AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-10, 10:14   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 674 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

My bad, I didn't notice that there were early spoilers! Anyways, brief summary since the chap is out now. But credit goes to T and Aohige anyway for the prior summary:

-Chapter title is "Spectators". A new ministory has begun, which takes place at mermaid island (probably a Caribou ministory, IMO).

-Caesar and the drugged children take out Nami and Usopp. Before they can finish them off however, Brownbeard appears and protects them. He's now aware of CC's true colors, but the scientist takes him out as well with his Gastanets.

-Soon, CC contacts Monet as he makes his way back to the lab. He then makes a broadcast to pirates from around the New World, some of the ones shown being Eustass Kidd and the Pekoms/Tamago duo from Big Mom's crew. Apparently, Caesar intends to demonstrate the new gas weapon he created.....

Hey, it's cool that we're seeing some more powerful NW pirates so soon! The guy with the cigar looks kinda like Urouge with an afro, IMO. I also sort of figured that a guy like Kidd wouldn't be interested in genocidal weapons (since his DF power is destructive enough, anyway)....

But hey, looks like those of us who guessed that CC took out his enemies by removing oxygen were right after all! And now we've got a new ministory. Like I already said, I'm thinking that it's focused on Caribou, though the geezer Hody crew is also a possibility. Anyways, can't wait to see more of it!

Oh yeah, and:

NOTE: LOOKS LIKE ODA'S TAKING ANOTHER BREAK THIS TIME. THEREFORE, THE NEXT CHAPTER THREAD WILL ARRIVE IN TWO WEEKS' TIME.

EDIT 2: Here's forum member Aohige's prediction for the schedule for the next few Jump issues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
This is what I think the schedule will be.

Jump issue 33 = on sale 7/14 due to holiday = One Piece chapter 674
Jump issue 34 = on sale 7/23 = No One Piece
Jump issue 35 = on sale 7/30 = One Piece chapter 675

Then, most likely,

Jump issue 36-37 dbl issue = on sale 8/6 = One Piece chapter 676
8/13 = No Jump week
Jump issue 38 = on sale 8/20 = One Piece chapter 677

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-07-10 at 13:15.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:20   Link #2
noktown

Omg they just got to New World and someone's already wiping the floor with their faces :/

How is it any different than what happened at Sabaody ?Why is Luffy so happy lol ?
Old 2012-07-10, 10:25   Link #3
marvelB

Fun fact: After THIS break is over, the next OP chapter will fall on a SJ double issue, which means that there's gonna be YET ANOTHER break after this one (though this will be the MAGAZINE going on break, not Oda). Just a little advance notice.....
Old 2012-07-10, 10:45   Link #4
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

You surely didn't expect them to just blaze through everyone but the Yonkou after their 2 year training. It's good that they got such a beating, helps show people that "No...the Stawhats are not ready to take on Admirals and Yonkou by themselves yet..."
Old 2012-07-10, 10:57   Link #5
marvelB

^I've pretty much constantly argued that much even BEFORE the skip happened. No matter how much stronger the Straw-Hats got through their training, there's no way in hell that they're capable of conquering the NW straight away. But yet I've still seen people who keep challenging that notion (looks in grey_1960's direction).....

Anyways, I guess the DF-powered slime is what CC intends to show off to those pirates. And it just occurred to me, but.... maybe the dude I mentioned earlier with the cigar is Kaidou.....?
Old 2012-07-10, 11:01   Link #6
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^I've pretty much constantly argued that much even BEFORE the skip happened. No matter how much stronger the Straw-Hats got through their training, there's no way in hell that they're capable of conquering the NW straight away. But yet I've still seen people who keep challenging that notion (looks in grey_1960's direction).....
Eh...watch how people will now start claiming that CC and his gang are secretly admiral or Yonkou level.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:07   Link #7
marvelB

^Sadly, that's true.... and we have more than enough OP break time for people to make multiple-page debates consisting of such subject matter.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:26   Link #8
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post

and CC can defeat luffy probably because he removing oxygen around him
called it!

Old 2012-07-10, 12:25   Link #9
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Actually, it says OP will return in issue 35.
Which means the double issue is probably 36-37.

This is what I think the schedule will be.

Jump issue 33 = on sale 7/14 due to holiday = One Piece chapter 674
Jump issue 34 = on sale 7/23 = No One Piece
Jump issue 35 = on sale 7/30 = One Piece chapter 675

Then, most likely,

Jump issue 36-37 dbl issue = on sale 8/6 = One Piece chapter 676
8/13 = No Jump week
Jump issue 38 = on sale 8/20 = One Piece chapter 677
Old 2012-07-10, 12:44   Link #10
golgo13

What a chapter. How Caesar took out Luffy & co. is confirmed.

