Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-02-21, 23:19   Link #1
AnimeFan188

What's Wrong With The Media?

5 Disturbing Reasons Not to Trust the News (From a Reporter):

"Growing up, I remember wondering why major catastrophes were relegated to just
inches of column space somewhere in the middle of the newspaper, while
knocked-up celebrities farting into a maternity gown would crack the front pages.
Then I started working as the editor of a U.K. tech news site at the dawn of citizen
reporting, social media, and the Web, and I realized that the gulf between the
newsworthy and the filler has been widened on an enormous scale. Here are just
some of the reasons journalism has gone (and continues to go) to shit:"

See:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20819...-reporter.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 23:30   Link #2
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

That article is an insult to the rest of the human race. Not everyone is devoid of critical thinking skills despite what the masses show.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 10:01   Link #3
jdennis007

Let me guess, the guy was a reporter for The Onion?
Old 2014-02-22, 19:48   Link #4
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
That article is an insult to the rest of the human race. Not everyone is devoid of critical thinking skills despite what the masses show.
An insult, yes, but I could see where he is standing.

But then, if the masses truly have good analyzing skill, then how could these type of stains of the journalist could exist?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 07:54   Link #5
monsta666

Most people have poor critical thinking skills and just believe what they want to believe rather than the actual truth. Furthermore people also have an inclination towards figures of authority so the appeal to authority meme will hold a lot of weight even if the institution is proven to be dishonest on numerous occasions. Another thing to bear in mind is that people often have a set of belief systems in how the world works and do not want those believes to be threatened or in some cases even challenged. That is why people often seek and stay on media sources that reflect their views. It is confirmation bias. It is this fact why certain papers maintain a set of core values so as not to alienate their audience.

Also as Fireminer already alluded to: if people have greater critical thinking abilities these dishonest media outlets would not exist. I would also add that being intelligent will not necessarily make you good at critical thinking. To me critical thinking is something tied closer to wisdom than intelligence.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 23:13   Link #6
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Let me counter this article with an article (Yes, it's the Onion, but it's still true):

Let Me Explain Why Miley Cyrus’ VMA Performance Was Our Top Story This Morning

Quote:
I don’t hesitate to call it stupid [BS] because we all know it’s stupid [BS]. We know it and you know it. We also know that you are probably dumb enough, or bored enough, or both, to click on the stupid bullshit anyway, and that you will continue to do so as long as we keep putting it in front of your big, idiot faces. You want to know how many more page views the Miley Cyrus thing got than our article on the wildfires ravaging Yosemite? Like 6 gazillion more.

That’s on you, not us.
At some point, we decided news should be a for-profit venture (TV news, at least, did not used to be so) and when you do that, then it inevitably declines into "do it on the cheap" which is why there are less fact-checkers and junk fluff pieces get passed off as news -- if you're under deadline to write x stories a day then that kind of stuff is going to happen.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 16:53   Link #7
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

They wouldn't "do it on the cheap" if people didn't "buy it on the cheap". We get what we want: cheap (free, financed by advertising...), and fast (remember last week's, or even yesterday's news? Are you still following up on that?).
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 21:17   Link #8
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

It's no different from how religions gained so much influence
Prey on people's hopes and fears, and cash in the rewards