Thanks
Old 2004-02-18, 00:46   Link #82
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Damn I have done it again.
Old 2004-02-18, 02:42   Link #83
Utils
Inactive Member

If they treat this the same way they did with Samurai Pizza cats then I really wouldn't mind.
Old 2004-02-18, 04:19   Link #84
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe
Damn I have done it again.

then just stop
Old 2004-02-18, 04:24   Link #85
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utils
If they treat this the same way they did with Samurai Pizza cats then I really wouldn't mind.

You mean totaly ruining a good show? With a bad dub? Horrid re-done music? Yeah that would be good.
Old 2004-02-18, 04:39   Link #86
Tabiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
You mean totaly ruining a good show? With a bad dub? Horrid re-done music? Yeah that would be good.
How was the original show good?
Old 2004-02-18, 10:30   Link #87
Utils
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
How was the original show good?
Yeah, I can't imagine the original being as fantastic as the dub. In fact, I'm sure the dub is superior.
Old 2004-02-19, 09:58   Link #88
Tabiree

heh yeah. I mean let's face it, Mew Mew isn't the most serious of shows from what I've seen. And anyway, someones gotta get the short straw when it comes to these things.

Learn to import
Old 2004-02-22, 04:35   Link #89
Tenchi from ANN

Actually, I don't care what it is, I would also love it if someone had enough balls to do another Samurai Pizza Cats-esque intentionally goofy dub of an anime series, where, even if you're unfamiliar with the original version, you can easily tell that the dialogue is a total bowlderization of the original, yet that's 90% of the fun. Samurai Pizza Cats is, quite honestly, the What's Up, Tiger Lily? of anime dubs.

Anyhow, Tabiree, you da man! Hat trick! 3 weeks in a row! And it's the entire bottom half of that "Weekend Web" page!

EDIT: Oh, also on the top of the next "Weekend Web" page, with the infamous speculation post about how 4Kids CEO Al Kahn is a member of the KKK for eliminating some Japanese cultural references from anime shows (even though it's not terribly likely that someone with a rather Jewish surname like "Kahn" would be a member of the anti-Jewish KKK).

Last edited by Tenchi from ANN; 2004-02-22 at 04:51.
Old 2004-02-22, 06:15   Link #90
Tabiree

I didn't think they'd get in due to the massive ammounts of stupidly hilarious IMDB posts, but hey
Old 2004-02-22, 16:19   Link #91
Tenchi from ANN

Oh yeah, the IMDb.com boards...

For various reasons (this time having nothing to do with DBZOA.net), yesterday, I came across this extremely bogus interview with Roland Emmerich claiming he had more or less finished filming the live-action Dragonball Z movie, keeping in mind that, in the real world, Roland Emmerich spent most of last year filming the mega budget disaster flick The Day After Tomorrow here in Montreal (mainly) and that big name directors and studios do not actually start shooting big budget movies without telling any reputable entertainment industry sources. I wasn't even sure that Emmerich was still attached to the project, if the rumours about him being attached to the project had any validity in the first place, since I know Emmerich currently has a "full plate" of projects, since he's going to shoot both the big budget historical epic King Tut and the low budget indie The Girls Next Door over the next year or so, so I decided to go to the live-action Dragonball Z page at IMDb.com to see if the IMDb.com was still listing Emmerich as the director (not anymore), and, because I'm such a fan of schadenfreude, I decided to check out the IMDb.com board for the live-action DBZ film.

Ten pages! And those are just the recent posts! And most of the threads are the same bogus cast lists or links to fake artwork over and over, or people asking when the movie will be out! All this for a film in "pre-production limbo" where all there is to know, for the time being, is that Fox optioned the rights at the beginning of 2002 and has said nothing solid since (studios option the live-action rights for more properties (mainly novels) than they actually ever produce into films).
Old 2004-02-22, 19:14   Link #92
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Oooooohhhhh you done it tailbree this time you really pushed it I think you are trying to piss me off for making a stand against a horrible dubbing company like 4kids I swear to you, you will pay.

Also on a side note tokyo mew mew subs from honobono are still here thank you a thousand hugs from DBZOA.
Old 2004-02-22, 23:19   Link #93
Tabiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe
Oooooohhhhh you done it tailbree this time you really pushed it I think you are trying to piss me off for making a stand against a horrible dubbing company like 4kids I swear to you, you will pay.

Also on a side note tokyo mew mew subs from honobono are still here thank you a thousand hugs from DBZOA.