It just get more and more interesting. All of these other pirates coming to the island will be pretty exciting. It will be interesting to see if the newcomers will have an active or passive role, i.e. saboady vs. war for ace.

Is the person smoking a cigar in the last page...Crocodile with Mr. 1??
Old 2012-07-10, 12:44   Link #11
hero147

I wish the SH were a little stronger. It always seems that the main characters get far stronger on their travels rather than any time skip/training arc gives them which makes me question why.

P.S. I heard getting to the redline took 5-6 months in One Piece time, so the duration of conquering the New World might take a year...
Old 2012-07-10, 13:06   Link #12
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Oh come on, the Straw hats ARE strong - it's just that it's hard to fight without air to breathe! They're not Enel or Frieza, you know .

Luffy could grab CC in his elemental form and would be wiping the floor with him if the guy wasn't smart enough to remove all the air around the Straw Hats. Come to think of it, the exact same think happened with Zoro on Fishman Island - if he wasn't underwater, he would've cut Hody thirty times over even if he used all his damn pills .
Old 2012-07-10, 13:07   Link #13
marvelB

Thanks for the info, Aohige. Perhaps I'll quote that info in the opening post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
I wish the SH were a little stronger. It always seems that the main characters get far stronger on their travels rather than any time skip/training arc gives them which makes me question why.

What's there to question? They are stronger. It's just that the levels of enemies they're facing is higher now, as well. Besides, it would be boring as hell if the crew just blitzed straight through the New World with little effort. Frankly I really don't see why they WOULDN'T have any difficulties with the enemies here. The only reason why they had a free pass with Hody's crew was because they were just a bunch of dumb racists with no proper experience in the surface world. The same can't be said of guys like CC and Vergo......
Old 2012-07-10, 13:10   Link #14
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
What a chapter. How Caesar took out Luffy & co. is confirmed.

It just get more and more interesting. All of these other pirates coming to the island will be pretty exciting. It will be interesting to see if the newcomers will have an active or passive role, i.e. saboady vs. war for ace.

Is the person smoking a cigar in the last page...Crocodile with Mr. 1??
It's a broadcast..I highly doubt they are coming in person to Punk Hazard.
Old 2012-07-10, 13:45   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlex View Post
Oh come on, the Straw hats ARE strong - it's just that it's hard to fight without air to breathe! They're not Enel or Frieza, you know .
About Enel not needing air to breathe, I was just checking up the entire cover story with complete story descriptions on one of the data books.

Apparently Enel and other original winged people of the sky islands descended from winged people who came from the moon, Fairy Vearth. Enel discovered that from wall paintings in the ruins he found on the moon.

This means that Enel is a descendant of an alien race and it may not be his Devil Fruit ability that allows him to survive in space, but because his race doesn't need to breathe at all.

Or it could be that the moon has an atmosphere, because some of the space pirates didn't wear space suits, though maybe they don't need to breathe as well.

But back at CC, now that it is confirmed that he can really manipulate gas down to the individual atoms, I'd like to see how far Oda is going to push this ability to manipulate 1/3 of all matter.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2012-07-10, 15:17   Link #16
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

hmm talking about skypeia arc. Did Oda somehow explained why Normal human like luffy and co can breathe 10,000 meters above the sea where air pressure is low ?

Old 2012-07-10, 15:23   Link #17
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Ah so that's how Caesar managed to take out Luffy earlier. It's like his own version of the force choke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
hmm talking about skypeia arc. Did Oda somehow explained why Normal human like luffy and co can breathe 10,000 meters above the sea where air pressure is low ?
There's still oxygen up that high, only just less concentrated. So the Straw Hats shouldn't of had any problems breathing as long as they stayed within the planet's stratosphere.
Old 2012-07-10, 15:25   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Ceaser is getting more and more broken. I never thought he'd be this strong to be honest. The gas gas fruit is one of the best logia we've seen so far. I'm sure he's still got some tricks up his sleeve too!
Old 2012-07-10, 15:40   Link #19
marvelB

I'm not sure why people would doubt CC's power in the first place. Me and some others already said a bunch of times already that manipulating gas means that he can control MUCH more than just poison. For instance, I pointed out before that in addition to removing oxygen, he can just raise the amount of carbon dioxide in the air if he were real serious about killing his enemies. That stuff can kill a person very quickly in high doses (and not to mention I had even pointed out that it was how Morau killed one of the chimera ants in Hunter X Hunter (it was that lion guy whose name I forgot)). And then we've got the slime, which even has its own freaking DF power. I'm telling you, Caesar is a perfect challenge as the Straw-Hats' first New World enemy......
Old 2012-07-10, 16:51   Link #20
Mateus

Good chapter as always, and somehow I predict the Ceaser pic from page 16 will be used for future meme purposes..