AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-03, 22:56   Link #1
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

Suggestions for Anime with very limited fantasy?

Hey, I hope that this isn't a duplicate thread... but..

Can anyone recommend any anime (available on AnimeSuki) for me?

Two series that I've really enjoyed are Full Metal Panic (and Fumoffu) and Stellvia of the Universe.

Full Metal Panic was a good combination of what I like. School kids, comedy, action, a little romance, little science fiction.

Stellvia of the Universe seemd to have some of this blend too.

I don't really like anime with heavy fantasy and supernatural. I prefer more "realistic" animes (with science fiction being okay).

I've watched a couple episodes of PlanetES, but I didn't really enjoy them that much... Would anyone recommend that I continue watching it? Does it get better in the later episodes?

I also watched the first episode of Uninhabited Planet Survive, but it looked really odd.. The voices sounded odd to me and the animation was different from most others (at least in the case of the main character's friend whom she meets.. Sharla I think her name was?).

So, I guess what I'm looking for is preferably no fantasy/supernatural, but some sci-fi is okay. Something with some comedy and/or action. I guess, something a long the lines of Full Metal Panic (Fumoffu too), and Stellvia of the Universe?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 2004-02-03, 23:08   Link #2
mysticarcher

sounds like you'd li ke Sakigake! Cromartie High, it's comedy with some sci-fi kinda
Old 2004-02-04, 02:01   Link #3
SomeName
~ notoriously off topic ~

About PlanetES, I'm not sure if it's fair for me to respond since I've always liked the show, but you might want to give it a couple of more episodes to see if the characters grow on you.

If you're looking for something similar to Stellvia, Twin Spica comes to mind. It's a lot more emotional and doesn't have as much action as Stellvia, but so far it's looking like it'll be a great show. One thing I didn't like about Stellvia was Shipon's 10 episode long mood swing.. so far no signs of that in Twin Spica.
Old 2004-02-04, 23:33   Link #4
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

Thanks for the suggestions! After I clear up some hard disk space, I will download some episodes.

Although, some questions, does "Sakigake!! Cromartie High" have a story though? I like some comedy, but not to the point of a farce. See, one of the things that I liked about Full Metal Panic and Stellvia, were that they had comedy, but they also had serious moments (Although, I agree that Shima's moodswings were a little out there). Obviously, I haven't seen Cromartie High yet, but if this is the case, would you still recommend it? (There don't seem to be very many seeds out on AnimeSuki right now, so it will be hard to get...)

Also, about Twin Spica, if I'm not mistaken, there's a talking lion in it? Hmm.. I'm usually a little skeptical towards talking animals, but I think I will give it a shot.

SomeName, I think I may try out a few more episodes of PlanetES. Just a question, does a story develop? Because so far, the first couple episodes were just different missions that they did. It didn't really seem to build on anything yet. I assume that a story does start to build, however? I prefer an anime in which each episode makes me eager to watch the next one.

Thanks again!
Old 2004-02-05, 06:41   Link #5
SomeName
~ notoriously off topic ~

Though there is the talking "lion" in Twin Spica, the anime isn't centered around that aspect... or at least, doesn't appear to be so far. It's got the school kid going through academy thing going which reminded me of that aspect of Stellvia.

From the episodes I've seen, PlanetES is very episodic until the most recently released sub. From what I understand, that's when a main aspect of the plotline emerges. It's always been the characters and the realistic treatment of the sci-fi material that kept me into the show. After watching the first 4 or 5 episodes you should have a good feel for the show and know if you want to stick with it or not.
Old 2004-02-05, 12:14   Link #6
sothis

i definitely mirror the Twin Spica sentiment. the talking lion... it isn't a talking lion. its a lion head that a person wears. but regardless, as somename already mentioned, that isn't the focus of the story. only thing that sucks is that only 6 eps are subbed, and the last one was released a loooong time ago.

you might check out Infinite Ryvius. granted, there are a few out of the ordinary things involved in the plot, and it's very sci-fi.. but the emphasis is on character development and i feel like the characters are very real. give a few episodes a shot.

Get Backers is definitely a comedy/action blend, with only a bit of the supernatural (special abilities), and is decent.

and i dont think you'd like planetes any more if you keep watching it. the tone definitely stays the same.. fairly episodic, and very heavily based on character development.
Old 2004-02-05, 20:02   Link #7
TronDD
Team the box!

Give Uninhabited Planet Survive, a shot. No one seems to like Shara's voice but it's really a great show, regardless.

You might also like Scrapped Princess. There is fantasy in the form of "magic" but it's not what it seems. I don't care for fantasy, either and almost stopped watching that series as soon as I saw the first spell. Glad I kept watching.
Old 2004-02-07, 01:15   Link #8
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

Hmm, I will take a closer look at Twin Spica I suppose. I've been able to watch the first half of the first episode. The whole "ghost" lion guy is a little weird, but I will give it a chance. However, my main concern is that it has not been completely subbed yet. I'd really hate to love the series and not be able to finish it...

Infinte Ryvius sounds interesting, but unfortunately, it's licensed.. So I can't get it on fansub anymore.

Get Backers looks interesting too.. Will take a look at it. Although, there are quite a lot of episodes. Longest series I've watched so far have been 26 episodes.

Hmm.. Perhaps I will give Uninhabited Planet Survive another chance. I really disliked Shara's voice and animation, but perhaps the story will make up for it?

Thanks again for all your suggestions! I'd love to hear any other suggestions.

Oh yah, and another anime that I enjoyed was Geneshaft. I saw some of it at an anime conference, and loved the whole computer programming/spaceship intergration. Interesting concept.
Closed Thread