AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-09, 19:23   Link #25641
Traece
:cool:

Washington Post - Chinese web censor snaps, goes on public rant against censorship.

This is actually a pretty fascinating article. It goes into a bit of detail about censorship in China. Anyone who is following any of this activity should give it a good read.

Personally, I wish they didn't use the word "snaps" in a headline...
Old 2013-01-09, 20:38   Link #25642
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I don't know where to put this piece of "news" now that I don't see a gun control thread. This video exemplifies the very nature of the nutcase right wing American culture. Alex Jones wants to deport Piers Morgan for advocating gun control:

Piers Morgan debates Alex Jones

Old 2013-01-09, 20:57   Link #25643
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Most right wingers even stand away from Alex Jones -- he's an idiot.
Old 2013-01-09, 21:15   Link #25644
Elestia

Everyone else is at fault except me!
Old 2013-01-09, 21:15   Link #25645
GundamFan0083

Sugetsu, that is an idiot (Piers) interviewing a moron (Jones). Is it news worthy? Probably not.
Old 2013-01-09, 21:21   Link #25646
GDB

Saw a clip of that on Daily Show. So... why did he say 1776? Shouldn't he have said 1861 instead?
Old 2013-01-09, 21:32   Link #25647
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Research suggests we may actually face a declining world population in the coming yea

Quote:
The world’s seemingly relentless march toward overpopulation achieved a notable milestone in 2012: Somewhere on the planet, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates, the 7 billionth living person came into existence.
Lucky No. 7,000,000,000 probably celebrated his or her birthday sometime in March and added to a population that’s already stressing the planet’s limited supplies of food, energy, and clean water. Should this trend continue, as the Los Angeles Times noted in a five-part series marking the occasion, by midcentury, “living conditions are likely to be bleak for much of humanity.”
http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...ng.single.html

Old 2013-01-09, 21:33   Link #25648
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Alex Jones, what a c***! I don't give a shit about what happened 236 years ago when the issue at stakes here is completely unrelated with old-fashioned muskets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Saw a clip of that on Daily Show. So... why did he say 1776? Shouldn't he have said 1861 instead?
This. No wonder why nutjobs like him tore a country in half with thousands of deaths as a result back then.
Old 2013-01-09, 21:48   Link #25649
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Giffords and Kelly: Fighting gun violence
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...ntrol/1816383/
Quote:
Until now, the gun lobby's political contributions, advertising and lobbying have dwarfed spending from anti-gun violence groups. No longer. With Americans for Responsible Solutions engaging millions of people about ways to reduce gun violence and funding political activity nationwide, legislators will no longer have reason to fear the gun lobby. Other efforts such as improving mental health care and opposing illegal guns are essential, but as gun owners and survivors of gun violence, we have a unique message for Americans.
Old 2013-01-09, 23:07   Link #25650
kyp275
Meh

Who thought this was a good idea?

Welp, the direction of this thread seems to be heading in the wrong direction, much like these guys

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/09/world/...html?hpt=hp_t3

I gotta say, this particular sport has got to be a terrible idea.
Old 2013-01-10, 01:21   Link #25651
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
I don't know where to put this piece of "news" now that I don't see a gun control thread. This video exemplifies the very nature of the nutcase right wing American culture. Alex Jones wants to deport Piers Morgan for advocating gun control:

Piers Morgan debates Alex Jones

Jeez... this low rating cable show host (above) is still going at it (20 days and counting...) to get national attention through raw emotion roller coaster?

Guess what? He succeeds... and locals sure are taking notice:

Last edited by flying ^; 2013-01-10 at 01:59.
Old 2013-01-10, 01:36   Link #25652
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Welp, the direction of this thread seems to be heading in the wrong direction, much like these guys

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/09/world/...html?hpt=hp_t3

I gotta say, this particular sport has got to be a terrible idea.
Why the hell are they riding it on top of a mountain?.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-10, 01:40   Link #25653
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
Jeez... this low rating cable show host above is still going at it (20 days and counting...) to get national attention through raw emotion roller coaster?

I am a huge fan of Ben Swann. He uses fact, not hype or fiction. Reality Check is a show I've followed for quite some time now.
Old 2013-01-10, 02:57   Link #25654
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I am a huge fan of Ben Swann. He uses fact, not hype or fiction. Reality Check is a show I've followed for quite some time now.
So when are people going start harping that, "Those facts are manipulated because they are part of Fox."?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-10, 02:59   Link #25655
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Sugetsu, that is an idiot (Piers) interviewing a moron (Jones). Is it news worthy? Probably not.
How is Piers an idiot again?

Quote:
Jeez... this low rating cable show host (above) is still going at it (20 days and counting...) to get national attention through raw emotion roller coaster?
And the correlation between ratings and facts is???

With the regards to the video you posted, the argument about guns and violence doesn't hold up, not because it isn't true but because it is irrelevant to the gun control debate. The reason the country wants gun control is to make it harder for deranged individuals to commit mass murder.

If you want to solve the country's wide spread violence then you need to reduce inequality, but oh wait, I think that's a non starter for you because you will draw the conclusion that I am trying to spread communism.

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2013-01-10 at 03:10.
Old 2013-01-10, 03:13   Link #25656
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Junked food: Shock report claims HALF of the world's produce is thrown away not eaten

Quote:
Perfectly good produce is thrown away by supermarkets because it's ugly or families because they've over-bought

Two billion tonnes of food is thrown away each year without even making it to the dinner table.

Perfectly good produce is left to rot because of transport and storage failures, a report revealed yesterday.

UK supermarkets come under fire for demanding perfect fruit and vegetables in a uniform size, with 30% put in the bin for being too ugly.

Dr Tim Fox, of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, said: “The amount of food wasted and lost globally is staggering.

"It could be used to feed the growing population and those in hunger today.

“It is also a waste of the land, water and energy resources used in the production, processing and distribution of this food.”

The IME, which compiled the report, is also critical of the buy-one-get-one-free culture on fresh food which entices families to buy more than they can eat, which ends up going off.

The It’s Global Food – Waste Not, Want Not report claims 50% of produce does not even make the cooking pot.

Dr Fox added: “The reasons range from poor engineering and agricultural practices, inadequate transport and storage through to supermarkets demanding cosmetically perfect foodstuffs and encouraging people to over-buy.”

The institute wants multi-buy offers on food scrapped and for stores and consumers to embrace odd-shaped fruit and veg.

Last night industry body the British Retail Consortium defended stores and said food deals were based on price cuts rather than multibuy offers.

Director Andrew Opie added that supermarkets had lobbied the EU to relax “strict marketing rules” so they could sell wonky produce.

“Retailers want to help customers make their money go further, adopting a range of approaches to help people make the best use of the food they buy.”

Old 2013-01-10, 03:55   Link #25657
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
With the regards to the video you posted, the argument about guns and violence doesn't hold up, not because it isn't true but because it is irrelevant to the gun control debate. The reason the country wants gun control is to make it harder for deranged individuals to commit mass murder.
Your camp is still hell bent on pushing to reintroduce emo-driven national AWB in the CXIII congress with "enhancements".

Current wisdom in the Beltway says it's a non-starter. If so, then anything's possible under this current regime.

Last edited by flying ^; 2013-01-10 at 04:36.
Old 2013-01-10, 06:01   Link #25658
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Boeing top engineer says he's confident 787 is safe
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90900S20130110
Quote:
Boeing Co rolled out the Dreamliner's chief engineer to try to quell concerns about the new jet following three mishaps in as many days, including an electrical fire that caused severe damage to a plane.
Old 2013-01-10, 07:09   Link #25659
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:

I'm not a fan of gun so i maybe biased, but a lot of arguments against or for gun control were simply manipulation of statistics.

The video above for example pointed out how guns could be a great tool for deterrence (or self-defense), hence may contribute to the reported low in violence cases comparing to UK. But surely when it happens, the damage it cause will get worse. Basically, the greater mean of self-defense, the more dangerous it is to be an aggressive weapons. The scale for me is:
ICBM>>> long range missles >>> military >>> guns >>>stungun/pepper spray >>> sharp tools >>>fists

So i believe if it's only to reduce the number of violent crimes, or any crimes, owning long-range missile at reasonable prices will make every asshole a little nicer knowing their asses can be blown up any moment as consequences *coughUScough* . But much like gun, crazy missleman can inflict lots more pains to anyone else, so not a lot people oppose the banning of owning long-range missiles. Anyway back to the topic, on default, gun control debate is all on low risks with high consequences, versus, high risks with low consequences. But the best solution has to be based on context , can't one-size( or one country) fit all

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2013-01-10 at 07:24.
Old 2013-01-10, 07:49   Link #25660
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Interesting. I think to deal with this we might need food prices to go up a bit. Perhaps western governments should initiate farmland buyouts, and convert them into parks.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international