AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-02, 23:33   Link #1281
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

I probably sound like a broken record when I say that Baka Tsuki is NOT a fansub group at this point...

Honestly, I just hope more people just go and learn the language on their own instead of complaining about a lack of translation/speed (and that they actually try to contribute back to see how hard it is to translate LNs. Google translate doesn't count, but some people think it's that easy to dump it there anyway...). So while I would have lashed out at you Crystadgon, I do have to give props to you for actually trying to learn the language for yourself.

On a side note, Mahouka is not a series you want to learn Japanese from as a beginner. DenYuuDen, Itsuka and Seitokai would be simple enough to start from, I would say.
Old 2012-10-02, 23:59   Link #1282
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
I probably sound like a broken record when I say that Baka Tsuki is NOT a fansub group at this point...

Honestly, I just hope more people just go and learn the language on their own instead of complaining about a lack of translation/speed (and that they actually try to contribute back to see how hard it is to translate LNs. Google translate doesn't count, but some people think it's that easy to dump it there anyway...). So while I would have lashed out at you Crystadgon, I do have to give props to you for actually trying to learn the language for yourself.

On a side note, Mahouka is not a series you want to learn Japanese from as a beginner. DenYuuDen, Itsuka and Seitokai would be simple enough to start from, I would say.
Ping had reached his limit.......
Old 2012-10-03, 00:08   Link #1283
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Ping had reached his limit.......
Honestly, I don't have an issue with those people who complain. My only issue with those who complain is that they don't do anything themselves and expect the translators to do something about it when these translators have their own RL issues. I'm rather calm (call it tranquil fury). If you guys exactly see me typing in large font, you know I lost it. (I think I did so once in the IS thread over how people expect it to continue despite Izuru's health or something...) So when I do carry out threats and stuff, I am still relatively calm. (though it's not a pleasant thing for me)

I do rate the difficulty of Mahouka at 8.5/10. For comparison, SAO is 5.5 and Index is 7. Monogatari is 10 though, which is why I recommend an easier novel. (and also why I recommend giving the translators Seitsuki and Dreyakis more breathing room for this. The more you complain, the more likely people are going to drop out.)
Old 2012-10-03, 01:26   Link #1284
Mentar
Banned

By the way, TP - is there any good way to show some kind of appreciation to Baka-Tsuki translators?

You know - I wouldn't want to bring money into this easily, but I wouldn't mind letting a translator of my favorite series have a dinner on my expenses every once in a while. And at the moment, I wouldn't even know how to send them a mere "thank you" email.

Having fansubbed for many years myself, I know exactly where you're coming from. So I also know how nice it can be to receive some "Thank you so much for your hard work" feedback. And at the moment, I don't know how to give it.
Old 2012-10-03, 02:32   Link #1285
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
By the way, TP - is there any good way to show some kind of appreciation to Baka-Tsuki translators?

You know - I wouldn't want to bring money into this easily, but I wouldn't mind letting a translator of my favorite series have a dinner on my expenses every once in a while. And at the moment, I wouldn't even know how to send them a mere "thank you" email.

Having fansubbed for many years myself, I know exactly where you're coming from. So I also know how nice it can be to receive some "Thank you so much for your hard work" feedback. And at the moment, I don't know how to give it.
just go to Singapore, my subordinate can find him easily there
oh! and if you come there, please let me know, we have same intention, but I can't leave this place, so I'll send some one on my stead
A bunch of presents is nice than a lone huge one, right?
Old 2012-10-03, 08:06   Link #1286
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post

Just the feedback would do, I guess. Whenever they (or anyone else) post updates so on the threads here, even if they aren't around, you can just post it in response to their updates. I (hopefully) wish that would be enough for the translators. To be honest, when I say that Baka Tsuki is not a fansub group, I mean that all the translators are independent, which means that there is no control over when the updates will happen. That is why I do find it annoying that people keep asking when some series will be updated because we have no idea in the first place. (or whether the translators are active...). Honestly, the greatest gift to me as a translator now would be more translators so that I don't have to hear lots of complains every single day. I can't complain because not many are willing to work on it in the first place though. (I do appreciate the gratitude, but please don't use your money to reward our translators, whether directly or indirectly. We're doing this for free in the first place, so I don't find it right to accept any monetary reward or physical reward. Thank you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surerman View Post
just go to Singapore, my subordinate can find him easily there
oh! and if you come there, please let me know, we have same intention, but I can't leave this place, so I'll send some one on my stead
A bunch of presents is nice than a lone huge one, right?
I swear, I hope you don't continue stalking me when I retire one of these days...

