AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-06, 12:07   Link #41
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
But some of the little things that make Kaiji S1 rank in the top echelon of anime I've watched are not there in S2.
...too many conclusions after one single episode that didn't even touch what this season's about, no?
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 12:12   Link #42
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
...too many conclusions after one single episode that didn't even present what this season's about, no?
I've read up on the source manga and have a fair idea of what to expect?

As for the 'little things', they were there in S1 Episode 1 - in droves. So since there is a precedence, it's not unreasonable to hope for them again.

Don't get me wrong - so far Kaiji S2 is doing more for me that anything from January did. By a long way.
Old 2011-04-06, 13:50   Link #43
Gooral
Banned

It was great! Over 20 minutes flew by in a moment, I was thinking that only 5 minutes passed when I saw the ending. Only Kaiji is capable of altering time. Kaiji is the equivalent of Chuck Norris in anime world .

Seriously though, suspense here is great and you get emotionally involved in the characters, whether you want it or not. And the ending is epic.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 17:10   Link #44
InitialGT

Wow kaiji 2 just blew my mind
InitialGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 17:17   Link #45
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Haha, I was laughing so hard when he couldn't resist the chicken. Poor, dumb Kaiji. He's gonna be here for a long time. Now they're gonna trick him into playing a retarded game stacked against him again I believe. Lol, you never learn do you?

No.1 rule in this show... trust nobody.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 18:13   Link #46
Echoes

Damn. This episode was good, so damn good. Too damn good.

If I were in a forced labor camp and was offered new episodes of this show in the same way Kaiji was offered food and snacks, I'd definitely indulge and waste all my hard-earned cash just to find out what's about to happen a little bit sooner.

Waiting for this will be a strenuous task. It's rare that a show is so damn good it makes watching it a bitter-sweet experience.

This art is just beyond awesome. Kaiji's expressions are pure gold.

It is a little sad to see that Kaiji fall so hard and so far after going through all those hardships, but that's also what makes the show great. It doesn't pull any punches, it's gritty and sleazy all the way. And I love it.
Old 2011-04-06, 18:45   Link #47
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I am still befuddled how Kaiji is such a tactical and strategic genius and yet he is confined working in a convenience store and now a gambling junkie. It's like he is only truly himself when he is pushed near the brink.
That's pretty key to Kaiji's character. He's a fuck up. The man is brilliant, but he has trouble using his intelligence. He is lazy! He often jumps to errors because he isn't patient enough think the entire thing through. He believes his fellow man will act the same way he does. He has an addictive personality. These are serious flaws that keep him from succeeding despite his tremendous gifts.

Only when Kaiji is on the brink does he become careful enough to overcome his own flaws. Only when he is desperate does he live to his full potential.

Sometimes, even on the brink does he fall down. Remember the very end of season 1? He could have won that. He thought he had the perfect plan, but when it failed he fell apart and decided to trust in god. Instead he could have thought through things carefully and won anyway. He was smart enough to figure it out if he had only tried. That was another case when he failed himself.

I suppose that's why Kaiji is such a riveting show. The man may be brilliant, but he is terribly flawed. We cheer him to overcome those flaws and grasp for the greatest triumphs to beat himself and the bastards who rule his world. If he was perfect like Akagi he wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 20:17   Link #48
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

But that's the appeal though, isn't it? Kaiji is engaging because despite sending himself to the brink of oblivion, he always pulls himself out of it in spots no one else could get out of. Essentially Kaiji is in a battle of man vs. world at its extremes. It's the will of the human spirit and its perseverence against the odds that makes it enthralling along with its black humour.
Old 2011-04-06, 21:37   Link #49
Psycho_Kenshin

Kaiji season 2 off to a compelling start! Very well done, things are dark for our guy Kaiji. Wanna see him get free, get that money to help Ishida's wife, get revenge, etc! Can't wait for mo'.
Old 2011-04-07, 04:24   Link #50
akaimeko

super DRY&yakitori

Was the desire feeling to the "Asahi super DRY" transmitted to you?

Last edited by akaimeko; 2011-04-07 at 07:48.
akaimeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 05:54   Link #51
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

The reason why Kaiji is special is his ability to use his opponents' tricks and cheats against them.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 07:47   Link #52
Peanutbutter

Watching Ep 1 makes me wanna rush out, buy some fried chicken, potato chips and cans of coke (I don't drink), and rewatch it again while eating everything.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 13:04   Link #53
Blaat

I must say the "zawa zawa" aren't as good as they were in the first series still it's good to see Kaiji again, can't wait till the second episode.
Old 2011-04-07, 13:11   Link #54
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I must say the "zawa zawa" aren't as good as they were in the first series still it's good to see Kaiji again, can't wait till the second episode.
Heh, yeah, female "zawa zawas" might take some getting used to. I'm sure they'll grow on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Watching Ep 1 makes me wanna rush out, buy some fried chicken, potato chips and cans of coke (I don't drink), and rewatch it again while eating everything.
It really did make me appreciate the snacks and soda I had sitting on my desk while watching, that's for damn sure.
Old 2011-04-08, 02:13   Link #55
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I suppose that's why Kaiji is such a riveting show. The man may be brilliant, but he is terribly flawed. We cheer him to overcome those flaws and grasp for the greatest triumphs to beat himself and the bastards who rule his world. If he was perfect like Akagi he wouldn't be nearly as interesting.
I totally agree. The thing though, is that if you look at Kaiji from an outside perspective, he is a leech and a scumbag. It's not even just the way he is a slob otherwise, but always resorts to the lowest common denominator in making a living, even fully knowing that he has to tangle with dangerous thugs and conmen to get anything.

Also, I love how Kaiji is a VERY sore loser. Sometimes I don't even cheer for Kaiji to win sometimes. Half of the fun with him is that it's also pretty fun to see him fail.

And yeah, as much as I liked Akagi, the character was too godlike and didn't really have any depth or realism to him.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 02:23   Link #56
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Also, I love how Kaiji is a VERY sore loser. Sometimes I don't even cheer for Kaiji to win sometimes. Half of the fun with him is that it's also pretty fun to see him fail.
Not me. Even though he is such a loser of a human being, he's still such a miserable underdog that I cannot help cheering for him to win.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 03:51   Link #57
Echoes

Plus he really is a good guy when push comes to shove. He's not scum, just a massive slacker/hapless fool.
Old 2011-04-08, 07:20   Link #58
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Plus he really is a good guy when push comes to shove. He's not scum, just a massive slacker/hapless fool.
Exactly. Even though Kaiji's a complete loser, he's also a very kind-hearted guy. I find him very hard to dislike despite his many flaws (laziness in particular).
Old 2011-04-12, 12:08   Link #59
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Episode 2 showed the OP, and while it was pretty quick, it was pretty cool to see Ichijyo and some of the others come to life.

Spoiler for Episode contents:

I'm really loving the music they're giving this gamble. I didn't think this was really a lively scene in the manga, but the music gives the anime a really unique and fun atmosphere. Also, the colorful metaphors are now beginning to fly; just what you'd expect from Fukumoto.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 18:12   Link #60
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
ANDOUUUUUU!!!!

Sorry, that has nothing to do with anything, but I wonder if he's gonna run into that kind of situation again. Most likely.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen