AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-30, 05:45   Link #21
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I'm with Shiroth...I'd rather see something completely new, with few-to-none old characters reappearing.

It's the Macross way, after all...
I'd rather see Kawamori addressing the things he left unresolved than galloping off to do the next new project. And no, the movie doesn't count for me, since it's another continuity.

Hell, Macross freaking seven got how many OVA episodes before they moved on? I really do hope that they give Frontier some more love before their next project. The series especially needs it, given that it's ending was sub-optimal.
Old 2010-08-30, 05:47   Link #22
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

^I'd love some Macross Frontier singled out OVA stories, though not for the 30th anniversary. We need some extra special for that, like a new project.
Old 2010-08-30, 07:37   Link #23
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I'd rather see Kawamori addressing the things he left unresolved than galloping off to do the next new project. And no, the movie doesn't count for me, since it's another continuity.

Hell, Macross freaking seven got how many OVA episodes before they moved on? I really do hope that they give Frontier some more love before their next project. The series especially needs it, given that it's ending was sub-optimal.
Leaving things unresolved is ALSO the Macross way...

And Macross freakin' 7 really only got a half-hour movie and a four-part OVA before they moved on. Encore doesn't count, since those were just unbroadcast TV episodes.

Frontier is the only Macross story so far to get not one, but TWO theatrical movies. To me, that sounds like a lot of love given to the show.
Old 2010-08-30, 07:48   Link #24
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'd have to agree. And we're even getting a clips release, aren't we? I, for one, am really looking forward to it.

Old 2010-08-30, 10:28   Link #25
Arsham

daaamn i LOVE frontier best macros ever! and story was great only thing that boder me is how alto diched ranka multi times, and i need a answer about.....
which girl??? ranka or shery??? i want clear answer in next movie!
not some crapy happy everyone together ending, i wana know the real end of story
Old 2010-08-30, 11:53   Link #26
magnuskn

Quote:
Leaving things unresolved is ALSO the Macross way...

And Macross freakin' 7 really only got a half-hour movie and a four-part OVA before they moved on. Encore doesn't count, since those were just unbroadcast TV episodes.

Frontier is the only Macross story so far to get not one, but TWO theatrical movies. To me, that sounds like a lot of love given to the show.
My main gripe is that we get a re-telling, which, IMO, is superfluous, since the series was very good, excepting the non-resolution at the end. I really am a bit at a loss what the overachieving goal of making two movies with a new continuity is? More money than making OVA's?

The only other reasonable alternative I see is that Kawamori is hell-bent on "fixing" Ranka or didn't really like how his own series went down. The problem there is, making separate continuity movies doesn't fix the series... it still is its own continuity and its problems persist. The only way to actually fix them is to go back and do some OVA's ( or, better, a second season ) to actuallly address the underlying problems, most of which concern Ranka. It's not as if there isn't enough material with a possible cyborg/human conflict, which was set up quite thoroughly with what went down with Grace and the people from Galaxy.
Old 2010-08-30, 13:01   Link #27
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
More money than making OVA's?
Most likely.

Old 2010-08-30, 13:20   Link #28
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Most likely.
Sad isn't it?

Frontier needs to be resolved in the movies, if it isn't then it needs some other follow up media, preferably mainstream. Do you remember love? resolved the triangle in a nice way, I'd like that to happen with Frontier too, except they're building a future with a colony.
I don't agree with the way PLUS ended though. That was stupid.

I'd like a new project for the 30th anniversary though, Preferably a triangle with two guys and a girl this time .
Old 2010-08-30, 17:10   Link #29
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
I don't agree with the way PLUS ended though. That was stupid.
I like it, i mean it's better then showing the happy couple together after a certain death.

Quote:
I'd like a new project for the 30th anniversary though, Preferably a triangle with two guys and a girl this time .
So you didn't get enough of Macross 7 and Macross Plus?

If we see a triangle now with two males, it's obviously going to be bishies~
Old 2010-08-30, 17:33   Link #30
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I like it, i mean it's better then showing the happy couple together after a certain death.

I wouldn't mind a triangle with three women.
Old 2010-08-30, 18:42   Link #31
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
My main gripe is that we get a re-telling, which, IMO, is superfluous, since the series was very good, excepting the non-resolution at the end. I really am a bit at a loss what the overachieving goal of making two movies with a new continuity is? More money than making OVA's?
Do you also feel that DYRL is superfluous?
Old 2010-08-30, 19:32   Link #32
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Am I missing something? Or is this exactly what happened o.O

Quote:

I always need MOAR Bishies
Old 2010-08-31, 02:28   Link #33
magnuskn

Quote:
Do you also feel that DYRL is superfluous?
Nope. But, unless I remember incorrectly, SDFM had a real ending. Or did I imagine Misa and Hikaru ending up together, Minmay growing up enough to let Hikaru go, Khyron and Laplamiz being dead and all the rest?

And I know that a second season is a pipe dream ( although a sweet one ), but what speaks against some OVA's? Sometimes this Macross "This is how it must be" dogmatism gets mighty tiring. I want some resolution on the romantic front and I want it in the real continuity, not the movie one.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2010-08-31 at 02:42.
Old 2010-08-31, 02:43   Link #34
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Nope. But, unless I remember incorrectly, SDFM had a real ending. Or did I imagine Misa and Hikaru ending up together, Minmay growing up enough to let Hikaru go, Khyron and Laplamiz being dead and all the rest?
Frontier had a real ending, too. Peace was made with the Vajra, Galaxy was defeated, Grace was stopped, Sheryl was cured, Ranka regained her memories, Brera was freed, Ozma and Kathy got back together (and Bobby's okay with that), Leon was arrested, and you've asserted on many an occasion that THERE IS NO DOUBT that Alto chose Sheryl.

