AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-20, 10:09   Link #1
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
Something similar to Ergo Proxy (that's complete), or...

Just any show in general with suberb art, and style/ well done cinematography. It seems I tend to hold a bias towards older shows because they look outdated ( ), but at the same time if a show like Ergo Proxy comes along, I'm very appreciative if I can see that the animation was actually chorographed and given thought. It doesn't have to have fancy camera changes, slow motion, motion blur, etc. so if you know of a show that just has great animation quality and you just want to reccomend it, go for it. I'll have to warn you that i'm not a great fan of Mech, though....but hey, Ergo Proxy made me take a baby step towards sci-fi (which I'm far from the biggest fan of), so I bet I could surprise myself.

Some of the popular shows that I've already seen are:

Champloo
FMA/Naruto/Bleach
FMP.

I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Name anything like Ergo Proxy or that sounds like I'd like, and when I remember more shows that I've seen, I'll edit this post. Thanks in advance. Hopefully there's a lot of stuff I haven't looked at. Liscensed/Unliscensed is fine. I figure if it's complete, DVDs are out.
Old 2006-03-20, 11:17   Link #2
jedinat

The first three episodes of Ergo Proxy haven't impressed me too much... I mean some of the animation it pretty good, but it's not all that great.

Anyways... nice art and animation and such...
Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, though they're a few years old.
Juuni Kokuki and Hellsing, a couple years old...
Blood+ is ongoing right now and has nice animation.

Animation aside, all of those are just plain better than Proxy...
Old 2006-03-20, 11:38   Link #3
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

I think Texhnolyze conveys that mind-boggling, head scratching, bathroom sink lurking depressing futuristic setting on point. Definitely one you should check out. But its liscenced, soooo
I can't help you.
Old 2006-03-20, 12:58   Link #4
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Monster?
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex?
Serial Experiments Lain?
Old 2006-03-26, 15:23   Link #5
NarutoHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectarVR
I think Texhnolyze conveys that mind-boggling, head scratching, bathroom sink lurking depressing futuristic setting on point. Definitely one you should check out. But its liscenced, soooo
I can't help you.
Hahahahaha. Wow. The way you describe it alone makes me want to check it out. I looked @ some art for it, and it looks intruiging. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie
Monster?
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex?
Serial Experiments Lain?
I've seen Monster (didn't finish it. IT's HUGE).
Same with Serial Experimental. I was hoping for the off style of it all to catch on to me, but it was too quiet.
Ghost in the Shell, I haven't seen. I probably will see it, actually. If I end up liking Ergo Proxy, I'll check out Ghosts for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
The first three episodes of Ergo Proxy haven't impressed me too much... I mean some of the animation it pretty good, but it's not all that great.
Hahahaha. That's too bad.

Blood + actually looked pretty cool. Is it near completion? Thanks guys.
Old 2006-03-27, 03:16   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoHead
Blood + actually looked pretty cool. Is it near completion?
It is scheduled to go for 52 episodes. It's barely half-way there.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-03-28, 10:44   Link #7
Legato_C

O_o

wow, 52 eps?! I'm also looking for a anime like Ergo, thanks for the topic I'm taking baby steps to anime that makes me think XD
You can try Street Fighter Generations movie, smooth fighting. And the others on my mind you probably already saw (havent been looking for new anime lately hehe)...
Old 2006-03-30, 00:41   Link #8
NarutoHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legato_C
wow, 52 eps?! I'm also looking for a anime like Ergo, thanks for the topic I'm taking baby steps to anime that makes me think XD
You can try Street Fighter Generations movie, smooth fighting. And the others on my mind you probably already saw (havent been looking for new anime lately hehe)...

No problem. Sometims when I don't even know what I want, I glance at titles of threads already made here and pick and choose

I watched about 2-3 episodes of Texhnolyze so far, and it's wierd, quiet, and good. This one will keep me busy for a while, I hope.

As for Blood +, 52 episodes is a long ways away, so It looks like I'm going to try some more things from this thread.

How was Witch Hunter Robin? Does it fit the descritpion of what I was looking for?

Last edited by NarutoHead; 2006-03-30 at 01:17.
Old 2006-03-30, 01:14   Link #9
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Slow your roll a little bit OK ...You wanna watch something like Ergo proxy and you haven't finished watching it yet...We still don't know fully what Ergo Proxy is gonna turn out being...It's only 4 episodes deep so it's hard to totally compare...So far GITSSAC (Ghost in The Shell Stand Alone Complex) seems to be somewhat comparable (Although much more episodic an sporadic then i think Ergo Proxy will ever be)...Female agent solving cases involving cybernetic-cyborg-android types...So from that aspect GITSSAC is the closest...I highly suggest you watch this series because it's one of the best series in all of anime (Visually one of the greatest series ever, hands down)...

As for Witch Hunter Robin, I'm not sure it's what you are looking for...It is great visually (Animated by the same people who do Ergo Proxy), especially the backgrounds, but it doesn't really have that layer of suspense that shows like Ergo proxy and GITS seem to have (It's not even as gloomy or dark to me for some reason as Proxy)...It really is a very slow paced program and I don't think it captures your attention like Proxy does...I mean there's so many episodes where almost nothing happens and plot points are revealed at a methodical and creepish pace...

Unlike alot of people I actually like the final episodes and the revelations we find out about Robin's birth, but just not all the crap you have to sit thru to get to it...This is coming from somebody who was really hyped up prior to watching it...I mean I read every article and saw all the animation profiles and thought it would be one of the greatest series ever and it just didn't come close to meeting that, but if you only care about great animation it does have that...It also has some really good action in spots...Oddly enuff though it doesn't seem to be close to as intriguing as Ergo proxy (So far)...
Old 2006-03-30, 01:42   Link #10
stretch87
Anime Addict

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex should be at the top of your list for sure. it has some of the best animation around, and the plot does not disappoint
Closed Thread