Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-22, 18:23   Link #261
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Fire emblem delayed for another week...

...why do I even bother...?
Because those are the best tactical J-RPG ever created.

Luminous arc is ten years behind and FFTA a hundred. None managed to fuse a good story, epic hissatsu , legendary romance and MOEEEEE.

Sigh, Europe always have good games after. and I need to buy the 3ds too ... rolf .. my wallet...
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 19:19   Link #262
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ I like Fire Emblem a lot .. but I think Langrisser is better..
Old 2013-02-23, 01:31   Link #263
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post

Luminous arc is ten years behind and FFTA a hundred. None managed to fuse a good story, epic hissatsu , legendary romance and MOEEEEE.

Sigh, Europe always have good games after. and I need to buy the 3ds too ... rolf .. my wallet...
FF is one thing, but I'm surprised you mentioned Luminous Arc, a series that not only ended, but barely is known. It's like comparing an ant to a dog.

Quote:
None managed to fuse a good story
Not that good, with one problem being the less-than-necessary arc on that eastern continent.

Quote:
, epic hissatsu
Astra in this game sucks. You remember Radiance games? Now that was cool. Astra in this game doesn't even have a special animation, but Radiance's blades of fury was awesome.
I don't think there is any skill that actually has special animation, just cut-ins.

Quote:
, legendary romance
The awkwardness of marrying one of your battlefield allies' supposed child and having a child with that child. Oh yeah~~

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 01:56   Link #264
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post

Sorry, I'll take FFT(the original one, not the abomination that is the FFTA series) and Tactics Ogre over FE

As much as I enjoyed FE, I have to say for me the story was...serviceable at best.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 04:26   Link #265
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The awkwardness of marrying one of your battlefield allies' supposed child and having a child with that child. Oh yeah~~
And in the process getting the most overpowered characters you can get in the game. Eugenics Ho!
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 04:39   Link #266
Zakoo

Quote:
What? I'm preaching right there and trying to corrupt Chaos, do not reduce my words to ashe or he won't buy it!
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 13:41   Link #267
Shadow5YA

Fire Emblem story has never been very complex or compelling. Basically you have one villain or group of people causing trouble and provoking a war, and some great evil mythical creature (usually a dragon or god/goddess) sealed away that comes back from said villain's efforts and you have to defeat both of them to save the world

There are also plenty of archetypes that are present in every Fire Emblem game, like the protagonist being a Lord or someone that will eventually ascend to royalty starting out with a Rapier, then getting a legendary weapon later in the game to beat the final enemy.
You have an already promoted unit who has low stats for his/her level and functions well in the earlygame to help aggro and tank enemies but is too weak by endgame to use.
You have your Myrmidon/Swordmaster character who is formerly a hired sword for someone else before he joins your party.
You have the underleveled unit who joins late in the game and may have the best stat growths in the game but is too weak compared to the rest of your units to raise in battle.
I could go on with how many archetypes the series likes to repeat.

Quote:
Astra in this game sucks. You remember Radiance games? Now that was cool. Astra in this game doesn't even have a special animation, but Radiance's blades of fury was awesome.
I don't think there is any skill that actually has special animation, just cut-ins.
Ha...

Even with the nerf, Astra is one of the best attacking skills in the game. With each hit able to double attack with Brave weapons or critical hit, you can easily destroy anything.

The only other attack skills that beat it in usefulness is Ignis because Avatar and Morgan can proc it quite often, and Aether because it not only does it deal a lot of damage with 2x hits with one of them having a Luna effect, it also heals that user, which is invaluable at Lunatic or higher.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2013-02-23 at 13:56.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 19:24   Link #268
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Ha...

Even with the nerf, Astra is one of the best attacking skills in the game. With each hit able to double attack with Brave weapons or critical hit, you can easily destroy anything.

The only other attack skills that beat it in usefulness is Ignis because Avatar and Morgan can proc it quite often, and Aether because it not only does it deal a lot of damage with 2x hits with one of them having a Luna effect, it also heals that user, which is invaluable at Lunatic or higher.
I was talking about the animations, not the effects...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 01:14   Link #269
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I'm like, 99.8% positive that each hit of Astra cannot double-strike due to a brave weapon. Not only that, but Astra gets absolutely destroyed by Counter (moreso than other activated skills).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 01:16   Link #270
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Sol > every other attack skill in the game in lunatic. Turns your unit into a pseudo nosferatu Sorcerer, and everyone knows how disgustingly OP that class is. Sure, it having only activating ~50% of the time at best (but at least it's twice as often as Aether), but Vantage helps a lot if they don't one-shot you, since they'll have to get through your current HP + the healing you do in order to defeat the unit if it activates.

If no Vantage but you have high defenses, Sol + Renewal makes for one helluva tanky unit. Add in Lifetaker (with the obligatory Galeforce if you can), and you'd have to be real stupid to have that unit die on you *cough*DonnelFatheredNah*cough*

Or if you have an Avatar mothered Lucina, stack both Sol and Aether with Rightful King to get around ~75% chance of healing with every attack. It's like the next best thing after Sorcerers. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 18:02   Link #271
com_gwp

So I just got Chrom's kid with Sumia, thinking I should instantly reclass but wondering what class progression I should go for.

I've got inherited galeforce and aether, thinking I'll go greatknight/facoknight to get luna and lancefaire before ending on great lord for rightful king, but would that put my internal level too high?

