AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-21, 14:06   Link #1
EmperorGothon

Want to get into reading more manga

Hi guys. I'm fairly new to manga/anime. Been on and off with it over the years, but want to get into it a lot more.

Currently I'm reading Full Metal Alchemist (great manga by the way), but as I say like to read more. Can anyone recommend a good manga for me to check out? I'm pretty varied in my tastes - but my first choice would be for fantasy/sci fi, prefably with not too much fanservice if possible (not that I have anything against fanservice, I just don't like these manga that shove it in your face. lol). Also, I prefer my stories to have a bit of a sense of humour, but I'm all for the overly dramatic.

Thanks guys. Hope to hear from some of you soon! Sorry if my knowledge of manga is a little limited. As I say I've been on and off with it over the years but would like to get into it a bit more.
Old 2011-02-21, 14:29   Link #2
Kagayaki

Two of my favorites are Hoshi no Samidare and Battle Angel Alita
Old 2011-02-21, 15:52   Link #3
signorRossi

Since your tastes are varied and I don't like too much fan-service either, these are the mangas I am reading or have read and like/d a lot:

Vinland Saga, ongoing. Eh..., it's about..., Vikings?
Blade of the Immortal, ongoing and many volumes. Samura really can draw.
Planetes, complete. Ever wanted to know about the importance of pron for space exploration? Don't worry, it's seinen, not hentai.
Takemitsu Zamurai, complete. My current favourite, I love everything about it. Serious about that.
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, complete. Before you can call anything else 'epic' you have to read this first to really get the meaning of the word 'epic'.

That's it for now. If you like those recommendations I can give you more later.
Old 2011-02-21, 16:36   Link #4
EmperorGothon

Thanks for those. I have actually heard of Battle Angel Alita. I think I may have read something of it in the past. But I'll definately check it out.

Funnily enough, I am actually interested in Norse Mythology so maybe I'll check out that Vinland Saga. At least it's enough to get me started.
Old 2011-02-23, 01:30   Link #5
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorGothon View Post
Hi guys. I'm fairly new to manga/anime. Been on and off with it over the years, but want to get into it a lot more.

Currently I'm reading Full Metal Alchemist (great manga by the way), but as I say like to read more. Can anyone recommend a good manga for me to check out? I'm pretty varied in my tastes - but my first choice would be for fantasy/sci fi, prefably with not too much fanservice if possible (not that I have anything against fanservice, I just don't like these manga that shove it in your face. lol). Also, I prefer my stories to have a bit of a sense of humour, but I'm all for the overly dramatic.

Thanks guys. Hope to hear from some of you soon! Sorry if my knowledge of manga is a little limited. As I say I've been on and off with it over the years but would like to get into it a bit more.
Beelzebub would be a good suggestion for you.
Old 2011-02-23, 01:51   Link #6
jedinat

Battle Angel Alita is only acceptable if you go right into the sequel series and pretend the original ending does not exist.

I will give you a few of the very best manga TC:

Angel Densetsu
Gokusen
Kanata Kara
Kiseijuu
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Old 2011-02-24, 11:32   Link #7
ReAcrylicMetal

Second Beelzebub

Dorohedoro is my personal favorite. Its a very good, very long scifi. Theres a few characters later on that are hilarious and are seen quite a bit, but most of the time its pretty serious.

Psyren- post apocalyptic manga with wicked awesome powers

Deadman Wonderland-more serious, very little comedy if any at all

Franken fran-has some fan service and is classified more as horror/scifi but still very worth reading (has lots of experimenting with humans)

Defense Devil-also has a bit of fanservice, is about a demon that tries to prove people in hell as innocent to get his powers back, results in a lot of fighting other demons

Guardian Dog- read this awhile ago but i remember it was very good and became one of my favorites

Ao No Exorcist-about the main character who is the son of satan but joins a worldwide group of exorcist to try and kill his father

Getbackers-very funny, lots of action. It has an anime adaptation, but the manga is much better.
Old 2011-02-24, 12:19   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorGothon View Post

It's not SF/Fantasy, but if you haven't read it, I can't recommend Rurouni Kenshin highly enough. There's a reason it's one of the most popular manga ever in Japan, the US and Europe. Terrific characters, some nice pseudo-history, overall great action/adventure. It's one of the greatest shounen manga of all-time.
Old 2011-02-24, 14:30   Link #9
EmperorGothon

Smile

Recently someone recommended me a fantasy manga series but I can't remember what it's called. Beserk? Gutz? Something like that? Can anyone shed light on that for me as it sounded pretty cool from what he told me of it.
Old 2011-02-24, 16:52   Link #10
Lou0wnZ

Berserk?Gantz?

lol.
Old 2011-02-24, 16:56   Link #11
EmperorGothon

Er, yeah. I guess I just answered my own question there. Gutz was the name of the main character. What a wally I am. lol

I have actually read Gantz. Tbh, I didn't like that much. Dunno why, just didn't appeal to me for some reason.