AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2010-09-02, 08:38   Link #1161
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I played this game about 2-3 years ago, and there's still something that bugs me (Who the hell kicked the can?
Spoiler:
).

Still, overall it's a great game, even though I played it without sounds (my computer had something wrong at that time). And just fyi, I like Tsugumi the most in here <3.

Spoiler for a not-so-related-note on the concept that the game is centered on:

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2010-09-02 at 11:20.
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 10:07   Link #1162
Kaos!

Spoiler for E17 Spoilers:
Kaos! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 12:33   Link #1163
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I'm about to begin Coco's route, but I must say that I'm less than impressed with this visual novel so far.

Tsugumi's route ended in the worst possible way (Yeah sure give her hope then tear it all down, brilliant).

Sora's route was ugh. She's an AI for goodness sakes. I can't even take her seriously.

Sara's route felt extremely short and I really didn't like how her character design through the game looked (I was really bothered with her eyes, made her look retarded).

And You's route was also meh.

I don't know, the story just feels extremely loose. I haven't started coco's route, and I know it's supposedly the "best" one, but I shouldn't have to go through the pain of all these goddamn poorly made arcs for a few moments of glory.

I've already pretty much guessed that there are different dimensions or something, based upon the kid's perspective and weird life readings.

Once I finish coco's route I'll post the rest of my rant (Unless it is just so good that it somehow changes my opinion considerably.

Personally, a visual novel like this pales in comparison to other titles like Sharin no Kuni Himawari no Shoujo, Tsukihime, Fate Stay/Night, Clannad, G-Senjou, etc.
Replying to this again, because I'm not happy with my original attempt to get the point across.

I take it you're familiar with Clannad. I don't want to sound pushy or imply you have to necessarily like the game, but the Clannad equivalent of playing through the normal routes but not Coco's would be playing through every Clannad route except Nagisa's. In fact, Coco's route is probably even more essentially to the overall story than Nagisa's, since it actually expands on some of the other routes, and I don't think Nagisa's story does that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Still, overall it's a great game, even though I played it without sounds (my computer had something wrong at that time). And just fyi, I like Tsugumi the most in here <3.

Spoiler for a not-so-related-note on the concept that the game is centered on:
Tsugumi is my favourite too - in fact, I liked her so much I named my desktop computer Tsugumi and my USB flash drive Chami. As a computer geek, that not the sort of decision I take lightly either. Her and Takashi are basically my favourite fictional couple too.

What's all the more interesting about that is I really disliked her during a lot of my first playthrough (where I actually ended up on her route), but I came around to really like her by the end of her route. She taught me that I seem to really like tsunderes in VNs even though I'm not all that big on them in anime.

As for the spoiler on the game concept...
Spoiler for Ever 17's ending and core concept:

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 13:26   Link #1164
Jze0
Hmmm...

@Reckoner - Its highly recommanded and essential for you to complete Coco's ending in order for you to understand everything that happened in Ever 17. You'll see by the end of the game how the writers connected all the events together in a way sooo brilliantly... I'm sure your opinion will change for the positive.
Old 2010-09-03, 04:35   Link #1165
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for diving:

I too also like Tsugime very much and so does her paring with Takeshi. Furthermore I liked her for the very start, since tsunder are my favorite type of girls ;p

Oh and for me whole Ever17 was good from the start with its original setting, some mystery going on, solid characters and slight of none intrusive romance - what more could you ask for? Without the final route I would rate it 7.5/10 but of course Coco's route changed it to 10/10, a true masterpiece.
4as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 17:24   Link #1166
jazzrabbit

So, anyone has any ideas how to fix the error-after-credits-before-epilogue issue?

I've tried moving the mov_end file, excluding the ffdshow list, uninstalled and reinstalled gazillion times, but no cigar. Also googled my fingers off, but yeah, Ever17 is apparently older then the internet.

This is particular annoying because I didn't use to have any problem - and one sunny morning NO EPILOGUE FOR YOU. Damn Epilogues Nazis.

I wouldn't mind that much, what with the epilogues freely available on youtube and all, but the game won't acknowledge me finishing the damn route because it keeps crashing right after the credits! and no finished routes = no Coco's route = no brick-shitting-fun. THERFORE! Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Till further notice, I'll be sulking the corner.
jazzrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 18:32   Link #1167
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrabbit View Post
So, anyone has any ideas how to fix the error-after-credits-before-epilogue issue?