Also wondering if I should go cavalier or pegeknight, thought I guess in the long run either doesn't quite matter.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 19:02   Link #272
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'm like, 99.8% positive that each hit of Astra cannot double-strike due to a brave weapon. Not only that, but Astra gets absolutely destroyed by Counter (moreso than other activated skills).
Why would you use a melee unit on an enemy with Counter to begin with?
Old 2013-03-05, 15:03   Link #273
willx
Nyaaan~~

I think I broke the game. I didn't know what classes produced what skills so I ended up re-classing the "Avatar" character like 3-4 times. Now he kills every single enemy unit in the game including highest level "Bonus Team" units in a single attack..
Old 2013-03-05, 15:38   Link #274
Shadow5YA

Avatar will be strong no matter what you do. The game is pretty easy to break. If you grind even a little bit and use Second Seals, you will already have characters statistically superior to the enemy units in the main game, even on Lunatic. This is especially the case for Avatar, who not only has decent growths by default and is the most versatile with access to every generic class but also gains EXP at a higher rate because of her Tactician-exclusive Veteran skill.

As enjoyable as the game is... it's not a very good strategy game. I think Intelligent Systems went overboard with the fanservice.

The game has references to every past FE game imaginable. Chrom is a descendant of Marth, Tiki is in the game, and he uses Falchion. You can marry characters and have their children fight in battle like in FE4: Geneology of the Holy War. There are grinding areas, post-main game content, and branching promotion classes like in FE8: Sacred Stones. There are weapons named after several FE6: The Sealed Sword and FE7: Blazing Sword characters. There are skills like in Ike's universe in FE9:Path of Radiance and FE10: Radiant Dawn. There are class changing options like in the DS remakes.

However... when you put all those features together... you get one big broken mess. With grinding areas outside of the main story and Second Seals, you have an unlimited EXP and gold pool, which also allows for an infinite supply of otherwise limited powerful weapons, like Brave weapons, Nosferatu, forged weapons, etc. Growths are less relevant because you can cap every single stat with enough Second Seals and grinding. Powerful skills like Sol and Luna that used to be exclusive to one set of classes can now be acquired by many thanks to reclassing with Second Seals. To top it all off, you have the children who get inheritance bonuses from their parents. For example, Gerome could potentially have +7 Str to the normal maximum stat cap for the class he is in.
Of course... that's not to say IS didn't try to balance the game. Nosferatu used to be a tome that recovered full HP for the damage it dealt instead of half like it is now. Both Sol and Luna did triple damage in Radiant Dawn, and Luna used to ignore all enemy defense stats instead of just half. Astra used to be 5 hits for full damage in Radiant Dawn. Lethality used have a Skill/2% proc rate instead of Skill/4% in Awakening.

But again... with the amount of features they put into the game to make it appealing, from having voiceovers and very elaborate support conversations to the above mentioned features and references it gets very easy to abuse even on Lunatic. I don't think I'm supposed to send my Paired Up Avatar into the middle of enemy territory alone and have him/her not only survive Enemy Phase with nearly full HP, but have all enemy units nearby wiped out in the process...
Old 2013-03-05, 16:03   Link #275
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
I think I broke the game. I didn't know what classes produced what skills so I ended up re-classing the "Avatar" character like 3-4 times. Now he kills every single enemy unit in the game including highest level "Bonus Team" units in a single attack..
not just the Avatar, all the children characters i gotten were ALL broken. i made sure
the parents have really good stats and galeforce when possible. i just broke
Lunatic mode with just a few grind here and there with the DLC. all the children
characters i got are all killing everything left to right like they're nothing. and then
with galeforce....all the enemies are laughable now.

although i'm breaking lunatic mode already, i'm still having fun. going to try out
lunatic+ next.
Old 2013-03-06, 00:46   Link #276
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

What is the advantage of fighting side by side in adjacent squares, or should I just pair up my characters immediately?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 00:48   Link #277
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
What is the advantage of fighting side by side in adjacent squares, or should I just pair up my characters immediately?
the advantage is that you can move and attack with each character individually, once paired up you will only get one (albeit more powerful) attack out of two units.
Old 2013-03-06, 00:52   Link #278
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
the advantage is that you can move and attack with each character individually, once paired up you will only get one (albeit more powerful) attack out of two units.
Hmmm... Then when would be a good time to pair up characters? What situation?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 00:54   Link #279
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
pairing up can make the difference between killing an enemy outright or suffering a counter attack, it's also useful for shielding weaker characters as only the primary unit in a pair can be attacked.

also useful for building support level
Old 2013-03-06, 01:58   Link #280
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
1: to level up weaker characters. if you pair them up with a paladin, watch as
their stats bonus goes up like crazy. then your level 2 character can kill a level 10
monsters like easy peasey. a really good way to level up your weaker unpromoted units.

2: in lunatic mode, you want to pair them up so that they dont get kill by a bunch
of enemies coming toward you. even my crazy OP character can still be kill by the
enemies if they gang bang him/her. if i pair them up, like for example, Lucina and
Chrom together..... = ZOMG, my paladin Lucina just KILL practically everything that
comes at her when pair up with A support Chrom.

3: if you have the "Deliver" skill from the griffon class, you can pair them up and
get an extra +2 movement; that's VERY useful if you want to move around a lot.

4: you'll pair up a lot in lunatic mode...trust me, you'll need to or else the enemies
will just gang up on you in packs and your one character not pair with those cool
bonus will end up dying reealllly quick.

Tags
3ds, fire emblem