Back onto Mahouka, the first two volumes are pretty thick themselves. Good job for lasting through, Seitsuki.
Old 2012-10-03, 08:17   Link #1287
Insane
Banned

Just wondering. Why were the afterwords in both Vol 1 and 2 not translated? Were they not very important or any other circumstances?
Old 2012-10-03, 08:48   Link #1288
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Just wondering. Why were the afterwords in both Vol 1 and 2 not translated? Were they not very important or any other circumstances?
As Teh_Ping said, BT is not a fansub/translation group, it's a wiki, so translations don't have to follow a certain schedule, nor the progress is attached to some previous plan. It's just up to the translators to take some project (with luck, more will join).

After-words always are important by themselves because you get to know a little bit more about the author, and there are news and stuff.

Just wait, or try to TL that by yourself. You can find it rather fun because "atogaki" doesn't last more than 2-3 pages (out of 400 or more than these books have generally).

As for Seitsuki, he's la*****n' slave just a kind person as Dreyakis for take some time to work on it

---

@Ghanw, if u are a damn lolicon as me, u can try Ro-Kyu-Bu!. It's damn easy for starters.

Also, u can't try Monogatari-series, but it's rather difficult if you can't catch the puns, and if u don't have some experience with colloquial Japanese, as other matters

Edit:

From Dengeki raws:

Last edited by Syokool; 2012-10-03 at 18:25. Reason: Dengeki
Old 2012-10-03, 14:39   Link #1289
Seitsuki
Onee!

Did.. did Ping sempai just praise me?? Oh.. that was unfair.. gosh, my heart skipped a beat ~~ ♪ ♥

Anyway yeah, I don't think the issue of RL compensation should ever enter the equation especially considering this is all meant to be volunteer work. I feel that it would subtract from the whole point really. I do this out of love for a series and kinda sortta maybe for the readers so anything in addition to that would reduce those. Besides, it would mean I have actual expectations >_>

Ariel: get outta here. You guys are all jerks.
Old 2012-10-04, 10:15   Link #1290
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Volume 8 scheduled for release in December.
Old 2012-10-04, 10:32   Link #1291
Velsy

Um, I only just sorta started this Light novel, after reading the 10 manga chapters. So I know I am not up to the latest of chapters yet. But I have a question to ask about chapter 3 (where I currently am) Its to do with Mari. I'll put it in a spoiler just for spoiler sake.

Spoiler for Chapter 3:
Old 2012-10-04, 11:42   Link #1292
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Um, I only just sorta started this Light novel, after reading the 10 manga chapters. So I know I am not up to the latest of chapters yet. But I have a question to ask about chapter 3 (where I currently am) Its to do with Mari. I'll put it in a spoiler just for spoiler sake.

Spoiler for Chapter 3:
I think that you are over analyzing the issue here... I suppose that it's better to talk outside spoiler talks, since the LN thread is way head from the manga thread....

Anyway, I am under the impression that Mari labeled Tatsuya as a troublemaker at first, and also as someone who squeals his way out of trouble. Being a troublemaker herself she seems kinda fond of the conflictive character type So I guess that when it was clear that Tatsuya wasn't brewing up trouble she started treating him better.

About her being insulting, her character type is kinda blunt, so it's probably not intentional. She also already has a boyfriend (this is something that Tatsuya noticed from her actions).
Old 2012-10-04, 11:53   Link #1293
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
I think that you are over analyzing the issue here... I suppose that it's better to talk outside spoiler talks, since the LN thread is way head from the manga thread....

Anyway, I am under the impression that Mari labeled Tatsuya as a troublemaker at first, and also as someone who squeals his way out of trouble. Being a troublemaker herself she seems kinda fond of the conflictive character type So I guess that when it was clear that Tatsuya wasn't brewing up trouble she started treating him better.

About her being insulting, her character type is kinda blunt, so it's probably not intentional. She also already has a boyfriend (this is something that Tatsuya noticed from her actions).
From my understanding, it was more like: "You're an interesting character, I'll keep my eye on you"

This is particularly evident due to the fact that she found out he could read activation sequences. That being said, she's definitely interested in characters with "spunk" and "confidence" that they can back up.. although she isn't aware of his true capabilities at this point.
Old 2012-10-04, 17:06   Link #1294
Dreyakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post

Spoiler for Chapter 3:
Many things are lost in the context of the manga, since each chapter only has at best 30 or so pages to work with.

Essentially, Mari's response is twofold. First: she recognizes that Tatsuya was able to weasel everyone present out of any responsibility of wrong doing. From a law enforcement perspective, having these people in the field is a headache. However, having these people on your side is awesome. Second, as someone else mentioned earlier, knowing that Tatsuya can read Activation Sequences is huge. This is like knowing what spell your opponent is going to use, then tapping two blue mana and using Counter Spell. It gives a massive advantage in combat, and, again from the law enforcement perspective, you can now prove that people had the intent to use dangerous magic.

In the School Council Meeting, Mari called Tatsuya "boring" because he's practically impossible to fluster. Think of a generic shounen series, any generic shounen series. In general, young, impressionable, red-blooded males are easily distracted or flustered by beautiful ladies of similar age. Tatsuya... is immune to this. Rather than being "boring", Tatsuya is able to take the best teasing hits you can throw at him, then retaliate with something of his own.

In conclusion, Mari wants to recruit Tatsuya for his outstanding abilities: to think on his feet and ability to discern Activation Sequences. She merely thinks he's boring because there's no way in hell she can get any reaction out of him. (As you will see in future chapters)
Old 2012-10-04, 17:16   Link #1295
blackwhite67
Banned

So a good number of people know about Tatsuya's healing magic, but they don't know about his killer decomposition magic, right?
Old 2012-10-04, 17:44   Link #1296
Mentar
Banned

No. Aside from Miyuki, the Yotsuba and the military, nobody knows about his healing magic. Everyone at school but Miyuki is clueless, and this won't change until the end of the Yokohama arc, which hasn't been done in the LN releases (only in the web novel ones).
Old 2012-10-04, 18:06   Link #1297
blackwhite67
Banned

I was talking currently, as in summary-wise.
Old 2012-10-05, 14:09   Link #1298
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Voice Cast (dorama DVD):

Yuichi Nakamura: Shiba Tatsuya
Saori Hayami: Shiba Miyuku
Kikuko Inoue: Shiba Miya
Aya Endō: Sakurai Honami
Tōru Ōkawa: Kazama Harunobu
Tarusuke Shingaki: Sanada Shikeru

I don't know about seiyuus so...
Old 2012-10-05, 16:45   Link #1299
Velsy

Another question or 2

From chapter 4

Quote:
Because that person was her elder brother. Her elder brother by blood. From that moment 3 years ago, when she first heard their relation. (!)

That day 3 years ago, since being saved by that person and knowing the truth, I have worked hard towards being a worthy little sister to that person.
I dont fully understand the meaning. Is she meaning she only found out she had a brother 3 years ago ? Or that she only fell in love with him 3 years ago. I think its the later, but I dont fully understand the meaning shes getting at.

Also for Mayumi, if I understand the conversation correctly at the end of chapter 3. Shes just a saddist who loves to tease people? who stand out. Thus Tatsuya turning out to be someone she cant control and can see right through her.
I, as the same as Leo/Erikia/Mizuki mentioned later on, also had the impression when Tatsuya first met before the entrance ceromony, it was set up and planned. Ever since I had been trying to work out her motive. Because it was clearly stated, that he didnt stand out to people (unlike his beautiful sister), and he also has the narrow glaring eyes type that makes people uneasy. Not a bishie if you know what I mean.

So with this... Part of her motive is uncovered? Because he stood out with the *paper* tests? The part where she was trying to enlist his sister is explained by the 1st year tradition. That cleared alot of other suspicion I had.
Old 2012-10-05, 17:04   Link #1300
Richocet
Lover of Purity

^^To answer the first bit, we'd have to go later on into the web arc summaries
Spoiler:

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings