AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Days

Notices

View Poll Results: School Days Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 94 20.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 12.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 59 13.02%
7 out of 10 : Good 58 12.80%
6 out of 10 : Average 43 9.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 27 5.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 15 3.31%
3 out of 10 : Bad 12 2.65%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 8 1.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 10 2.21%
-1 out of 10: I want the time spent watching this back 69 15.23%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-03, 17:47   Link #81
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu

Send a message via AIM to sasuke13
Overall I thought it was pretty good for a love polygon anime. Even though the main char. Makoto was a real dense dude at knowing how a girl reacts at certain things. And the way the anime ended was a bit different than wut I anticipated which is better, even though I wanted Makoto to realize he was acting like a jerk and stuff. The way Kotonaha revealed that Sekai was alluring Makoto and stuff with all that info including Kiyora's affection, etc.

Btw, reading the previous posts (not all) since when did Kotonaha get pregnant? That wasn't in the anime.
sasuke13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 17:59   Link #82
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
Indeed I used to take this series seriously because it showed some potential in the earlier and middle episodes but somewhere around episode 8 I couldn't take it seriously anymore. If I don't look at it as a serious romance drama show, there is nothing more to it that is worth watching. The characters are not likable, the plot is forced and illogical and there was almost no comedy at all. You say it is a parody, but parodies are supposed to be funny. Maybe some people found it funny, simply because of how ridiculous it was at times, but this is not the kind of humor I was talking about.
A parody does not necessarily mean something that ends up being comedy or "fun" you know. In this case the parody cause by this series can also be called a "piss take" for other harem series out there. However, even so i do not think that this series is as badly thought out as you or others think.

Logic is quite a weird word to use to describe this series. On one hand you could say that there is absolutely no logic for the character to have did what they did (ie sekai offering makoto that "special" sex training or even why everyone likes makoto in the first place) - but on the other hand i see that this is just as being the case. In real life there isnt always times (when it comes to relationships) where logic plays a big part. I have seen plenty of girls dating guys who are clearly mistreating them yet they continue to swarm over them like bees over honey (maybe they like a rough relationship ).

This series is based more of realism just like KGNE and while parts may have been exaggerated to the extreme parts of relationships (4 some playboy makoto anyone?) i dont see this as being impossible - well maybe not a 4 some but for guys to be sleeping around (girls as well but here people like that usually stick together anyway ).

forced plot? how is it forced? i thought it went quite smoothly :P (for makoto anyway).
Quote:
Also, you mention those "happily ever after" endings of harem shows. I do not think any of those endings is in the "everybody lived happily ever after" category. Usually the characters have changed and matured and there is always someone who does not end up happy.
Yep but ofc the "dump girls" are left to lick their wounds but on the whole most harem series are either open ended or conclusive to the point where the surrounding girls accept the current relationship with the lead male and chosen girl. what i am trying to say here is that on the whole most harem series that do conclude have girls who are satisfied with the relationship and of the leads will be happy.

Indecisive and dumb ass characters are plentiful and they do usually mature though i still dislike the "crimes" they commit before they get to that later stage where they realize where their feelings lie. I generally just think that male leads like that should be taught a lesson before they are allowed to love anyone (oh just look at poor kaede who had a mental breakdown but does rin give a fck? )
Quote:
Also, I'm probably misunderstanding you but I hope you are not suggesting that all male leads deserve Makoto's fate. It's true that most(not all) harem male leads are weak and indecisive throughout the show, but in the end they usually grow up and redeem themselves in a way. I never thought any other harem show had an inconsistent ending - having the guy remain a weak-willed jerk until the end and ending up with no one(like I think you are suggesting) would ruin the purpose of the show. For me this purpose is to show the character make mistakes and learn from them and become a better man in the end.

Spoiler:
Nope never, makoto is an exception for the "ZOMG YOU MUST DIE NOW RULE!" due to his attitude of *insert insult here*

he has never matured and never will but death is an easy way out for him

I too never wish for a guy to never end up with anyone but what i am saying here is that guys who do wrong should be punished or at least apologize to the girls that they have hurt. Too many times where i see a guy never giving a "sorry" to anyone and continue with their love interest. while the girls might not mind i just feel that it is unfair that they had to go through all those emotional traumas cause by the guy's indecisiveness (which is usually the case) without receiving a "sorry" or something along those lines. It is also common for male characters to not tell the other girls straight out that the "love X character".