Perhaps if your posts weren't entirely composed of misspelt words and lack of sentences structure, and if you perhaps took some time to think over your posts before shouting whatever comes to mind, I wouldn't make fun of you.
Old 2004-03-12, 16:11   Link #94
Bolt Crank

HEre's a thoguht, people... Rather than writing 4Kids, we should pressure Honobono to focus on the Mew MEw fansubs so they can get it out before "Hollywood MEw Mew" premieres on TV.

Why? Well, that's a little complex, but I'll try to keep it simple for those who aren't very legally-minded(my family is a very legal family - my uncle is the Executive ADA, my mom is a civil attorney, my grandfather is a retired civil attorney, and my dad minored is business law, so I speak with SOME authority having grown up in this family. I still double-checked my info, to be on the safe side, thoguh).

Lets use the example of pirating American motion pictures - every lawsuit over it has involved a movie that, at the time was the lawsuit's filing, was:

A: Being shown in theaters.
B: Released on home video.

No one has ever been prosecuted for sitrubtion in the time between point A and point B. Because a defendant charged during that time could win on a technicality.

That technicality being: If you're not actively utilizing the copyright, you're out of luck.

A movie copyright is not being "actively utilized" unless moeny is being made on either ticket sales are DVD sales. Merchandizing could negate the active utilization problem, but no movie company has ever taken that chance.

4Kids is not yet making money on the series - they are not actively utilizing the copyright.

If Honobono got the entire series subtitled and released, and all the fans got it BEFORE 4Kids puts Hollywood Mew Mew on TV then all will be okay. No legal issues will come up in the enjoying of our fansubs.

If anyone got prosecuted for distributing or downloading, and the actions were taken PRIOR TO THE ACTUAL RELEASE, this technicality saves the defendant.

If you want to write 4Kids and ask for a subtitled, uncut release, then do so. Given 4Kids' history, thoguh, Honobono should probably make a mad dash to get the series subtitled. OTherwise they'll have to stop if they don't want to risk being sued...
Old 2004-03-12, 16:46   Link #95
method

I think that you are a little off in assuming that a license only works when a title is making money. If that was the case, people could distribute titles before it is released at the cineplex. Just taking a look at the ANN listing for TMM it was released 2 years ago. At 52 episodes, TMM ended almost a year ago and fansub groups have had enough time to fansub the entire series.
Old 2004-03-12, 18:09   Link #96
Bolt Crank

The only reason movie pirates DON'T distribute movies prior to their release at the cineplex is that the piraters DON'T HAVE THEM before the release. Remember - pirated copies of movies are made by sneaking video cameras INTO the theater.

I have seen attempts to prosecute over copyrights fail due to the holder not actively utilizing the copyright.

BTW, "active utilization" is not defined as making money. Most webcomics are non-profit, but their copyrights are considered active. However I imagine that a copyright is considered active as long as its making money. If the movie companies distributed movies for free that'd be active utilization of a copyright - but the movie companies are more itnerested in making money.

Edit: It MOST LIKELY wouldn't hold up in court, but if a fansub group made Tokyo Mew MEw fansubs after the release of Hollywood Mew Mew, and got sued by 4Kids, they COULD argue the active copyright issue - 4Kids is distrbuting HOLLYWOOD Mew Mew, not TOKYO Mew Mew. But I only give the defendant a 20% chance of winning at best in that situation.
Old 2004-03-12, 18:47   Link #97
Tabiree

Chances of them getting sued anyways is fairly slim, and it'd only become a real problem if 4kids decided to solicit an Uncut, subtitled version anyhow.

And if that happens, we have no need for fansubs of TMM, and boom
Old 2004-03-12, 19:13   Link #98
Bolt Crank

Very true. But no anime company has ever had a problem with fansub distribution either before or after releases.

Well, Bandai has said they don't want Gundam SEED distributed, but they haven't taken legal action. Probably for the reasons I cited earlier. I do expect them to bring up the issue again when they release SEED.
Old 2004-03-12, 19:17   Link #99
Tabiree

Actually, Bandai wanted SEED and all their titles to not be distributed, so as opposed to going straight to the courts, they kindly asked groups to stop subbing and distributing titles, as they were already aqquired. Kinda nice.

UV has had spats with AnimeJunkies over Ninja Scroll TV, which was a very heated Drama.

Pioneer had a go at WhiteCross back in the VHS Days (Whitecross/ Whitescar?)

So there's been several instances where people have had problems with each other.
Old 2004-03-12, 21:05   Link #100
method

While most movies use the cam method there are instances of movies hitting the p2p before premieres.
http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswi...tr1011227.html
Closed Thread

Tags
kemonomimi