AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-15, 05:02   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 657 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

The Punk Hazard adventure continues! Credit goes to ohana for the spoilers and AP's Steven D. Teach for translation:

-Chapter title is something like "severed head". Ministory features Zanbai from the Franky family (y'know, the guy who was second in command when Franky was still around).

-Luffy is messing around with the talking legs. Zoro then notices that there's an iceberg at the island. On the other hand, Usopp discovers what seems to be a bird-woman on top of a building.....

-Meanwhile, Sanji's group wakes up in a prison. There they discover another unusual phenomenon..... a talking head! The head says that he's searching for his son. After a small talk with the head, Franky blows away the wall of the room they're imprisoned in and everyone makes their escape. Sanji takes the head with him and notices that he's a samurai from the Wano country since he has a chonmage. The guys in the gas masks chase after them after hearing the noise they made, and Sanji kicks down a door to a nearby room. Inside is a group of gigantic children.....

Man, this storyline just gets more and more bizarre! Anyways, looks like we're finally introduced to the upper half (or at least just the head) of those talking legs. And I'm guessing that the big kid at the end is his son. I also wonder what's up with that bird-man? Well, looks like we'll have plenty of time to talk about that stuff, since.....

NOTE: ONE PIECE WILL BE ON BREAK NEXT WEEK SO DON'T EXPECT TO SEE A NEW CHAPTER THREAD UNTIL AROUND THE 29TH. I REPEAT: THERE WILL BE NO CHAPTER NEXT WEEK.

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-02-15 at 12:06.
Old 2012-02-15, 05:37   Link #2
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

There's couple of details missing from that initial spoiler.

The severed head is split into pieces. Like literally, pieces.
The crew put together the pieces to make the head.
The samurai proclaims anyone he has cut, was done so without shame. (in other words, he's proclaiming he's never cut anyone without honorable cause) and he will cut tens of thousands more to get to his son.
His statements and predicament suggest the samurai is a good guy.
Also, I believe the bird-human Usopp spotted was a bird-woman.
Old 2012-02-15, 08:18   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That bird-man does look like a bird-woman. That arc is indeed pretty bizarre so far. Almost feels like I'm reading Jojo. A samurai split into several pieces, kidnappers, giant kids, a bird woman... I have no clue where this is going.

Loved the samurai's comments about Nami's clothes. She's such a tease.

I'm a little surprised Sanji was unable to blow that door open, but I guess it's better not to think about it to much.
Old 2012-02-15, 08:46   Link #4
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

so.... now the crew already got two pieces of puzzles (half-bottom and head... now the body is the only part left) lol....

and now, welcome to Gulliver travels arc???? or hot-cold island??? xD xD

no more break please.... T____T
Old 2012-02-15, 09:11   Link #5
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Will also share my thoughts that the bird-man looks more like a bird-woman, though who's to say looks mean anything in this story.

Shame there's a week break after such a cliffhanger. Going by that last page with the giant children, i'd say the gang are on some kind of experimental island like a few of you have speculated already over the past few weeks.
Old 2012-02-15, 09:27   Link #6
Battler-kun

She is a Harpy

Oda is spamming us with mythological creatures.

I really love the NW already, it has been fantastic so far, much better than the dull FI-Arc.
Old 2012-02-15, 09:46   Link #7
Somnus
Eh?

Woo! I came early enough to say it!

Bird-woman/Harpy for next strawhat!

Other than that, great chapter. A random thought occurred to me while I was reading the chapter. Maybe this is where the two admirals fought?
Old 2012-02-15, 09:52   Link #8
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Ok then...giant baby girl in the last page for next Nakama!
Old 2012-02-15, 10:20   Link #9
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Bird-woman/Harpy for next strawhat!
Calling toriyaki, you heard it here first...Luffy ate a dragon, I doubt he'd spare a harpy After lots of intense thinking and cross-referencing, I deduct that this samurai had a run-in with Law
Old 2012-02-15, 10:44   Link #10
yakumo-chan

is franky stronger than Sanji now?
Old 2012-02-15, 11:52   Link #11
ronin myael
lost ronin

i love that severed talking head/puzzle! hilarious! i have no idea where this is leading but i'm loving this arc already! too bad there's no chapter next week. damn!
Old 2012-02-15, 12:01   Link #12
marvelB

Thanks for the additional details, Aohige. I slightly edited my earlier summary a bit to reflect some of the corrected info, but I think your post explains the rest better than I can.

Anyways, this was a fun chapter. I totally agree with Kanon about this feeling like something out of Jojo. Anyway, the samurai head guy is cool. I love how the Straw-Hats are messing around with both parts of his body (Luffy with the "centaur", the head hitting on Nami, etc.). And yeah, I'm more convinced now that some weird radioactive-type experiments are taking place at this island. At least, that would explain why those gas mask guys' uniforms, as well as the giant kids (though I guess the latter could also be caused by a DF)....

And yeah, looks like that bird (harpy?) woman will be one of the new enemies of this arc (hmmm, I can already see the onslaught of posts clamoring for her to join ). Heh, I wonder how much stronger Luffy will become now that he ate that dragon meat? And what the heck is Brooke gonna do since he's all alone on the ship.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm a little surprised Sanji was unable to blow that door open, but I guess it's better not to think about it to much.

