5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-18, 14:47   Link #101
Scherzo09

Were they able to rip the video from the PSN? I was curious how they got those rips for the initial fan subs.
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 17:16   Link #102
Shoutmon911

Maybe thats why I was able to see the first episode of the ova sometime around october of last year on youtube. It was probably taken from the PN. Never knew that was possible.
Shoutmon911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 17:28   Link #103
Shoutmon911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo09 View Post
Don't be so sure. Episode was released in theaters in August of last year, and the Blu-Rays didn't come out until April of this year.
I dont think so because i remember that i saw episode 1 subbed on youtube around october of last year.
Shoutmon911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 19:08   Link #104
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
If that guy is Lelouch, I think they forgot WHAT happened between R1 and R2.
It's called retcon. Also, considering the circumstances of Lelouch's mindf*ck by Charles it can be easily pulled off.

What happened in R2 - Lelouch spent 1 yr with Rolo.

What can be retconned because of the OVA - Lelouch spent hypothetically, lets say 6 mths with Rolo & had the other 6 mths of memories implanted.

That gives Lelouch 6 mths "wiggle room" to make an appearance in separate media.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 01:25   Link #105
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoutmon911 View Post
Maybe thats why I was able to see the first episode of the ova sometime around october of last year on youtube. It was probably taken from the PN. Never knew that was possible.
No problem here. Xamd was ripped off the PSN, Gundam Unicorn too
Old 2013-09-19, 03:05   Link #106
Bonzo
I change anime endings.

Send a message via MSN to Bonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
It's called retcon. Also, considering the circumstances of Lelouch's mindf*ck by Charles it can be easily pulled off.

What happened in R2 - Lelouch spent 1 yr with Rolo.

What can be retconned because of the OVA - Lelouch spent hypothetically, lets say 6 mths with Rolo & had the other 6 mths of memories implanted.

That gives Lelouch 6 mths "wiggle room" to make an appearance in separate media.
There's the detail the black knights, (kallen, c.c and other people) always kept lelouch under surveillance for the entire year (taking pictures of him).

In my opinion they just make a cameo for the fans, ignoring the old series.
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 03:51   Link #107
Kusaja

Quote:
There's the detail the black knights, (kallen, c.c and other people) always kept lelouch under surveillance for the entire year (taking pictures of him).
I don't think they ever gave a date or a specific period of time for that.

All you have to do is reduce the length to match whatever time this takes.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 06:29   Link #108
Scherzo09

Yeah, for all we know, Lelouch could've been living with Rolo for just a week or so when the series starts.

...still don't like him being here though, as a matter of principal.
Old 2013-09-19, 17:21   Link #109
azul120

That, and he's being put through the ringer even more.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 19:01   Link #110
Kusaja

At least he's spending some time in a more interesting way than playing around with Rolo, provided this is actually the same character and not someone else entirely.

That said, he's only like the 10th or 12th thing on my mind when it comes to this particular Code Geass project though. It's not a make-or-break deal for me.

PS: Did anyone notice there's two people who have already rated this episode? Color me surprised.
Old 2013-09-19, 20:40   Link #111
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:

In my opinion they just make a cameo for the fans, ignoring the old series.
Again, this can be also be retconned. What's stopping the Black Knights from observing Lelouch even though he was being manipulated? Through C.C., Kallen would have knowledge about geass + Kallen also witnessed Lelouch's geass in the season 1 finale. So him being controlled would be believable for her.

Supposing the reason why they (Black Knights) chose to attack the tower in R2 ep 1 is because this was their first real chance to get to Lelouch. If he really spent the entire year with Rolo, what was stopping them from getting him back?
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2013-09-19, 20:46   Link #112
Scherzo09

I just feel; well, It's not like I hold R2, especially its godawful cliffhanger fakeout beginning, as Sacrosanct, but I think having him involved, if he is really involved, with Akito to be both contrived and also depriving Akito of the ability to be more standalone.
Old 2013-09-19, 21:19   Link #113
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

The thing with Code Geass AtE is that Lelouch was bound to appear at some point. I just didn't expect him to appear in this way. (Considering if that even is Lelouch).

He would eventually cross Akito's path:

(1)As Zero, when he was recruiting members for the UFN, he'd possibly meet with Akito's superiors.

(2)As the Emperor, when he began his worldwide war, Akito was bound to clash with his army at some point.
Old 2013-09-19, 22:11   Link #114
Scherzo09

I didn't think he needed to appear. Amuro and Char didn't need to appear in War in the Pocket or The 08th MS Team.

Those scenarios couldn't have happened because this was an interquel, it takes place between the two rebellions.
Old 2013-09-20, 00:14   Link #115
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
PS: Did anyone notice there's two people who have already rated this episode? Color me surprised.
Why are you suprised?
All I had to do was read this at AnimeNewsNetwork and realized that this Code Geass was a steaming pile of feces.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...he-exiled-cast

The Lelouch-clone is Julius Kingsley, which translates to this to me.

Lelouch Double + R2 ending stabbing + Cart Driver that CC is talking to = Epic Fail Sunrise.

At Xander
Told you Xander, that Lelouch (or a clone of him) would be in Akito and that they had to do it or else their DVD/BD sales would be garbage, and they have been for the most part.
Code Geass is Lelouch and Lelouch is Code Geass.
They put too much weight on this character and they really can't kill him if they want to continue the franchise at this point.
It's Okouchi's fault, and I'm through with this series.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is far superior to this anime IMHO, as is Gundam Unicorn, so I'm done with Code Geass at this point.

There's my rant/2 cents.
Old 2013-09-20, 00:14   Link #116
Kusaja

Quote:
I didn't think he needed to appear. Amuro and Char didn't need to appear in War in the Pocket or The 08th MS Team.
If you want to be completely meticulous about this sort of thing, there's an elephant in the room: Both of them do show up in prominent secondary roles in Zeta Gundam. It's not even really their story anymore but Kamille's, the conflict is separate from the One Year War and the Titans have emerged as the new threat, and yet they do play a high profile part of it. And you know what? I watched that show before the original Mobile Suit and didn't find either of their actions to be intrusive.

For other examples, I believe Amuro shows up in several Gundam Evolve shorts, and you do see both of their respective robots in a couple of MS Igloo episodes.

And for the record, it could be worse. Like in Votoms, where most of the sequels, prequels and side stories are all about Chirico showing up yet again as the sole protagonist despite his entire character arc being properly resolved at the end of the original TV series. He's in Last Red Shoulder, Pailsen Files, Roots of Ambition, Phantom Arc, Shining Heresy, Alone Again. For a long time Armor Hunter Mellowlink was the only exception to this, at least until they made a couple of one-shot OVAs like Irvine and Finder relatively recently.

EDITED: Just noticed the reply above. Oh, what the hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Why are you suprised?
All I had to do was read this at AnimeNewsNetwork and realized that this Code Geass was a steaming pile of feces.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...he-exiled-cast

The Lelouch-clone is Julius Kingsley, which translates to this to me.

Lelouch Double + R2 ending stabbing + Cart Driver that CC is talking to = Epic Fail Sunrise.
Curiosity at rating something nobody around here has watched yet. I don't rate anything preemptively.

I don't follow your math above. If anything, it is easier to do something like this when there's a giant one year hole in the time line. It causes the least harm.

This doesn't imply anything about the cart driver at all and there's another tiny little detail: Lelouch is not the point of view character.

I understand not liking an idea, but your reaction strikes me as knee-jerk. Oh, I checked and you did the same for episode one too. Well, shucks.

By the way, you're extremely wrong by assuming that Akito's BD/DVD sales have been garbage.

Or maybe you live in a parallel universe where 30,000 BD/DVD sales are worthless.

Last edited by Kusaja; 2013-09-20 at 01:37.
Old 2013-09-20, 01:56   Link #117
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
EDITED: Just noticed the reply above. Oh, what the hell.

