AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 54 31.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 29.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 24.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 10.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-07, 12:26   Link #81
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
anyone whos seen the utawarerumono special ep with aruru would find this especially funny
Uguu~! Thats what I thought too!

Old 2006-10-07, 12:37   Link #82
SkyDragon
Addicted To Anime

I don't know but I kinda like "gao" better than "uguu".
Old 2006-10-07, 13:35   Link #83
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Whoa, wait, what?

::sigh:: This is what I hate about anime adaptations of Key stuff; everyone thinks they're beyond even reasonable criticism. As I said in my earlier post, it might be too soon to make judgements on the entire series, but it's not particularly insulting to point out that the female characters thus far don't even remotely act like how fifteen/sixteen year old girls would act. I swear, take ten years away from Key's girls and then you have their real ages...
You're looking at anime for realism? Especially one based on an ero game?

This isn't KGNE. It'll never be KGNE. And I don't want it to be like KGNE. I like it just the way it is thank you very much.

Some people are just too hard-assed to please.
Old 2006-10-07, 13:48   Link #84
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

No offense, I think you're being extremely touchy, given that in her first post she said she would probably love the series, and that she never even mentioned KGNE (which is not the anime I would cite if we're talking about uber-realism, anyway).
Old 2006-10-07, 15:11   Link #85
The Avatar
The Avatar of Death

I'll just post what I had in the generic thread:

Thank God for Kanon, I've actually been in a BIG anime rut for the past year, nothing I watched could get me back into the game. That is until I watched Kanon. I just saw the first episode and all I can say is wow. I don't know if it's the animation, the scenery, the characters, or the music, but there's something about it I really like. I might actually follow this show weekly. Ohhhhh I can feel the dead otaku within me coming back to life.

P.S. Does anyone else find themselves listening to the ending theme over and over and over again
Old 2006-10-07, 15:29   Link #86
problemedchild
ô_ô

Anyone notice the Canon D major playing in the backround while they were in the restaurant? The title of the song in German is Kanon und Gigue in D-Dur für drei Violinen und Basso Continuo. =D
Old 2006-10-07, 15:39   Link #87
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife
You're looking at anime for realism? Especially one based on an ero game?
Um, I don't see how pointing out that the girls don't act like human beings is demanding realism from an eroge adaptation. I'm not looking for anything, I just think it might be nice if the girls acted like, well, girls instead of idealized, saccharin six year olds.

This isn't to say I loathe them or anything--I'm already quite fond of Ayu--but I can't relate to them as people. They're more like cute little puppies at this point.

Quote:
This isn't KGNE. It'll never be KGNE. And I don't want it to be like KGNE. I like it just the way it is thank you very much.
Please point out where I said I wanted it to be like KimiNozo. I don't like KimiNozo, and I don't want Kanon to be like KimiNozo either. But KimiNozo is hardly the height of realism either, and it's not impossible for Kanon to be more realistic without it turning into KimiNozo.

Quote:
Some people are just too hard-assed to please.
Yeah, that's me, Ms. Demanding. You know having these ridiculously high expectations such as girls I can actually relate to. ::rolls eyes::
Old 2006-10-07, 17:20   Link #88
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I think that remarking that the Kanon girls act like cute puppies is going alittle too far. Geez, Mai wields a sword. Nayuki is a captain of a sports team. Makoto slugs Yuuichi. Kaori twists Jun around her little finger. These are not actions of cute puppies. They are acting like human beings.

Shiori's storyline is evident that she is not a cute puppy. Ayu is a sweet soul with a good reason to be dewy-eyed around Yuuichi, as does Nayuki.

musuoka, if you want a title that females act less traditional (or more Western). this is not it imo. Heck, you're in the wrong genre. You need to watch josei and shoujo titles with a modern setting, instead imo.

Well anyway, Kanon's titles have musical references too. Since, it was too much to retype, it's posted here along with the pics of Yuuichi's memory bell moments.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-07, 17:22   Link #89
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Quote:
Whoa, wait, what?

