AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-08-12, 12:11   Link #6761
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemperor View Post
i always like and respect Klashikari opinions (i love his blog)
You mean the one where he only makes one post per year? (Sorry Klash, I know from personal experience the difficulties of maintaining a blog.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_nick5 View Post
Any update on the progress of Episode 8? I'm holding off from reading it until it's been completely translated, can't wait.
There really is no point in asking, I'm afraid. The patch will be ready when it's ready. There'll be an update when there's something to announce.
Old 2011-08-12, 15:34   Link #6762
LaplaceNoMa

A bit offtopic but I didn't see anyone asking that question yet.

What are the chances of you translating Higanbana Witch-Hunt?
LaplaceNoMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 15:39   Link #6763
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
They don't plan to do anything after Umineko.
Old 2011-08-12, 15:42   Link #6764
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

We were actually thinking about that, depending how things are going for us after Umineko is done (as a matter of fact, I and Chrono had some interest in Rewrite).
As a matter of opinion, I'm really not thrilled by Higanbana, due to its presentation and exposure being focused on the disturbing/gloomy mood (not exactly chilling) with little to no interesting character, except the entitled character, to some degree.

Of course, this is only based on what the manga has unfolded so far and I may be proved wrong by its release this week. That said, it is too early to tell if we are going to make another project, let alone naming the next VN.
Old 2011-08-12, 15:43   Link #6765
Madman6510
Child of Man

I really wouldn't blame you if you decided not to take on another project. I mean, you've been doing this for what, 4 years now? You guys need a break eventually.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 16:03   Link #6766
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Chrono and Klash certainly does need it at least, lol...

Also I guess beyond the break thing, the level of passion and fandom Umineko created might not be present for future theorical projects.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 16:30   Link #6767
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

If you do decide to start another translation project, please make it something you'll definitely enjoy working on. The passion for Umineko really shines through in the translation, so please don't feel obliged to translate such-and-such a game just because we want it. Still, a ReWrite or Higanbana translation would be great (if there's some way of getting hold of the game).
Old 2011-08-12, 16:31   Link #6768
Madman6510
Child of Man

Actually, I would much prefer a Rewrite translation to a Higanbana translation if they did decide to pick something new up.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 16:33   Link #6769
xBTAx

I would love you guys even more if you did either of them.
xBTAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 16:56   Link #6770
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Translating Rewrite would be nice. Part of it is Ryukishi's work, after all.
Of course I hope Higanbana gets a translation too, but short stories might be easier to manage with Translation Aggregator.
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 17:36   Link #6771
catastrophe8
Self Proclaimed Detective

Rewrite would be awesome, but I think getting permission to fan translate it would be difficult as it is property of multiple companies
catastrophe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 18:49   Link #6772
Corfish1001

Rewrite or Higanbana, I would be excited to see either translated. However, if Witch-Hunt chose to quit after this, I could never blame them either. Translating Umineko for English speaking fans for nothing other than pure love of the series is no small feat, and I'll be forever grateful to them for bringing the game into my life.

So, cheers to Witch-Hunt for being simply awesome!
Corfish1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 01:08   Link #6773
arson88

^
Witch-Hunt's dedication is admirable.
arson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 01:46   Link #6774
seaburntd

ah wow, thanks so much for showing me how to resize the window (such a simple thing). I'll be quite happy with that for umi and higu
seaburntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 17:18   Link #6775
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaburntd View Post
ah wow, thanks so much for showing me how to resize the window (such a simple thing). I'll be quite happy with that for umi and higu
Please note that this configuration option only works in ONScripter. MangaGamer's release of Higurashi When They Cry uses Buriko General Interpreter which does not support this feature. Therefore there is no straightforward way to increase the window size for that game. Alternatively, you could decrease your display's resolution so the window appears larger, or use third-party software to upscale the image.

For the record, I've put up a list of ONScripter configuration options at the ONScripter-EN website.
Old 2011-08-16, 11:34   Link #6776
Oblivion

Sorry to get back off topic again but if it were between the two Vns, I'd prefer REwrite seeing as Key doesn't have many translators to begin with anyways.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 22:43   Link #6777
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

The problem with Rewrite is that I'm not sure Visual Art's would give their permission to release a fan translation (and they don't seem too interested in official translations anyway).

Sure, a patch could be released without Visual Art's permission, but that's generally discouraged within Denpa.

On the other hand, 07th Expansion have been very supportive of fan translations, so it is likely that they would allow a fan translation of Higanbana.
Old 2011-08-16, 22:54   Link #6778
xBTAx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
The problem with Rewrite is that I'm not sure Visual Art's would give their permission to release a fan translation (and they don't seem too interested in official translations anyway).

Sure, a patch could be released without Visual Art's permission, but that's generally discouraged within Denpa.

On the other hand, 07th Expansion have been very supportive of fan translations, so it is likely that they would allow a fan translation of Higanbana.
Oh, yes, if Witch Hunt wants the approval of the creators, Rewrite will never happen. I mean, you're technically locked from even trying to play it if you're not on a Japanese copy of Windows, so...
xBTAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 12:55   Link #6779
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

AppLocale could probably solve that problem, though?

Anyway, one advantage of translating Higanbana is that there is very little to do on the technical level. ONScripter-EN should be able to play the game more-or-less perfectly. Plus, it is easy to get at the script and add the translation. Witch Hunt have experience with translating NScripter games so it should be quite simple.

With Rewrite however, I'm not even sure what engine they're using… it might be more difficult to translate (especially if the engine can't deal with English text well).

That said, I'm sure that if Witch Hunt really want to translate Rewrite, they'll find a way.
Old 2011-08-17, 14:02   Link #6780
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
AppLocale could probably solve that problem, though?

Anyway, one advantage of translating Higanbana is that there is very little to do on the technical level. ONScripter-EN should be able to play the game more-or-less perfectly. Plus, it is easy to get at the script and add the translation. Witch Hunt have experience with translating NScripter games so it should be quite simple.

With Rewrite however, I'm not even sure what engine they're using… it might be more difficult to translate (especially if the engine can't deal with English text well).

That said, I'm sure that if Witch Hunt really want to translate Rewrite, they'll find a way.
Nope, it's not about the locale, but about Japanese version of Windows, as a different product like this. If you don't have that, a message pops up and says "This Game is Japan only" and some stuff about needing Japanese Windows and shuts the game. Of course, there's already ways to skip it, but it's not AppLocale. I agree waiting for Visual Arts to give a permission probably gets us nowhere.

Rewrite's engine is called Siglus Engine, which apparently is Key's own engine. So deciphering it would probably need some extra work. As you say, Higanbana is probably much more effortless, and apparently one collection is much shorter than an average Umineko episode actually. So it wouldn't need as much work as Umineko. Depending on how many installments there's going to be of course. But comparing Rewrite and Higanbana's First Night, there's visibly a huge difference in effort needed.

I'd love Witch Hunt to translate either of them, but I wouldn't blame them if they're going to take a break.
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation