AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-11, 23:46   Link #1061
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
I actually believe she did feed on them, Priscilla seemed to be constantly hungry from what we saw of her before she met Isley, Isley even seemed shocked by the amount of people that she was eating.

It isn't farfetched to think that an AB could eat that many people, as one of the clear signs of an Awakended Being's prescence is the large number of people they eat, and it wouldn't be suprising the more powerful the AB, the more they would need to eat when they first awaken.

That aside, the translation of the original japanese seems to imply she spared every little girl.
Riful says - both in the scanlated and japanese versions this time - that Pricilla ate everyone living person in those cities - except for the little girl(s). So yes, she seems to have been quite hungry.
Old 2008-03-11, 23:48   Link #1062
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
when did we learn that one? i don't remember reading that at any point in the manga
Clare - v01 p144-ish
Old 2008-03-11, 23:54   Link #1063
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
As I understood it the organization called Awakened Beings Voracious Eaters for a public relations. They let on that voracious eaters were just old youma that had gotten really powerful so no one would piece together that they were actually once Claymores. I do not think voracious eaters really exist except as a cover story.
Aye. Indeed the case.
The funniest part is that when Luciella ate Isley's arrows, she even referred to herself as a voracious eater although it wasn't scanlated that way. She said something like "despite what I said ealier, I am rather a voracious eater" (shokuyokusha = literally somone who eats alot). Oh well - I got a smile out of it at least when I read the raw.
Old 2008-03-12, 00:29   Link #1064
Simley

you know there is a such thing as the edit button...you don't need to post 4 consecutive times

LOL at thought of the ORG having a PR department...spin doctors and scientists, my my
Old 2008-03-12, 01:20   Link #1065
Sunater
Słnater Annčs

Send a message via MSN to Sunater
Btw, could it be possible that the ORG. are awakened beings? Or some other sort of creatures that are similar to awakened being.. They don't look like humans and they seem to be immortals and don't age at all..
Some of them have features similar to awakened beings...

They could be male claymore failures that cept their conscious and kinda developed high Iq or what do you guys think?
Old 2008-03-12, 01:40   Link #1066
derelict88
Huh! Made ya read!! :D

Quote:
As I understood it the organization called Awakened Beings Voracious Eaters for a public relations. They let on that voracious eaters were just old youma that had gotten really powerful so no one would piece together that they were actually once Claymores. I do not think voracious eaters really exist except as a cover story.

Good point. I went back and reread chapter 27 (or scene 27) page 20 as explained by Miria. Thanks for the info mate.
Old 2008-03-12, 09:55   Link #1067
hell88
Banned

Location: Canada, but sometimes in La La-Land hanging out with Midori-chan89
Random thought, but has anyone else ever wondered why yoma just happen to know how to speak. I can see why the ones that have taken form of a human know how too, but the ones that haven't, still seam to know how to speak anyway.
Old 2008-03-12, 10:27   Link #1068
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Well, the obvious answers would be either:

a) They have the capacity for language to begin with and all use human language for whatever reason (humans developed complex language first and they borrowed it, most of them end up using human language due to taking human form so they became used to it and it replaced any native language they might have had, they just like knowing it so they can taunt humans and Claymores)

b) Those we've seen have all eaten at least one human brain before and retain the knowledge after returning to their old form.

I'm assuming a Claymore generation is quite brief (3-10 years?), but that still makes the Organization several centuries old... frankly I'm surprised they're as ill-trusted as they are when they've been an institution for so long. Though I suppose if there's usually only one Claymore to an area with several cities and many smaller villages it'd be easy to live your whole life without seeing any evidence of them.
Old 2008-03-12, 12:00   Link #1069
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
There might be something to that.

Teresa does reminisce of the organization cutting her open when she was young (Chapter 13). Maybe cutting out her guts and implanting them with yoma guts? That's where they get their yoki from? From their guts that used to be yoma? Might that not be how Claymores are formed?

Isn't ki supposed to come from a person's guts?

Interesting speculation you have there chiba.
This could also explain why a Claymore's torso is deformed while the head, arms and legs look like that of any other human woman.
Old 2008-03-12, 12:03   Link #1070
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
I actually believe she did feed on them, Priscilla seemed to be constantly hungry from what we saw of her before she met Isley, Isley even seemed shocked by the amount of people that she was eating.

It isn't farfetched to think that an AB could eat that many people, as one of the clear signs of an Awakended Being's prescence is the large number of people they eat, and it wouldn't be suprising the more powerful the AB, the more they would need to eat when they first awaken.

That aside, the translation of the original japanese seems to imply she spared every little girl.
I guess it is possible that she could eat every single person in town after town.

If it is true that Priscilla spares every little girl, then there must be masses of little girls out there with no family and no towns.

Maybe she does work at the human resources department.

The organization might be able to create a whole generation or two out of Priscilla-made orphans.
Old 2008-03-12, 12:05   Link #1071
hell88
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
This could also explain why a Claymore's torso is deformed while the head, arms and legs look like that of any other human woman.
I want to know what a claymore's torso looks like really bad, with the scars and everything apparently it looks really bad, mabye there are pieces of yoma flesh that can be seen.
Old 2008-03-12, 12:08   Link #1072
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

@tenken627: I think that the first few chapters probably gave us the most information about how youma and claymores work. We know a surgery is performed and as a result they become half human half youma.