Curiosity at rating something nobody around here has watched yet. I don't rate anything preemptively.

I don't follow your math above. If anything, it is easier to do something like this when there's a giant one year hole in the time line. It causes the least harm.

This doesn't imply anything about the cart driver at all and there's another tiny little detail: Lelouch is not the point of view character.

I understand not liking an idea, but your reaction strikes me as knee-jerk. Oh, I checked and you did the same for episode one too. Well, shucks.

By the way, you're extremely wrong by assuming that Akito's BD/DVD sales have been garbage.

Or maybe you live in a parallel universe where 30,000 BD/DVD sales are worthless.

It's also ironic to see someone who likes Yamato complain about reviving or returning popular characters, when that property did that a few times.
My point, which if you hadn't gotten emotional about this you might have noticed, is that Sunrise can's make a Code Geass without Lelouch.
Period.

Yes, I watched the first episode and the music is annoying as fuck.
The battle scenes don't need a damn horn blaring the whole friggin time its going on and the plot was weak, very weak.
So it deserves a 1 because it was painful to watch.
The preview of the second volume in the animenewsnetwork write up looks equally painful with the introduction of a Lelouch clone.

I have discussed this (over a year ago) with people here already in detail and as I said back then, they can't do Code Geass without Lelouch and that shows how weak the storyline really is.

Correction: Make that over 4 years ago.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...00#post2805300

There is no "alternate universe" about this.
SBY 2199 Volume 1 sold 15,000+ copies in the first WEEK.

Quote:
Chapter 1 hit #3 with 15,908 units during its first week, Chapter 2 hit #2 at 19,372 units, and Chapter 3 also reached #2 with 23,852 units. Chapter 4′s blu-ray came in at #3 during its first week with 20,941 in sales.
http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/752/

Code Geass can barely make that after months of being out.
It's a flop.

In Yamato (and Gundam) there wasn't such a stink by the fanbase about characters being alive or dead. Nobody threw a hissy fit if anybody suggested that Admiral Okita might still be alive or that he came back in Final Yamato from a coma.
In Code Geass, so much nonsense was built up over the death of Lelouch that the head writer came out and said he was dead.
Now they're going to put him in as a clone and/or alternate personality?
Give me a break.
The show has become a waste of time at this point because they can't get past Lelouch.
Old 2013-09-20, 02:29   Link #118
Scherzo09

Quote:
If you want to be completely meticulous about this sort of thing, there's an elephant in the room: Both of them do show up in prominent secondary roles in Zeta Gundam. It's not even really their story anymore but Kamille's, the conflict is separate from the One Year War and the Titans have emerged as the new threat, and yet they do play a high profile part of it. And you know what? I watched that show before the original Mobile Suit and didn't find either of their actions to be intrusive.

For other examples, I believe Amuro shows up in several Gundam Evolve shorts, and you do see both of their respective robots in a couple of MS Igloo episodes.
That's completely and utterly beside the point. Zeta is a sequel series; that's not what Akito is, which is analogous to a side story like War in the Pocket or 08th MS Team, which stand up on their own merits instead of trying to unnecessarily tie back into character or plot threads from 0079. And the thing in IGLOO (which is kinda just a OYW, Zeon Fanboy circlejerk, as much as I personally enjoy it) is no more than a glimpse of the White Devil, it was no more than referencing the Black Knight Rebellion in episode 1, which made since because it was a big deal. But pulling the character into this is another thing entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083
My point, which if you hadn't gotten emotional about this you might have noticed, is that Sunrise can's make a Code Geass without Lelouch.
Period.
But it didn't need to be this way. It could've been, and may still be for all I know, a standalone story that holds up on its own merits. It certainly has had a different tone than the series. But to me personally its just a move of base pandering to have him in this, that's just honest opinion.

But yeah, objectively, I like Gundam Unicorn and 2199 a lot more than Geass (Mineva Zabi is what Euphemia should have been like). But I liked episode 1, though not as much as Unicorn or 2199, and felt that it could go a long way towards establishing a broader world of Geass. I hope that feeling wasn't wrong.
Old 2013-09-20, 03:31   Link #119
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Geass without Lelouch... Just like Death Note without Light and D: Possible, but won't transfer the same charm like the original.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 03:37   Link #120
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Period.
Instead they can only make Code Geass with a "Lelouch"-type of character who is presented as a villain instead of an anti-hero, who doesn't even show up until two hours into a different story, and where the narrative doesn't revolve around him because he arrives halfway through and the Emperor merely uses him as a weapon for fighting Britannia's war. I don't see that being anywhere near as limiting to the storyline nor as personally insulting as you think.

Not going to discuss most of your opinions about the first episode because I share none of them. But now that the soundtrack is out, it is very amusing to still see people complaining about the use of barely two atypical jazz tracks, simply because said two tracks aren't universally appealing.

Quote:
There is no "alternate universe" about this.
SBY 2199 Volume 1 sold 15,000+ copies in the first WEEK.

Quote:
Chapter 1 hit #3 with 15,908 units during its first week, Chapter 2 hit #2 at 19,372 units, and Chapter 3 also reached #2 with 23,852 units. Chapter 4′s blu-ray came in at #3 during its first week with 20,941 in sales.
http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/752/

Code Geass can barely make that after months of being out.
It's a flop.
Oh, so you want first WEEK sales only?

Let's use the power of Google and ask the Internet for facts then:

Quote:
2013 01/28~02/03 BD List
24,507 *1 Code Geass Boukoku no Akito v1

2013 01/28~02/03 DVD List
2,818 *1 Code Geass Boukoku no Akito v1
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-28-february-3

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-28-february-3

That's 24,507 BDs and 2,818 DVDs in the first WEEK.

To highlight the obvious when comparing first WEEKs, 24,507 is a larger figure than 15,908. It would seem reality disagrees with your assessment of "flop" here.

Ignoring cumulative sales doesn't exactly help your case either, since the industry itself doesn't ignore them.

And to quote your own link: An average of 20,000 may not seem like a lot, but since Japanese blu-rays retail for 3-4 times the cost of an American disc, this represents substantial revenue. But apparently this is a "flop" for something that doesn't even have the same running time as any one chapter of Yamato 2199? Nope!

Quote:
In Yamato (and Gundam) there wasn't such a stink by the fanbase about characters being alive or dead.
That's not really true at all. Let me refresh your memory.

Spoiler for Original Yamato and its sequels:

Quote:
The show has become a waste of time at this point because they can't get past Lelouch.
If the laser-target in your mind is set on only caring provided Lelouch never even shows up in a minor role, that is. I am so glad that doesn't happen to me.

Quote:
That's completely and utterly beside the point. Zeta is a sequel series; that's not what Akito is, which is analogous to a side story like War in the Pocket or 08th MS Team, which stand up on their own merits instead of trying to unnecessarily tie back into character or plot threads from 0079.
I am of the personal opinion that there isn't some sort of golden rule about what sequels are allowed to do and what side stories aren't.

If you press me, then I can just admit this can be considered an interquel, which makes it both a sequel and a prequel at the same time.

The reason I brought up Zeta is this: it came out long before 0080 and 08th MS Team in production order and was the first official expansion of the Gundam universe.

It's not directly continuing the Zeon vs. Federation war, and I was able to have fun watching that show without knowing anything about the history of Amuro or Char.

Akito the Exiled is the first official expansion of Code Geass and nothing else, since R2 was the 2nd half of the previous story, has been produced before it in animated form.

It's not directly continuing the war for the liberation of Japan, and I have not felt that you need to know much of anything about the history of Lelouch in order to enjoy this.

Whatever the case...I don't think you can say that this is, objectively, deserving of a 1 out of 10 even if you hate the idea of Julius or whoever appearing. Or can you?

Last edited by Kusaja; 2013-09-20 at 04:02.