AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-05-16, 23:26   Link #1361
FateAnomaly

Maybe the women are just more blood thirsty than the guys.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 04:53   Link #1362
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Could have put this under "silly news" ... but actually I think its a great idea and culturally centered:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle7128300.ece

Wielding swords in samurai camp is the new aerobics for Japanese women

The sad part is that it is open to both genders but the men often drop out because they can't keep up.
Now this...
This I will check out and if I find a sports centre nearby with a class, I will go.
(hope the prices aren't too expensive per class)

I think you've just handed this shounen fanatic fangirl a wet dream Vexx <3

Edit: Okay... that was easy to find one example
Website

Never ceases to scare amaze me at how much Japanese men are almost androgynous...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2010-05-17 at 05:06.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 09:07   Link #1363
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

o.o

One look at that class is: YANDERE training camp. D:
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 10:46   Link #1364
Sparvid
*hic*

Mmm, sword-wielding women...

Although I am kinda curious of how often people get hit in an average class
If I was there, I'd probably go stand in a corner, far away from anyone else's reach...
Old 2010-05-17, 11:23   Link #1365
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
Although I am kinda curious of how often people get hit in an average class
If I was there, I'd probably go stand in a corner, far away from anyone else's reach...
The story was filed by AFP and was first released on France24 TV on May 12. And, yes, the instructor, Mr Takafuji Ukon, has thought about the obvious safety concerns.
Quote:
To avoid turning the health workout into a bloodbath, the swords are made of wood and urethane foam, but the determination of the participants is steely: the goal is to shed 5kg (11 pounds) in about a month.
The Times also reported the fact, pointing out that the swords were made of plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Never ceases to scare amaze me at how much Japanese men are almost androgynous...
The androgyny may not be as surprising if you consider how Mr Ukon is apparently one of the most famous traditional dancers in Japan.

TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 12:27   Link #1366
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

After seeing the video Mystique posted, hell *I'd* like to find classes like this. I *loathe* "disco aerobic" crap classes. Tai chi is part way there, but lacks the 'oomph'.

(shrug) I still do swordwork for exercise in the backyard (2handed weave and dual shortsword forms), but its just more productive and fun/uplifting to do it as a group. You tend to put more energy into it.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-05-17 at 12:47.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 20:07   Link #1367
Kudryavka

After watching Mitsudomoe's OP and reading up on Japanese school pools, it got me wondering.

-Is it true that almost all Japanese schools have pools, and use them for gym, teaching to swim, teaching how not to drown with heavy wet clothes on and whatnot?

-Is anime's constant depiction of high school kids having little else to do than hang out with friends and pretty girls and have fun in clubs completely wrong? I'm reading up on "exam hell" in Japan and related topics now, and it seems that come middle and high school, the majority of students have minimal freetime. Just read that when an American high school student went to a Japanese high school and talked about how he would drive to the mall, date, hang with friends, and talk on the phone for hours, all after school each day, the Japanese kids went green with envy.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 20:30   Link #1368
sergho

1. Is there discrimination against darker skinned Japanese by lighter skinned Japanese. Sometimes in the US lighter skinned blacks discriminate against darker skinned blacks and lighter skinned Mexicans discriminate against darker skinned Mexicans.

2. Do younger sisters fall romantically in love with their older brothers?

3. Is a girl's tripping and falling onto a boy a popular way of flirting?

4. How bad is the population implosion?
sergho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 21:05   Link #1369
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergho View Post
1. Is there discrimination against darker skinned Japanese by lighter skinned Japanese.
I think discrimination is the wrong word to use here, especially if you're comparing it to historic "discrimination" in the United States. It's true that generally, light skin is valued in Japanese culture, as historically speaking, lighter skin was associated with aristocrats or people of high status who did not have to perform manual labour out in the sun (and get tanned). You can see where the connections come in. But this does not mean that Japanese people with darker skin experience discrimination or anything like that.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 21:28   Link #1370
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
2. Do younger sisters fall romantically in love with their older brothers?
This reminds me a lot of Sasahara's response to being asked about little sister characters in Genshiken after the other club members learn he has a little sister, which goes something like this:

"I can safely say it's a fantasy created up by those who never had a real little sister."

Anyway, I'm going to guess it's relatively uncommon.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 21:44   Link #1371
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
This reminds me a lot of Sasahara's response to being asked about little sister characters in Genshiken after the other club members learn he has a little sister, which goes something like this:

"I can safely say it's a fantasy created up by those who never had a real little sister."

Anyway, I'm going to guess it's relatively uncommon.
I would agree with that statement. My sister and I fight all the time and romantic relationship between us is rather disgusting and something that I would not want to think about.

Now excuse me while I throw up for few minutes.
Old 2010-07-06, 09:28   Link #1372
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
After watching Mitsudomoe's OP and reading up on Japanese school pools, it got me wondering.

-Is it true that almost all Japanese schools have pools, and use them for gym, teaching to swim, teaching how not to drown with heavy wet clothes on and whatnot?
Yeah, this is a new cultural aspect that I'm currently engaging as well (the swimming season), it began in June and now the kids are currently having lessons or can have 'free time' after school is out.
As for the learning how to not drown with heavy wet clothes, yeah it's a custom that a native also explained to me about a month ago, lol.
The term is 着衣泳 (chaku i ei) "swimming fully clothed" and apparently an important part of a kids swimming education as they begin learning from a young age.
The drill for that though apparently is done over the summer holidays (coming two weeks time), so it's not a regular thing, and perhaps not even practiced in most schools, but yes, this concept exists.
Quote:
Is anime's constant depiction of high school kids having little else to do than hang out with friends and pretty girls and have fun in clubs completely wrong? I'm reading up on "exam hell" in Japan and related topics now, and it seems that come middle and high school, the majority of students have minimal freetime. Just read that when an American high school student went to a Japanese high school and talked about how he would drive to the mall, date, hang with friends, and talk on the phone for hours, all after school each day, the Japanese kids went green with envy.
Is life imitating art?
Or is art imitating life?

It's kinda a mix for both, but for most part I do think that art is imitating life but with a little cultural liberties for entertainment's sake.
JH seems to be the time when kids are 'encouraged' to join some kinda after school club and so all the time that they should be using for rest and study goes into the clubs. They usually stay until 6pm in the summer.
And then on top, there are those who also attend cram school, until maybe about 9pm or so.
So more than often half the kids are asleep in class or use school class time as 'nap time' while dealing with club activities and cram school outside of school.
To me, seeing the way these 12-15 year olds are breaking down physically is kinda saddening.
On one hand, some of the natives I talked to said that some of their best memories came from club time, rather than class time or otherwise, even though they were completely shattered and often stressed.
Most see the summer holiday as 'study time' or winter holidays as well, there is no distinct 'break time' or 'tune out time' for them it seems.
This is also due to the culture of prefecture competitions, the sports clubs of each school compete for real, so that aspect kinda enforces this 'duty' to train hard and do well in order to become #1.

The UK doesn't have this, if someone wants to take up a sport, they'd attend a class outside of school in their spare time, but we don't have borough-wide competitions (nothings serious or set as it is in Japan) in London.
Home time, is just that: Home time.
Quote:
Club President
Japanese schools' extra-curricular activities are centered around "club activities" organized by the students themselves. Each club will generally be assigned its own room or other facilities, will have an advisor (who doesn't always appear on screen), and will have a powerful president (kaicho) who'll be a significant character of some sort. For series that revolve around a specific club, the Club President frequently replaces the Student Council president in importance.

The three most commonly portrayed clubs are the student council, the school newspaper, and the Kendo team. For the student council, see Absurdly Powerful Student Council and Student Council President. For the newspaper, see School Newspaper Newshound. For the Kendo team, see Kendo Team Captain.

It's rare for a student to be a member of more than one club — club activities are generally too time-consuming to allow for it, and characters who do are generally the driven overachiever. The Ordinary High School Student who isn't a member of any club is said to be a member of the "Go Home Club". (Usagi does this in Sailor Moon when she gets to High School, as does Watanuki from XXX Holic and Kagura from Azumanga Daioh accuses the rest of the girls of this.)
The 'kitaku-bu' (going home club) was also a concept that I've only learnt in the last month, actually makes me smile, lol. I can't help but wonder if there's some kinda negative connection to it however (it's not only HS but in JHS as well)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 11:33   Link #1373
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's the occasional implication that members of the "go home" club grow up to become members of the NEET faction, or what we might call "slackers". (Not in Employment, Education or Training)
Old 2010-07-06, 21:01   Link #1374
sergho

Do Japanese people typically have locks on their bathroom doors?
sergho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 21:35   Link #1375
Kudryavka

To Mystique: Yeah, when I first read about jumping into pools with clothes on, I was like, What?? Then I realized that that's really a vital skill, since it's allegedly much harder to swim in full clothing than in a skin tight one piece, harder than one would think. I was also reading about how the kids were being taught not to take off their clothes in the water (apparently that's hard to do in water too), and to put any stray recyclable bottles and such in the ocean under their shirt, or tuck their shirt to make a big bubble to help them float. Now I'm thinking I should learn that, too, since I live ~10 miles from the Pacific. But where would I practice?

Quote:
Do Japanese people typically have locks on their bathroom doors?
I assume so, they are very picky on privacy in Japan. I know public bathroom doors have a very short space between the floor and the bottom of the door, much shorter than here in America.
Old 2010-07-06, 22:18   Link #1376
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
I'm thinking I should learn that, too, since I live ~10 miles from the Pacific. But where would I practice?
Just make sure to bring a friend along! Wouldn't want to lose you to the surf.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 00:31   Link #1377
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Just make sure to bring a friend along! Wouldn't want to lose you to the surf.
Woah man, wouldnt try that in the big blue. I'd get the banhammer for false alarms or something. I think I'll try the pool at the Y, but how can I get clearance to do that there??
Old 2010-07-07, 10:29   Link #1378
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Wait, what exactly is useful about knowing how to swim with clothes on? Even with someone drowning I think I'd have time to rip my shirt and pants off.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 11:49   Link #1379
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Wait, what exactly is useful about knowing how to swim with clothes on? Even with someone drowning I think I'd have time to rip my shirt and pants off.
Let's say you fall off a ferry... or the ferry sinks. Wow... you have your clothes on. You may not get a chance to strip before having to swim for a while. We used to train the "with clothes" scenario in the US Boy Scouts, I suppose they still do for the Swim merit badge.
Old 2010-07-07, 11:57   Link #1380
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Ah, that makes sense. Guess I wasn't thinking of all the possibilities.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture