AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Old 2006-10-11, 18:42   Link #301
Omniscient

I just heard the Hayashibara Megumi's Heartful Station broadcast from a week and a half ago, which had an almost three minute version of 1000%SPARKING!. I don't like the way it opens, but the rest of the song is good. The character quotes don't come until about halfway through.
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 18:58   Link #302
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
I find it funny how people say "It's lacking animation."

Somebody's really been watching too much KyoAni stuff

And yeah, the animation is actually much better than it is other anime.

Anime like, Bokura ga Ita, c'mon, the anime lacks more luster than it does for Negima!? But you don't see me complaining that "THE CLASS DOESN'T FRIGGIN' MOVE T_T"

The OP's style is sexy *o* I just noticed that somebody's skirt fell off too lol

Umm, overall ep 2, good enough to still keep me watchin' and wanting ep 3. Eva's transformation scene cracked me up good xD

We'll probably have it out subbed by hopefully this weekend :>
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 19:32   Link #303
Scorpio3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I just heard the Hayashibara Megumi's Heartful Station broadcast from a week and a half ago, which had an almost three minute version of 1000%SPARKING!. I don't like the way it opens, but the rest of the song is good. The character quotes don't come until about halfway through.
Awesome, is that broadcast available to listen to online anywhere? (I dont know if its on the site you linked to because I had a hard time navigateing it XD). I would really like to hear the full version of the OP song and I was thinking I would have to wait until the single came out next month
Scorpio3.14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 19:56   Link #304
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Haha... finally watched episode 2. What a fun production! Everything about this show screams "excess", including the excellent OP. Even if you don't count the "baka rangers" bit, the whole show is a parody of old super sentai shows and old shows/movies/anime, and yet it manages to do this while still being somewhat true to the original source material (despite it being almost a parody of that as well). Anyway, the whole thing's just really well done; I love it! Above all, you can tell that the writers and directors are having fun, and that shows up in the production. I hate to pull the comparison card, but this is really like Futakoi Alternative to the original Futakoi, even though in both cases I liked both productions.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 00:06   Link #305
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
The animation is one of the best parts, better than most other shows airing right now.
I'd say worse than most other shows airing right now. And i do follow most shows this season.
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 00:15   Link #306
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot View Post
I'd say worse than most other shows airing right now. And i do follow most shows this season.
There's a few dozen new shows this season. While there are some shows with better animation quality than Negima( subjective), Negima's animation quality is still very good and better than most shows debuting in the Fall season; or have you been watching LQ 4:3 RAWs?
Old 2006-10-12, 00:21   Link #307
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Negima's animation certainly doesn't have the most motion of the season, but the art has quality and STYLE. I consider style to be just as important as motion and certainly a lot more important that making everyone's hair blow around. And I'm not just talking about the water-color scenes with Evangeline. Though those are definitely cool.

Before you diss Negima for not having as much motion as other shows, take a good look at it and compare how much nicer looking it is than some of the shows you are considering to be better than it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 00:37   Link #308
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Maybe we should distinguish between "art" "animation" "special effects", and things like "backgrounds" and character design.

Negima!? is fairly "arty" so far - use of watercolor or even oil styles, some PPD hyperdeformation, quick cuts. The animation itself is fairly efficient and I suspect they're saving their budget for later episodes when there's less standing around and more moving. The special effects budget is probably as pricey as Nanoha's (lots of compu-time). The backgrounds range from highly detailed to almost "Chuck Jones" surreal.

<shrug> I think anyone with a clue is going to watch at least a handful of episodes before they leap to judgement.
Old 2006-10-12, 00:57   Link #309
Rin-Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
Well someone had to do it. As much as i wanted to stay out of this thread after my little rant a few pages back, i just couldn't resist perodying this pic.....

Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 01:07   Link #310
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ lol that is really cruel to nodoka XD shes just not that type of person

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 01:49   Link #311
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I just love the look and feel of this show. The pacing and humor are great, too. The show definitely has art and style. It is one of the most visually arresting anime I have ever seen. The use of colors is startling, weird, and quite wonderful. The fight with Eva. Her Nanoha-esque reappearance inside. The amazing shots of the town. Even the scene in the mountains.

If all you care about is motion, then I guess you can not like the animation. But dense drawing and constant motion are just techniques. Art is something different. (KyoAni just happens to combine the two.) I admire anime that can be effective without spending too much money. In fact, I was about to mention how much I liked the ED, in which the scrolling names are about the only actual movement. I like both the ED visuals and the ED song, sung by Kanda Akemi (Asuna).

I guess the only thing I can express some doubt about is the story-telling. I want to be led on to follow the story, not wander off as I did with PaniPoni. But I am watching the raw with my imperfect Japanese, so perhaps the arrival of subs will make a difference.

Another problem: the full-frame 16:9 version of episode 2 will not be broadcast until Friday at 6pm (Japan time), according to Shoboi Calendar.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 01:57   Link #312
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
^ lol that is really cruel to nodoka XD shes just not that type of person
but a typical Haruna-scheme
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 07:18   Link #313
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The people that are bad-mouthing Negima!? are the kind that just don't want anything to be different when compared to the original manga.. you get these kinds of fans a lot when it comes to retelling of stories. Doesn't matter how good it may be.. they'll just bitch for no reason. =/
Old 2006-10-12, 09:34   Link #314
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
The people that are bad-mouthing Negima!? are the kind that just don't want anything to be different when compared to the original manga.. you get these kinds of fans a lot when it comes to retelling of stories. Doesn't matter how good it may be.. they'll just bitch for no reason. =/
Not everybody falls under your generalization. I'm coming from a writer's background. The first episode's pacing was lukewarm and the character introductions of the whole class was too much in too little time. The art style is both beautiful, yet watery too at the same time(if that makes sense to you) and will get mixed opinions from people.
Old 2006-10-12, 10:10   Link #315
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Justin's remarks aren't really offbase. Someone encountering Negima!? for the first time would be just as lost about the characters as a new employee introduced to 30 or 40 new coworkers. With a recording you can review and learn the names but watching it on air probably confused a number of viewers. From my perspective, though I enjoyed it - that is the weakest part of episode 1. On the one hand, it lets the hardcore know their favorite girl(s) won't be totally ignored, but OTOH it is a bit of a mess for the new viewer. The pacing was a bit staid but I rewatched PPD's first ep and realized how placid it was compared to later episodes as well.

The art is the art.... I find it appealing but yet at the same time I also find KyoAni's "hyperreal surrealism" appealing.... as well as H&C's watercolor style....
I think its great that productions don't all follow the same trends of the moment in terms of art style.

The animation.... well, it would be nice if every episode got the same high standard treatment or at least spread the budget pain more evenly. The japanese solution of shorting entire segments (usually those with lots of exposition) works for them apparently. I guess the funniest version of that sort of thing is the stick puppet or shadowplay moments in some series. I'll ignore the "animation arrived and it sucked so bad we used a still frame but fixed it later in the DVD" Moon Phase moments
Old 2006-10-12, 10:19   Link #316
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Not everybody falls under your generalization.
I'm not saying that everyone does. Its just that you shall be getting people like that coming from all sides with what they have to say.. and they pretty much all say the same thing.
Old 2006-10-12, 10:23   Link #317
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang

Lyrics have been moved to a more appropriate place:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...d=1#post706147

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2006-10-13 at 22:53.
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 11:25   Link #318
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

I have to say, I really enjoy this show. Akiyuki Shinbo's style is quite awesome.

And, the OP... well, being different is a good thing, once in a while.

Anyway, all those desks reminded me of Jun-kun's dream world in episode 4 of Rozen Maiden, but maybe I'm just a little bit obsessed.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 12:16   Link #319
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
...Anyway, all those desks reminded me of Jun-kun's dream world in episode 4 of Rozen Maiden, but maybe I'm just a little bit obsessed.
Me, too. And I don't even like Rozen Maiden. I think it was intentional. Shinbou clearly loves to make references to other anime. And I really liked the OP. For one thing, it sent me back to the official site to look up all the pictures, names and numbers of the girls. However, they only have them from the old series, at least so far.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 12:27   Link #320
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Said it before said it again:

Negima right now is the best aspects of Dragonball Z and Hong Kong Wuxia (Martial-Chivalry) Films with just a slight dash of chaste-and-heartwarming romance that characterized Love Hina.

If Episode 2 onwards of the New Series keeps up the good work, we may have just that for the Anime Universe Too!! Yay!!
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote