AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 95 68.84%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 18.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 3.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.45%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 2.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.72%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-08-09, 17:36   Link #201
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Triple R, you have no idea how much you are driving me insane right now. Is there any way to convince you to watch the first season of Railgun from episodes 4 to 14? (Feel free to skip episode 13)
Triple R said Railgun S was interesting enough to want to read the manga. And by reading the manga there is no need to watch the first half of Railgun season 1. As it does the same as the manga but changed a few things here and there that kinda mess with the main story chronology.
Old 2013-08-09, 17:53   Link #202
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The subject was about Misaki so he was likely talking about future manga content. Or I could convince him to watch the anime and skip the manga counterpart, since he's more partial to anime. And from what I've heard, Saten gets considerably more focus in the anime than the manga counterpart during the Level upper arc, which is what I'm getting at.

And I still don't understand this whole stuff about Railgun supposedly messing up the chronology.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 18:27   Link #203
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Triple R, you have no idea how much you are driving me insane right now. Is there any way to convince you to watch the first season of Railgun from episodes 4 to 14? (Feel free to skip episode 13)
I know that jumping straight into Railgun S without watching much Railgun is pretty insane, but Pocari_Sweat's recommendation was persuasive, and I figured somebody might as well justify this subforum's approach to spoilers from Raildex anime that aired years ago.

Anyway, I just watched Episode 4 of the original Railgun. It made me feel very badly for Touma, but some of it was funny. I'll probably keep watching.
Old 2013-08-09, 19:31   Link #204
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Actually it's not really insane. I think it's fairly easy to jump into Railgun S without watching the first season and make the jist of why Mikoto's friends are there. It's just I'm a huge Saten fan so it kinda irks me that her story gets ignored because of Kuroko.
Old 2013-08-09, 19:40   Link #205
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Actually it's not really insane. I think it's fairly easy to jump into Railgun S without watching the first season and make the jist of why Mikoto's friends are there. It's just I'm a huge Saten fan so it kinda irks me that her story gets ignored because of Kuroko.
Oh, I see. That makes sense. Well, I just finished Episode 5 of the original Railgun, and I liked it, so I'll probably get to see Saten's story. I have to say, this show is strangely addictive.
Old 2013-08-09, 20:03   Link #206
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
And I still don't understand this whole stuff about Railgun supposedly messing up the chronology.
The Railgun anime removed the first bridge scene with Touma and Mikoto, had Kongou in the city before she moved there (even saving Misaka at one point which really messes with canon), and generally got a lot of small details wrong.
Old 2013-08-09, 21:06   Link #207
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
The Railgun anime removed the first bridge scene with Touma and Mikoto, had Kongou in the city before she moved there (even saving Misaka at one point which really messes with canon), and generally got a lot of small details wrong.
That's why I think reading the whole manga is worth it rather than skipping animated scenes. Although my recommendation about skipping the first season was because Triple_R dropped first one so wasn't sure whether watching it was a likely option.
Old 2013-08-10, 06:35   Link #208
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
To be honest, those just sound to me like minor and insignificant differences to the manga than actual issues.
Old 2013-08-10, 08:52   Link #209
Ilidsor
Angelerator

^Most of them don't make any difference to the manga sure, it's Index they cause problems with.

The Kongou one is the only one that causes problems with the manga. Kongou saves Misaka's life at one point, but in the everything but the anime Kongou isn't even in the city when that happens. So therefore... who saved Misaka's life?
Old 2013-08-10, 09:39   Link #210
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
^Most of them don't make any difference to the manga sure, it's Index they cause problems with.
How so? Just because the first bridge scene was removed? Can't we just assumed it happened off screen?

Quote:
The Kongou one is the only one that causes problems with the manga. Kongou saves Misaka's life at one point, but in the everything but the anime Kongou isn't even in the city when that happens. So therefore... who saved Misaka's life?
Kongou did.

Like I said, it sounds more like a simple difference to the manga than an actual issue. And if that's the case, I don't see what's wrong with considering the anime events the actual canon over the manga.

Last edited by Haak; 2013-08-10 at 10:43.
Old 2013-08-10, 09:51   Link #211
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Kongou Mitsuko.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 10:43   Link #212
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I wasn't confused about who he was talking about.