::sigh:: This is what I hate about anime adaptations of Key stuff; everyone thinks they're beyond even reasonable criticism. As I said in my earlier post, it might be too soon to make judgements on the entire series, but it's not particularly insulting to point out that the female characters thus far don't even remotely act like how fifteen/sixteen year old girls would act. I swear, take ten years away from Key's girls and then you have their real ages...
Because, as you know around here, REAL 15-16 year old girls are absolute whores. That anyone could as innocent and caring as some of the Key females is a completely foreign concept. Still I cannot say this is the case everywhere on the planet and that every 15-16 year old girl in the world is a whore, that would be putting my own bias against an entire world of diversity, and that would be unwise. I suggest that you also avoid using your own biases as a argument against a series.

Beside who would really want to want a harem show full of 'real' girls?
Old 2006-10-07, 17:25   Link #90
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemil828 View Post
Because, as you know around here, REAL 15-16 year old girls are absolute whores. That anyone could as innocent and caring as Key females is a completely foreign concept. Still I cannot say this is the case everywhere on the planet and that every 15-16 year old girl in the world is a whore, that would be putting my own bias against an entire world of diversity, and that would be unwise. I suggest that you also avoid using your own biases as a argument against a series.

Beside who would really want to want a harem show full of 'real' girls?
you deserve a cookie for that...very well said
well the reason we watch anime is to escape reality for a while and putting real girls would just crush that reason

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-07, 17:39   Link #91
musouka

Quote:
Because, as you know around here, REAL 15-16 year old girls are absolute whores. That anyone could as innocent and caring as some of the Key females is a completely foreign concept. Still I cannot say this is the case everywhere on the planet and that every 15-16 year old girl in the world is a whore, that would be putting my own bias against an entire world of diversity, and that would be unwise. I suggest that you also avoid using your own biases as a argument against a series.
So, what you're saying is, better stick to utterly non threatening six year olds so you don't scare the losers off, right?

EDIT: Okay, that's somewhat harsh. I can see the appeal of these girl-like creatures myself, but I don't appreciate my gender being called "whores".

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
musuoka, if you want a title that females act less traditional (or more Western). this is not it imo. Heck, you're in the wrong genre. You need to watch josei and shoujo titles with a modern setting, instead imo.
Now, here's a funny thing. I could have sworn this was the "Kanon Episode One" thread, where, you know, we discuss our thoughts on the first episode, not the series in general. You might have missed where I said not once, but twice that I wasn't judging the entire show, but just what I've seen of it. You also might have missed the part where I said I'd be happy to be proven wrong as the series progressed, but that AIR had made me cautious in that regard. And finally, I'm not sure you saw the part where I said I'll probably love Kanon anyway.

So as nice as it is for you to try to pick out what genres I should or shouldn't watch, there's really no need to concern yourself. I have it under control.
Old 2006-10-07, 17:59   Link #92
orion

Actually musouka, where I grew up the 15-16 yo now are acting in a not-so-nice way. Losers have nothing to do with it. Those girls beat up guys for money and get pregnant to be on child support. It's not a nice environment for guys to live in. They can't trust the females anymore. Even in certain areas where I live now, it's not safe either for a teen male. So, I can understand the word used by mikemil828 to describe those females in his area that he has access to.

Well brought up females are becoming very rare nowadays imo.

Also, this is a fantasy romance title. No comment from me about the six year old reference. Glad that you have it under control.
Old 2006-10-07, 18:05   Link #93
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Quote:
So, what you're saying is, better stick to utterly non threatening six year olds so you don't scare the losers off, right?
No what I think I am trying to say is that if you want 'real' girls, get off your butt and go on a date. See how you like that.
Old 2006-10-07, 18:05   Link #94
musouka

Well, I'm sorry to hear that there are girls like that in your area, but it still doesn't negate the fact that A) the Kanon girls can still be nice and sweet while also being more realistic, and B) it's not polite to generalize and call an entire gender "whores" at a certain age when you are speaking to someone of that gender, with the assumption that when I mean "more realistic", I mean "nasty", "rude", or "gets pregnant to go on welfare".