I don't think that he was unable to break down the door so much as he was afraid of causing enough noise to alert the gas mask guys. Notice how he tried to stop Franky from blasting through the wall with his beam (which drew the enemies' attention, anyway).

BTW, something interesting to note about the ministory: We've actually saw that princess-looking girl and that butler before. In fact, Oda gave us some info about them in volume 47's SBS:

Quote:
D: My question is about the rich-looking young lady with the binoculars in Chapters 436-437 from Volume 45! What exactly is she looking at?! I know Franky's a pervert, but I think SHE must be, too. I would like to know what she looks like, and what her name is. Good luck with your work! P.N. Gengerous Zone

O: I see... You found her. Then allow me to introduce the lady Marmieta ("I can see all"). Her manservant beside her is Yamenahare ("Now you stop that"). She is the only daughter of Bimine, the mayor of the "Gourmet Town," Pucci, which is connected to Water Seven via the Sea Express. This young woman is most ignorant of the ways of the world, and therefore quite the curious one! Having heard of the damage from the Aqua Laguna, she came here to deliver emergency supplies, and found herself witnessing the most extraordinary event!!

Also, notice that the mayor father mentioned in Oda's answer is even shown in the ministory page. Now how cool is that?
Old 2012-02-15, 12:46   Link #13
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

BTW, something interesting to note about the ministory: We've actually saw that princess-looking girl and that butler before. In fact, Oda gave us some info about them in volume 47's SBS:

Also, notice that the mayor father mentioned in Oda's answer is even shown in the ministory page. Now how cool is that?

i think puchi town is been mention many times before

Old 2012-02-15, 12:51   Link #14
Rainbowman

Quote:
-Chapter title is something like "severed head". Ministory features Zanbai from the Franky family (y'know, the guy who was second in command when Franky was still around).
Not much to comment here.

Quote:
-Luffy is messing around with the talking legs. Zoro then notices that there's an iceberg at the island. On the other hand, Usopp discovers what seems to be a bird-woman on top of a building.....
I wonder what Usopp's reation would be should he discovers that the bird-woman's face ressembles his mother Banchina (it could happen).

Quote:
-Meanwhile, Sanji's group wakes up in a prison. There they discover another unusual phenomenon..... a talking head! The head says that he's searching for his son. After a small talk with the head, Franky blows away the wall of the room they're imprisoned in and everyone makes their escape. Sanji takes the head with him and notices that he's a samurai from the Wano country since he has a chonmage. The guys in the gas masks chase after them after hearing the noise they made, and Sanji kicks down a door to a nearby room. Inside is a group of gigantic children.....
A talking severed head. Also it's good to see Sanji's group making their escape. With the gigantic children, I wonder if any of them ressemble tiger cubs.

Quote:
NOTE: ONE PIECE WILL BE ON BREAK NEXT WEEK SO DON'T EXPECT TO SEE A NEW CHAPTER THREAD UNTIL AROUND THE 29TH. I REPEAT: THERE WILL BE NO CHAPTER NEXT WEEK.
< "Aw Boo."
Old 2012-02-15, 12:56   Link #15
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Anyways, this was a fun chapter. I totally agree with Kanon about this feeling like something out of Jojo. Anyway, the samurai head guy is cool. I love how the Straw-Hats are messing around with both parts of his body (Luffy with the "centaur", the head hitting on Nami, etc.). And yeah, I'm more convinced now that some weird radioactive-type experiments are taking place at this island. At least, that would explain why those gas mask guys' uniforms, as well as the giant kids (though I guess the latter could also be caused by a DF)....

which make me more convince that vegapunk must be behind this

Old 2012-02-15, 13:05   Link #16
marvelB

^I don't doubt that Vegapunk is connected to this island somehow, but I'm more interested in the "experiments" themselves rather than the man behind them at the moment.

Anyways, I wonder how many more mythical-type creatures will appear? We've already had a dragon, and what appears to be a harpy shows up this chapter, so what's next? I think I made a joke in the last thread about the possibility of seeing some yetis on the cold side of the island, but maybe it's not such an impossible idea after all....
Old 2012-02-15, 13:42   Link #17
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
is franky stronger than Sanji now?
He just put more effort into destroying the wall. I think Sanji could have achieved the same, if he really wanted to.
Old 2012-02-15, 13:51   Link #18
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The woman with wings looks more like an angel to me rather than a harpy from just her silhouette, but she's probably neither of these things as the likely conclusion is that she consumed a Zoan DF for a certain bird creature.

Though I do think she'll be an antagonist considering that slasher smile she had on her face. Maybe not the big bad but at least one of their strongest subordinates.

And it looks like the samurai will be an ally for the Strawhats in this arc eventually. One team has his head and the other has his legs. Could his torso be in the hands of the enemy party?

And we end on giant children. This arc is getting stranger and stranger. It's too bad there's a break next week cause this is all so intriguing and I'm so anxious to see what the deal is.
Old 2012-02-15, 15:12   Link #19
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Those kids could easily be just children of giants, maybe kidnapped from Elbaf just like the samurai's son (who could be among them). I think the island was abandoned by the WG and sealed off (like Smoker said), so some nefarious types (Doflamingo?) use it for their shady stuff (possibly slave trading, although I wonder why Law would want to have anything to do with them)...
Old 2012-02-15, 15:15   Link #20
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Anyone think the fire/ice island is where Akainu and Aokiji duked out?

Or just a coincidence?
Closed Thread