Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-06, 23:55   Link #41
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
It looks Akagi had both abilities that made him so annoying for me. YMMV.
That was kind of the point. In the words of Anonymous,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Akagi is about dominating games you're good at, Kaiji is about surviving games you're bad at.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 02:26   Link #42
Mentar
Banned

That was unexpectedly interesting IMHO. Book me a passage on the ship for a while...
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 08:24   Link #43
kevin13
Disabled By Request

First thoughts:

Spoiler for Kaiji Episode one:

Oh well, this looks pretty interesting I think, I'm definitely interested enough to want to know how it turns out.
kevin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 11:42   Link #44
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
What a screwed up joke of a game

I echo the words of "interesting" when it comes to the first ep of this series. Now we need to see how good is kaiji at memorising things

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 13:08   Link #45
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I think you're the first person I know of that didn't like (or at least respect) Akagi's character.
I think there are quite a lot of people who don't like his type.

Quote:
after one ep, anyway, which is no way to judge an anime
Actually, most people judge most anime after exactly zero episodes. They go to andib, look at the pretty picture and and the genre list and say "Ugh, I think I won't like this." I try to peek into as much as possible (if it's not for the youngest viewers or a sequel of something I already dismissed) and then I might say "Ugh, I think I won't like this." So what is better?

And from experience I can say that a series seldom surprises me after episode one enjoyment-wise. I couldn't name a recent series that started meh and ended stellar in my eyes. But there are a lot of series, as different as Skull Man and Potemayo which totally surprised me in epsiode one. So I prefer to stick to this approach, watch as much as possible and hack them down after one, two, three epsiodes. I have a life after all.

Quote:
IIt wasn't the fact that Akagi had superhuman genius that made him an appealing character, since obviously it's not difficult for a writer to have him make the right moves and credit it to a manufactured "genius". It was his attitude, the fact that his approach to the game was balls-to-the-wall, play with reckless abandon and do whatever you have to do to win (cheating included). It was the fact that he had no regard for the consequences of his actions that made him so fascinating as a character...
In other words he is an archetypical shounen character and I don't like this kind of character. It's as simple as that.

Back to Kaiji.
Old 2007-10-07, 15:46   Link #46
Kanos
Milk...

Send a message via MSN to Kanos
Has anyone seen "Liar game"? I somehow feel that this anime will be very similar to Liar Game. Yes i do realize it's around the same idea, but if this anime ends up anything like Liar game, then people who are only following the anime is in for a real treat
Kanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 17:08   Link #47
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
In other words he is an archetypical shounen character and I don't like this kind of character.
Sounds to me like you just hate popular anime.
Old 2007-10-07, 19:19   Link #48
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Sounds to me like you just hate popular anime.
I have been accused of worse crimes in my life, really. The 2007 anime I like most can be found in my sig for the whole world to see. Apart from that, I can't remember Akagi having been that popular but I'm too lazy to go to animenfo and count reviews for this one compared to Shana or Noein, say, which come immediately to my mind as popular 2005 anime.

You see, this is a forum for Japanese animation in its whole, encompassing stuff as different as Shigurui, Moetan, Mononoke, and Les Miserables. Some tolerance is required towards other people's tastes and distastes or this nice place will go down in flames. Just because somebody doesn't share your tastes doesn't mean he's retarded, inexperienced, or hates "popular anime" just for the heck of it. So peace. OK? OK.
Old 2007-10-08, 00:50   Link #49
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I understand that.

What I picked up on was that you called Akagi a "shounen" protagonist. Be aware that there are derogatory connotations with that word around anime forums as of late, flinging it around recklessly will attract the ire of people looking for a fight. I'm too old for that stuff so I'll just settle for sarcastic one liners. >__>

"Shounen" is a demographic anyway, it's not exactly correct to say characters are "shounen protagonists" but rather, "have characteristics common to shounen protagonists", of which I would argue Akagi has little if anything in common outside of the magical plot device of "genius" that makes him interesting enough to have a story written about him.
Old 2007-10-08, 04:41   Link #50
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
What a screwed up joke of a game
Is it? I don't think so at all... because by linking the decisions to a limited number of cards, you turn an entirely random game into one where you can gather and use information.

To be honest, I find this intriguing. Let's assume for example that each player gets 6 fixed cards, and the first player to win 10 rounds will be the overall victor. Then a player with brains and the ability to

1) track the cards of the opponent and
2) to adjust his picks to the information about the opponent's remaining hand

will definitely have a significant advantage over someone who just randomly picks and plays.

I suspect (hope) that the inherent strategy which is going to develop out of these rules will be demonstrated in the next ep.

Very very interesting.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 21:14   Link #51
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I found the first episode intellectually interesting, but I can't find any characters to empathize with. If there aren't any sympathetic characters soon (Kaiji's definitely not one for me so far), I can't say I'll be sticking with this one no matter how much it might appeal to my intellect.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 13:17   Link #52
gianna
gigi

HOLY SHIT EPISODE TWO WAS AWESOME
I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for Kaiji lol
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 13:18   Link #53
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Gianna: I agree!!!!

Just watched ep 2
omg the later half was amazing, loved it. Kindda disappointed on the first half before the janken game starts.
Spoiler for ep2:

Honestly, too many good scenes were cut out in the anime ;_;
I know I know, anime is anime and manga is manga. It's pointless to compare each and everything, but I really hoped at least these were present TT:
Spoiler for scenes cut from the manga:

Ookay, NOW Kaiji is beginning to wake up to his gambling abilities.
I still consider the show's gonna be great,and very smart for the eps to come . Just the lecture turned me down.
Until next week!
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 13:29   Link #54
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 2:
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 13:42   Link #55
gianna
gigi

Same for me too -- Tonegawa's scene and VA were pretty boring
And I realized his Fuck you being changed to shut up (from all the comments)

I haven't read the manga (yet...) so thanks for all the information you keep providing!

Spoiler for scenes cut from the manga:

lol May I ask if any of the rumors were actually found to be true later in the manga
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 14:05   Link #56
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianna View Post
lol May I ask if any of the rumors were actually found to be true later in the manga
Spoiler:
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 14:53   Link #57
ruurguy

Episode 2 was pretty good, can't wait to see what 14 million yen, 5 cards and 4 stars can do though. If they win every gamble I suppose they could accumulate 9 stars and survive, but that doesn't seem like the likely path, since money is part of the resources here. Is restricted janken the only game that gets played while on this cruise for all four hours or will it have other games too? I suppose they could try to find someone with 3 stars and buy their cards with the money, and accumulate stars which they might be able to sell at a higher price. Interesting stuff, i'm pretty excited to see how this goes.
ruurguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 15:45   Link #58
USCPharmacist

Quote:
Originally Posted by luniz View Post
sounds lame to me to be honest. a lazy hero, great. why should i care about a lazy slacker who has a mysterious talent that he only uses to save his rear?
OOOOO troll!!!!
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 16:41   Link #59
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 17:04   Link #60
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

First episode got me interested, 2nd got me hooked. Kaiji is the anime to watch this season for me.

They turn a game of Jankenpon from a game of chance into a game that not only pit against your memory but your wit and psychology. Can't wait to see what Kaiji and co got up their sleeves next episode.

Unique, clever and inspiring especially when Kaiji thought back about his life after getting slapped. Letting other people decide for you is usually the fastest way to lose in life.

Tags
drama, gambling, seinen