AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-18, 11:58   Link #481
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Well that will go right with the tradition that any person with a foreign accent can play any foreign nationality. I don't see why a British voice actor couldn't do the voice for Saber.

Also I did mention this only because they make the mistake to explain how is that the Servants speak Japanese, so if they were not in the future they should have speak their own language. If you don't want these problems then just don't mention the language.
Old 2013-07-18, 12:06   Link #482
chaos_alfa

I can't remember if they talked Japanese in Saber's flashbacks in the visual novel or if it was just an anime only thing. Can someone clarify this?
Old 2013-07-18, 14:13   Link #483
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Sansker, it's bad enough you pulled this kind of crap in the Nanoha forum, but you have to do it here as well?

Seriously, it's for the sake of convenience; the primary audience and demographic for Fate/stay night ARE THE JAPANESE. They're not going to hire someone British just for a few inconsequential scenes that the Japanese wouldn't be able to understand, seeing how it wouldn't be in, y'know, JAPANESE.
Old 2013-07-18, 14:26   Link #484
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Seriously, it's for the sake of convenience; the primary audience and demographic for Fate/stay night ARE THE JAPANESE. They're not going to hire someone British just for a few inconsequential scenes that the Japanese wouldn't be able to understand, seeing how it wouldn't be in, y'know, JAPANESE.
To back this up, even Detective Conan, which routinely has FBI and CIA cast members (and had a few episodes based in New York and London), still uses Japanese voice actors for those roles who pronounce/annunciate the language so poorly that the word "woman" ends up sounding like the Japanese word for "horse". The best English speaker is actually the guy from Osaka who speaks with a dialect in Japanese (fans actually thought he was switched with an American sound-alike when he first spoke in English).
Old 2013-07-18, 15:34   Link #485
anime fan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
To back this up, even Detective Conan, which routinely has FBI and CIA cast members (and had a few episodes based in New York and London), still uses Japanese voice actors for those roles who pronounce/annunciate the language so poorly that the word "woman" ends up sounding like the Japanese word for "horse". The best English speaker is actually the guy from Osaka who speaks with a dialect in Japanese (fans actually thought he was switched with an American sound-alike when he first spoke in English).

You are talking about Heiji Hattori
Old 2013-07-18, 16:49   Link #486
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
Also I did mention this only because they make the mistake to explain how is that the Servants speak Japanese, so if they were not in the future they should have speak their own language. If you don't want these problems then just don't mention the language.
The difference is that them speaking Japanese to people who speak their native language can just be assumed to be a translation. Them speaking Japanese to a native Japanese speaker means they much actually know the language. Without that explanation it's a plot hole.
Old 2013-07-18, 17:00   Link #487
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime fan99 View Post
You are talking about Heiji Hattori
Yes. Yes I am. His English is ridiculously amazing.
Old 2013-07-19, 22:10   Link #488
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

I’m just saying, when you try too hard to explain things and then don’t follow up with that to the last consequence then why bother with the explanations in the first case? I am saying is inconsistence with the story that tries to make a good over some facts. When you look deep enough there is no explanation. Like Rising Dragon says is for the sake of convenience.
Old 2013-07-20, 14:37   Link #489
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
I’m just saying, when you try too hard to explain things and then don’t follow up with that to the last consequence then why bother with the explanations in the first case? I am saying is inconsistence with the story that tries to make a good over some facts. When you look deep enough there is no explanation. Like Rising Dragon says is for the sake of convenience.
Because they are two different things. Explaining why Saber can talk Japanese to Shirou is a plot issue, explaining why Saber speaks Japanese to another ancient Briton is a presentational issue.

Your argument is essentially the same as arguing that all fanfics should have dialogue in Japanese since that's what the original characters would speak, and that dubs of films, TV shows etc. shouldn't be allowed (at least when the location is known). Saber is speaking Brythonic or Latin in that scene, it's just dubbed into Japanese for the benefit of the viewers.
Closed Thread