AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-30, 08:58   Link #101
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I can't say I've seen any fumbles
Me neither. I sometimes fail to see the damage numbers, but I can still see how the damage reduces the life bar of enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde
It could be my mind and the RNG playing tricks on me, but I wonder if anyone encounters this as well.
My current Outlander is pretty similar to yours (no str either), so I might try this a bit later and see if I get the same results.
Old 2012-09-30, 10:32   Link #102
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Me neither. I sometimes fail to see the damage numbers, but I can still see how the damage reduces the life bar of enemies.
It always does. Even fumbles hurt the enemy a bit. The only way to tell is to look at the color of the damage numbers. If the damage number ever comes up purple, you have fumbled. It happens often with all my characters. I just ignore it and keep killing the target.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 11:35   Link #103
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Terminology is tricky. You do more damage on a critical hit, you do less damage on a fumble. The two are meant to balance each other out.
It just gives me a feeling that I have to increase a stats to negate the bad point, instead of feeling gaining any benefit from that.
Old 2012-10-01, 21:32   Link #104
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I am now on Act 3 and I am trying to do everyhting I can before entering the Arena of Slaughter again. My defense is 329 (all elements above 280), but I want to increase that to at least 400 before even trying.

@ erneiz_hyde: I got the same result as you using both pistols and shotgonnes.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-10-01 at 22:59.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 23:32   Link #105
Who

I heard that place was easy mode with a focus based Outlander using a poison build.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 00:12   Link #106
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Hmm...so we have a forest encampment, a desert, and then a marsh jungle. Are we going to Hell next?

@Daniel: Do you mean you have the 1 damage fumble on the shotgonne as well? I suspect this "1 damage fumbles" happens constantly when your weapon is simply too lacking in damage power in relation to level. For example, now I'm lvl 48, and when I use a weapon with 200 damage (including shotgonnes) on the strawman in town to test, it fumbles to 1 nearly all the time. I'm guessing it's not really a fumble, but the damage being completely absorbed by armor.

Even then, the shotgonnes still were doing overall better damage when it crits. I'm guessing it's because it has better base damage than the pistols which have lower base damage but higher speed (not to mention pistols have a wider range of damage so they can vary pretty wildly). So even if the weapon dps says they're similar, the shotgonnes can potentially deal more damage because each shot is more likely to surpass the damage treshold, ie. more stable.

otoh, when I use more up-to-date eq, the shotgonne really never fumbles. While my pistols still do occasionally, thankfully not to 1.
Old 2012-10-02, 00:56   Link #107
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
I heard that place was easy mode with a focus based Outlander using a poison build.
Yeah, I am pretty much doing that right now. I also want to kill the boss quickly and not give him time to spawn underlings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
@Daniel: Do you mean you have the 1 damage fumble on the shotgonne as well? I suspect this "1 damage fumbles" happens constantly when your weapon is simply too lacking in damage power in relation to level.
I didn't checked with the dolls in towns, but the shotgonne was actually doing a little bit of damage, even when not hitting criticals. Both weapons had nearly identical DPS too.
Old 2012-10-03, 09:19   Link #108
Aesthetic Shampoo

Is anyone else playing the Berserker class? I didn't go very far with my other characters (i delete non main characters pretty quickly) but it just feels sort of underpowered compared to the others.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 14:11   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
Is anyone else playing the Berserker class? I didn't go very far with my other characters (i delete non main characters pretty quickly) but it just feels sort of underpowered compared to the others.
I haven't tried it yet. My son is trying one (lvl 13 so far), I'll ask his opinion. So far he seems to be able to survive ambushes better than my engineer does at the same level.
Old 2012-10-03, 14:56   Link #110
Key Board
Carbon

I'm playing as an engineer too and so far it's been easy.

I'm near the end of ACT II

Maybe I shouldn't have started on normal

what difficulty are playing on and how far are you?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 18:05   Link #111
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
Meh. Every class feels underpowered compared to the Embermage in my opinion, but that may just be because all of them have a good number of skills that I just don't ever want to get or use or pay any attention to at all.

The Berserker can become quite functional with a bit of extra mana. Shadow Burst is an instant ground-coverer that hurts enemies while charging rhight through them, breaks shields, heals proportional to how much damage it does to enemies, and can be chained one right after another very quickly for as long as your mana holds out. I find it quite fun to rush back and forth and back and forth through enemies until they die without any risk of dying myself.

Quote:
Maybe I shouldn't have started on normal
Correct. Torchlight 2 continues Torchlight 1's tradition of "Normal is the new Easy." My Embermage is some fair distance into Act 3 and hasn't died once. If you want the game to truly be challenging, you need to play on Veteran.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 19:04   Link #112
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I have now realized the awesomeness of the boost enchanter. He can easily add 30 - 40 stat points on a single item, and in single player, you can go back to him every time the monsters re-spawn in his location.

The dude that adds sockets is a pretty useful fellow too.
Old 2012-10-03, 19:19   Link #113
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Most people are telling me to start at Veteran (if not Hardcore). The Penny Arcade guys call "Normal" a cakewalk.
Old 2012-10-03, 19:25   Link #114
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Most people are telling me to start at Veteran (if not Hardcore). The Penny Arcade guys call "Normal" a cakewalk.
Veteran is quite nice but it can also be a bit frustrating. High level champions can do a lot of hurt and almost any magic user can be a constant source of worry.

EDIT:

And so I am done!

I worried so much about the Arena and the bosses, only to loose twice to random champions and their mobs.

Not sure about doing the mapworks or just start with a new character.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-10-03 at 22:56.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 18:54   Link #115
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
And so I am done! :p

-image redacted-

I worried so much about the Arena and the bosses, only to loose twice to random champions and their mobs. :eyespin: :eyespin:
Only two deaths? Congratulations!

And now, my latest contributions to the gallery. First, the Forest style...

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Next, Wazir...

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 19:11   Link #116
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Veteran is indeed a good place to start. Good balance between challenge and fun. Anything below is too easy, while Elite is only for the most prepared and reactive, which I'm not. I often die because of careless mistakes and slow fingers and by the time I finished one playthrough with my Glaivelander (which arguably is the current most powerful build in the whole game), I had a total of 28-ish death count and is rising as I play the mapworks
Old 2012-10-04, 23:14   Link #117
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Only two deaths? Congratulations!
Thanks, although I'll be the first to admit that luck saved my butt on more than one occasion. Started with an Embermage now and I have a couple of questions.

- Does Frozen Fate triggers with any kill or just a kill with ice spells?
- Which skills benefit from Staff Mastery?
Old 2012-10-05, 00:47   Link #118
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Started with an Embermage now and I have a couple of questions.

- Does Frozen Fate triggers with any kill or just a kill with ice spells?
- Which skills benefit from Staff Mastery?
In order:
  1. I think it can by triggered by any type of kill; and
  2. any skill which bases its damage on your equipped weapon, such as Icy Blast.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 14:16   Link #119
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Still in act 1 due to not having that much time lately but full glass cannon (full focus Embermage) is kinda fun. You die to almost anything but monsters also die fairly fast.

What I was wondering is there a level cap? I have so.many.skills to level and not enough points ;_;
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 14:32   Link #120
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
In order:
  1. I think it can by triggered by any type of kill; and
  2. any skill which bases its damage on your equipped weapon, such as Icy Blast.
Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Still in act 1 due to not having that much time lately but full glass cannon (full focus Embermage) is kinda fun. You die to almost anything but monsters also die fairly fast.

What I was wondering is there a level cap? I have so.many.skills to level and not enough points ;_;
I believe the level cap is 100 + 33 fame levels.