AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-06, 01:57   Link #341
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Finally found time and peace of mind to watch this, and reactions are mixed, but on the enjoyable side.

Spoiler for Spoilers:
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 03:29   Link #342
dark998

Pretty good despite the fast pace and the expected differences with the game. Though with the next day being 2-part episode they won't be taking down one Septentrion each time. Now THAT would have been insanely fast pace.

Also: ED >>>>>>> OP. In both visuals and song.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 04:28   Link #343
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Spoiler for Comparison to the game:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-04-06 at 11:02.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 06:46   Link #344
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Moreso than that actually, Devil Survivor and Persona are technically from the same franchise as well.
I think the Persona series isn't part of Shin Megami Tensei actually. That was added in North America and Europe to try and tie both series together for marketing purposes.
Old 2013-04-06, 09:43   Link #345
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I was wondering how they would handle the devil summoning; unlike Persona the characters don't have any defining creature to begin with.

So it looks like they gave the protagonist Byakko... I guess because they're both white... And blue...

Damn good production quality, lets hope it continues (unlikely)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
Also: ED >>>>>>> OP. In both visuals and song.
Most definitely, it's almost like a completely different team did the two of them.

The ED is kickass as hell.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 11:46   Link #346
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I think the Persona series isn't part of Shin Megami Tensei actually. That was added in North America and Europe to try and tie both series together for marketing purposes.
Try telling me that once you go back and have a look into "Shin Megami Tensei: If..." The connections between that game and Persona are somewhat evident.

And while they're called Personas in Persona, they most definitely use the exact same demon designs from the other Shin Megami Tensei titles. While minor, that's definitely a connection too.
Old 2013-04-06, 12:38   Link #347
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The game is by the same people who did Persona.
Not correct, but not wrong either. What you mean to say is that they're of the same franchise. Two completely different Atlus teams handled the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
It didn't start out under the SMT brand, but by Persona 3's time Atlus basically consolidated all the Megaten games under it. Now though, Persona's grown big enough to be its own brand, and even the team handling it has its own officially recognized P Studio.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2013-04-06 at 12:49.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 12:53   Link #348
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 13:01   Link #349
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
I was wondering how they would handle the devil summoning; unlike Persona the characters don't have any defining creature to begin with.

So it looks like they gave the protagonist Byakko... I guess because they're both white... And blue...

Damn good production quality, lets hope it continues (unlikely)

Most definitely, it's almost like a completely different team did the two of them.

The ED is kickass as hell.
Byakko going with someone that has the same color of hair as it sounds reasonable

I agree, the ED is just awesome.
Old 2013-04-06, 13:55   Link #350
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Try telling me that once you go back and have a look into "Shin Megami Tensei: If..." The connections between that game and Persona are somewhat evident.

And while they're called Personas in Persona, they most definitely use the exact same demon designs from the other Shin Megami Tensei titles. While minor, that's definitely a connection too.
As a storyline and a universe, If... and the Persona series are considered one. In a metafictional sense? No. For example, if you'll look at the "History" section of Atlus Japan's Strange Journey homepage, they list the games of the mainline series. If.. is there but not the Persona games. I think they do the same thing in their list of series in the untranslated MegaTen documentary on Youtube. Atlus considers Persona as a spinoff series, while If... is a mainline side game, even though they're part of the same timeline (strange, yes, but then again Atlus does make some odd decisions with their stories and characters). That's what Dextre's getting at, I believe.

Quote:
I'd really prefer they don't have any defining creature. One of the big differences between Personae and demons is that demons are treated as disposable tools. A Persona is basically a part of oneself, so it makes sense to make them unique to the characters. With demons, you're basically using a computer program to enslave something that'll happily screw humans over. Demons are not your friends (with very few exceptions). They will either eat you, enslave you, or make you suffer for the lulz.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 16:05   Link #351
Somnus
Eh?

I thought about joining the discussion of anime vs game, and then decided it wasn't worth the effort, when I started to remember the SAO conversations.

So instead, I'm going to drop in and say the first ep was fun and I enjoyed it from beginning to end.

More importantly, I'm VERY much a fan of the ED.
Old 2013-04-06, 18:12   Link #352
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This will be a nice change from Persona 4 in which I have no experience with Devil Summoner 2. Can just take the episodes as they come without worrying about comparisons or anything .

Pretty solid first episode. That trio really has gotten involved in something crazy. Looking forward to figuring out just what the heck is going on .
Old 2013-04-06, 18:55   Link #353
Shadow5YA

Quote:
If it hasn't yet, I'm sure it'll happen eventually. This JP organization and the government likely aren't going to want demons freely roaming Japan.
There IS a reason later why they can't leave Japan. I'll leave it to the anime to (hopefully) show how and why. I'll just say this: in a world where demons exist, your way of thinking is too narrow if you believe only humans can limit traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
A lot of deaths.. and only the youngsters could save the world.. pretty cliche....
This is false. If you look at the main cast list and profiles, you'll find that more than one of them are adults.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 20:27   Link #354
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I have no idea of the game is about but I liked this a lot!
Old 2013-04-06, 20:37   Link #355
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This seems like Persona meeting Tokyo Magnitude
Old 2013-04-07, 01:46   Link #356
OkamiNoKaze

Cool series, a darker Digimon/pokemon, speaking of which, I hope there is a Nocturne Anime one of these days, that would be cool.
Old 2013-04-07, 06:09   Link #357
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Funny, that's exactly how I would describe it, along with a dash of Evangelion.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 15:16   Link #358
Metalsnakezero
Trio Finale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
That's not a bad comparison.
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic176117_1.gif
Metalsnakezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 21:29   Link #359
ginger02

Curious, how dark is the show, given the first episode and previous work? With a title like that, not too sure if I should be expecting something blood and gore like highschool of the dead, or something more toned down like say Persona 4.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 21:34   Link #360
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
Curious, how dark is the show, given the first episode and previous work? With a title like that, not too sure if I should be expecting something blood and gore like highschool of the dead, or something more toned down like say Persona 4.
There are darker (far darker) stories/franchises within the Shin Megami metaverse.

The game is rated T, for teen, to put things in perspective.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlus, devil_survivor, index, persona