AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-03, 08:56   Link #101
wao
OK.

Wargh, I don't know why I continue to watch this even though I'm too damn lazy to actually properly figure out what's going on. Seriously, I think I should have listened carefully right from the start... episode three looked fun and interesting as usual, what with
Spoiler:
but ... I still don't know what's going on. Maybe I should try remembering people's names and their relationship to each other first... bah. I give up :P I suppose I can continue saying that the show is surprising me with the high production values... The drawings are very close to the designs and very clean-cut, and there still was some smoothly-animated action. Of course there is some huge amount of animators working on it... in-betweeners included. Maybe it's vaguely got to do with the fact that like with the first 2 or so eps of IGPX, Studio Ghibli's doing some of the in-between animation? (They've been doing it for all the episodes so far...) And next episode looks like the same quality as well. Though I'm more impressed by the excellent background art, I love the colours they use!
Old 2006-09-03, 10:42   Link #102
Aniki Meiski

This series is looking more like Berusaiyu no Onmyouji. I might blog this later is the subs are getting very tardy.

Spoiler:
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 11:46   Link #103
wao
OK.

Thanks for the clarification. Well, that shows how much attention I was paying... but it makes sense with the appearance of somebody at the end and that hilariously dramatic... I don't know what you call it, sword-stabbing? Exclamation? I wonder when we'll see Robespierre...
Old 2006-09-04, 01:19   Link #104
lommm
l'homme de lommm

yeah
Spoiler:

what time on sturdays does this show air in japan??
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 01:28   Link #105
wao
OK.

7:00 pm. on WOWOW. Speaking of WOWOW, I'm disappointed that it seems like certain raw groups have decided to stop releasing raws of another current WOWOW show... but oh well. (EDIT: Duh, it's beacuse there's a break in the broadcast. Never mind.)

I think WOWOW must have told I.G. to bloody well put in effort into this anime which is why it looks so much better than Blood+ and XXXHolic. Or maybe they saw Ergo Proxy and said "if that sort of stuff is allowed, we'll show them we can do better" or something.

Last edited by wao; 2006-09-04 at 03:29.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 05:24   Link #106
lommm
l'homme de lommm

i think it has a lot to do with the director
he was series director of hunter x hunter and one of the directors of ruruoni kenshin

plus i think the novel and the mangas were pretty popular

and i think they know the european setting will be easy to sell to other countries (France maybe ) so they want it to look good

and Louis XV's France is probably very fun to draw and tempting for good artists

i wonder how much of this animation is staying in Japan and how much is going to Korea?
Old 2006-09-04, 11:40   Link #107
wao
OK.

So far none of the key animation has gone to Korea, and only a little of the in-betweening has gone to Korea (but like I said there are tons of studios doing them for the three episodes so far, including Ghibli of all things).

The same can't be said for XXXHolic where entire episodes had their animation outsourced. Oh well. I guess the director is the type who commands a good production budget just like Goro Taniguchi, who always gets these high-budget projects... Or perhaps he just chooses the high-budget ones Because in this case, looking at the list of animators, it's not like he collected a bunch of great animators (ala Noein 12), but more like the existing folks at I.G. suddenly decided to put in a lot of effort and make it really shiny. Sounds more like a high budget in the end. Oh whatever.

While I think the designs are awesome and are a pleasure to draw - in the sense that it looks good when completed - it's rather hard to draw quickly, isn't it?
Old 2006-09-04, 17:24   Link #108
lommm
l'homme de lommm

it's all about an assembly line

think henry ford

lots of people doing little small drawing tasks in assembly line fashion means they get it done faster than we can imagine

which is still impressive for the quality of eps 1-3 (here's hoping it does start slipping like ergo, though dif studio)...actually IG kept up the quality all the way through gitssac, maybe this willl be the same

*EDIT* I'm going to start calling him D'Eon when he's himself and D:L when he's posessed because writing out "D;Eon when he's posessed by Lia" is too much... we can't call D'Eon "D" because it will be confused with Durand, so D'Eon is fine, i suppose

Last edited by lommm; 2006-09-04 at 19:04.
Old 2006-09-04, 22:19   Link #109
wao
OK.

I think they'll also try an emotional approach - appealing to his feelings for certain things, or holding people hostage or whatever. (Actually it's just an excuse for me to say I don't see much of an use for Anna at the moment... but then again, she could be D'Eon's spy in the Palace... keep an eye on the Queen?)

Also I think you can refer to D'Eon possessed by Lia as Lia!D'Eon like they do in lots of fandoms when they refer to alternate version of people (like mad!Train or.. or pissed!Atori?) Though I guess it doesn't matter eventually. Okay, I think I shall get out of here before I devolve into discussing really superficial details like I tend to do...
Old 2006-09-10, 15:47   Link #110
lommm
l'homme de lommm

dunno if anyone watched ep04 yet, but they amped the blood up again...
Spoiler:
Old 2006-09-10, 15:55   Link #111
Aniki Meiski

Spoiler:
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-10, 16:41   Link #112
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Damn, I so want to watch this finally. If only I had the time...

