn't always equal mecha, there have been many magic series (note, magic, a tad different from magical girl) and supernatural that throw in beamspam is well.
Old 2009-03-02, 05:48   Link #1109
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Beamspam doesn't always equal mecha, there have been many magic series (note, magic, a tad different from magical girl) and supernatural that throw in beamspam is well.
But when in include,

"Shooting Mode. Set up."
"Stand by. Ready."
"Sealing."

And stuff like that, the interaction between the mages and their Intelligent Devices before beam spamming are mecha styled.

Old 2009-03-02, 05:56   Link #1110
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well yes, but visually the greater part of the beams were more magically styled then mecha, being more round and twisty rather then straight beams.
Old 2009-03-02, 06:05   Link #1111
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Well yes, but visually the greater part of the beams were more magically styled then mecha, being more round and twisty rather then straight beams.
Heh heh, you didn't know but the very original twisted beam is from Gainax's super revolutionary mecha anime of 1989, Top wo Nerae!

That anime introduced so many revolutionary effects 2 of them most influential are:

Homing Lasers, yes the first recorded bending and homing beam is from Top wo Nerae!, not some magical girl show.

Gainax Bounce, and yes, Top wo Nerae! is the first anime in history to introduce bouncing boobs as fan service and till today crowned Gainax with the term Gainax Bounce. The main character, Noriko was the owner of the first bounce in the history of anime, she is the Miss Gainax Bounce herself.

Also Noriko was not a traditional character. She was probably the first female mecha main protagonist of a mecha anime and she was hotblooded to the core, unlike most characters before her.

The mecha genre made many impacts in the anime industry, without mecha, anime probably wouldn't exist in a thriving state like now, check the Shin Mazinger thread in the unaired subforum for more.

Old 2009-03-02, 06:10   Link #1112
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Ahh, you misunderstand, when I say 'magic' I am referring to the entire genre of anime with magic, or use magic-like power (like Dragon Ball) not just magical girl anime.
Old 2009-03-02, 06:13   Link #1113
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, this is a magical girl show so it has to have magical beams lol

But the way the magic is executed is treated with mecha references and homages.

Old 2009-03-02, 09:56   Link #1114
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I don't think Nanoha is a direct homage to Amuro Ray. The name "White Devil" is a fan given nickname and she's never actually called that during the anime or manga.

But yes the series is full of SRW references. The most obvious is actually Signum considering she's voiced by Lamia Loveless and their backgrounds are rather similar. A friend of mine also claims in A's Signum tried to sound different from Lamia but in StrikerS he says she sounds exactly the same.
Old 2009-03-02, 10:36   Link #1115
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
But yes the series is full of SRW references. The most obvious is actually Signum considering she's voiced by Lamia Loveless and their backgrounds are rather similar. A friend of mine also claims in A's Signum tried to sound different from Lamia but in StrikerS he says she sounds exactly the same.
Then again, not every voice actor or voice actress have a ZOMGHUGE voice range, so this kind of happens at times. That, or it was intentional.

Also, not every single freaking magic attack in whatever we see have to be executed the traditional way (like saying a random incantation etc.). If people want to to make it as if the magic is launched in a somewhat computerized way, let it happen.

On another note, I wouldn't use the word "revolutionary" to describe a lot of mecha animes out there.

Quote:
And stuff like that, the interaction between the mages and their Intelligent Devices before beam spamming are mecha styled.
Then what do you say about Knight Rider then? That means that show is mecha-styled too right?
Old 2009-03-02, 10:39   Link #1116
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
I don't think Nanoha is a direct homage to Amuro Ray. The name "White Devil" is a fan given nickname and she's never actually called that during the anime or manga.

But they gave in to fans and made Blaster 3 = Nu Gundam + Fin Funnels lol

And yea Signum is a subtle Lamia Loveless reference, Vysaga as a swordswoman then combining sword and scabbard to do a bow, referencing Angelg.

Old 2009-03-02, 11:56   Link #1117
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Vita just refer as her with the phrase

"You devil"

Quote:
Yeah, Dragon Ball, Shaman King even the Power Rangers

But Nanoha's beams are very similar to the atacks of the main Gundam (Starlight Breaker as C.A. pointed).

Alo, if I'm not wrong, the Gundam's beams are also Pink, right?
Old 2009-03-02, 18:39   Link #1118
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
No, their colours change according to the demands of the animation back then. It used to be blood red IIRC.

Even then again, the ZOMGHUGE blood red beams are actually rarely used in practice, at least the reason is that the weapons for those attacks are very cumbersome.
Old 2009-03-04, 22:22   Link #1119
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Ming you, your basic beam rifle shot is still pretty powerful; Zeon were all freaking out over the Gundam's beam rifle because the Feddies had managed to shrink a warship-grade beam weapon to MS scale. Of course, it didn't have the same range as a BB's guns, but it's not like you could hit anything with those...

Unlike SEED, where AB coating = zomg no beam damage, in Gundam AB coatings just help to reduce somewhat the damage... as I recall as time went by everyone started going for less armor simply because as time went on, basic MS weapons became one shot one kill weapons. Though IIRC the Hyaku Shiki was gold because of the special beam deflection coating... which they copied for the Akatsuki in SEED.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2009-03-04 at 22:33.
Old 2009-03-05, 21:20   Link #1120
Gespenst
Real Robot

Quote:
Yes, Nanoha is a pure homage to Gundam and the original main character Amuro Ray.
They way I heard it the fans started to comment on the... Gundamness of Nanoha and the creators, being fans of mecha in general and SRW in particular, decided to go to town.

Also, how did you forget Signum? Since she is Lamia Loveless.

It seems to have come full circle with SRW Z (so they say, it could just be a coincidence)

Quote:
Fate and her Zanba, the things she yelled executing a Zanba Breaker and stuff, are straight from Zengar Zombolt of SRW.
There is a striking similarity between Zengar's Zankantou and Bardiche's Zamber form. So much so that the Lyrical wars video had a parody of the "Tornado Blade" with Fate riding Arf.
Closed Thread