AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-14, 11:26   Link #581
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuken View Post
It would be helpful to the guys who are interested in that particular topic.
Cyclone has a point though; It would be helpful to have a "misc" thread for all the stuff like interviews, that can't be put into another thread, but would also be very nice to see. These are the kinds of things that are unlikely to get translated or posted anywhere else .
Old 2010-07-15, 01:19   Link #582
Ryuken
Claymore #01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
Cyclone has a point though; It would be helpful to have a "misc" thread for all the stuff like interviews, that can't be put into another thread, but would also be very nice to see. These are the kinds of things that are unlikely to get translated or posted anywhere else .
Yes, indeed, I do agree with you there.
Old 2010-07-15, 01:39   Link #583
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Thread has been created. Enjoy.
Old 2010-07-15, 01:57   Link #584
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post

Praise The Goddess Teresa! (and Solace and Cyclone... )
Old 2010-07-15, 02:57   Link #585
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Thank you, Solace!
Old 2010-07-15, 05:36   Link #586
Ryuken
Claymore #01

Quote:
We would, you can be sure of that.
Old 2010-07-15, 09:41   Link #587
haegar
mangaviking

thx @ solace, looking forward to whatever will find it's way in there
Old 2010-07-15, 13:01   Link #588
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Alright alright! Thank you very much! ^_^
Old 2010-08-07, 09:32   Link #589
przemoc

I would like to suggest creating two new threads in the forum.
  • Claymore Glossary
    Informative thread with basic definitions/explanation of common terms used in manga and anime along with its widely used abbreviations/acronyms coined by the readers. It should be constantly updated as the manga goes on and reveals new pieces of information. Adding widely accepted readers' theories (obviously appropriately marked) about things not explained by Yagi would be possibly useful too.

Example (I am not sure whether everything below is correct, it's just an example of how I would like to see it):
    Quote:
    Abyss feeder, Abyss eater [深淵喰い, shin'en gui] - AF
    Half-human, half-awakened beings created by the organization out of the corpses of the awakened beings that attacked the headquarter of the organization after the battle for the North.

Abyssal One [深淵の者, shin'en no mono, lit. "Person of the Abyss"] - AO
    Name of some very strong beings, awakened forms of the #1 or #2 claymore that ruled in areas of the continent. They were Luciela, Isley and Riful and they were attached to southern, northern and western lands accordingly.

Awakened Being, Awakened One [覚醒者, kakusei mono] - AB
    A form of a yoma that claymore takes after releasing more than 80% of its youki.

Claymore [クレイモア, kureimoa]
    Large sword used by half-human, half-yoma (usually - there are exceptions, e.g. Clare) organization's warriors protecting humans from the yoma. humans are also referring to these warriors using this term, but it is not used that way among them.

Ghost

Half Awakened [半覚醒, han kakusei] - HA

Quick Sword, Flash Sword [高速剣, kousokuken] - QS

Windcutter [風斬り, kazekiri] - WC

Yoma [妖魔, youma]

Youki [妖気, youki]
  • Swordsmanship - sword fighting techniques used by claymores
    Discussion thread about techniques such as Ilena's Quick Sword, Flora's Windcutter, taking into the account also its users, level of perfection in using them they acquired and possibly their influence to these techniques. It should start with detailed background information that would be foundation of discussions such as Ilena's QS vs Clare's QS, Clare's QS and WC evolution, and so on...

Example of background information:
    Quote:
    Ilena teaching Clare QS
    Chapter 37
    Ilena to Clare: I'll teach you the way of the Quick Sword.
    Ilena: The essence of Quick Sword is to release all your yoma energy into just one arm. In a way, it's like just one arm alone awakens. In short, Quick Sword... is a technique where one arm goes berserk with full yoma power, and the rest of the body strives with all its might to contol it. To do that requires the full concentration of your will. And the spiritual strength to stop the yoma energy from leaving the arm.
    Clare: To use this evil technique without you face changing color a bit... you must be a monster.
    Chapter 38
    Clare to Ilena: Tell me... How close is my Quick Sword technique to yours?
    Ilena to Clare: What the Quick Sword needs above all else is a strong spirit. So the most important thing is to stay calm. I think you've advanced far towards that end. That's why I taught you the technique. But still... you already appear calm on the surface, but you real heart is a whirpool of passion. A person like you isn't suited to the Quick Sword. As soon as you start, the yoma energy in your arm will pull the rest of your spirit along. That means you can't continue far more than one minute. At best, your speed and power are less than 1/10 of mine. It takes time for you to gather the spiritual concentration, and you have no leeway to extend your endurance. That means you'll never really be able to use the Quick Sword technique. Well, you've done the best you can. I give you that much credit.
    Ilena to Clare after cutting off her own arm: If you use that arm, even if your endurance doesn't change, both your speed and power will be half of mine, and you'll be able to use Quick Sword. You can't do without it.

