Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-17, 20:47   Link #2461
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
Yes Free! was probably developed even before Tamago Market was shown but trying to attract army of fangirls is not the answer.

..............Excuse me!?

I don't even watch Free! but calling a studio a "traitor" for trying something DIFFERENT is BEYOND idiotic.
Old 2013-07-18, 02:42   Link #2462
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Apparently, a lot of otaku are extremely shallow and narrow-minded.

If you don't like Free! because you couldn't get into it, the characters didn't appeal to you, or whatever, that's fine. But bashing it solely because it targets a different audience than the one you belong to is just stupid. And claiming it's the end of the studio because it tries to do something different is even more stupid.

Even Metallica had a reason for changing. At the time they became really popular, grunge was on the rise and thrash metal fell out of grace, so they became more radio-friendly and struck gold by tapping into an entirely new audience and experimenting a bit by crossing into (for them) unfamiliar territory. It may have cost them a few 'true' fans, but they gained a whole slew of new ones as well, more than they lost, judging by how everything after the Black Album topped the charts. Not all bands that tried this were so lucky.

KyoAni can end up the same way: lose a few fans, gain a whole lot more. And if fails, they still have trump cards up their sleeves, such as Chu2Koi, which has been their best-selling show since K-On!.
Old 2013-07-18, 03:03   Link #2463
Shyni

How can a studio "betray" people who don't work there or anything? Did they promise not to make this?
Old 2013-07-18, 04:18   Link #2464
Tenzen12

How can studio "betray" people who doesn't even pay for their product and just watch streams/ilegally downloading it?
Old 2013-07-18, 05:39   Link #2465
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

I don't exactly hate it, but I find Death Note to be extremely overrated.
Old 2013-07-18, 07:57   Link #2466
Eragon
Still Alive

^ Is it because the second half is so lame?

Last edited by Eragon; 2013-07-18 at 08:00. Reason: didn't like my original post :p
Old 2013-07-18, 18:47   Link #2467
RadiantSoul

I can't stand Neon Genesis Evangelion personally. I felt the show got significantly better when it started getting more depressing (I think episode 17 was the episode when the change first occurred, if I remember correctly). It may just be me, but having to sit through 16 episodes for the series to get good is unforgivable.
Old 2013-07-20, 08:16   Link #2468
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
I don't exactly hate it, but I find Death Note to be extremely overrated.
Death Note was interesting, but at the time people practically considered it the god of anime. Those were dark times indeed. I'm still haunted by the absolutely hilarious comparison between it and Code Geass to this day.

Death Note had a lot of good stuff going for it, primarily Light and the premise. I can see why it appealed to a Western audience as well, because the drama wasn't all the alien compared to a lot of crime dramas that get aired. Frankly, if having a terrible second half made it a bad anime I would be including Sword Art Online on my list of shows that I hated. I don't think Death Note was bad by any means, but I think there's more than enough room for people to not like it.

Quite frankly, I'm actually surprised that there aren't more people who dislike it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantSoul View Post
I can't stand Neon Genesis Evangelion personally. I felt the show got significantly better when it started getting more depressing (I think episode 17 was the episode when the change first occurred, if I remember correctly). It may just be me, but having to sit through 16 episodes for the series to get good is unforgivable.
I've always felt like Evangelion is one of those "like it or hate it" shows. As far as I've seen there are more than plenty of people who think it's terrible. Honestly, I don't like Evangelion. It's a jumbled plot strung together in some sort of maddening thing.
Old 2013-07-20, 16:42   Link #2469
Lyocol
Banned

I hate Free! too and I'm quite glad it's not popular enough to get its own subforum in Animesuki. I have nothing to say about it except just let its intended viewers, fujioshis alone to judge it. It's a crap anyway!

I'm not particularly hate this show but somehow K@Project K got into my nerves as well. First it had no idea who it want to serve best. I mean if most guys saw too many bishies for their liking but most female viewers found too many fanservice as well like Neko's scenes and lieutenant for examples. At the the female viewers got served little bit better as there's only total 3 female characters in the show while the rest are bishies. It was surprise to see this show actually listed as "shounen" for its genre. I'm not going to argue about where it supposed to belong but in my opinion if they really wanted to make "action show for girls" and why don't they make something like 07-Ghost instead?
Old 2013-07-20, 16:50   Link #2470
mistress_kisara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Sooo reaching to a female fanbase is being a traitor.

I need to never visit this thread again.
+1, Seriously this thread had died a few months ago an the same people are bumping it up over and over again
Old 2013-07-20, 17:02   Link #2471
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
^But the damage is already done. Traitor is a traitor, regardless he/she/they redeemed or not. I hate to say this but I don't think popular bands I mentioned before will change they styles just for sake of experiment. I don't any yaoi artists will start authoring yuri mangas anytime soon also for sake of experiment. For KyoAni's issue it's true they will milk money out of male otakus like they always did after Free! ended but their treachery is beyond unforgivable.

Perhaps I can understand why Dante Alighieri said why traitors reside in the center of Hell instead of greedy, horny bastards. This is one of them.
I don't really care if you hate Free. That's perfectly fine.

But now you hate the studio because OH NOES THEY DIDN"T MAKE SOMETHING YOU"D WATCH? Jesus CHrist, man, that's an idiotic reason.

And KyoAni will have something for you to fap over or go kyaaaaaaaa over the moe soon enough.

Fuck I hate people like you. You make me ill with your misogyny.
Old 2013-07-20, 18:27   Link #2472
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Anyway, I think the opinion about Free has been thoroughly attacked by just about everyone now, so if this thread is going to have a future, let's please just try to move on.

(Maybe it is a better idea to just reboot this thread with a better-stated premise, because "hating" anime is pretty silly in the first place, IMO.)
Old 2013-07-20, 19:43   Link #2473
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyocol View Post
I'm not particularly hate this show but somehow K@Project K got into my nerves as well. First it had no idea who it want to serve best. I mean if most guys saw too many bishies for their liking but most female viewers found too many fanservice as well like Neko's scenes and lieutenant for examples. At the the female viewers got served little bit better as there's only total 3 female characters in the show while the rest are bishies. It was surprise to see this show actually listed as "shounen" for its genre. I'm not going to argue about where it supposed to belong but in my opinion if they really wanted to make "action show for girls" and why don't they make something like 07-Ghost instead?
As much as I love K, I have to agree with you somewhat on the female characters, especially Awashima.

The woman's supposed to be the Vassal of the Blue King and doesn't do anything spectacular while mothereffing Fushimi gets the glory...

At least Neko was cool.
Old 2013-07-23, 13:33   Link #2474
Haruka Mori
○ Curious Dreamer ○

Hmm, I think I'm gonna say Rorouni Kenshin. I have watched parts of it, and it doesn't seem like such an amazing anime to me. And EVERYONE likes it. Especially my friends at School, they are always talking about it and sometimes, it makes me wanna go watch it completely but then again, I have some other anime I have to finish watching.

Other than that, I think that has been the only anime that I hate and everyone else liked.
Old 2013-07-23, 13:59   Link #2475
Eragon
Still Alive

You sure you just don't "like it"? From the tone of your post it doesn't seem like you hate it, per say? Maybe you are more annoyed at your friends for going on and on about it

*sigh* Why am I in this thread...
Old 2013-07-27, 04:45   Link #2476
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(Maybe it is a better idea to just reboot this thread with a better-stated premise, because "hating" anime is pretty silly in the first place, IMO.)
I'm not gonna bother digging up my old post from god knows where, but didn't I say those exact words like ages ago?

Not exactly hate, but I don't really enjoy Monogatari series or pretty much anything written by Nishio. I dislike the absurdly controverted speech patterns that just sounds odd, corny, and off - in Japanese of course. Some of that may be alleviated in translation, partially due to the fact translated text in general sounds off-put in the first place.
Had the same problem with Medaka Box as well, the dialogs and flat character actions/reactions were painful to read/watch.

However, Monogatari is a huge success, and there are many fans around.
I just don't like his style of "everyone in my world babbles nonsense" worldview.
Old 2013-07-27, 06:46   Link #2477
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I'm not gonna bother digging up my old post from god knows where, but didn't I say those exact words like ages ago?
I would almost call that complaint entirely pointless. It's borderline rare for someone to show actual hatred towards an anime they've mentioned. Most of the time it's a strong disliking at best. Just about every time I read posts here I find myself saying, "it doesn't even sound like you dislike it, as much as you disapprove of it very slightly."

Besides, I've probably made more friends from these two similar threads than any other thread on Asuki. As is often the case, this is one of those complaints that only appears when things get slightly out of hand.
Quote:
Not exactly hate, but I don't really enjoy Monogatari series or pretty much anything written by Nishio.

However, Monogatari is a huge success, and there are many fans around.
I just don't like his style of "everyone in my world babbles nonsense" worldview.
I was really into Monogatari when it first appeared, but I just couldn't finish it. A couple weeks ago I tried to do that, but I only got through about three episodes and then I stopped yet again. I had wanted to try and get into the new series, but I suspect I may drop it all permanently. I just can't bring myself to watch it.

For me I think it largely comes down to the characters. I think I just find Araragi devoid of any capability to entertain me. The rest of the cast too seems to suffer from this. There's just nothing there keeping me intrigued. It's a shame, too, because as you said a lot of people like that series.

Oh well.
Old 2013-07-27, 22:43   Link #2478
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I don't know why but I didn't like anything from Kyoto Animation starting with Full Metal Panic. Even I find myself like an outsider sometimes for not liking certain series everybody seems to like. I finished watching Full Metal Panic with an objective mind state but it just bore me and the villain feels too conspicuous and too serious to give a damn. Maybe I can't fully erase the general disinterest of mecha genre.

The only thing that remotely interested me from Kyoto Animation was Nichijou. It was just so surreal and random to make sense out of the story. The characters were simple and archetypal, they were just endearing. Anything else Kyoto Animation offers, I don't find any entertainment from any anime. The company is at master of setting the trend but when it comes to telling a compelling story, Kyoto Animation isn't the one for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Apparently, a lot of otaku are extremely shallow and narrow-minded.
Even Metallica had a reason for changing. At the time they became really popular, grunge was on the rise and thrash metal fell out of grace, so they became more radio-friendly and struck gold by tapping into an entirely new audience and experimenting a bit by crossing into (for them) unfamiliar territory. It may have cost them a few 'true' fans, but they gained a whole slew of new ones as well, more than they lost, judging by how everything after the Black Album topped the charts. Not all bands that tried this were so lucky.
If I was to compare band to the animation company. Metallica is like Kyoto Animation to me. Extremely popular and they are willing to experiment to the point of shunning the original fans and I find that admirable. However, in the field of technical and compositional skills, they seemed nothing special to me even in the Master of Puppet era at least without Cliff Burton. Their music writing is a bit boring and very conventional. Their solos I heard don't have that oomph factor that Megadeth had even before Rust in Peace era. And I have to say, Metallica is extremely lucky to last this long while changing their core music much to the point of Lulu.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 2013-07-27 at 22:54.
Old 2013-07-28, 07:10   Link #2479
TheBear9696
GarytheOtaku

One of the anime i wouldn't exactly say that i hate it just for the life of me can not get into it. I try to watch it knowing that it has romance which I like but when i go and actually put it on i cant help but watch one episode get up change it and try to forget about i just watched
Old 2013-07-28, 10:51   Link #2480
Shyni

Uh, you didn't mention the title...
Closed Thread