AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-12-11, 17:16   Link #1
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

After Earth (2013)

So Big Willy Style is back in another interesting movie and stars once again with his own flesh & blood Mr Jaden Smith. What do you guys think of Will re teaming with his son again in what looks to be an epic adventure/sci fi movie set 1000 years after Humans evacuated Earth?

Old 2012-12-12, 19:18   Link #2
james0246

Very good trailer. I loved the opening, very simple, but also quite effective (As Will Smith tried to control his son's breathing, I found myself synching with Smith's hand movements, until, quite suddenly, he is yanked away in a truly terrifying moment of surprise.) And the voice over, obviously used to hide the fact that Will Smith is hardly in the film, was a great way of providing sufficient exposition without giving away anything too important. I don't know what the film is really about (beyond a tale of a shipwreck and then survival), but I am very intrigued and optimistic.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 19:54   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Since this is an M. Night Shyamalan movie, I'll keep my expectation very very low so that I won't be hit by disappointment later on by whatever he brings on-screen.
Old 2012-12-12, 19:58   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Got the another link to the Trailer

NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 15:45   Link #5
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Since this is an M. Night Shyamalan movie, I'll keep my expectation very very low so that I won't be hit by disappointment later on by whatever he brings on-screen.
Well its not really an M. Night movie, it is simply being directed by him. Everything else, including the script was handled by others.

I think this movie will be fine. And heck, one thing I believe M. Night is good at for the most part is directing.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 16:10   Link #6
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The second I heard that Shyamalan was at all involved, my expectations for this movie dropped off the map. That guy has ruined enough movies to not expect him to pull anything solid off. Even if he's just directing I'm sure he'll find a way to screw it up.

Trailer looks nice enough, but this turned into a "watch it on Netflix" someday when I'm bored.
Old 2012-12-13, 16:56   Link #7
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Well its not really an M. Night movie, it is simply being directed by him. Everything else, including the script was handled by others.

I think this movie will be fine. And heck, one thing I believe M. Night is good at for the most part is directing.
I couldn't agree more once I heard he was just directing I wasn't to bothered and I doubt Will Smith would never let his son do a flop movie, this one has what it takes to be good at least mildly entertaining.

P.S. I liked Signs by Mr Shyamalan
Old 2012-12-13, 19:10   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:

Oh, he can be bad at directing too nowadays. Remember the scene in Last Airbender where Aang leads the rebellion in Earthbenders camp? All that weird blocking is bad directing at its finest. And it’s just one example out of many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizoku Keenan View Post
P.S. I liked Signs by Mr Shyamalan
Almost all people agree that the only great movies from Shyamalan are his first three outings: Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs. Even hard-to-please movie-critics like them.
Old 2012-12-13, 19:32   Link #9
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Because of this right?

Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 20:24   Link #10
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Oh, he can be bad at directing too nowadays. Remember the scene in Last Airbender where Aang leads the rebellion in Earthbenders camp? All that weird blocking is bad directing at its finest. And it’s just one example out of many.

Almost all people agree that the only great movies from Shyamalan are his first three outings: Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs. Even hard-to-please movie-critics like them.
Well I think most directors have their awful moments, I just generally find his directing ability to be generally good, even fantastic at times. And honestly, I think the avatar movie was more than just the fault of M. Night. That movie was so awful in almost every aspect, that it is nothing but a collective failure in my eyes.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 20:41   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
And honestly, I think the avatar movie was more than just the fault of M. Night. That movie was so awful in almost every aspect, that it is nothing but a collective failure in my eyes.
He produced, wrote, and directed that movie. So, at least 80% of everything bad in it (e.g. poor story & terrible execution) is his fault. The rest (20%) is the fault of the actors' bad acting (not all of them, only the MCs and some others).
Old 2012-12-13, 21:04   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Signs was a trainwreck of plotholes and implausibilities. Unbreakable was pretty good though.
Old 2012-12-14, 01:37   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Somethings bugged me, yes. But at least it’s not far worse than T-Rex breaking and entering silently without causing major damage to the building structure around him in the climax of Jurassic Park. The point is, almost all movies (especially the fictitious ones) have plot holes and a bit lack in logic (even Nolan’s Dark Knight movies has them) but plot-holes alone don’t break a movie.

If there’s one thing consistent about Shyamalan, that would be: each movie he made is worse than the previous one (so far). That’s why I’m kinda scared of this movie. Who knows, Night might redeem himself with After Earth or reach the new level of low previously held by Last Airbender. I myself like a good surprise.
Old 2012-12-14, 01:43   Link #14
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Watching a young wussy boy wet himself in an apocalyptic setting isn't really much of a hook. Maybe if they wrote that character out completely and focused on the adult Smith.

Though I'm so fatigued over the apocalypse aftermaths that everyone and their mother seems to want to envision the future as, that even if the movie wasn't focused on a kid I'm likely going to enjoy making fun of while watching-to the annoyance of my gf, I probably would still not be all googly-eyed over it.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 05:24   Link #15
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Because of this right?

Ok, I love Signs, one of my favorite movies.

And that video, the one in my quote, was fucking hilarious.

12/10 made me laugh. would watch again.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 05:58   Link #16
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
And that video, the one in my quote, was fucking hilarious.

12/10 made me laugh. would watch again.
Yeah, I have to agree with you and Kyero Fox here. I had a good laugh watching that video the first time around before it’s even posted here. I already DLed it some time ago.