I've tried moving the mov_end file, excluding the ffdshow list, uninstalled and reinstalled gazillion times, but no cigar. Also googled my fingers off, but yeah, Ever17 is apparently older then the internet.

This is particular annoying because I didn't use to have any problem - and one sunny morning NO EPILOGUE FOR YOU. Damn Epilogues Nazis.

I wouldn't mind that much, what with the epilogues freely available on youtube and all, but the game won't acknowledge me finishing the damn route because it keeps crashing right after the credits! and no finished routes = no Coco's route = no brick-shitting-fun. THERFORE! Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Till further notice, I'll be sulking the corner.
Your question is somewhat vague. Are you talking about the credits sequences in all the routes except for Coco's? Are you talking about Coco's route's epilogue? Are you talking about the epilogues avaliable in Kid's routes? Maybe Takeshi's?

The thing is, I need you to be a bit more specific.
GundamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 01:58   Link #1168
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrabbit View Post
...but the game won't acknowledge me finishing the damn route because it keeps crashing right after the credits! and no finished routes = no Coco's route = no brick-shitting-fun.
Sounds like the pre-Coco epilogues. I haven't encountered that error before; does it provide any error message? Does it happen on all epilogues, or only for a particular character?
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 08:18   Link #1169
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarem View Post
Sounds like the pre-Coco epilogues. I haven't encountered that error before; does it provide any error message? Does it happen on all epilogues, or only for a particular character?
Hm, not that you mention it, the endings movies for all the pre-Coco routes would always lag in my game, but I was usually able to make it past them to the end. If that's the case, maybe you should try re-installing them with the use of Daemon Tools and UltraISO? When I installed my game, it wouldn't go past an ending movie on the third disc, so I had to do that in order to install the game properly.
Old 2010-09-22, 06:43   Link #1170
jazzrabbit

well, i've only tried You's route, and as soon as the ending movie finishes, the screen whitens out, and "Ever 17 had encountered an error and needs to be closed". So I can't see past the credits, and because it crashes right after finishing the route, it doesn't count as if I' ve finished it, apparently.
D'ya want the actual technical report? It's fairly long and mentions about 30 dll files as well as long paragraphs of numbers.

I've tried replacing all the movie in the movie folder, but nothing. I can try another route and see if it makes a difference, I suppose...

I dunno how I can install it with Deamon tools, considering I have the CDs. Should I use the program to create a virtual image, then install the game via that image?
Old 2010-09-22, 08:49   Link #1171
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Yeah. My CDs didn't work properly, so I had to create an image of each CD using Daemon Tools, then use UltraISO to install it by using each disc. This might help, but I'm not sure.
Old 2010-09-22, 09:27   Link #1172
jazzrabbit

well, I'll give it a go. I thought virtual image is an exact copy of the original CD, though? How an that make any difference? I R CONFUSED.

*trying anyway while burning goats for the gods*

EDIT: bzzt. No good. Still no epilogue, regardless of the character. I don't get what the issue is, it used to be fine before. Ideas, anyone?

Last edited by jazzrabbit; 2010-09-22 at 13:38.
Old 2010-09-26, 23:05   Link #1173
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Hmm... try uninstalling any codec packs that you have (but make sure you have the files to re-install them later!)

Other possibilities you can try:
1. Check "do not use direct sound" and uncheck "use MMX code" on the starting menu
2. Switch off all screen effects in the options menu
3. Get someone else's saved files (PM me if you want) who have unlocked the route, and play from there
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 16:05   Link #1174
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Alright, it took me awhile but i finally got the urge to play and finish Ever17, which I just finished last night. I'm only going to make a few comments, but I'll elaborate if you so wish.

Apparently I forgot to play You's route somehow in all this, so I had to do that first too... lol. Whatever.
---

Anyhow, the last route was definitely a total mind screw, including moments when the kid looked in the mirror, and when you find out the Takeshi in that route is the kid from 2017.

I was actually pretty off the mark of many of my predictions going in. I thought Coco was the 4th dimensional being, but she was just using BW's perspective to see things. I thought that both of the years were simply separate dimensions, and the one who threw me off on this was the fake Takeshi.

Then again the one problem I had was that Ever17 talked about the third eye, or the 4th dimension the whole time, but some of the routes actually broke into the 5th dimension. So I tried to interpret both events happening as different 5th dimensional events. It doesn't make too much sense to me for the 4th dimensional being to be aware of these other possibilities.

Still, while I did enjoy the last route a lot, I do not appreciate the grinding they put you through to get there. Sora's route ended up being a waste of time as it was never really connected to any of the others. The whole discussion about the 4th dimension in it was also marred by the talks of the third eye in You's route.

I personally think that there should have only been two routes, the kid's and takeshi's perspective. Having two routes for each made you go through much of the same material and ideas to get to relatively irrelevant conclusions when obviously the ending of the game is Coco's route.

Some call this one of the best VN's, or the best VN of all time, but I cannot agree. While they did weave the story together brilliantly save a plot hole here or there, you can't have a certain parts of the story not hold up on its own. I for one was extremely bored during Sora's route, and was disappointed in Sara's route in the end.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2010-11-07 at 17:38.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 08:48   Link #1175
YaminoSeigi

Finished the game with clearing all route a year ago and i have to admit the story is the best.

My favorite character in this game is Sora though her route is not the best
Spoiler:
Old 2010-11-09, 16:27   Link #1176
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaminoSeigi View Post
Spoiler:
excuuse me? Who would you prefer him "stuck" with, a hologram? And I'll remind you the relationship was entirely consensual (including those bits :P )

No seriously, Tsugumi = best chara by far (not very objective but who gives a crap.)
Old 2010-11-09, 17:04   Link #1177
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I pretty much agree... I don't sympathize with the idea of Pygmalion's story. Tsugumi all the way.
Old 2010-11-09, 17:20   Link #1178
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Some call this one of the best VN's, or the best VN of all time, but I cannot agree. While they did weave the story together brilliantly save a plot hole here or there, you can't have a certain parts of the story not hold up on its own. I for one was extremely bored during Sora's route, and was disappointed in Sara's route in the end.
Hmmm... most players I know actually enjoyed the Sara and Sora routes, although Tsugumi is very much the preferred character. You's route and the slow pacing early in the routes tends to be the parts that draw criticism.

One thing I do like is how the ending gave a different meaning to a lot of lines from early in the game.

As for Tsugumi vs. Sora... my desktop PC is named Tsugumi. My USB flash drive is named Chami. I think that makes my affiliation obvious.

Also, not sure if I've posted these previously, but the artist for the game has drawn "grown up" versions of Coco and Sara... although Sara seems to have mainly grown in bra size.
http://img72.imageshack.us/i/cocog.jpg/
http://img261.imageshack.us/i/saray.jpg/

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 17:35   Link #1179
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Hmmm... most players I know actually enjoyed the Sara and Sora routes, although Tsugumi is very much the preferred character. You's route and the slow pacing early in the routes tends to be the parts that draw criticism.

One thing I do like is how the ending gave a different meaning to a lot of lines from early in the game.

As for Tsugumi vs. Sora... my desktop PC is named Tsugumi. My USB flash drive is named Chami. I think that makes my affiliation obvious.

Also, not sure if I've posted these previously, but the artist for the game has drawn "grown up" versions of Coco and Sara... although Sara seems to have mainly grown in bra size.
http://img72.imageshack.us/i/cocog.jpg/
http://img261.imageshack.us/i/saray.jpg/
The only route I actually didn't enjoy was Sora's... I just didn't feel the ending of Sara's route was closed off that well, because it felt incredibly short.

The ending of You's route was a complete trolling obviously. They listed all the question to basically laugh at you. I personally think that's the route that should be played last, which fortunately I did.
Old 2010-11-09, 22:52   Link #1180
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
The only route I actually didn't enjoy was Sora's... I just didn't feel the ending of Sara's route was closed off that well, because it felt incredibly short.

The ending of You's route was a complete trolling obviously. They listed all the question to basically laugh at you. I personally think that's the route that should be played last, which fortunately I did.
Really? I think Sara's route is the best to play last.

Spoiler for Sara and Coco's Routes:

Tags
visual novel