takayuki is a man for facing haruka and i respect him for that

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 23:32   Link #83
lijon

Doesn't anyone pity kotonoha at all? Thoughout the series, except the first 2 or 3 episodes, she's been constantly bullied, shoved aside by makoto and cheated on. The hope that she placed on Makoto was only answered by disappointment every single time. And yet she waited on and endured the mental torture other girls gave her... only for the slightest chance that Makoto would come back to her again. What makes it more sad is she knew what was happening, she knew she waited in vain. It broke her heart, but she kept on waiting. What girl in real life would ever do that for a boy? Girls would have slapped him and moved on. Telling everyone who would listen what a bastard he was. Kotonoha's love was the purest and yet the most unanswered. She was, imo, the most "normal" character in the whole series before he had sex with *forgot his name* boy. For what I saw she was a sign of purity, she was uncontaminated by lust. She had a dignity which seperated her with the other sluts. And yet it was somehow degrading when she said she wanted to fulfil makoto's desires. But then this is an anime... it's the whole fantasy world for boys... girls all at their feet begging for "love".

Sekai is a bitch. There's no worse crime than stealing another person's lover, especially when that person thinks that she was her friend. It's disturbing how she can go on having sex with Makoto and not feel a heavy load of guilt. She thought by seducing Makoto that she could have him forever? Only the most naive and empty-headed girl would think such a relationship would last and expect the lover would take responsiblity. Or was she just another horny bitch with illusions of a perfect lover? She deserved her ending.

Makoto is another bastard that only thinks with his dick. Though near the end I was truely wishing that he had repented and would stick with kotonoha. I'm not saying that he deserved his fate. If he hadn't died, he might really have repented.

As for the baby, I don't think sekai had one at all. At the end when kotonoha tore her apart, she said that there was no one there. Considering that if she wasn't in her ideal world. Her judgement would have been correct. That leads me to think if only Sekai went to the hospital to check if she was really pregnant. (they didn't really say abortion in the text message did they?) If she found out she wasn't, the ending would have been much happier. It wouldn't have been like "take responsibility for your child or imma stick knives in your guts". She probably didn't go because she really wanted to believe that she was pregnant and was in the illusion that Makoto would take care of her and they would be together. She was probably getting desperate since her relationship with Makoto still isn't stable for all that she's done for him. (Yar bitch you're just another smex toy for makoto.)

This anime made me think again about the contamination in this world. If only people didn't lust for sex... If only boys would stop dating girls just because they want their body... If only the girls had more dignity to keep their clothes on... If only boys weren't so greedy for more...this world would be so much better.
Is a harem really a good thing? Look what happened to Makoto and think again. Toying with girls can kill.

Last edited by lijon; 2007-10-04 at 00:03.
lijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 05:10   Link #84
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Love Deathkillz's summary of the characters.

I had to refrain on voting as I don't think the way I watched it gives me correct insight to this errrmm memorable series. The reason why is no other anime has been able to stop me dead from watching it from absolute hate for a character. I hated Makoto so much from epi 4 that I stopped I just couldn't carry on. But when I found out the ending I was able to watch it but I did it backwards from 12 to 4

This series scores top points for invoking an emotional response from me, but boggle me I never thought I could have such feelings of hate for a character.

Like lijon I have to agree about Kotonoha, I did feel sorry for her. Between *beep* monkey boy, Sekai and the bully girls its no wonder she snapped.

School days is a dark dark universe not just the main characters, but the school itself is so dark too (the hidden video scene was just too *boggle*)
Old 2007-10-07, 09:55   Link #85
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
Oh boy, what a ride.
Harem animes will never look the same now.
8/10

I definitely enjoyed the story.
It was new and refreshing - maybe a little exaggerated, but I can see that happening in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyunicorn123 View Post
I feel like the ending justified eveyone's actions.
and sent a very strong message to the viewers.
The show served it's point .
Indeed.
4as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 17:38   Link #86
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu

I agree with the people to pity Kotonoha and Sekai. After all, you'd go crazy if you were to date someone who fools around like that behind ur back. And the hidden camera...jeez, talk about big brother...
Old 2007-10-07, 21:03   Link #87
Lost-Wisdom
Wis-dom-matic

Episode 12. Remove that and you got a great series.
Lost-Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 22:48   Link #88
Vicious108

One of the most hilarious anime I have seen. 3/10

Would have been like 6/10 up until episode 11 though.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 03:25   Link #89
Irwin1138
Tri Zába

IMO it was too evil. It was kinda stupid Makoto didnt tell Kotonoha about him and Sekai after Sekai asked him several times about that in the start. All this sh*t wouldnt have happened if Makoto broke up with Kotonoha in the first place.
Irwin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 13:40   Link #90
Dark Wing

I've actually been saying this form the very begining and looks like the end just proved it. I really don't think School Days was ever meant to be taken seriously. The whole thing was obviusly away for Overflow to milk more money out of it and I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't try and pull a Summer Days anime out their behides too. There were a million diffrenent ways this show could've gone yet they still choose to go the root of fanservice time and time again.
Old 2007-10-09, 08:44   Link #91
CodySilver

I wonder whats up with the 8, 9 and 10s.....