Also, in the general topic, you just got done talking about how Kanon would probably appeal to girls because it is a fantasy romance title. Well, if all of them are too busy beating you up and getting pregnant, I doubt they'll be too interested. Oh, and there's me, but I guess I'm not allowed to watch Kanon because there is a minor aspect that I think could be improved...

Quote:
No what I think I am trying to say is that if you want 'real' girls, get off your butt and go on a date. See how you like that.
Sorry, I don't really swing that way.
Old 2006-10-07, 18:23   Link #95
orion

Well, this is a genre that is aimed at the male population.

It can overlap with the female population because it is a fantasy romance title. It won't appeal to all females because it has game specific stereotypes. It will only appeal to females that are use to anime female stereotypes and also extremely tolerant females. Asking that the Kanon girls be more realistic is just not consistent with the genre.

However, they did make Yuuichi more attractive to females imo. So, that a nod towards the female viewers imo.

Most females in the area that I grew up in would not be interested in anime, so this title would not apply. Even where I live now, there isn't much interest in anime in both sexes. This is a niche hobby after all.

Actually, I have never been beaten up by any sex. I can sympathisize with what's happening in urban areas, though.

No one said that you're not allowed to watch this. Go for it.
Old 2006-10-07, 18:35   Link #96
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Quote:
Well, I'm sorry to hear that there are girls like that in your area, but it still doesn't negate the fact that A) the Kanon girls can still be nice and sweet while also being more realistic, and B) it's not polite to generalize and call an entire gender "whores" at a certain age when you are speaking to someone of that gender, with the assumption that when I mean "more realistic", I mean "nasty", "rude", or "gets pregnant to go on welfare".

Also, in the general topic, you just got done talking about how Kanon would probably appeal to girls because it is a fantasy romance title. Well, if all of them are too busy beating you up and getting pregnant, I doubt they'll be too interested. Oh, and there's me, but I guess I'm not allowed to watch Kanon because there is a minor aspect that I think could be improved...

Sorry, I don't really swing that way.
Ah, so you must then be one of those real girls (wouldn't have thought a girl would be all the interested in a harem show like Kanon, at least not enough to come here and complain about it), then what IS your definition of 'more realistic'? The problem with saying that something isn't realistic is that what one thinks as realistic varies from person to person. You seem to say that no 15-16 year olds girls would have personality traits like 6 year old girls, however in my experience the Kanon girls just simply don't act like six year olds girls, both lacking a six year old girl's materialistic nature and their dislike of guys. However I HAVE seen plenty of materialistic 15-16 year olds girls in my lifetime....
Old 2006-10-07, 18:40   Link #97
orion

Kanon's not really a harem title. Only appears that way because all the girls' paths are in the anime and this version seeks to incorporate them all instead of dropping them as soon as their paths are done like in the original version. Definitely, not a comedy either. Maybe this point should be said in the FAQ thread.
Old 2006-10-07, 18:46   Link #98
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Kanon's not really a harem title. Only appears that way because all the girls' paths are in the anime. Definitely, not a comedy either. Maybe this should be said in the FAQ thread.
Didn't say it was comedic. However in retrospect 'harem' is bad term to use to describe Kanon. I shall settle with 'Tragic Romance' How's that?
Old 2006-10-07, 18:48   Link #99
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

On a related note... IMO it's selling Kanon (as well as works like AIR and Planetarian) short to suggest that it can't or shouldn't appeal to females.
Old 2006-10-07, 18:54   Link #100
DanielSong39

I admit to being a bit disappointed by the first episode, and found the girls' characterizations to be rather flat...

With that said, it's a bit early to draw a big red X through this series and claim that the girls are six-year-old dolls. Well, maybe Ayu, but they did tone down her act somewhat.

The first episode does not always make or break a series, though it is a good indicator. Canvas 2 had a very promising start but started to fizzle somewhat in the middle. Da Capo was a bit weak at the start but provided some excellent drama near the end. As for Kanon I think it will turn out to be a middle-of-the-road work with great special effects, not unlike AIR.

Last edited by DanielSong39; 2006-10-07 at 22:16. Reason: grammar
Closed Thread