I'll edit my post.
Old 2013-08-10, 11:02   Link #213
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
How so? Just because the first bridge scene was removed? Can't we just assumed it happened off screen?
When I say removed I meant replaced. They had all the scenes leading up to it and then instead of having it happen they threw in a random fight scene with some girl.

Quote:
Kongou did.
Despite not being in the city at the time?

Quote:
Like I said, it sounds more like a simple difference to the manga than an actual issue. And if that's the case, I don't see what's wrong with considering the anime events the actual canon over the manga.
Because the manga is written by the author of the Index LNs. That would be like considering the Percy Jackson movie canon over the books. The anime messed up making some of it's events not canon, not making some of the manga's events not canon.
Old 2013-08-10, 12:30   Link #214
chaosprophet

Quote:
Because the manga is written by the author of the Index LNs. That would be like considering the Percy Jackson movie canon over the books. The anime messed up making some of it's events not canon, not making some of the manga's events not canon.
Although one can consider the anime with it's differences as a different version / slight AU of the universe, and in that case you can consider it to be it's own canon.

But the problem with doing it for Index/Railgun is that while the animes have some differences with source and some original content they're still following the source instead of going full original and/or making an original end.

This does mean that anything they add/cut/change can result in later having to add/cut/change more things to fit future arcs without contradict what the anime showed before.
Old 2013-08-10, 12:41   Link #215
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
When I say removed I meant replaced. They had all the scenes leading up to it and then instead of having it happen they threw in a random fight scene with some girl.
So we can assume it happened offscreen then..

Quote:
Despite not being in the city at the time?
No she was very clearly in the city. You're assuming Kongou's presence has to follow manga llogic but not the fact that Kongou saved Misaka which is incredibly strange. You're making contradictions for yourself.

Quote:
The Poltergiest arc was also supposedly written by Kamachi so it sounds more like a retcon.
Old 2013-08-10, 16:03   Link #216
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
So we can assume it happened offscreen then..

No she was very clearly in the city. You're assuming Kongou's presence has to follow manga llogic but not the fact that Kongou saved Misaka which is incredibly strange. You're making contradictions for yourself.

The Poltergiest arc was also supposedly written by Kamachi so it sounds more like a retcon.
Is the anime staff the one who handles the material, if we take a look at the way how plot lines and characters are being handled/portrayed its quite obvious the differences.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 12:03   Link #217
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm not doubting there's differences. What I'm doubting is the assumed intentions behind them. If people want to think the manga is more canon over the anime then that's a legitimate opinion with legitimate reasons to believe so. But honestly, in the grander scheme of things, I don't really know why the contradictions of chronology for such a minor character is all that important anyway.
Old 2013-11-21, 16:33   Link #218
Akka

Funny how everyone is gushing about how this episode is awesome, when it's actually the first one in this season that I found really unenjoyable.

Though well, I have a soft spot for Railgun while considering Index one of the worst anime I ever saw, so maybe it's rather easy to pinpoint it to Touma himself - or rather, to his REAL power, which is his retardation-inducing forcefield which make everything in his vicinity completely cretinous.

Okay, the entire scenario "if some level 0 guy punch Accelerator, then people will think Accelerator is very weak instead of thinking that the level 0 guy may actually have some very fishy unknown power" is completely (well beyond) retarded to begin with. But at least this time, the emphasis was put previously on how it could mess with the calculations, so I can close my eyes and pretend it was the idea all along (despite Touma clearly meaning the former and not the latter).

But more than that, the whole guilt-trip ("someone tricked me when I was 5-years old, so I'm responsible for 10 000 deaths I had nothing to do with and actively tried to prevent") is pretty idiotic too. Touma weird attempts at barring the way instead of trying to use actual worthy argument to convince Misaka only pile up on the idiocy, and make for a completely random serie of actions that are completely disjointed.
Hard to let the mood get to you when you slam your head against the wall because everything happening makes absolutely no sense and feels put there only to make some weird artificial drama.

To sum up, this episode COULD have been extremely emotional, but the nonsensical idiocy of it all just prevented it for being enjoyable in any way. The best I can say about it, is that at least Touma wasn't as insufferably arrogant and short-sighted as usual. But I'm very afraid he'll catch up to THIS in the next episode...

Last edited by Akka; 2013-11-21 at 19:47.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sexism