AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-07, 22:02   Link #1
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Crest of the Stars Novel

I was noticing Tokyopop must have recently released a Crest of the Stars novel? Is it any good? Worth reading after seeing the anime? Banner of the Stars can actually make the claim of converting me from hating anime (I thought it was all like DBZ. There was actually a time in my life when I hated everything Japanese, cartoons, cars, etc now I wish I could live there. Wierd, huh? Anways...) after seeing it one late night on TechTV. I was just wondering if anybody has read it yet. It's awesome how they are translating the novels. I really just want to read the one that takes place after Banner of the Stars II.

Edit: Actually it might be a manga. Someone help with the confusion. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...23166?v=glance
Old 2004-06-08, 04:05   Link #2
flammie
White Dragon

Its a manga.

http://tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?page=...productid=2221

Maybe if it sells well enough someone will bring the novels over also.
Old 2004-06-08, 08:24   Link #3
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
There is a Banner of the Stars III novel. Too bad there is no news of whether it will be serialised as an anime series...
Old 2004-06-08, 14:21   Link #4
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie
Its a manga.

http://tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?page=...productid=2221

Maybe if it sells well enough someone will bring the novels over also.
A good question would be whether Tokyopop actually have enough staff and/or experienced enough staff to tackle novels.
Old 2004-06-08, 15:21   Link #5
abubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
There is a Banner of the Stars III novel. Too bad there is no news of whether it will be serialised as an anime series...
It's unlikely since the author has said that he's kinda tired of the BotS world. There's hasn't been a new novel for a while.

I did read the BotS III novel, it's okay but not as epic as the previous novels. Not a whole lot happened and I don't know if you can even fill an 13 episode season with it. Probably a 2 or 3 part OVA. Without given into spoilers it is about how Jinto tries to return to his home planet of Martin as an Abh noble, even though they have not officially surrender to the Abh Empire yet.

The author love to dwell on technical details so translation would be kinda tough. There's a lot of scientific words used in the novels.
Old 2010-02-03, 05:08   Link #6
Kunagisa

... reviving this super old and dead thread ...

anyone know if the author's still writing the novels? Or is the series complete?
Old 2010-02-03, 13:40   Link #7
lixuelai

There has been another one out since that post from 2004 so it is still going. I happen to have it but only read 20 pages or so as my Japanese reading is a bit too slow. There are a number of summaries out though but it is more on Lafiel's brother than anything else.

Anyway supposedly this series has awhile to go yet assuming the author does not drop it. It was originally intended to go all the way till Lafiel become the Empress.
Old 2010-02-03, 22:52   Link #8
durack

I assume that TokyoPop will not be translating any more novels - were the sales of the first three really bad?
Old 2010-02-04, 13:34   Link #9
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
I assume that TokyoPop will not be translating any more novels - were the sales of the first three really bad?
Really? hmmmmm.... why does that make me so happy....??!...
Old 2010-02-04, 18:15   Link #10
lightbringer
M9000

Dunno about sales, but I've read the first two novels (haven't gotten around to finishing the third yet) and the English version is really good - for a light novel. It's not gonna win any Nebula awards, but I'd read more if Tokyopop would bring the rest (that is, Banner of the Stars) over. Doesn't seem like it'll happen though.
Old 2013-01-22, 04:37   Link #11
konart

I wasn't sure if I should create a new thread for this, or use one of the existing ones, but anyway:

Quote:
Hayakawa Publishing editor-in-chief Yoshihiro Shiozawa posted on Twitter that a new Banner of the Stars (Seikai no Senki) novel volume is scheduled for release in late March. The novel is titled Seikai no Senki Ⅴ: Shukumei no Shirabe (Banner of the Stars V: The Fateful Inquiry).

This will be the first new Banner of the Stars novel volume by Hiroyuki Morioka in eight years. Morioka published Banner of the Stars IV in 2004. However, he published two Fragments of the Stars (Seikai no Danshō) short story collections related to Banner of the Stars and the earlier Crest of the Stars series in 2005 and 2007.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...8-years-slated

It seems '13 is a year of comebacks.
Old 2013-01-22, 08:35   Link #12
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Nice. BTW, there's also a new manga adaptation of this series that began last September.

Here's the official site.
Old 2013-01-22, 09:03   Link #13
Arczyx
None. ない. Nihil.

Finally a new one. I was scared that he would not continue it again.

By the way, this is not the last volume right?
Old 2013-01-22, 09:26   Link #14
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arczyx View Post

At least there is no statement it is.
Old 2013-01-22, 09:31   Link #15
azziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arczyx View Post

the same,though abh are too overpowered,and humanity too lame-their defeat doesn't make any doubt,if it ever has-to be able to get interested in this "war".
i doubt the author will be able able to rekindle our interest in it;but i'm glad i'll have news of the Lafiel&jinto couple,after so long.
Old 2013-01-22, 15:27   Link #16
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Anyone has a summary of where the story is at?
Old 2013-01-22, 22:10   Link #17
OpenDoors

Hopefully an English translation will soon follow (long shot, but one can always hope..), really want to read what happens after the 4th book since it ended with a cliff hanger.
Old 2013-01-23, 00:01   Link #18
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
I wasn't sure if I should create a new thread for this, or use one of the existing ones, but anyway:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...8-years-slated

It seems '13 is a year of comebacks.
OHHH MYY GOODDD

I thought it would never happen...
Old 2013-01-23, 01:40   Link #19
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Anyone has a summary of where the story is at?
yeah same the only thing i know of is the anime, did the novel go past the anime?
Old 2013-01-23, 03:25   Link #20
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
yeah same the only thing i know of is the anime, did the novel go past the anime?
The anime is covering 1-3rd books, if I'm not mistaken, so the one left out is the 4th book

Tags
sci-fi, space opera