AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-15, 00:12   Link #181
The Green One

Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-15 at 09:38. Reason: Added spoiler tag for novel comparison
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 00:39   Link #182
Eratas123

That orange haired turd was annoying:/ And why exactly did Diabel let himself die? Did he feel bad he was going to kill steal a coat? I'd say leading the group more than made up for it. Hell, he spent like 10 seconds chatting it up with Kirito. Why didn't he just shove the damn potion down his throat?
Old 2012-07-15, 00:56   Link #183
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
And why exactly did Diabel let himself die? ..... Why didn't he just shove the damn potion down his throat?
For the reason Diabel "let himself die", it's because the GM said in the beginning that "Revival items do not exist". His HP was already at 0 anyway, so a normal healing potion wouldn't do anything. Diabel probably didn't want Kirito to 'waste' his healing potion because of that.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:01   Link #184
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Hah.

Am I the like the only one here who thought episode 2 was better than episode 1? I thought episode 1 was a bit slow for much of it and didn't do enough to catch my interest.

Here I thought they integrated you well into the story and provided nice drama.

Then again I don't read the LN, so I'm not going to be one of the typical people complaining about how they didn't adapt absolutely every detail from the LN.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:08   Link #185
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
How is reaching a higher level in the beta considered cheating?
It's not. But using that knowledge to your advantage in the real game -- getting to the good quests ahead of everyone and taking the best monster hunting zones while not using your knowledge to help n00bs -- is, especially when lives are on the line. Cactus Head does have a point -- the way Kirito (and apparently the other beta testers) ran off on the first day really killed the chance of organizing a single army to clear the game.

I mean, Klein's an experienced RPGer, but he needed Kirito to show him how to activate Sword Skills, so you have to figure a lot of the first month deaths were caused by players not knowing how to fight in SAO. If the beta testers had stayed behind some of the 2000 deaths might not've occurred.

Spoiler for Casualty data from the novels:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
She didn't even know that when guilding with others her name get revealed to them. That's about the noobest thing there is.
Partying. We haven't seen a guild yet.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:09   Link #186
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

It's an adaptation, not a translation. Some things need to be cut out. At the end of today, most things cut from Aria were things the story could live without. The core. The essential elements of the story were kept, and i think they did a good job.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:09   Link #187
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

I'm also a non LN reader, and I enjoyed it immensely. Plenty of action. The only thing I see as a drawback is they indeed didn't leave much room for Kirito/Asuna interaction.

Ahwell, always next week.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:09   Link #188
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
@Kyp275: Most people are annoyed at the leaving out of what we feel is important details about the two lead's motivations among certain other things that will vary from person to person.
I understand that sentiment completely, it's completely natural to feel that way as a fan of whatever work is being adapted to the screen, as it's inevitable that stuff will be cut, and it's also inevitable that you're never going to agree with what gets cut.

I guess the point I wanted to make is that this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, and that people should judge the adaptation on its own merit as a separate entity. Concentrating too much on what's in and what's not probably won't do much to help you enjoy the anime either.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:17   Link #189
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I guess the point I wanted to make is that this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, and that people should judge the adaptation on its own merit as a separate entity. Concentrating too much on what's in and what's not probably won't do much to help you enjoy the anime either.
Obiouvsly I can't speak for others, but that reasoning would work fine for me at least if the episode wasn't lacking in shoring up Asuna regardless of the base material. (and she is an important character, so her introduction matters)
Old 2012-07-15, 01:26   Link #190
dark998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Hah.

Am I the like the only one here who thought episode 2 was better than episode 1? I thought episode 1 was a bit slow for much of it and didn't do enough to catch my interest.
Episode 2 was indeed far better than the first one. I can understand the novel readers complaning about X or Y thing being omitted, but the complaints about a "quality drop" are odd. Episode 1 was not particularly impressive in terms of visuals, action or anything.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:26   Link #191
Eratas123

Wasn't his health still draining? I was under the impression that applying the potion would at the very least stop the drain.
Old 2012-07-15, 01:32   Link #192
Rovert10

Quote:
Wasn't his health still draining? I was under the impression that applying the potion would at the very least stop the drain.
I think this was a hiccup with the adaption

Spoiler for comparison to the novel:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-15 at 09:40. Reason: Added spoiler tag for novel comparison
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:36   Link #193
kujoe
from head to heel

As a non-LN reader, it's pretty hard to make a comment regarding what has been omitted or changed, but I would still agree that the second epsiode itself is pretty well done. It has a good vibe right now, that if every episode from here on were just like this, I wouldn't even complain.

The first episode for me was like a tease of what I hoped would come, and I think the second episode delivers as far as actual impressions go.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:37   Link #194
noir senshi
Escapist Extraordinaire

As an anime-only watcher, I quite enjoyed the episode and SAO continues to impress me. The only problems I have with it are due to the fact that I like "kid show" endings where everything ends up nice and neat so I didn't like how Kirito had to assume the role of the bad guy and the Diabel guy was seen as the good guy in the eyes of the rest of the players.

In terms of developing a story, the two parts that I didn't like are all part and parcel of creating some tension and moving the plot forward. If it wrapped up so neatly then I guess we wouldn't have sucha great show on our hands.

As an anime-only watcher, I rate the episode 9/10. The episode was all action with no boring bits.
noir senshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:37   Link #195
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I haven't read the novels so I don't know how this episode compares to the source material. However, judging this episode on it's own merits I can say that I definitely enjoyed it. So far SAO is the best anime of the Summer season.
KleenexGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:38   Link #196
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I understand that sentiment completely, it's completely natural to feel that way as a fan of whatever work is being adapted to the screen, as it's inevitable that stuff will be cut, and it's also inevitable that you're never going to agree with what gets cut.

My sentiments exactly. However, some people just can't separate the two forms of media, or let the differences go.

I get the feeling that Diabel wanted out. I can't think of any other reason why he charged the boss on his own.

This was just the first boss.

Endless "Cream" Soul
Old 2012-07-15, 01:42   Link #197
Dark Wing

Quote:
The damage was already done to him was too high and that low rate potion wouldn't be able to restore enough health to save him.

Look at it this way.

You HP is around 1000, boss inflicts 1500 in damage, the little potion only restores a small amount say 200. The sad thing is had he been a member of a party he wouldn't have taking all of the damage since it is divided among your party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I get the feeling that Diabel wanted out. I can't think of any other reason why he charged the boss on his own.
He wanted to get the rear item that the boss was going to drop. He thought that he could not only get the item but come out looking like a hero. Now don't misjudge he really wanted to help but he messed up when it turned out the boss has different weapon and skill set then he thought.
Old 2012-07-15, 01:46   Link #198
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Does the cloak actually do something? Enough that Diadel would die to have it?

I mean other than making him look badass.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:50   Link #199
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post

I'd imagine like in any other RPG that armor and outfits you get changes your stats who wouldn't want something that'll give them an edge in battle.
Old 2012-07-15, 01:52   Link #200
Meltyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post

Some defense boosts and stuff, like other items would.
It's just different in that it's Unique, meaning no 2 of the items can be generated.

And this episode, while as a LN reader I hated the way the removed the prologue, it is not horrible overall.
It actually works well for a second episode, we get right to the chase and have a cool boss fight, as well as introducing some cool characters.
Especially Egil, I mean he looks unusually ripped for a real life gamer haha.
Kibaou is hilarious also, cause of his accent, fits just right in.
Diabel... ehhh I kinda think his character went a 180, but whatever.
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion