AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-04, 05:39   Link #2641
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

I am still on my first playthrough, but its over 190 hours. Mainly a thief with a very slippery tongue, so I can talk my way out of everything I do. I did the thieves quests straight away as I really liked the quest line.

You should play what feels is the most fun to you. I made a thief because I like stealing things and being a nusiance , also I love talking my way out of things. So really choose what appeals to you, illusion archer is pretty cool idea.
Old 2012-05-04, 12:51   Link #2642
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agreed, play what is fun... and I have to admit some days I tend to spend more time designing a character or tinkering with mods than I actually *playing*. I'm bad about that (in MMOs especially... I spent a lot of hours seeing what the extensive housing in EQ2 could be made to do).

The spouse's shop expansion is:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12325

It just makes sense you'd be able to let your spouse sell your loot so this is almost a "who was on coffeebreak at Bethesda during the spouse discussions?" solution.

Oh, and if one is into "harem life" ... there's always the Polygamy mod (caveat: haven't tested it myself) - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9378

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-04 at 13:02.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 21:49   Link #2643
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'd like to make a character with these perks by level 60 (could change around, but will generally be like this). http://skyrimcalculator.com/#120855

Most perks will be in the stealth category. I wanna add some perks to one handed so that stealth attacks with daggers do more damage. Perks in the first one handed perk set will allow for deadlier stealth attacks with daggers, right?
Old 2012-05-04, 21:53   Link #2644
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I'd like to make a character with these perks by level 60 (could change around, but will generally be like this). http://skyrimcalculator.com/#120855

Most perks will be in the stealth category. I wanna add some perks to one handed so that stealth attacks with daggers do more damage. Perks in the first one handed perk set will allow for deadlier stealth attacks with daggers, right?
No... one-handed perks only apply when you're out of stealth. When in stealth - only then do the stealth perks apply and NOT the 1h perks. Its rather confusing and there's a lot of grumbling over it being an awkward design.

I just go ahead and spend some perks in 1H because once you attack, you're generally now out of stealth and may have to fight normally. But I'll dual wield daggers or a dagger +sword-in-left-hand.

Here's a more detailed answer that I found:
Quote:
Daggers are indeed faster, although I can't find a reference on how much faster. Everything (enchantments, perks, etc.) considered, I don't think there is a huge difference, so it should come down more to style.
Perks
The sword's
Backstab: 6x sneak attack damage with a one-handed weapon
Bladesman: 10/15/20% chance of doing critical damage with a sword (3 ranks)
vs the dagger's
Assassin's Blade: 15x sneak attack damage with a dagger
and both have
Armsman: +20/40/60/80/100% damage with a one-handed weapon
So there's a difference here, in that the perks favor different playing styles: daggers benefit from stealth and swords benefit from more all-purpose combat. If you're dual-wielding a dagger and sword, that shouldn't really matter as you can sneak attack with the dagger and follow up with both.
Speed
As you get better weapons, the damage difference as a percentage falls. For example, an Iron Sword deals 7 base damage vs an Iron Dagger's 4, which is 75% stronger. A Daedric Sword deals 14 vs the Dagger's 11, so only 27% more. Smithed to legendary, it's 24 versus 21, so only 14% difference. I don't know how much the crits from Bladesman add.
Also, because daggers are faster, they will be able to deal out on-hit damage from enchantments more quickly. If you're focusing at all on enchanting, you may want to consider that.
An actual sneak attack
In my experience, a standing dual-wielded sneak power attack with two daggers will connect and get the sneak bonus on the first two and maybe more (most enemies are dead by then). I can't tell whether that's up to 60x normal damage (15x from Assassin's Blade, 2x from Shrouded Gloves, 2x from power attack) or if there's some cap, but suffice it to say that if you planning to be very sneaky, not much will hold up to such an attack with two Daedric Daggers.
On the other hand, daggers do not benefit from several bonuses to swords. That includes Fortify One-Handed, Bladesman, etc. That includes silly things like the Nightingale Gloves.
Bottom line
If you don't plan to be seen often, I personally have stuck with daggers. My strategy for dealing with non-sneaking situations is falling back on magic. If you want more damage in face-to-face combat, of course, consider a sword, just keep in mind that the ideal equipment for sneaking is quite different than that for combat.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-04 at 22:10.
Old 2012-05-04, 22:08   Link #2645
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Got any recommendations for a light sword? Anything small.

If I drink an invisibility potion, I know I'll become visible once I attack. However, if I'm invisible and sneak up to an enemy, could I land a stealth attack on them? Or is it a weird design thing where it wouldn't land a stealth attack (perhaps a design choice to make the game not as easy).

I might invest in dual wielding and just carry two daggers around. I won't use one handed weapons much. I'll mostly use the bow. I'll rely on invisibility potions to flee when things get hectic.

If I get 5/5 in the first sneak perk and then put on a fortify sneak necklace and/or ring, will I be even harder to see?
Old 2012-05-04, 22:51   Link #2646
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Vanilla swords, not so much.... maybe the elven/glass swords (e.g. Chillrend). Mod swords.... well, I mostly go for appearance For appearances sake, nordic/celtic/roman shortswords, gladius... you can waste half an hour just browsing through the jaysus sword mod.
I rather like these daggers though: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12503

For me, its a bit of opportunism as I level up and preferred gear may change depending on what I'm going to fight.

Quote:
If I drink an invisibility potion, I know I'll become visible once I attack. However, if I'm invisible and sneak up to an enemy, could I land a stealth attack on them? Or is it a weird design thing where it wouldn't land a stealth attack (perhaps a design choice to make the game not as easy).
Invisibility doesn't muffle sound at all. That said, if you stay undetected until the blade sinks in you get the bonus. details:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Sneak

Quote:
I might invest in dual wielding and just carry two daggers around. I won't use one handed weapons much. I'll mostly use the bow. I'll rely on invisibility potions to flee when things get hectic.
That's what I do... though expect the invis to fail often unless you're also muffled when fleeing.

Quote:
If I get 5/5 in the first sneak perk and then put on a fortify sneak necklace and/or ring, will I be even harder to see?
Yes (I think). You can overskill with enchantments, etc. but apparently it isn't *always* a good thing -> (from a forum):
Quote:
if I have 100 points in light armor and I'm wearing a ring which gives me +12 to light armor, would it result in my Light Armor skill being 112
Yes. Your modified Light Armor skill is 112.
  • For armor skills, each point above 100 is another 0.4% increase to armor. (Mind the 567 armor rating cap).
  • For weapon skills, each point above 100 is a percent increase to damage.
  • For crafting, each point above 100 increases the outcome when skill is involved. (upgrading, enchanting, etc).
For the other skills, going above 100 may not produce the expected effect. Pickpocketing, in particular, may overflow and give lower chance of success than you'd have with 100 skill.
Old 2012-05-04, 23:15   Link #2647
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Vanilla sword? If you are after the best power-to-weight ratio, the best is actually the Nordic Hero sword, available for crafting at the Skyforge after you finished the Companions quest line. The NH sword is as light as iron sword but has the power of an Elven sword.
Before you finish the Companion quests, the Skyforge Steel sword you can get for free is almost just as good.

On that note, the Wolf Armour is the lightest heavy armour in the game. In short, the Companions quests offer both the best weapons and armour if you care about saving weight.
Old 2012-05-04, 23:49   Link #2648
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'm going to enchant different boots with muffle. It is just too good to pass up. I'll check out the sky forge steel sword. How do I get it? Just make a steel sword at sky forge? I'll probably go after a sword from the Jaysus mod later in the game.

Vexx, those assassin's daggers, do they all require human hearts?
Old 2012-05-05, 00:24   Link #2649
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I'm going to enchant different boots with muffle. It is just too good to pass up. I'll check out the sky forge steel sword. How do I get it? Just make a steel sword at sky forge? I'll probably go after a sword from the Jaysus mod later in the game.
You get a Skyforge Steel weapon of your choice for free after you officially joined the Companions, and can buy more of them from Eorlund , but you can't make them yourself.

And the Nordic Hero Sword is obtained by re-forging an Ancient Nord Sword you get from enemies. You can only reforge at the Skyforge after you finished all the main Companion quests completely.
Old 2012-05-05, 00:28   Link #2650
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Okay, thanks for the info.

Does anyone know how to install the game outside of program files? I don't think the installation gives me a choice of where to install the game. But someone said to install it outside of program files to avoid UAC problems.
Old 2012-05-05, 00:39   Link #2651
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Steam will install games where ever you have defined it to. All steam games will land in the same games folder. For example, my skyrim is installed in d:\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim since I set up my Steam on that drive.

If you've set up Steam with the defaults, you *can* move the installation (and all the games in it).
Here's the Steam instructions on doing that:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7418-YUBN-8129

I used those instructions a couple of years ago when I realized that all my games were ending up on the C: drive
Old 2012-05-05, 00:39   Link #2652
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Does anyone know how to install the game outside of program files? I don't think the installation gives me a choice of where to install the game. But someone said to install it outside of program files to avoid UAC problems.
Have a read of this Steam Support article.
In short, you'll have to move your Steam installation as well, but it's a fairly painless process.
Whilst the article states to delete everything except Steam.exe and the SteamApps folder, as a personal recommendation, it's probably best not to delete the userdata folder as well.
Old 2012-05-05, 00:40   Link #2653
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Okay, thanks for the info.

Move your Steam account out of Program Files. Though, to be fair, the default install path on today's most recent Windows operating systems should be Program Files (x86) and not the regular Program Files folder.

EDIT: Dammit, ninja'd.
Old 2012-05-05, 00:44   Link #2654
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Be sure and note that you DON'T delete the /steamapps folder -- you're *moving* it.
Old 2012-05-05, 01:07   Link #2655
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I didn't delete it, I moved it.

The mods make Skyrim great on PC, but all this jumping through hoops with PC gaming; I hate. I'm figuring this out as I go and installing things (had to reinstall) and it is taking well over an hour.

I do love the simplicity of console gaming.
Old 2012-05-05, 04:02   Link #2656
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

When you back up your Skyrim folder (the whole folder, right?) for when installing new mods, do I just copy/paste the entire folder?
Old 2012-05-05, 04:16   Link #2657
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh... console gaming makes me crazy (in a bad way, I hate it) but that's mostly a controller issue, I'd actually consider a console that came designed with a keyboard and mouse.

I'm going to be mostly gone for a week so everyone have fun. I tried the "War Chief gear" mod on my redesigned petite Lydia ... the stats are good for her but frankly I think it just looks damned cute on her small frame. Zephyr is doing another variation on her "Sahara Coastal Pirate" routine for now (combination of Khantu gear and Dark Wind mods with the I'hara 2hander).
Spoiler for Lydia's new war gear...:

edit (didn't see Urzu 7's question at first):
Quote:
When you back up your Skyrim folder (the whole folder, right?) for when installing new mods, do I just copy/paste the entire folder?
Yeah, I just copy the whole "skyrim" folder into a safe spot. After that I install the new mod. If it blows up irrevocably or whatever - then all I have to do is delete the broken skyrim folder and copy the backup folder back in. I turn off my Nexus Mod Manager while I'm deleting and copying (mostly for hazy paranoid reasons). When I restart the NMM, it reflects the proper situation then.

I should note I'm also using the TES V Savegame Manager 1.1 mod to help manage and backup the save-games for the different characters.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-05 at 04:43.
Old 2012-05-06, 10:08   Link #2658
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh... console gaming makes me crazy (in a bad way, I hate it) but that's mostly a controller issue, I'd actually consider a console that came designed with a keyboard and mouse.
With you there buddy.

Urza, you should of thought about where you installed steam , but steam is a very awkard program for not letting you choose where to install game files. Also its not just about the mods on the PC version, I got the game on the PC because the graphics create a much more immersive game and the controlls are so much easier, hotkeys and sorting inventory.
Old 2012-05-06, 10:29   Link #2659
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

That's it. I am changing my weapon enchantments.

Paralysis On Hit is nice in theory. But the small chance of the corpse glitching and causing the body to become unlootable is now annoying me too much. I now have a warhammer that have a fire and ice enchantment instead. No one would be immune to both at the same time, and I have my lightning spells as backup.

In the end, TES is about having fun while avoiding glitches.
Old 2012-05-06, 10:59   Link #2660
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That's it. I am changing my weapon enchantments.

Paralysis On Hit is nice in theory. But the small chance of the corpse glitching and causing the body to become unlootable is now annoying me too much. I now have a warhammer that have a fire and ice enchantment instead. No one would be immune to both at the same time, and I have my lightning spells as backup.

In the end, TES is about having fun while avoiding glitches.
Ah....*that's* what happened. Its only happened once but it had me scratching my head. I one hit crit para killed a random Nord that picked a fight with me and suddenly he was part of the background and unselectable. And yes, slowing them down and setting them on fire has more satisfaction...

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim