AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-14, 12:27   Link #1
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Little Princess Sara

It has past some time after the release of ep.1 of Little Princess Sara without a single thread (I've been lacking time lately), but this only shows that, if it's not for me, nothing is done.

This is another World Masterpiece Theater series by Nippon Animation, dating from 1985. It is the japanese adaptation of Frances Hodgson Burnett's novel A Little Princess.

Quoting the Wikipedia article, here's the story:

"Princess Sara tells the story of Sara Crewe, a young daughter of a wealthy British family in India, who starts attending an all-girl's boarding school in London, where she excels in her studies and is loved deeply by many of her friends and classmates.
However, tragedy soon strikes when Sara's father passes away and her family goes bankrupt, leaving her to be a poor orphan. The school's headmistress, Miss Minchin, takes advantage of this situation and makes her a maid in the school, trying hard to make her life as miserable as possible.
However, Sara, with the help of her friends, perseveres and tries to endure all her hardships until redemption comes at last."

Don't let the 1985 mislead you into thinking "oh no, more ugly and old anime"; far from it. It is a nicely done adaptation of the original book. Go and watch it!

And now, for something completely different (some off-topic, that is):

Notice that there were three groups involved in this ep.1 release - yes, THREE groups!
Namely: C1 anime, Minor Ja Nai and Live-Evil; all of them groups that have a reputation of subbing some of the best old anime out there. This only shows how hard it is to get the necessary staff to produce an old anime fansub.

Basically, there are few people who are interested in old anime. Lots of english-based fansubs are composed by a majority of american people, if not 100%.

There'd be nothing bad about this if it wasn't for the fact that the concept of "american anime fans in large numbers" is a very recent matter. It must have all started slowly when Dragon Ball Z (and Pokemon?) aired in USA in 1996, and them incremented in the 2000's, with the appearance of good quality digital-fansubs.

So very very very few americans know and/or want to watch the series from before 1996 and the 1980's (not to mention the 1970's) that never aired or were licensed to DVD in the US. That's why, in english based fansubbers, 95% of them take only interest in the latest anime series; because that's the anime they're used to watch. After all, a long time has past since the 1980's, anime has changed.

For that reason, most modern fans don't even try to watch old anime. They must also think all old anime have poor animation, backgrounds, soundtrack and art, when, IMO, sometimes it's precisely the opposite! For example, go check Touch for very realistic human-sport animation and soundtrack, and "Hiatari Ryoukou", "Magical Emi" or the latest episodes of [I]Urusei Yatura[/I for great overall "graphics" quality with cell animation!

On top of that: since there's little "demand" for old series, the fansubbers don't pick them. (Yes, unfortunately, some fansubbers only sub for their ego or popularity, a very common topic. )

To sum up: we now have lots and lots and lots of versions of the same modern animes (which isn't a bad thing), but we have little old anime fansubs, let alone more than one version. This is a shame because some of the best anime series ever made belong to the 80's, being most of them the first of the genres that now are so "copied".

So, once more, my appeal to the groups (and translators, of course) out there: give old anime a chance!
Old 2007-10-14, 15:27   Link #2
metamorphic
ことわり
*Fansubber

I have many fond memories of Princess Sara, an absolute masterpiece in every right. It really is amongst the best classic anime of all time and one of those rare shows that really touches your heart and soul. One of my all-time faves.

Last edited by metamorphic; 2009-10-25 at 05:15.
metamorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 19:12   Link #3
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

well in my country it been dub to arabic
sara her name was >>>> sally
but what alot of memories
The Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 19:17   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'll say that I loved the book by Francis Hodgson Burnett, but I'm just afraid that the anime will butcher it. If it's as good as people say it is, then maybe I'll watch it.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 23:12   Link #5
DanielSong39

Must say that this show is miles better than any show currently airing. But then again, that is to be expected from the masters at Nippon animation.

The number of classics produced by World Masterpiece Theater is just mindboggling (Heidi, Anne of Green Gables, and the Little Princess, just to name a few).
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 19:01   Link #6
metamorphic
ことわり
*Fansubber

Princess Sara was highly lauded for being one of World Masterpiece Theater's best shows. It was an absolute masterpiece in every way, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wishes to see something magical. Its recreation of Victorian London was splendid, right down to every little touch and shape. A must-see.

Last edited by metamorphic; 2009-10-25 at 05:11.
metamorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 07:57   Link #7
Sairune
Mermaid Princess Rune

Oh my gohs, I am SOO Happy that this is being released as a download! I LOVE those old anime, and I want to collect as many as I can so I can show to my friends. Unfortunately, these old World Masterpiece Theater shows are so extremely hard to find. I wish this, little women, and other WMT shows will be released on DVD.

I can't wait for more episodes!
Sairune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 11:06   Link #8
FireChick

I saw the first two (subbed) episodes of this anime and I love it to bits. It's a shame nobody's subbing the rest of it. I'm trying to pester some fansubbing groups into working on it. I want to see more of it! I have the book and wanna watch more of the anime!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 13:51   Link #9
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Definitelly a forgotten jewel. I don't think L-E dropped the project, but they don't show signs of resuming it either.

Good luck FireChick, do you know of any fansub that would be willing to work on these oldies?
Old 2010-05-18, 14:42   Link #10
FireChick

I asked Wasurenai if they'd like to do it, but they declined. I asked Ray=out and they said that they're very interested in subbing it, but they have too many projects right now. But they're thinking about it.
Old 2010-05-20, 12:26   Link #11
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

That's good. As long as there are people interested, there's a light at end of the tunnel.
Old 2010-09-29, 08:33   Link #12
mihaiadb

Has anyone had problems with the subtitles ? I use VLC and i do get the option for Chinese/English subs, but they dont appear on the screen. I can switch the audio from Chinese to Japanese. But i have trouble with the subtitles. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this ? Thank you
mihaiadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 19:20   Link #13
FireChick

Good news everyone! I convinced Licca Subs to take up Little Princess Sara as one of their next projects!
Old 2010-10-16, 00:49   Link #14
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Oh, I love Princess Sara! I watched in Arabic when I was young and it was my absolute favorite (along with Lady Lady).

The art is beautiful (Sara, her doll Emily, their dresses), the plot is simple but done in an amazing way. Sara and her suffering will definitely touch your heart... I cried many times. ;_;

I'm all for old anime! *waves flags*
Old 2010-11-11, 01:22   Link #15
doll_licca
Licca Fansubs Founder

Your wishes have been granted.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=98999
Old 2010-11-11, 06:20   Link #16
FireChick

Yaaaaaaaaaay!!! Little Princess Sara has been picked up!! Thank you sooooooo much!!!

http://liccafansubs.blogspot.com/201...-released.html
Old 2010-11-13, 19:43   Link #17
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

And the release pace is astounding. Third episode released already!
Old 2010-12-04, 19:33   Link #18
janipani

I'm so happy!

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-08, 04:56   Link #19
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Princess Sarah is really one of the best drama like anime I've seen. It's been dubbed to Filipino along with Prince Cidy (?_?)....

It's stil been aired every now and then......

It's definitely a child friendly series and even adult watch it..... My mom watch when it was aired here in the Philippines for the first time around 10-15 years ago...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 12:53   Link #20
janipani

All the episodes are now subtitled.

I hope that as many people would see it. This series are probably the best explanation to my signature, why the very best anime are made in 80s. Because in its own genre and even outside of it, this is the absolute master piece.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote