AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-09-24, 11:16   Link #1
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

How to start blogging?

Hi. I for the first time in my life, want to start a blog. The problem is i have absolute ZERO knowledge about blog overall, in fact, i may even does not know the word "blog" itself.

I tried google on "how to start a blog", or get on youtube to see basic guide. But the problem is when you know nothing about something, it really hard to understand the concept without paying $20 to random guy for his "Blogging for dummies" book. Things like: Which blog should i use? Do i have to download and upload a blog from my computer or it will save everything in the web like email? Do i have to pay (or should i better pay)? Can i update the blog from any computers (when i'm at school or work for examples)? Can everyone access my blog? Can my computer somehow get hacked through a blog?...etc.... So many basic questions i want to ask

Basically i just want something that:
  • free, as long as the ad is appropriate
  • can use to store and publish posts and graphs/tables/pictures, and be updated every week at least
  • i can post its link to forums or through twitter (which i also have to learn how to use) to get people to read it
  • can stay total anonymous, and best if i don't have to download and install anything
  • if possible: receive feedback from readers

So hopefully people can fill me in, and maybe others can also learns from this thread

PS: I planned to ask this on the "silly question" thread, but i think it gonna be too long and complicated in there. I also searched the forum and found a 6 years old thread that, back then, including social networking on, which is not entirely what i want to discuss on
Old 2012-09-24, 13:46   Link #2
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I've never made a blog myself, but I've seen a lot of good blogs on wordpress
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 13:50   Link #3
james0246

You could try a tumblr page first. It is microblogging at its finest and it is free.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 16:06   Link #4
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Tumblr is definitely good. Might say it's better for people who have a reputation and are using it to update...say, a show or something, but it'll suit your needs for sure.

If you're wanting a very simple (post-for-fun-only) blog that can be edited very quickly, Blogger is a good place to start.

For a free blog that uses more elaborate features and templates, definitely go with Wordpress.com. A blog here can even be upgraded to add more bandwidth space, domain names, etc.

If you're wanting to move on to your own website that you have full control over, go with Wordpress.org. This is for the advanced users who (recommended) know CSS/XHTML, know how to run their own domain and have the funding to maintain it.

I've been running on Wordpress.com with a paid domain name for a while now, so feel free to go with what you're comfortable with. Good luck!
Old 2012-09-25, 01:04   Link #5
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

There's still a few crucial question that i want to ask. First is, do i need to download and store anything in my computer? I means is blog like facebook/email where you can access and update anytime, or is it like online games where you have to download a client and run on your computer (only)?

I basically want to make a statistics analysing blog, something i can update weekly, and hopefully can get people interest in. Probably don't need a lot of bandwidth as i only upload a few pictures a week, max.

On easy to use, i will wish it to be as close as Word, or at least animesuki features (if i can insert graph or table, it will be a bonus). And hopefully can store pictures on that blog, rather than linking it through imageshack or photobucket
Old 2012-09-25, 02:18   Link #6
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

With Wordpress you might have to download something, it seem they changed some stuff. However, you can log in on all the sites for all of them everywhere. As for storing images, I'm not sure. That might differ.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 03:09   Link #7
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
There's still a few crucial question that i want to ask. First is, do i need to download and store anything in my computer? I means is blog like facebook/email where you can access and update anytime, or is it like online games where you have to download a client and run on your computer (only)?

I basically want to make a statistics analysing blog, something i can update weekly, and hopefully can get people interest in. Probably don't need a lot of bandwidth as i only upload a few pictures a week, max.

On easy to use, i will wish it to be as close as Word, or at least animesuki features (if i can insert graph or table, it will be a bonus). And hopefully can store pictures on that blog, rather than linking it through imageshack or photobucket
As mentioned, if you want something very simple, go with Blogger. You won't have as nice of a layout though.

Wordpress.com does well if you're looking for a more organized layout, and there's no downloading. Wordpress.org would have you download and update through an external uploader.

I'd probably recommend Wordpress.com for the long run. Blogger's become an even bigger pain because you have to go through Google's absurd new layout to get to it. You may have noticed a similar pain with using YouTube, if you've made a recent account.
Old 2012-09-25, 03:19   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I'd been using a lot of the Google tools for several years and its like they've had a tool UI spasm. Getting to my dashboard has become quite annoying. I may check out wordpress as well.
Old 2012-09-25, 03:31   Link #9
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, I'd been using a lot of the Google tools for several years and its like they've had a tool UI spasm. Getting to my dashboard has become quite annoying. I may check out wordpress as well.
As a former Blogger user, I can say that Wordpress is much preferred; we've run a good year and a bit now with a proper domain and all. Be sure not to mix up Wordpress.com (free, hosted through WP) and Wordpress.org (hosted through personal domain, advanced stuff). I sure had a fun time working it out when I started. :3
Old 2012-09-25, 03:40   Link #10
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Mixing those up was exactly what I did when I posted. I then also highly recommend Wordpress.com because I find it probably the best out of them all and their statistics and control are very nice.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 04:37   Link #11
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

How's safe my identity will be? I means can any evil organisation track me down?
Old 2012-09-25, 04:46   Link #12
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

I just went with blogger for mine nice and simple.

Though i dont review every single anime ep like some bloggers(too much work) i just mainly post things i like and put some links in to other sites like summaries for novels so that they are easier too find(trying not to steal credit for others plps hard work). googling everything is such a pain
Old 2012-09-25, 14:17   Link #13
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
How's safe my identity will be? I means can any evil organisation track me down?
Not entirely sure what you mean by this, do you wish to write under an alias or are you worried about stuff like copyright?

Most people don't seem to bother with copyright on small blogs (unless they're illegally profiting from it), so that's not a problem.

On our blog we have an about page where I've got my name up, but my writing name remains "papermario".
Old 2012-09-25, 15:33   Link #14
Metaler

Quote:
You're fine, I think. Just make sure you don't connect your blog with your Facebook account. That shit follows you everywhere.
Metaler is offline   Reply With Quote