AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-17, 18:56   Link #1
tbl
Affably Evil

Depressing anime (but not Kanon depressing)

Hi, I'm looking for an anime or manga series that is depressing, but not like Kanon, Air, etc. where it depressing because of the characters relationships and individual tragedies, but depressing because the characters live in a world that is just so screwed up (though it can contain the aforementioned).

In other words, depressing like 1984. I guess I'm looking for something that doesn't make you cry, so much as make you feel really low and loose faith in humanity and all that is good(though maybe that's going a bit far). 1984 presents a world that is filled with literally 100% hopelessness.

The protagonist should be male and awesome as well.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Last edited by tbl; 2007-11-18 at 02:02.
Old 2007-11-17, 19:28   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

mmm... I know exactly what you mean, being a big fan of 1984, so I will help you as best I can.

Well, the most obvious candidate is Neon Genesis Evangelion where the main character faces boatloads of mesed-up shit... a lot of people dislike him because he's sort of a wimp, but when given the situation, I don't bllame him too much. NGE is a show you need to see regardless, but if this is the kind of show you're looking for, now's a perfect opportunity watch (26 eps)

Texhnolyze is a brilliant choice - the main character faces insane challenges (he gets his arm and leg cut off in the first episode... and he's just left to die.) this show starts off REALLY slow (first ep is legendary for being almost 100% silent.) and it's really dark and grinding. I've only seen the first 5 eps, but I would like to continue. And yeah, from what I've seen the setting is pretty dystopian/oddworld like 1984 (23 eps)

And yeah, hopefully that'll do it for you for now, since I can't really think of any others. Good luck, and you have interesting taste ^_^
Old 2007-11-17, 19:50   Link #3
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
And yeah, hopefully that'll do it for you for now, since I can't really think of any others. Good luck, and you have interesting taste ^_^
Probably , but I also like Bleach.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2007-11-18, 00:19   Link #4
shomazta
imataco
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to shomazta Send a message via MSN to shomazta Send a message via Yahoo to shomazta
I'm too lazy to think up complete series, but here are two movies I really liked :/

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade - Set in an alternate history Japan in the 1950s, the story unfolds around Kazuki Fuse, a member of the military police force, who shut down his human side for his duty. It develops into a psychological drama of Fuse who is torn between love and his loyalty to the Wolf Brigade.(ANN) Really amazing animation and story line.

Tekkonkinkreet - Black and White live for one another/with one another just trying to stay alive in a corrupt world. Unique animation and amazing story line/plot.
Old 2007-11-18, 00:57   Link #5
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
In other words, depressing like 1984.
This is a hard matchup being that 1984 was written in America by George Orwell in 1949, where the U.S. was at war with... get this, Japan. I'm pretty sure that views will be opposite concerning the Cold War, in which Japan is virtually unaffected. My best bet to you is to search very deep into archives and find which anime has somewhat of a bad ending and is depressing all the way through.
Old 2007-11-18, 00:58   Link #6
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Ehhh try...
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora only 6 eps but its really good
Kimi ga nouzumo eien very depressing

ill repost if i can think of more
Old 2007-11-18, 01:24   Link #7
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
So you're not going to for individual/relationship tragedies but the overall society is depression? I'll recommend Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal and SaiKano
Old 2007-11-18, 01:57   Link #8
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Ehhh try...
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora only 6 eps but its really good
Kimi ga nouzumo eien very depressing

ill repost if i can think of more
That's more Kanon depressing.

Old 2007-11-18, 02:00   Link #9
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
So you're not going to for individual/relationship tragedies but the overall society is depression? I'll recommend Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal and SaiKano
I guess so, but more specifically I'm looking for something that doesn't make you cry, so much as make you feel really low and loose faith in all that is good (though maybe that's going a bit far). 1984 presents a world that is filled with literally 100% hopelessness. I'll add this to the OP.

btw: Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal was great on every level, even great for being Italian food.

Old 2007-11-18, 03:10   Link #10
kjk8288
Caffein > Sleep

Quote:
That's more Kanon depressing.
Well I wouldn't really call Hanbun no tsuki ga noboru depressing. I'd say more on the touching side then a depressing side.
Spoiler for Ending:
Old 2007-11-18, 03:35   Link #11
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
I guess so, but more specifically I'm looking for something that doesn't make you cry, so much as make you feel really low and loose faith in all that is good (though maybe that's going a bit far). 1984 presents a world that is filled with literally 100% hopelessness. I'll add this to the OP.
you know what? I wasn't going to bring it up, but goddammit, you need to go watch Welcome to the NHK. That show is a comedy, but it's a sadistic comedy and the world is so utterly hopeless that you want to cry while you laugh. And i swear to god, the last few eps were inexplacably torn from the pages of 1984. I compare them often.
Old 2007-11-18, 03:49   Link #12
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:

btw: Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal was great on every level, even great for being Italian food.
SaiKano didn't really make cry, but it just makes me shocked that something like this could happen, so I think it'll fit.
Old 2007-11-18, 04:53   Link #13
Echoes

You might want to check out Innocent Venus. I think it's what you're looking for, definitely a dystopian world and dark atmosphere. There's also a depressing twist in it that I never saw coming, but I won't say anything more about that.
Old 2007-11-18, 05:54   Link #14
tbl
Affably Evil

Thanks for the suggestions. It would seem like I could have saved some time by asking for depressing dystopias . I started watching SaiKano, but I remember that the art kinda annoyed me.

Old 2007-11-18, 07:41   Link #15
Solafighter
Hige

Hanbun is one of my top favourites and i wouldnt call it depressing.
I love this anime. ^^
Old 2008-01-13, 04:42   Link #16
bschultz

Any more depressing animes out there?

Also to add to the list Wolfs rain has a pretty good depressing vibe to it.
Old 2008-01-14, 00:28   Link #17
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Black Lagoon

Mostly action. Only some episodes fit the depressing part but it really make you lose faith in humanity...

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-01-14, 00:39   Link #18
coren

How about: Now and Then, Here and There
Old 2008-01-14, 01:15   Link #19
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Send a message via MSN to bruno321
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. It would seem like I could have saved some time by asking for depressing dystopias . I started watching SaiKano, but I remember that the art kinda annoyed me.
You shouldn't be looking for something as deep as 1984 in anime. It's just incompatible. While I'll admit anime can be deep, I think something like 1984 is unthinkable in anime.

But of course there are depressing dystopias in anime, just very different As somebody said, I believe Now and Then, Here and There fits the bill. I haven't watched it, though.

On the other hand, have you seen/read A Clockwork Orange? You should! Did you read Lord of the Flies? Brave New World?

Also, an interesting dystopian film which is very interesting and original is Last Night.
Old 2008-01-14, 02:26   Link #20
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Try Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu. It's Saikano, but with awesome art and some deep angst. Doesn't get good until about ep 3 though.

Tags
dystopia, sad