AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-01-09, 22:29   Link #1
xavier8200

Can not open files. I need some help.

Hey everyone, I am running windows XP home edition and tried installing norton antivirus 2006. The program was downloaded and used for an install. Everything went fine, the install loaded and the verification code was keyed in correctly. The program did some computer scanning and decided to restart the computer.

When the computer restarted and loaded windows, the files were all in their correct location on the desktop and throughout the hard drive but I can not open any files or programs. The icons are not even loaded the icons are blank icons. I tried putting an external hard drive to the computer but it is not recognized. I ran a repair on windows and loaded the original settings but still nothing.

Does anyone know what this problem is or how to fix it? Please let me know of any ideas that can help. I would be very appreciative. Thanks for your time.
xavier8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 22:36   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

If you try to load a file, what happens? Give us any error messages that you receive. And when you say "the program decided to restart the computer" did the program prompt you for a restart, or did the computer just suddenly reboot during the scan?
Old 2006-01-09, 22:41   Link #3
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier8200
Hey everyone, I am running windows XP home edition and tried installing norton antivirus 2006.
Did you download this from the official Norton site (symantec.com)?
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 22:45   Link #4
Renyulb28
Helpful Bystander

hey i may have your fix. I recently just something similar, and when I logged on it gave an error message saying "This application (refering to explorer.exe) has failied to start becuase WININET.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem." That's an important file for networking/internet stuff. It's supposed to be in your C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder There is another copy of it on your system in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and in the i386 folder in the C drive. When you start up your computer and get to your blank background, hit control-alt-delete to bring up the task manager. Then go to file-new task (run) and go to browse. Then go into the i386 folder and find the WININET.dll file, and copy that into the C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder. After doing this your computer should be fine and you should be able to start new task of explorer.exe, or just restart and it'll be fine.
Renyulb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 23:01   Link #5
xavier8200

The message that I get is "file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel."

To ledgem: The program finished the scan and then prompted me for a restart which I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
Did you download this from the official Norton site (symantec.com)?
Definetly not. It is too expensive to buy. this is a "friends version"

Last edited by xavier8200; 2006-01-09 at 23:17.
Old 2006-01-10, 05:46   Link #6
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Did 'Norton' actually do anything during the scan - i.e. did it find anything and repair it?
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 07:36   Link #7
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Give this a try...
Right click on one of the shortcuts on your desktop that is not showing the icon correctly and goto properties.

Note the path in Target.
Using explorer browse to that path and check if the file exists or not. If it doesn't exist then something has either moved or deleted it....

PS if you want to be cheap like me then AVG Free is a good way to go for an AV solution...

*EDIT*
Ah I misunderstood, I thought the shortcuts on your desktop were not showing their icons....
*/EDIT*

Last edited by grey_moon; 2006-01-10 at 13:48.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 12:52   Link #8
xavier8200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic
Did 'Norton' actually do anything during the scan - i.e. did it find anything and repair it?
nope norton found nothing at all
Old 2006-01-10, 13:28   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

It seems that your file associations were wiped. I don't know of a way to re-associate them automatically, but you should still be able to access the files if you use "Open With..." (right click the file; or, even when you normally double-click it, Windows should give you the option of selecting a program to use). To restore an association permanantly, just check off "always use this program to open this type of file" at the bottom of the program list. If a program isn't listed, you can manually add it to the list. It should all be fairly evident from the "choose program" window that'd pop up from "open with".
Old 2006-01-10, 14:57   Link #10
xavier8200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
It seems that your file associations were wiped. I don't know of a way to re-associate them automatically, but you should still be able to access the files if you use "Open With..." (right click the file; or, even when you normally double-click it, Windows should give you the option of selecting a program to use). To restore an association permanantly, just check off "always use this program to open this type of file" at the bottom of the program list. If a program isn't listed, you can manually add it to the list. It should all be fairly evident from the "choose program" window that'd pop up from "open with".

I tried that and when you get to the "pick a program from the list" There are No programs that are selectable.

Also, when I click on a file (lets say a word document) I get the usual things that you would get for a right click. Things like cut, paste, copy, properties etc.)
Old 2006-01-10, 20:17   Link #11
Ledgem
Love Yourself

If you go to "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel, are any programs listed? It sounds like maybe your registry was wiped, too. Use System Restore to see if that fixes it. If not, you may be better off just reinstalling Windows and all of your old programs.