AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-03, 01:10   Link #1221
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post

Spoiler for Theory - Demon King identity:
Here is an alternative which retains the current status quo of the head-maid and the demon queen. We know how the demon queen is facing increasing scrutiny from outside forces as she is revolutionizing farming. Sooner or later one of these self-servient forces will act violently toward her. If we go by the OP, then it is plausible to think that the Demon queen is cornered and the head maid comes to her aid by pretending that she is the actual Demon queen. She can enforce the idea by showing off those astral avatar that hangs around her and other magic item she possibly possesses. If I think in those lines, then the Demon Queen and the head maid can keep their current status quo without any problem. Or at least, that's my own theory!

Don't spoil it for us please, oh knowledgeable ones!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 07:33   Link #1222
ShiroiRyu

Oh man ...
The end of the episode 5 ...
So good how they fight. XD
Old 2013-02-03, 10:59   Link #1223
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
pretty much this. . .

Ive actually dropped the show myself, it's just . . .BORING!

if the anime creators stopped messing with shit, and stayed faithful to the sources materials it would be awesome.
It has been staying faithful to it source materials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
As few has already pointed out in the thread, the biggest thing that affecting this series adversely is the length of the show. This episode could easily have been stretched to 3-4 well paced episodes. I sure could have used more exposition about the hero to sell me on the idea that he is not a dummy by any stretch of the imagination. This series isn't horrible or anything, but it could have been so much better. It's a shame really.
Maybe but I can't lay the blame soley on the anime as a big part of the anime's paceing problem is it is paced that way in the novel, mostly because everything is dialouge. The other problem is that I don't think that even it they restored everything they cut they would have more then 2 ep worth of material so they would either have to do a lot to pad to get the 12 eps to cover one book, do what they are doing now to cover the first 2 books, or cover 3 with a 24 ep season(best option but then we run into the same problem if they finish the series as you now have only 2 books to cover)
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 11:52   Link #1224
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I almost came close to dropping this one. It just doesn't have the same charm and hasn't grabbed me like Spice and Wolf did...though, I admit, it wasn't until the dub version of S & W came out that I began to really like it.

But I do like Mao though. Kind of meh on Hero....they just don't have the same chemistry as Holo and Lawrence did.

Spoiler:
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 12:22   Link #1225
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I don't hate the series but having not read the series from other sources it lacks impact for me. I mean its an enjoyable weekly watch but I also find it a bit forgettable.

Even looking at this discussion the only thing we are talking about is whether its a good or bad adaption, doesn't say much for the series.
I'd dare you to read the first 5 chapters of the "Kotowaru!" manga from Ishida to see if you change your mind.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 13:20   Link #1226
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Verse 5: You Smell Good, Demon King. And I Feel Safe in Your Arms, Hero.

Good grief, I'm an anime-only watcher.

I say that for the past five weeks the show has been informative explaining the politics and social issues regarding the nations that form the Human world.

This week they touch upon the issue of whomever wins the war, regardless of their agenda and underhanded purposes, has the right to write history casting into oblivion the opressed, defeated side.

War has been a steady supply of income for both Human and Demon nobles, but it's always the peasantry, the serfs, the slaves, and the poor that get to experience live on flesh the ravages of war, and them ending up becoming spoils for either servitude or slavery to tyrant feudal lords.

BTW, this week's Yuusha returns to Maou for the first time in a year's absence, although Yuusha secretly snuck back into the manor without Maou's knowledge.
Their quarrel and watching Maous' tantrums and pouty behavior was just delightfully moé for my eyes.

Last edited by Guido; 2013-02-03 at 13:22. Reason: Forgot title
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 14:23   Link #1227
GundamZZ
残念美人

First of all, anime is anime, manga is manga, and original work is original work. I'm glad there are less people who made the complain and comparison about those media.

The last scene is sexy and funny. The wind is blowing up Maou's skrit.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 20:18   Link #1228
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Can we please stop talking about how this series is inferior to Kotowaru? Please?
How many episode discussions more must be tainted by comparisons which have been done hundreds of times over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
I'd dare you to read the first 5 chapters of the "Kotowaru!" manga from Ishida to see if you change your mind.
My response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Good grief, I'm an anime-only watcher.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The episode is an episode of regret. After seeing the true situation at the side of the commoners and at the side of the demons at the same time, Hero regrets having become the light that burnt through armies of demons like a Prism Tank.

Meanwhile, the Prince finds himself ascending to the throne after the White Night King refused to give aid to the cause and the campaign ends with 6,000 troops dead and his father, the Winter King, to perish in the cold seas. The Prince, regretting having forged an alliance with him, leaves, seeming to destroy this bond for sure.

Maou also has some regrets on her own, not being able to cherish her very limited time with Hero. Fortunately, this allows Maou to forge a bond with Female Knight, opening up a new friendship between "the women close to Hero's heart".

The New Year celebration has allowed the Maou and Hero to reunite, and they share a dance under the moonlight. Alas, the Hero still has a duty to pave the way to "the other side of the hill", and so leaves for the Gate City once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Based on what we're seeing, Maou-sama no Yabou (Maou's Ambition) is still far away from realization. Maou still has to pull the strings from the background while Hero does the more hands-on stuff. And with another battle imminent, Hero tries to minimize the mortalities in his actions, and screwing up isn't an option. I'm actually impressed that Maou could endure being away with Hero for an entire year, so I understand why she got mad at Hero for not showing up (especially with that handy teleportation spell in his arsenal). But they have to do what they need to do for their dream to happen, and being away is a necessary sacrifice.

Next episode is a reunion and a battle with Maou and Hero in opposing sides of a battle?!
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2013-02-03 at 20:43. Reason: switcheroo~
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 20:40   Link #1229
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Can we please stop talking about how this series is inferior to Kotowaru? Please?
How many episode discussions more must be tainted by comparisons which have been done hundreds of times over?

My response:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The episode is an episode of regret. After seeing the true situation at the side of the commoners and at the side of the demons at the same time, Hero regrets having become the light that burnt through armies of demons like a Prism Tank.

Meanwhile, the Prince finds himself ascending to the throne after the Winter King refused to give aid to the cause and the campaign ends with 6,000 troops dead and his father, the White Night King, to perish in the cold seas. The Prince, regretting having forged an alliance with him, leaves, seeming to destroy this bond for sure.

Maou also has some regrets on her own, not being able to cherish her very limited time with Hero. Fortunately, this allows Maou to forge a bond with Female Knight, opening up a new friendship between "the women close to Hero's heart".

The New Year celebration has allowed the Maou and Hero to reunite, and they share a dance under the moonlight. Alas, the Hero still has a duty to pave the way to "the other side of the hill", and so leaves for the Gate City once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Based on what we're seeing, Maou-sama no Yabou (Maou's Ambition) is still far away from realization. Maou still has to pull the strings from the background while Hero does the more hands-on stuff. And with another battle imminent, Hero tries to minimize the mortalities in his actions, and screwing up isn't an option. I'm actually impressed that Maou could endure being away with Hero for an entire year, so I understand why she got mad at Hero for not showing up (especially with that handy teleportation spell in his arsenal). But they have to do what they need to do for their dream to happen, and being away is a necessary sacrifice.

Next episode is a reunion and a battle with Maou and Hero in opposing sides of a battle?!
minor correction Winter King was the one that died , White Night King is the scumbag that turn tail and ran
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 20:43   Link #1230
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Thanks for the correction.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 22:45   Link #1231
HandofFate

with the maou having access to potatoes, corn, compass, gunpowder, science and who knows what else, why hasn't the demon side won the war?

With tech. centuries ahead you think they have a huge advantage.
Old 2013-02-03, 22:56   Link #1232
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
with the maou having access to potatoes, corn, compass, gunpowder, science and who knows what else, why hasn't the demon side won the war?

IIRC That’s coz the knowledge you saw so far is limited to Maou before the story in this anime began. Plus, she doesn’t want the demon world to win (like she said/implied back in eps 1). Thus automatically prevent her from using her knowledge to gain victory for demon world. She wants to prolong the status-quo a bit.

(I think you will see where she got all those knowledge in future episodes)
Old 2013-02-03, 23:07   Link #1233
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I can't stand this show. It is conceptually broken, and the main pair of characters are as interesting as a plank of wood. The spice and wolf comparisons here could not be anymore shallow. The dialogue has none of the charm, wit, and humor that really made that show stand out. The character development is virtually nonexistent (2 years pass on screen and we've progressed virtually nowhere), and instead we get a bunch of time focused on a character's boobs.

This is a world where demons and humans are at war, but our demon queen looks exactly like a human. The relationship between the hero and the demon queen is exactly like a relationship between humans. For me this raises the question of why even introduce “demons” as a part of this world. The story could have done just fine with a war between two warring nations. The way it is setup now feels pointless.

Another issue here is the depth of knowledge the Demon Queen apparently possesses. The explanation for the war never really ending at the beginning was because either side would collapse economically after the war and it was more profitable to keep it going. Well if the Demon Queen really had such great knowledge, wouldn’t this problem for the demons not exist? Furthermore, they would possess superior economic capabilities and the war shouldn’t even be this close. This breaks my suspension of belief.

If this show simply wanted to show off some the basic economic advances of past centuries, the integration of such concepts could be more gracefully done than what we are seeing here so far. Right now the Demon Queen is basically moving the plot forward by introducing new socio-economic ideas, one after the other without establishing how she came to those ideas at all. So far I see no reason for the main character’s presence in this story since the Demon Queen seems to have all the answers.

Not to mention that the severe pacing issues make it difficult to invest in this since too much happens too fast without anytime to feel out the setting, plot, or characters. I really would love to like this show, but I can't see it as anything more than just an altogether terrible production.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 23:23   Link #1234
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:

She already explained at the start -- she doesn't WANT the Demon World to win, as it'll just leave both sides much worse than before. Rather, she's looking for an alternative to that.
Old 2013-02-03, 23:36   Link #1235
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well if the Demon Queen really had such great knowledge, wouldn’t this problem for the demons not exist? Furthermore, they would possess superior economic capabilities and the war shouldn’t even be this close. This breaks my suspension of belief.
I don’t mean to defend the faulty of this anime. Just want to address this one.

The short answer to that question is: Maou wants both demons and humans to live in peace and harmony.

The long answer: It’s not that easy to make her ideal world come true even with all the knowledge she has. Even her knowledge is quite limited (she’s not an all-knowing and god-like being, you know). In fact, what she’s doing now has been carefully planned by her for years (any more details will be spoiler-ish). Furthermore, like what’s already been explained in eps 1: before the war, the demon world had succumbed to civil wars for years. It’s not like her knowledge alone can deal with clan disputes. It’s already tough for her to keep it together as is. But now, with the help of Hero’s super-OP-power, there’s more hope to end the conflicts. On top of that, the war between demons and humans started a long time ago before she even became King and continues on. So, if she to use her knowledge after she became King and then demon world wins and humans got obliterated, that means she fails to make her “dream” come true. She simply doesn’t want that.
Old 2013-02-03, 23:48   Link #1236
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Reckoner: To explain the weird advanced knowledge the Maou possesses in detail is a massive spoiler. I think I mentioned what the place is called in passing a page or so back though.

In any other case I would say that all things will be explained in time, but with how the series is paced, I can't say it will be explained in a way that won't come as terribly contrived.
Old 2013-02-04, 02:20   Link #1237
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

That takes some serious skill, right? I mean, one wrong move and Maou-chan is flatter than a loli
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 03:11   Link #1238
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

Humans are united, the demons are not. This is old school.

The twist is that the humans in this world are only united because of the war and nothing else. The demons back stab each other the first chance they got as a part of their culture because in the end, fellow demons are a greater threat than puny humans.
Old 2013-02-04, 03:42   Link #1239
Ridwan

"Demons" are basically unorganized poor barbarians from wasteland.
Old 2013-02-04, 07:27   Link #1240
eiyuu99

Demons are also becoming united because of the war.
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem