AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-12-25, 03:33   Link #1
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Best storage for CD/DVD media?

I've recently been wondering which is the best way to store discs and provides the least amount of scratching? I usually leave burned discs in spindles but I'm paranoid about label to data side scratching. And I've always been skeptical about CD books for some reason.

I've been told, in the end jewel cases provide the best storage option. What are your thoughts on this? Is investing in slimline jewel cases the best option? Paper sleeves? CD book sleeves, spindles?

Basically I want my stuff, both bought and burned to last for a long time. I already understand that pressed media has a much longer shelf life than written media.
Old 2004-12-25, 03:42   Link #2
RichMan
????

CD's/DVD's are pretty durable, a few scratches won't do any harm. The following storage options I mention are the best to use to save space.

If your just using the cd's for unimportant computer stuff (like pictures, documents, programs) then I recommend just using the thing that came with your blank cd's (that stick thingy that lets you stack the cd's)

If it's something important to you like a family video dvd or anime, then you should probably get a cd case. So you can quickly browse your collection and choose the one you want.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 10:47   Link #3
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

I've kept my CDs in slim jewel cases, the cases get scratched to hell but the discs are completely unharmed... now I use a slipcover binder, I have seen no scratch yet (though I don't remove them much which causes scratching the most).
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 17:50   Link #4
ShadowX114
is my nickname

I put all my cds in cd binder sleeves for 2 reasons: 1- Like richman said, to browse my collection easily...turning pages like a book 2- Easy to handle (like a bag) if I want to take them somewhere. Putting them in jewel cases is the opposite: When you want to look for a specific cd, you have to check each cd one by one and if you want to many cds somewhere,....well its like holding a couple of heavy books, unless u put them in a plastic bag.
Conclusion, cd binders are the best in my opinion.

Last edited by ShadowX114; 2004-12-28 at 22:26.
ShadowX114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 19:31   Link #5
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Good point brought up there, but CD cases are a hassle to lug around aswell... putting CDs in binder sleeves is much more organized and transportation-easy.

1) You carry one book around, versus a CD case per CD
2) Want to find one? Flip through the pages, boom, there you have it. need to put it back? Just look for the sleeve with the empty slot.
Old 2004-12-28, 20:12   Link #6
ShadowX114
is my nickname

I think I misnamed the object im talking about. When I said cd case, i meant the CD binder sleeves. Isn't cd case a synonyme of cd binder? If not, well I really meant the cd binder, thats why i said turning the pages like a book.

So what's a cd case after all??!!
Old 2004-12-28, 22:08   Link #7
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

a CD Case is the same as a CD jewel case (thin case)... is the standard storage audio and sometimes data CDs come in.

http://images.google.ca/images?q=cd%...al&sa=N&tab=wi

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en...se&btnG=Search
Old 2004-12-28, 22:25   Link #8
ShadowX114
is my nickname

ahh ok then....learned something today thanks
ima edit my first post
Old 2004-12-28, 22:29   Link #9
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Be careful of the binding case though. There are good ones and there are bad ones. Look for the ones with the cloth ones and avoid the plastic inside ones. The cloth/cotton interior should be glued on tight.

I have had ones that fell apart and the glue ruin the CD/DVDs. The leather ones should be avoided since the material tends to fall apart in humid weather. Also, avoide the ones made in Taiwan. (learned the hard way!).
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 03:19   Link #10
WaterSideAngel
Off to a fresh start!

Also soon once DVD-RAM becomes popular in public, those will have outstanding resistance to scratches and it will quickly become all of the rage and it will replace DVD-RW's. Just wait until Blue Laser technology gets recognized...^^
WaterSideAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 08:24   Link #11
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSideAngel
Also soon once DVD-RAM becomes popular in public, those will have outstanding resistance to scratches and it will quickly become all of the rage and it will replace DVD-RW's. Just wait until Blue Laser technology gets recognized...^^
I'm pretty sure it will - at the latest when the PS3 is released with a new format of discs that can be read by blue lasers only. I was like when I saw the amount of GB such a disc can hold, but now I'm like because I already forgot the storage capacity...
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 09:47   Link #12
SlugZilla
woofles

TDK created a hard coating technology that makes the discs scratch free. Blu-Ray disc will incorporate this technology making cartridges unnecessary.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6583
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote