AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-12-24, 09:44   Link #361
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
It's actually more balanced than you think, I won't get into the spoilery details but some of the characters get very creative with what they can bend.
Yeah, there are techniques introduced later that balance things out. But even hinting at their nature or element is kinda spoilery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that the creators making a whole new series is just a cheap way out of writing stories about the old cast?
But the old cast is mostly all going to be dead. I mean, it's set 100 years in the future.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 10:12   Link #362
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

@Dark Wing: I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but Bryke said that they knew someday Nick was going to come asking for another season so they had this idea planned just in case. And honestly I think more people are happier to see a new cast than dragging out the old story, aside from one or two minor plot points it was wrapped up pretty well.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 11:28   Link #363
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think the Aang Gang had their story wrapped up pretty nicely. The idea of a new cast is probably a harder sell to Nick than another series with the old one - and more challenging to write. So I don't see this as any kind of cop-out by Bryke - quite the opposite, in fact.

If this were an actual anime, we might get an OVA or 2 set between the two series to set up the Korra season.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 19:30   Link #364
Dark Wing

Quote:
@Dark Wing: I'm not exactly sure what you mean
Okay what I'm trying to say is that they could've took the old cast and tried to make more stories with them.

I'm not saying that this new series idea is bad by any means just that it seems like a convent way to get out of writing about the old characters (perhaps because they've no clue about what else to do with them ) and sweep them under the rug when so much more could've been done.

However as Guardian Enzo up there has stated maybe I'm thinking to much about this...
Old 2010-12-24, 20:51   Link #365
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

And I agree with Guardian Enzo, I found that the gaang's adventures were pretty well wrapped up after three seasons and any extra stuff there would feel extraneous/trying too hard to pander to the fans. Plus, this gives a chance to pull in even more fans, although I agree that an OVA or two to wrap up some of the unexplained plot points would be nice.
Old 2010-12-29, 21:47   Link #366
chobisu
甘ロリ

Send a message via MSN to chobisu
I really loved the show from episode one. I was actually surprised when I found it it wasn't an anime but from elsewhere in the world. I didn't like how everything ended on a cliff hanger though - I'm desprate to find out if another series will be made and when it will be released. As said by Enzo, it was wrapped up well but I would love to see Zukos own adventure take place where he finds out what happened to his mother, et cetera. New cast? Would be interesting. But I would love for Toph and Sokka to stick around. Those two always had something amusing to say.
chobisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 22:27   Link #367
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

The new series definitely needs old lady Toph still kicking ass and training future earthbenders to be (almost) as awesome as she was. And I'd love if they threw in a reference to Sokka and showed some weird invention he came up with.
Old 2011-01-08, 16:49   Link #368
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I finished the series today. It is amongst the most entertaining cartoons I have seen and it's a shame they were holding back in making the story more unexpected or dark.

The setting was rather generic (four nations, four elements) and the story simplistic, with most problems being resolved too convininetly.

The artwork was appealing and the fight scenes were also the best ones I have seen in cartoons. Heck, the last showdown puts even major Dragonball showdowns to shame.

The characters were very likable and lively and their humor successful most of the time.

If I were to give rattings, those would be:
Animation: 8 (some more blood and deaths and it would be a 10)
Sound: 8 (good dialogues and music but nothing to sing along)
Story: 6 (too convinient and expected most of the times)
Characters: 9
Value: 7 (I would skip some parts on a second view)
Enjoyment: 8 (the story and the lack of blood made it too childish)
Average: 7.7/10
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 03:22   Link #369
Lady Tsukiyomi
Chasing the clouds...

Send a message via AIM to Lady Tsukiyomi Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Tsukiyomi
Like others had previously said, I would like it if they made like a mini-movie about what Zuko found out about his mother and what happened to her. D:

@roticonfan Aww...you didn't favor the story too much? Well to give the directors/writers some credit, it was a pretty good series with an actual plot that came from Nickelodeon in a long time. Besides, it was a very good series considering it was an American "anime". ^____^
Old 2011-01-17, 03:29   Link #370
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Tsukiyomi View Post
it was a very good series considering it was an American "anime". ^____^
No doubt about that. As I said, they were holding back; cartoon or not.
Old 2011-01-17, 09:59   Link #371
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I think Mike & Bryan did say in an interview once that they didn't like the ending they had to make but couldn't much about it since there was only so much they could do for a show suitable for children. Can anyone confirm this?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 10:37   Link #372
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think Mike & Bryan did say in an interview once that they didn't like the ending they had to make but couldn't much about it since there was only so much they could do for a show suitable for children. Can anyone confirm this?
I've read quite a few Bryke quotes about the ending (they're very outspoken guys by the standards of show-runners) and I confess I've never heard them say that. I got the impression they pretty much got the ending they wanted.
Old 2011-01-17, 14:10   Link #373
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I've never heard them say anything like that on the ending as well. And, considering there were a lot of people who didn't like the ending, I can kinda see an upset fan trying to justify their view with a fake quote, but if you can ever find the source I'd love to read it.
What I do remember them saying was that they did come up with an ending to the Ursa plot but it got cut in the end (don't remember the reason specified, I always assumed it was due to time constants but if Ursa was dead after all I could see Nick cutting it, they didn't even let them say in show that Jet was dead).
Old 2011-01-17, 14:26   Link #374
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, if they didn't like it they have a chance to fix it with Korra. But I suspect they made something pretty close to the series they wanted to make.
Old 2011-01-17, 16:36   Link #375
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
if Ursa was dead after all I could see Nick cutting it, they didn't even let them say in show that Jet was dead).
Spoiler for key events:
Old 2011-01-17, 16:46   Link #376
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I've read quite a few Bryke quotes about the ending (they're very outspoken guys by the standards of show-runners) and I confess I've never heard them say that. I got the impression they pretty much got the ending they wanted.
Quote:
I've never heard them say anything like that on the ending as well. And, considering there were a lot of people who didn't like the ending, I can kinda see an upset fan trying to justify their view with a fake quote, but if you can ever find the source I'd love to read it.
What I do remember them saying was that they did come up with an ending to the Ursa plot but it got cut in the end (don't remember the reason specified, I always assumed it was due to time constants but if Ursa was dead after all I could see Nick cutting it, they didn't even let them say in show that Jet was dead).
Oh I see. I think I also heard the Ursa thing and thought they were also disatisified with other parts of the ending. I admit, I was a little disappointed with the whole Energy bending thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Spoiler for key events:
Spoiler for season 2 and 3:

Last edited by Haak; 2011-01-17 at 16:56.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 17:45   Link #377
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Spoiler for On the Jet thing:
Old 2011-01-17, 18:23   Link #378
roriconfan
Banned

There are other things I minded as well that show sloppiness in storytelling.

Spoiler for key events:
Old 2011-01-17, 19:10   Link #379
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
There are other things I minded as well that show sloppiness in storytelling.
Well, allow me to answer your concerns.

Spoiler for key events:
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 00:25   Link #380
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
I'm halfway through the second season and I can't help thinking the elements are not balanced. Water and Earth benders can be rendered useless in areas without water or soil but Air and Fire benders can spam their powers everywhere. Also, Airbenders fly. How broken is that?
Theres water everywhere in the plants, in your body, remember katara used her sweat to break through that jail cell

and Earth is everywhere iirc Toph rose earth from beneath the sea in that one episode when they brang that family to Ba sing se

Meaning they can earth and waterbenders could spam too.