What more remains to be wrapped up, aside from whether Nanase will follow her heart and choose Ranka, or follow the cash and choose Luca?
Old 2010-08-31, 03:03   Link #35
magnuskn

Quote:
Frontier had a real ending, too. Peace was made with the Vajra, Galaxy was defeated, Grace was stopped, Sheryl was cured, Ranka regained her memories, Brera was freed, Ozma and Kathy got back together (and Bobby's okay with that), Leon was arrested, and you've asserted on many an occasion that THERE IS NO DOUBT that Alto chose Sheryl.
Doesn't change that it was left unresolved. Yeah, I am 100% sure that in the end Alto will get together with Sheryl. But leaving the main conflict of the show uinresolved is just shoddy storytelling. And I will never, ever understand why the writers thought it would make good storytelling sense. The only damn reason which seems likely is that they thought "more money if we don't upset the Ranka fans!", which is pretty goddamn pathetic hackery.

And what's the problem you have with one or a few more OVA's?

Quote:
What more remains to be wrapped up, aside from whether Nanase will follow her heart and choose Ranka, or follow the cash and choose Luca?
Besides that and the above mentioned romance resolution, there are literally tons of stuff which could be explored. How will Ranka react to Cathy getting together with Ozma? How will Bobby react? What will Ozma have to say to Ranka for running away and leaving Frontier in a ditch ( okay, seeing how he did the same, probably "Good job!" ^^ )? What will Klan do now, after the battle is done? How will Brera integrate into the familial union of the Lee's? How will Alto and his family interact. Hey, how will Sheryl be integrated in that family? Can we get some more "relationship time" with Sheryl and Alto, like in episode 23, pretty please?
How will Rankas complicity and running away be dealt with by the people of Frontier? How does the new government of Frontier shake out? What happens with Leon now?
Is Grace really dead dead?

Or how about something less character driven as the main plot for an OVA. How about that Birdman idol we saw Brera looking at during the end sequence. What's that about? Are there protoculture ruins on the planet? Or how about some resolution to what happened to the Galaxy colony. Are the people there all complicit or where they taken hostage by whomever where the backers of Grace?

So, please, don't give me "there's nothing more to tell". Just 5 minutes of thinking gave me all that.
Old 2010-08-31, 03:08   Link #36
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Am I missing something? Or is this exactly what happened o.O
Well it did, and it didn't.

Quote:

Exactly the point what i was going to make, and why a second season would seem pretty damn pointless at this stage. Just give a few OVA's that are set after the series, or during it. I don't mind either way.

As the reason behind the two films, i don't see what's wrong with going about a different story with the cast that you already have. Saying that, i've just always loved retelling films after a TV series. :3
Old 2010-08-31, 03:09   Link #37
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
I think it's gonna be a brand new OAV.
I think they're be far more money in a tv series.... it's not like Plus or Zero has ever sold anywhere near as good as Gundam Unicorn OVA 1. Anyway be interesting to see what 8-Bit do for the 30th aniversity project, in the mean time I'm really looking forward to the first tv project in Infinite Stratos which is airing next Jan.

Quote:
Besides that and the above mentioned romance resolution, there are literally tons of stuff which could be explored. How will Ranka react to Cathy getting together with Ozma? How will Bobby react? What will Ozma have to say to Ranka for running away and leaving Frontier in a ditch ( okay, seeing how he did the same, probably "Good job!" ^^ )? What will Klan do now, after the battle is done? How will Brera integrate into the familial union of the Lee's? How will Alto and his family interact. Hey, how will Sheryl be integrated in that family? Can we get some more "relationship time" with Sheryl and Alto, like in episode 23, pretty please?
How will Rankas complicity and running away be dealt with by the people of Frontier? How does the new government of Frontier shake out? What happens with Leon now?
Is Grace really dead dead?
Honestly none of this shit matters, all shows should have some unresolved things remaining and not have everything ticked off from a list. What should've been resolved though was the thing that drove and dominated the show, the love triangle. Now MacrossWorld old guard with sticks up their asses can get pissy all they want when the triangle is brought up, (not talking about you Yot) doesn't change the fact that the triangle dominated the show period It should've been resolved, ghostlightning's blog details why far better than I could so i wouldn't even try to half ass explain it when he's said if much better than I could.

Last edited by Westlo; 2010-08-31 at 03:19.
Old 2010-08-31, 03:16   Link #38
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Honestly none of this shit matters, all shows should have some unresolved things remaining and not have everything ticked off from a list. What should've been resolved though was the thing that drove and dominated the show, the love triangle. Now MacrossWorld old guard with sticks up their asses can get pissy all they want when the triangle is brought up, (not talking about you Yot) doesn't change the fact that the triangle dominated the show period It should've been resolved, ghostlightning's blog details why far better than I could so i wouldn't even try to half ass explain it when he's said if much better than I could.
Just responding to the scurillous assertion that there is nothing more to tell from Frontier, Westlo. Yeah, my main point is still the damn romance was left unresolved (which is different from "inconclusive", btw ) and that was pathetic storytelling and needs to be corrected in the series continuity. But nobody can tell me that an OVA would just consist of "Sheryl and Alto embrace, Ranka wails "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!", The End". There are still lots of things which could be done for one or more episodes of an OVA. A second season would need more stuff, but as I said, I just put five minutes of quite pissed off thinking into it, I imagine more creative people like Shoji Kawamori could conceivably come up with something more to do with these hugely popular characters than little me.

Whoever first says "Inconceivable!" gets an iocane powder coctail.
Old 2010-08-31, 05:52   Link #39
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

"Inconceivable!"

Old 2010-08-31, 06:10   Link #40
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
"Inconceivable!"
Have a cup of wine.

Tags