This serie is awfully poor. Crappy seiyus, ridiculous storyboard and the directiton is.... well, there is no diretion at all.

The only thing is its subject.... haren stuff does its moves.
CodySilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 15:35   Link #92
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Well that just depends on what you wanted to see...If you were expecting a serious love story (of the happy sort) then you will be disappointed
This series is a realistic (or a bit more hyped up version) of today's society which isnt all happy and fluffy you know :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 22:14   Link #93
Chewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodySilver View Post

... Crappy seiyus ...
How so ? I would think the voice work would be one that everyone would at least agree was pretty good.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 09:30   Link #94
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu

Yea, they weren't that bad, just cuz they're not the most popular. Someone new for a change.
Old 2007-10-10, 10:18   Link #95
Echoes

I didn't personally think that the seiyus were outstanding, but they didn't do a bad job. Makoto did sound annoying, which is a good thing. Setsuna and Kokoro were also quite distinct, in their respective ways.

I think School Days is around a 7, not outstandingly breathtaking, but worth taking a look at, and not just for the controversial ending either.
Old 2007-10-11, 00:36   Link #96
therationalpi

Fantastic trainwreck. If it manages to fool you into thinking it's an innocent anime, it catches you off guard and starts a tragic spiral. You can clearly start to see where problems are gonna happen, but you just have to keep watching to see what will happen. With morbid fascination, you see more and more people get pulled into the mess, until everyone's involved and those deepest in have no clear way out.

A few people have complained that the ending is contrived, or even that the whole series is flawed and unrealistic. However, I think the story gives us a "Perfect Storm," in terms of just the wrong people making just the wrong moves at just the wrong time. No one acts as a voice of reason, everyone is flawed, and every individual action just makes things worse. The ending really was good becuase it took this to its logical end. Simply put, nothing more can go wrong after that end.

Still, my rating was...
8/10

Why so high? It was a good trainwreck, the music was awesome, it was unexpected, it was different for the genre, and it was emotionally intense.

Why so low? Although the series was good, and memorable, there were a few issues I had from a direction point of view. Too many fanservicey shots of the girls really bothered me, for some reason.
Old 2007-10-12, 21:29   Link #97
Jeiku

I'd have to say that I got into School Days because of the ending. However, once the story went into full motion after episode 3 or so, I started to forget about watching it for the violence and I actively enjoyed the show. Very, very different than usual high school romance anime. Makoto's character was ironed out so well that I've actually come to deeply loathe him, and Sekai's hypocrisy is obvious it seeps out of her pores. Kotonoha of course was the most pitiful character, but apparently the game depicts her in her own negative light as well, so I guess the writers wanted to give her some justice by the end.

As for the ending?

Spoiler:

Overall, 7/10 perhaps, though I'm bad with simple ratings like this, so it's probably not an accurate evaluation. It was a good story with a good message I think, but got rather crazy at the end and didn't seem to bring justice to each of the three main characters.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 03:13   Link #98
Tormenk

I started watching School Days at ep 6 and that was around the point everything went downhill.

Every episode I watched, I rolled eyes and cursed Makoto for his actions, and sympathized the girls who got toss around by him and went through hell because of their feelings for him.

That went all the way to the end, which was hinted to a nasty end. The fanservice throughout and shock value of the ending which the producers went for left me disappointed. The show could have gone so many different ways, yet the people behind it went for the easy way out IMO.

That had been awhile ago. My opinion's been slightly changed by the music of the series. At first it was simply something that sounded good to my ears but as I got to understand the songs, it became much more enlightening. Each song told a story of a character, keeping in touch with the show so much, it is a first time for me.

Anata ga..Inai conveyed Kotonoha's feelings as she went on. Usotsuki and Namida no Riyuu sang out Sekai's heart at different points. Let Me Love You had all of Sekai's joy and fulfillment packed into it. Kanashimi no Mukou he was a requiem to the love lost between Sekai and Makoto when that fateful moment happened.

Now I feel sadness and acceptance for what has transpired. Putting everything else aside, it is truly sad for all involved in the love triangle. It's funny how a few songs managed to change my opinion of the show like that.

Overall, I'll give a 7/10 for the show.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 00:35   Link #99
kimchipride
Geass User

The character change taken place between the main characters were really dramatic. So dramatic that it seems impossible and inane. The gruesome end showed
Spoiler for what happened:
which is still engraved in my mind....

After the 6th episode or so, I wanted to stop watching because the nature of the anime didn't suit me well...

This anime was awesome though because no other anime had me feel so awkward ever before. For some reason, I liked the awkward feeling.
kimchipride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 06:36   Link #100
Hikikomori Ja nai
Pony-tails Turn me on >_<

Send a message via AIM to Hikikomori Ja nai
Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Hrm, maybe this is an impossibility at this point given the anime community here who tend to keep on top of things, the hype this series built up, and the whole incident with the delays and all, but I'm curious to see what people who have had absolutely no prior knowledge of the story whatsoever thought of it. (i.e. didn't read any spoilers or even any hints of even the type of endings that could've been possible, didn't follow the discussions here, and didn't pay too much attention to the final episode delay).

Well that kind describes how i got into it, I just recently finished the whole series of in one sittings after pretty much being disappointed with this seasons assortment of anime. I got into because of the little bit of info i got when Higarishi was post-poned and in the article on animesource.com they said this show was also being censored for its last episode. I gave it no real thought and continued on until about a few days ago when i was just utterly depressed about loosing all my shows, claymore, Seto No Hanayome, GL etc... long story short remembered about school days and dled it.

Wasn't expecting much, yet i came away with a really good impression of the show. Everything here seemed to be something that every other romance just skirts around or never attempts to play out. Never seen relationships in anime become centralized by the theme of sex (no serious dramatic anime that is). And the truth is, in real life that becomes a real issue with couples. Whether that is wrong or right is up for debate but it shows sex as some what of an deterrent for happiness rather than the usual sex is the epitome of love and happiness.

Now they really over use betrayl in my opinion, especially with the revolving door Makoto was having at one point. And I really didn't grasp the point or the believability factor of so many girls actually falling for makoto. It was like he had the midas touch.... instead of gold he got *****, speaking of which ****** seems to be declining in value these days.... . (im glad there was no female teachers, because im sure they would have been giving him home visits like the rest of the girls.) I do see how he can get trapped in that loop thought. It starts off as wanting to fulfill his urge albeit it in the absolutely wrong way, but once the ball started to roll down hill it was over.

Then you have the girls aspect. Sekai whether by design or by pure stupidity put herself in the position of giving Makoto what he wanted without making him ever taking responsibility for the situation. She admitted later by saying she "endured it and let makota do whatever he wanted" to me that just showed how desperate she became. As for Kotonoha her life was just empty without having friends or what seem like society as whole was ignoring her. Until Sekai made her realize that Makota was some one who excepted her, but by that time Sekai had already betrayed Kotonoha and was in Makoto's heart. I do believe her clingy-ness because I have had experienced this at the end of past relationship with several ex-gf's ; even when things was not going right refused to except the facts clearly in front of them.

In the end it ended kind of what you would expect from such a tragic story. Some times the next progressive step of a a falling object is to be destroyed once it hits the ground. Or like a firecracker to explode once it hits the absolute top. It got to the point where Makoto became these two girls life above and beyond everything else. No setsuna for Sekai and an debatable (did it exsist, I think it is possible that she wasn't pregnant) unwanted baby, and Makoto right in front of her choosing some one else. I thought that was kind of poetic how Sekai slapped Kotonoha and pretty much said the same thing that Kotonoha said like half a series before. Kotonoha had nothing to begin with and for a second thought she grabbed onto salvation only to have it ripped from her not once but twice.

In the end i think Sekai became just as crazy as Kotonoha so for her to lash out like that doesn't surprise me or upset me as it seemed to do to most detractors.

I gave the series a 9 because it was just refreshing to me. The lust that other romances could have atleast implemented a small bit of i.e. A!MS, Love hina etc... and the epic tragedy of shows like KGNE
Spoiler for noooooo for KGNe:

Just was everything I wasn't expecting... and now im back to this horrible selection of fall anime...

Last edited by Hikikomori Ja nai; 2007-10-18 at 07:30. Reason: spelling and grammer erros >_<
Hikikomori Ja nai is offline   Reply With Quote