AB's also have a very distinctive look, as if their body is formed of tubes or tentacles with plating over the top, Rigard being an exception. Whenever we see an AB transform, there is that weird metamorphosis state with the mass of flesh rolling around and linking to give them their awakened form. If a claymore's torso has the same attributes it would be consistent with the imagery of the story.

As for why youma can speak, I think Kikaifan nailed it with the fact youma can steal memories to imitate someone. In the first chapter Zaki, Raki's brother, is a youma but no one can tell because it has stolen all of his memories and behaviors. His memories may be dormant most of the time, but still present enough even in full youma form to make the youma cry.
Old 2008-03-12, 12:13   Link #1073
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Yeah, in general 10sigh's translations are BY FAR the most accurate - reason I prefer them too (despite others often do a more thurough job cleaning and typesetting). The problem was that I was under the impression that my version of vol 8 (one with "one little girl") was the one scanlated by him though. Is there a corrected page seperate, or did I accidently grab someone else's scanlation?
I believe he corrected it himself, it should be somewhere in his thread over Claymore.

Not too sure where, I might look it up later. I remember he had a "fixed" version of his initial volume releases, with clearer translations.

I do wish he would clean is scans better as well, but he does correct translation errors often.
Old 2008-03-12, 12:26   Link #1074
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
@tenken627: I think that the first few chapters probably gave us the most information about how youma and claymores work. We know a surgery is performed and as a result they become half human half youma.

AB's also have a very distinctive look, as if their body is formed of tubes or tentacles with plating over the top, Rigard being an exception. Whenever we see an AB transform, there is that weird metamorphosis state with the mass of flesh rolling around and linking to give them their awakened form. If a claymore's torso has the same attributes it would be consistent with the imagery of the story.
Yes, that would be consistent.

The only Claymore that is different seems to be Clare, who is only 1/4 yoma instead of 1/2.

She has Teresa's flesh inside of her instead of that of a yoma's.

I wouldn't be surprised if the organization tried another experiment like this on another girl.

The organization should have seen enough to surmise that Clare was no ordinary #47 (they might have known in the first place), and even though with lower yoki output (at first), she withstood a few AB encounters before going to Pieta.

They even sent their best yoki-sensing Claymore, Galatea, to observe her. They didn't send Galatea to watch Miria for example, another trouble-maker Claymore who also is half-awakened and a #6. They sent the God-Eye to watch Clare and only Clare.

Maybe another girl in Clarice's generation is also 1/4 yoma? Maybe Clarice herself? Might that explain why Clarice's hair color is still brunette? If she was made from a Claymore instead of a yoma (and probably a weaker Claymore than Teresa, who was one of the strongest), then her yoki level would seem very small indeed. At least for now.

Last edited by tenken627; 2008-03-12 at 12:39.
Old 2008-03-12, 14:48   Link #1075
hell88
Banned

I think Miata is 3/4 yoma. I also think Clarise is 1/8 yoma which is really small. I bet the organization is going to throw away Clarise when they have somebody to fill her spot. They probably only put Clarise in #47 beacuse they were desperate at the time with all the lack of warriors. Then when Clarise is gone Miata will run off with her and the a hunting team will be sent out and all that usual stuff. Only for Clarise and Miata to be saved by the ghosts again.
Old 2008-03-12, 15:13   Link #1076
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Clare is the only 1/4 Claymore we know of and her hair still lost its color. Clare looks like a claymore, even if her youki signature is a little skewed. Clarice definitely could be another experiment, but if she is the same as Clare it is no excuse to have her hair color remaining. She might really just be a failure, or a very different kind of experiment [made from Luciella's flesh and blood ]. I actually want to know a bit about Clarice's history because she has had so much panel time. Why has she been introduced as a main character?
Old 2008-03-12, 15:19   Link #1077
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

The Male ABs in the north mentioned that the Org has made warriors like Clarice before, so I doubt she is anything new, just a failure that pops up once in a while, or maybe they pop up often, just normally don't survive training.
Old 2008-03-12, 15:43   Link #1078
hell88
Banned

I'm throwing this one out there, but do any of you guys think if male awkened flesh is infused into a female warrior that would probably mess up with there genetics and everything. Mabye why Clarice is a failed experiment, or mabye why Rachel looks like a man.
Old 2008-03-12, 16:11   Link #1079
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Now your just throwing completely random stuff at us hell88

Fact: Masculine women exist, like it or not.

and Clarice was already recognized as a known phenomena among Claymores, Galatea seemed to know what it implied, as did Agatha, as did the 3 awakened beings in the north.
Old 2008-03-12, 17:09   Link #1080
hell88
Banned

Quote:
Now your just throwing completely random stuff at us hell88

Fact: Masculine women exist, like it or not.

and Clarice was already recognized as a known phenomena among Claymores, Galatea seemed to know what it implied, as did Agatha, as did the 3 awakened beings in the north.
Well I wouldn't say it was completly random. Thanks for the fact.

I was just thinking on how male awakened flesh could mess up a female warrior.
Closed Thread