Clare's QS vs Flora's WC during the battle for the North
    Chapter 54
    Comment of the claymore watching Clare and Flora cutting down AB: [Clare's QS] Her technique's as good as Flora's Windcutter... No hers has a finer cut...
    Chapter 55
    Flora to Clare: Your high-speed sword and my windcutter... The instantaneous speed, and the limitless strikes that are born from them... Our styles are almost the same. What I want to know is... your style and my style... which one is superior?
    Clare: Unfortunately, I can't control it [QS] precisely.
    Flora: At any given time I only use as much power as is needed to win.
    Flora before starting the test fight with Clare: This time... both of us, full power...
    Flora after the test fight: [Clare] You've got the speed. I've got the power and accuracy. That means we're about equal in strength.
    Clare: If we're equal in strength... I think the one with more accuracy should be the superior.

Last edited by przemoc; 2010-08-07 at 09:33. Reason: Forgotten word - be
Old 2010-08-10, 01:14   Link #590
Gooral
Banned

I would second Claymore glossary thread, also it's not the first time someone asked about it. The second thread could also be interesting, besides WC and QS we have RS (Ophelia's rippling sword) and Audrey's gentle sword or whatever it was called.
Old 2010-08-10, 07:59   Link #591
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

I don't know....doesn't that seem like stuff that should just be added to the Misc thread?
Old 2010-08-10, 08:43   Link #592
Joe_fh

The first thread would be helpful to new members. About the second -I have my doubts. Basic descroptions would be fine but anything more and we'll start arguing about the powers of the attacks and such. That imo would be interesting since it will make some things more clear especially with more than 2-3 points of view but I'm not sure if others have the same definition of fun as me
Old 2010-08-10, 09:07   Link #593
Gooral
Banned

IMO worst case scenario the topic will stay dead and then it can be deleted or whatever. I'm sure it would be an interesting discussion to read and take part in.
Shieky, you're maybe right but on the other hand we could also manage with only this thread (I remember when we used to discuss each chapter there). Although having 5000 pages in one thread isn't too convenient.
Old 2010-08-10, 09:12   Link #594
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
IMO worst case scenario the topic will stay dead and then it can be deleted or whatever. I'm sure it would be an interesting discussion to read and take part in.
Shieky, you're maybe right but on the other hand we could also manage with only this thread (I remember when we used to discuss each chapter there). Although having 5000 pages in one thread isn't too convenient.
Meh, you make a good arguement

I guess it depends on the subject matter; their's no need for every single little subject, to have it's own thread. Depends on how big and broad the subject is, I supposed.

Wow, I wasn't even aware of that thread :O
Old 2010-08-10, 09:48   Link #595
haegar
mangaviking

while a complete glossary on the one hand would be helpful to people new to clay, it migh likewise spoiler them on stuff coming up later I guess?
Old 2010-08-10, 11:29   Link #596
Gooral
Banned

Good point. Then it would have to look like this:
AF
Spoiler for AF definition:

On the other hand if someone wanted to take part in recent discussions he would have to know newest chapters anyway. And we don't use these abbreviations that long (and many definitions aren't spoiling at all, QS, WC, AB), etc..
Old 2010-08-10, 11:31   Link #597
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by haegar View Post
while a complete glossary on the one hand would be helpful to people new to clay, it migh likewise spoiler them on stuff coming up later I guess?
We could set it up like this instead...

Quote:
  • AE: See AF
  • AF: Abyss feeder, Abyss eater [深淵喰い, shin'en gui]
    Spoiler for More info:

• ZACS:See AF
Now while I do like this idea... I have to say it will a B**** to maintain and set up. Since just how will we keep it alphabetized every time someone adds a new term or new term need to get added (since only the original poster can modify it, meaning this thread will need a care taker)... like, lets say, when the trump card gets revealed or when someone wants to add/debate which term is better (Half Awakened vs Partially Awakened, and what means what (example limb/body awakening but mind stays human vs a Claymore whom passes their yoki limit and reverts back without scumming to the awakening)) or maybe when we finally get an official name for the hellcats

If this thread isn't organized it won't help those it was meant to help in the first place. Though I love the idea of this thread.

The best solution I can come up with is actually making this two threads. One which only a MOD can post on and a second where we submit entries for it. This way the glossery thread will be clear of clutter and organized. Plus we can still debate how to have the entry posted and worded to no end. This way we do 99.5% of the work and MOD just needs to copy paste it in the right spot in the glossary alphabetically (or divide the list into two posts once it inevitably gets too long for a single post) for ease of reference once we have bickered about it of a week.

Last edited by Ryus; 2010-08-10 at 11:46.
Old 2010-08-10, 11:54   Link #598
Ryuken
Claymore #01

I guess we have to see what the MODs have to say about this particular discussion.
Old 2010-08-10, 15:10   Link #599
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Interesting ideas, but this is a huge request that will take some time to think about.
Old 2010-08-10, 16:54   Link #600
przemoc

Quote:
I would second Claymore glossary thread, also it's not the first time someone asked about it. The second thread could also be interesting, besides WC and QS we have RS (Ophelia's rippling sword) and Audrey's gentle sword or whatever it was called.
Sure, WC and QS are not the only sword-related techniques. I mentioned them only as examples - these are also the most often discussed sword attacks. E.g. Rachel (this man looking claymore, don't sure what was her name) has her "taut" sword attack, but it isn't impressive at all... Ophelia's rippling sword is more interesting though. Jean's one is also nice and very powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
The first thread would be helpful to new members. About the second -I have my doubts. Basic descroptions would be fine but anything more and we'll start arguing about the powers of the attacks and such. That imo would be interesting since it will make some things more clear especially with more than 2-3 points of view but I'm not sure if others have the same definition of fun as me
It is meant to be discussion thread, so it counts arguing too. Detailed background information here is required for proper discussion, yet we don't have a lot of information about techniques in their recent form (as used by Clare), so there are a lot of possibilities - basis of a lot to discuss and have fun indeed.

Quote:
WC vs QS topic alone was already brought up many times, even recently, which is rather off-topic in discussion about chapters in which these techniques aren't even used.
Eventually this can be thread about all claymore fighting techniques, not only involving the sword. Then such thread will be more acceptable to create, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haegar View Post
I bet that a lot of users come here after watching whole anime and reading up-to-date manga chapters, i.e. like I did. So they know many things, but often there is an urge to straighten up own knowledge, fill memory holes, etc. I am pretty sure that glossary would be valuable not only for newcomers.

Quote:
Good point. Then it would have to look like this:
AF
Spoiler for AF definition:

On the other hand if someone wanted to take part in recent discussions he would have to know newest chapters anyway. And we don't use these abbreviations that long (and many definitions aren't spoiling at all, QS, WC, AB), etc..
I also thought about spoiler tags. It is a good solution. But IMHO there is no need to hide name of the described object and some basic description should be always available w/o additional clicks - spoilers could be added e.g. for deeper elaboration exploiting recent chapters material. And your point is crucial, thus I am against overusing spoiler tags in such thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
We could set it up like this instead...

Now while I do like this idea... I have to say it will a B**** to maintain and set up. Since just how will we keep it alphabetized every time someone adds a new term or new term need to get added (since only the original poster can modify it, meaning this thread will need a care taker)... like, lets say, when the trump card gets revealed or when someone wants to add/debate which term is better (Half Awakened vs Partially Awakened, and what means what (example limb/body awakening but mind stays human vs a Claymore whom passes their yoki limit and reverts back without scumming to the awakening)) or maybe when we finally get an official name for the hellcats

If this thread isn't organized it won't help those it was meant to help in the first place. Though I love the idea of this thread.

The best solution I can come up with is actually making this two threads. One which only a MOD can post on and a second where we submit entries for it. This way the glossery thread will be clear of clutter and organized. Plus we can still debate how to have the entry posted and worded to no end. This way we do 99.5% of the work and MOD just needs to copy paste it in the right spot in the glossary alphabetically (or divide the list into two posts once it inevitably gets too long for a single post) for ease of reference once we have bickered about it of a week.
Sure, I said it needs maintenance and regular updates, so almost-OP (if it will be Mod, then 'almost' can be removed ) should be chosen with care and IMO at least sukoshi wakarimasu Japanese - you know what I mean (and that's why I am definitely out here). But I don't see a good reason to divide this into two threads. Only second (or first) post will be real glossary, the following ones can be suggestions and discussion strictly related to described terms and enhancing ideas.

Quote:
Interesting ideas, but this is a huge request that will take some time to think about.
I'm glad there is no immediate veto at least.
Closed Thread