EDIT: And what the hell... Beaumarchais!? THE Beaumarchais? That is so weird!
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 10:44   Link #113
wao
OK.

Could someone explain what precisely the Queen was saying to the 4 Musketeers about NQM and whatnot? (In a spoiler tag of course) I wish I had the time to go and re-look/rehear it properly but hey, the holidays ended (and I'm being bleeding lazy) I probably wont' get an answer though but hey...
Old 2006-09-11, 18:55   Link #114
lommm
l'homme de lommm

well, i made some screens and a summary... aniki and others, feel free to cerrect my summary if i got something wrong, or to fill in the blanks...

screens and summary (broken up for ease of reading since i don't use blogspot like aniki ) --

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by lommm; 2006-09-11 at 19:06.
Old 2006-09-16, 04:44   Link #115
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I just start watching. I'm so amazed with the animation. It looks so pretty. And the fencing fight, wow!

The story was pretty engaging too. Haven't seen anything this good since Gankutsuo. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 05:27   Link #116
lommm
l'homme de lommm

i've taking a fair amount of fencing over the years and the animation for those fights has been spot on accurate

ep 05 airs tomorrow (today) .... it something about D'Eon going to another town to investigate further... and either he or Durand runs into Robespierre... that's all i know right now... will post screens and such after I watch it
Old 2006-09-16, 06:59   Link #117
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm
i've taking a fair amount of fencing over the years and the animation for those fights has been spot on accurate
It looks really hard, you guys must have incredible reflex to be good at fencing. ^^;;

Kinda curious about the swords tho, what kind of swords are they? rappier? Is it different with saber?
Old 2006-09-16, 16:27   Link #118
lommm
l'homme de lommm

are you asking about swords used in modern fencing (foils) or are you asking about what weapons Duran and Teillagory were fencing with?

If it's modern you're asking, just look up fencing on wiki... basically, there's the foil... a rapier, a sabre, and an epee. these are used for different styles and different sets of rules. the differences have largely to do with the edge of the blade. Standard fencing like you'd see in some US and many Euro high schools and colleges, and in the Olympics, has no real cutting edge. It's smooth down the length of the blade, either rounded or four sided (kind of squared) and the actual sharp part is the tip. But that has a ball guard on it so it stops on the surface and does not go in the body for the kill. You can see good fencing in two movies that I can think of right off the top of my head. Rob Roy with Liam Neeson and Tim Roth is generally considered to have the most realistic swordplay in any movie. Roth uses French style rapier, Neeson a Scottish broadsword. At the end of the movie when they fight, Roth stabs Neeson about twenty times or so, causing massive internal bleeding. But all it takes is one clean hit from the broadsword and Roth is quartered. The other movie is called The Duellists by Ridley Scott. That's all about fencing. Stars Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine. They are using something more along the lines of what we see in Chevalier.

Now if you're asking about Chevalier, I think they're either using an Epee du Soldat or some type of sabre. The Epee was the standard issue sword for the French army all through Louis XV and XVI. THe épée: Narrow round, double-edged or triple-edged French sword heavier than a foil with bowl-shaped guard used for dueling and fencing. Full body armor was almost totally out of fashion, so people used small, quick swords that could stick the opponent many times rapidly. Generally they went straight for the heart. There's a movie called Vatel with Tim Roth and Depardieu where four men attack one man and they all four hit his heart within just a few seconds. But they are using rapiers, a long, narrow French sword lacking a cutting edge, often with swept-, basket- or cuplike hilt, used in the 16th and 17th centuries for thrusting. The sabre, has onecutting edge down the length of the blade, which is usually curved. I haven't noticed anyone using curved blades yet. So it's lightweight, and you can either stick or slash.

THe writing down D'EOn's blade was if I remember correctly quite common in France, but I thought it was more under Napoleon.

That'sall I can think of. I'm sure someone else (possibly from France) could tell more about the swords.

BTW, it's not that I remember sword fights in movies that well, just that those theree films were used as examples in a class I took on fencing.
Old 2006-09-17, 04:36   Link #119
ephemeral

umm... maybe this isn't the right place to ask about this... if it isn't then i'm very sorry. i was just wondering is episode 1 the only one which was translated and subbed? i mean, there are already 4 realesed in raws and they're quite old, have all the translating groups dropped this project? ._. everyone talks about the next episodes, do you watch them in japanese? ._.
ephemeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-17, 06:04   Link #120
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I got that impression too, with a narrow sword like that, you can probably go between the ribs without getting stuck after. Do massive bleeding on vital organs.

About D'Eon sword. The design looks really fancy, very different from the other knights. ^^ And he embeded his sister cross. ^^;; Is that his family heirloom? He seems came from a noble family. Or is it just a knight standard?

Tags
historical, supernatural